• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
THE YEARS OF FRUSTRATION: THE 1480S

The years 1481- 1490 could be summed up in one word - frustration.

Konstantinos XI had to wait for the war with the Lithuanians to end. Had to wait for his bride to grow up. There were plenty of other brides available , but the Patriarch wouldn't let Konstantinos XI divorce his child bride and marry someone more suitable. The Emperor had to wait for the truce with the ottomans to end. He was conscious he didn't have many years left and he still had so much to accomplish.

The Emir of Granada must have been afflicted by similar desires as he declared war on Castile -or just suffered from a suicidal impulse. Early 1481 saw a rash of revolts, notably in Lesbos and governments falling. That of the Crimea was a suitable reminder to the Byzantine Government that people could get uppity if not mollified. Those in the City were cheered by news of a victory over Lithuania in Ossetia and in Karaman over Karaman.

Switzerland had additional members - defections from the Holy Roman Empire (technically Switzerland was still a member, but completely ignored the Emperor) and Leinster in Ireland gave Brandenburg military access. No-one was really sure just who the Elector was, but he seemed to have limited geographical knowledge. Peasants on Rhodes may have been about to revolt, but had to deal with an earthquake as well.

The Byzantine empire lost a naval battle. This wasn't really surprising. When you send a single galley into the fray instead of the rest ofthe fleet and launch the main fleet in the wrong direction, it's entirely understandable. Bayezid rose to become ottoman Sultan and soon had conquests and conducted military reforms on both land and sea.

By the end of July, having sent the whole of the fleet into action, the Karamanese coastal raiders were finally removed. The Doukas married into the Castilian royal family much to Konstantinos' annoyance. Granada got into more wars. The Emir fell in love with a Christian. He was clearly mentally unstable.

In 1482, Serbia conned 162,000 ducats out of the Ottomans and their war ended. The Byzantine Empire had rebels in Kaffa and Anatolia, which had mercenaries despatched to resolve the situation. the mercenaries provided the strong voice of reason and order was soon restored. Cyprus declared war on Karaman. They were perfectly safe, the Karamanese had no more troops or ships or land not occupiued by the Byzantine Empire. More revolts in Varna and Attica ensued. Our solitary man in Karaman waiting a bout of synchronised looting was killed. Apparently, Karaman had an army hiding eslewhere that had now made it home. The brave Cypriots had something to do after all. The Cypriot army arrived shortly afterwards in Karaman and found themselves involved in a battle. They won, but found the whole experience too much to bear and ran back to their ships and home to Cyprus. They were honoured by a flag that bore the legend - ever faithful allies of the Romans, made citizens by honour! Thhis flag was the brain child of the new Prime Minister, as he called himself, one Megas Angelos. This did not go down well with either people or Senate.

Another war broke out in north africa. Delhi and Rajputana went to war . This eventually involved every Indian nation. PM Angelos though it would be a good idea for the Empire to get involved. Peasants in Smyrna and Achaia revolted. 1482 ended with our Kakheti vassals paying 462,000 ducats to Hungary to end their war. This may or may not have had something to do with peasants in Roumelia revolting as 1483 began. Najd became Ottoman vassals. Sultan Cem revolted. This was short lived. Somebody pointed out that Megas Angelos and Cem were close friends. Bursa, Lesbos and Rhodes all suffered revolts. So did Naxos. Second reports from Naxos told a different story. Apparently, they were karamanese troops, defeated by Cyprus, who walked all the way to Naxos.

A new Emir of Granada came to power. He was soon captured by Christians. Isabella and Ferdinand celebrated by forming Spain. Richard III rose to power in England. Venice and Milan started yet another war. The Karamanese sued for peace. Konstantinos XI ordered Angelos to annex them. He made them our vasslas. To add insult to injury , he was now receiving half their income on a monthly basis. [it's what you get clicking the wrong button.]

Teke and Germayian were now revolting. Kaffa soon joined them. Without the mercenaries, the rebels would have broken the Kingdom. The rebels were often, read usually, better equipped and lead than native Greek soldiers. Thomas was now seen in public a great deal more than Konstantinos, prompting speculation that Konstantinos was ill. The populace was convinced other wise by the appearance of the Varangian Guard on the streets of the City. Sus rejected our offer of military alliance. Quite why Angelos was trying to form alliances in north africa was not understood by other logothetes. More revolts in Macedonia and Vardar ought to have convinced anyone that Angelos was preparing a bolt hole. The Empire looked as if it were about to fall. At the end of 1483 a miracle happened. A Teuton army was defeated in Alania. The Teutons had massed a 100000 troops. These had been whittled down to 37,000 by attrition. The whole Imperial army had been thrown at it. They won. This wasn't quite enough to cause peace, but it gave the Imperial regiments a fresh bounce in their steps. Rebels were attacked. The Angelos faction was brought up on charges of treason Megas Angelos escaped but the rest of his House was not sao fortunate. Their estates were confiscated.

