• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I'm sure they employ some laborers. Plenty of city services aren't really skilled trades that would be represented by Clerks - you have people like janitors, delivery people, street vendors, road workers... and I would assume Laborer is the best match for them.
Seems like a good supposition. Either way, the fact that slaves don’t work in urban centers is a good indication that they won’t work in manufacturies either, since those are explicitly urban in Vicky 3.

Seems like a good supposition. Either way, the fact that slaves don’t work in urban centers is a good indication that they won’t work in manufacturies either, since those are explicitly urban in Vicky 3.
I don't know that this is true. We have an upcoming dev diary on urbanization. I don't know that we have any laws on migration that I recall, though, so manufactories likely lead to urbanization (but perhaps only insofar as they create available jobs?)

If not factories, then what types of buildings are slaves going to be gated out of?
It doesn't help to talk about "factories" generally. There are many specific buildings, each with their own inputs, outputs, jobs, requirements, and production method upgrades.. There is no "factory" building. And perhaps even within individual buildings, laborers/slaves would be gated out of specific production methods.

I don't know that this is true. We have an upcoming dev diary on urbanization. I don't know that we have any laws on migration that I recall, though, so manufactories likely lead to urbanization (but perhaps only insofar as they create available jobs?)

It doesn't help to talk about "factories" generally. There are many specific buildings, each with their own inputs, outputs, jobs, requirements, and production method upgrades.. There is no "factory" building.
Urbanization created by buildings seems to be fixed, even if the building is entirely full:

1639806020483.png

Manufacturing buildings also appear to only pop up visually in cities and are explicitly labeled as "Urban Buildings" as opposed to rural "Resource" and "Agricultural" Buildings back in Dev Diary 3:
1639806209274.png

And perhaps even within individual buildings, laborers/slaves would be gated out of specific production methods.
From what we've seen, Production Methods will reduce the number of laborers employed but not totally eliminate them:

1639806484470.png

Automation: adds industrial goods as input to reduce the building's unskilled workforce requirement

So to sum up, yes, Manufacturing buildings are distinct. They are urban. They can employ laborers, the number of which can be reduced (not eliminated) by different Production Methods. And they will almost certainly not employ slaves, which would lead to weird ahistorical outcomes like widespread industrial slavery.

Reactions:
Urbanization created by buildings seems to be fixed, even if the building is entirely full:

View attachment 787179
Manufacturing buildings also appear to only pop up visually in cities and are explicitly labeled as "Urban Buildings" as opposed to rural "Resource" and "Agricultural" Buildings back in Dev Diary 3:
View attachment 787180

From what we've seen, Production Methods will reduce the number of laborers employed but not totally eliminate them:

View attachment 787181

So to sum up, yes, Manufacturing buildings are distinct. They are urban. They can employ laborers, the number of which can be reduced (not eliminated) by different Production Methods. And they will almost certainly not employ slaves, which would lead to weird ahistorical outcomes like widespread industrial slavery.
Just to play devil's advocate, all of those dev diaries are quite old now - even DD#10 Infrastructure was released back in August. We don't know how the game has changed since then, especially in systems that weren't ready for the spotlight before, like urbanization.

Just to play devil's advocate, all of those dev diaries are quite old now - even DD#10 Infrastructure was released back in August. We don't know how the game has changed since then, especially in systems that weren't ready for the spotlight before, like urbanization.
If Urbanization output depended on employment level, it would lead to weird situations like a city blinking in and out of existence as the number of employed POPs fluctuated between 19.9K and 20K. I’m pretty confident that’s not changing.

Reactions:
Agreed. Ghost cities are still cities.

Reactions: