• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Awesome, I can't wait until I can build mighty castles and forts above ground... can this be confirmed as a coming patch feature?
It would be nice to have more castle looking walls. Maybe even some that turn corners so as to make round towers. Drawbridge doors, etc. That would be an awesome DLC worth a lot of $$$$ to me.
:)

It would be nice to have more castle looking walls. Maybe even some that turn corners so as to make round towers. Drawbridge doors, etc. That would be an awesome DLC worth a lot of $$$$ to me.

that sounds like a good DLC pack but I would be happy with being able to use the bridges on top of defensive walls on the surface :)

If you think the idea of building roofs on buildings on the surface is a good idea, please reply to this thread in order to keep it on the top of the forum - this way, the developers will recognize its significance.

Even better: It would be cool if had a few Z-levels above ground so we can construct multi-level buildings.

Can the surface actually be put to productive use? :p

I'd love to know what purpose the surface offers right now as well. Seems like half a game alone up there :D

I'd love to know what purpose the surface offers right now as well. Seems like half a game alone up there :D

Well, as you might expect, all the land is fertile so it is perfect for farming.

I also think it would be interesting, for a challenge, to go completely against the grain and attempt to build a purely above-ground settlement.

Alas, bridges or floor tiles don't work above ground.

Mi casa looks like this and there is no way to cover up the top of these walls.
At least floor tiles should be allowed on any kind of floor period.

And... a ladder... I mean... seriously? What kind of dinky dwarven clan uses a ladder to get to the settlement's entrance hall?

And... a ladder... I mean... seriously? What kind of dinky dwarven clan uses a ladder to get to the settlement's entrance hall?

Yeah, that kind of bothers me as well- that I can't put floor tiles down to cover up the ugly.

A much more suitable entrance for a Dwarven home you have there.

That now brings to mind something else we need in the game - some rubble to place here and there. A broken pilar that was knock over by some nasty surface monsters would set that off perfectly.

Best tip I can think of is lower the entire map by one level so you can have roof tiles. At least as a workaround till the lads give us some Z levels above ground :p