In mid 1484, the Ottomans went to war with the Ak Koyunklu. The opportunity to attack them seemed to have come, if only the pesky lithuanians could be bought off. The Ottomans picked a fight with Mazarandam as well.
In late 1484 Romanist Bohemia annexed Gelderland- that war had been going on off and on since Romanist Bohemia had inherited Hussite Bohemia. Castile and Portugal got into a war with the Papal States and England. This was a little offputting, because Castille was supposed to be Spain.

Finally, unable to stand the waiting anymore the Byzantine Empire declared war on the Ottomans. Our vassal allies dishonoured the call. They had to be re-added as allies to join in. Karaman wasn't an ally. It was more of a bolt-hole to go so the Ottomans couldn't attack troops. War was launched May 2 1485. By September 1485 it was discovered that the Ottomans had military access. Victory was secured in Bolu. The Ottomans stranded their main army besieging Corfu. The fleet made sure they went no-where. Ottoman forces made short work of Byzantine rebels they encountered. The ottomans showed their contempt for the Greeks by getting involved in another war, this time against Al Haasa.

1486 witnessed a succession of sieges completed on Ottoman territory and a sea-saw of victory and defeat of main naval fleets in the Sea of Marmara and the Aegean. Johann Cicero let us know he was the Elector of Brandenburg. This made a welcome change to addressing letters as 'To whom it may concern'.

Into 1487 and the English cede Aquitaine to Castille. Some new fangled concepts proving hard to adopt. More and more of the Ottoman provinces fell to the Empire. There were fewer troops from the north,since their peace with the Golden Horde. At sea, the ottoman navy had gained the upper hand. Our first attempt to establish a colony at ifni failed. Militant catholics were demanding that they be sent. So off they went. They'd been amongst Angelos' most loyal followers. Some Turk claiming to be a son of the previous Sultan asked for our support. He was sent away. Karaman and Cyprus signed a White Peace. The second attempt also failed. undeterred , more zealots were sent. The dungeons had a practically endless supply. These were allowed fresh air and decent food for a month before being sent off.

In February 1488 the Ottomans gave Sharqiyah back to to Al-Haasa. Later a third attempt failed. Ifni would be colonised if it was the last thing the prisoners would ever do. Burgundy inherited Brittany. This marked a return to life for Burgundy.

1489 was a bad year - still no peace with Lithuania. Cyprus was annexed by Venice. Venice attacked Hungary. It got better mid year as the Imperial army engaged the ottomans on Corfu and destroyed them, defeating several naval attempts to rescue them. This was the last service of Leo the Armenian, a brilliant general who had fought countless battles. He had , however, been overlooked in terms of honours. His departure left a gigantic hole in the quality of Byzantine commanders.

In October 1489, Ferdinand and Isabella tried again to form Spain. hopefully, this attempt would fare better than the first. A colony was successfully established at ifni. Rumours suggested the colonists had the services of Leo the Armenian.

Into 1490 and Konstantinos had his first son. The Ottomans gained land off the Mamluks without even fighting and didn't seem to care that their government had collapsed. Spain began the final war against Granada. Our colony in Ifni expanded. The City received thousands of new subjects fleeing Ottoman lands.

Konstantinos vowed he'd live to see the destruction of the Ottoman Empire, gain lands off Lithuania and have four sons. He also wanted to annex the vassal states of the Caucasus.

Konstantinos will celebrate his 90th birthday in the coming episode. There are some things he doesn't notice.

Lithuania did well, took some provinces off Crimea and got a common border. I think they had a core on one of Byzantine's provinces and DoWed. It wasn't so much the fact they declared war, but the huge armies of Livonians and Teutonics that made straight for the Caucasus. Even after the Lithuanian southern provinces were got off after Lithuania lost a war, they'd send 70 galleys round and so the war just kept on going and going. Byzantium couldn't get the warscore to persuade Lithuania to make a White Peace.

How did you manage to keep Konstantinos alive that long? :D

Reloads. Though not that many from what I can remember. I had to reload more because the game crashed. I wanted Konstantinos to get to 1501 and after that nature could take its course. in the event there was something else I wanted to fit in before he died, but I had to reload a couple of times to stop a BB war from starting. Peace had actually come to Byzantium in the 1480s with the fall of the Turkish and Lithuanian governments -I'd forgotten that about EU2.

Cool to see that this AAR is still going after all this time. It has been a while since I last visited the forums, and then it is very cool to see that some of the old stories are still alive. Especially that someone is still keeping EU2 AARs alive :)

It is cool you have managed to keep Konstantinos alive that long, let us just hope he will live for even a little bit longer so he can succeed in this plans and his desire to see the Ottoman Empire destroyed :)

THREE EMPERORS c 1521

My name is Nicephoras Komnenos. In a few days from now my wife and I will be dead. The emperor's personal assassins are on their way. My sons are safe. At least that's what I tell Syygia. Michael IX will not suffer any of the old logothetes from the previous reign to survive. It's 1521 and the Empire of Byzantium has endured three decades of difficulty.

A few weeks later and Michael IX receives news that Nicephoras Komnenos and his wife, Syygia, are dead and is handed a document entitled the Secret histories of the Palaialogos. Michael will read the document and decide on the fate of House Komnenos.

"It's the 1st January 1491 and I, Nicephoras Komnenos, am 21 and Postal Logothete. it's a birthday present of a sort. old Konstantinos XI Dragases sort of presented the position to me. In reality, it was the Empress who suggested it. Why, you might ask would the Empress ask the Emperor for a position for me and an exalted one at that? I'm her lover, that's why. I have all the power of the Empire at my command and don't have to worry about assassins (ironic considering his fate, Michael thought): that's something for the wearer of the crown to worry about. I'm the Empire's spymaster and as such I get to send out the assassins.

Salomoni I rose to the throne in Abkhazia and sent us an embassy. I was able to tell the emperor that rebels in Makedonia had been defeated. Spain and Portugal had received some unlikely help in their war against Granada, Fante and Sanhadja. Tlemcen was now their ally. The Circassians were well pleased by the gift the Empire had sent

The Emperor asked how our war with the Ottomans and the Lithuanians was going. They had been separate wars. Both had come to an end with the collapse of their governemnts. The Empire had been left with a couple of Lithuanian provinces and its fleet commander, who had been enjoying our hospitality for some years. All but the ottoman capital province was now part of the Empire. We had doubled our number of provinces.

Rebels in Bolu poved difficult to defeat in 1491. Two armies were destroyed and one defeated a number of times. The Lazio regiment would keep at it. The only bright spot was our success in expanding the colony at Ifni.

In May France, Brittany, Trier and Savoy declared war on Burgundy. This would be a very one sided war. \In June Hungary and our vassals in Kahketi made peace. Kakheti paid 350 000 ducats. Moldavia gained three provinces from Hungary.

In July the Ottomans blinded a couple of Venetian envoys. Venice declared war on the Ottomans. The Hadramut ambassador announced that Hadramut had joined the war on the same side as Kara Koyunlu, Aden and Najd in their war against

Columbus set sail west from Spain. He claimed he would reach China sailing west. Any idiot knew he'd fall off the edge of the world.

January 1, 1492 : Charles VIII rose to the throne in France. A few days later Kara Koyunlu accepted our generous peace offer. It's amazing what 25000 ducats can buy you. The Mamluks had a particularly nasty outbreak of plague. Travel to their lands was strictly prohibited. A missionary announced he'd converted some heretics. A number of Catholic provinces had heretics. That number was now one fewer. The rebels in Bolu finally gave up.
The Swedes paid us a diplomatic visit. They'd swapped a war with Austria for one with Russia. The Empire as allies of Russia hoped we wouldn't get dragged in as well. Alexander VI Borgia rose to the position of Pope. A ruthless hedonist, many considered the Devil's servant. He soon forced Spain to expel the Jews.

The Spanish provinces of Gabes and Sfax defected to Tripoli. They'd seen Portugal get Gibraltar off Granada. Spain was not doing well enough to be considered as a royal marriage partner.

We discovered Tonkin. The Borgias annihilated political factions in the Papal States. We made friends with Dai Viet. You can never have too many places of refuge. Serious consideration was given to declaring war on the Borgias, but the Ottomans granted Brandenburg military access. Their sole province right next to the City, concern was given more to the intentions of Sweden and its northern alliance. Kahketi made peace with the final state it was at war with.

Tuscany declared war on the Papal States, who had England and Urbino as their allies. Whether this was a factor peasants in Germiyan revolted. This was the start of a massive peasant revolt. Columbus returned not having found a route to China but rather had discovered a new world. Many would rather he had fallen off the edge of the world.

I had the pleasure to announce to the Emperor that Moldavia had joined our Military Alliance with Serbia, Albania and Circassia The Emperor said he thought we'd annexed Serbia and Albania.

August 21, 1493 : Maximilian I rose to the throne in Austria.
August 21, 1493 : The Holy Roman Empire has elected Johann Cicero of Brandenburg as emperor.. a momentous day. The fall of the House of Habsburg. The Senate did not share my elation. Brandenburg was part of the northern alliance at war with our good friends the Russians. I was able to persuade the Dai Viet to share their explorations. I kept some of the information they shared a secret. My relatinship with the Empress had hit a rocky patch.

January 1, 1494 : Walther II von Plettenberg rose to the throne in Livonian Confederation. He was an inveterate hater of the Byzantine Empire and all our interests

The Papal States was hit by a political scandal. Lucrezia Borgia was the Pope's mistress. She was also his daughter. Sadly, there was no-one in the Vatican with the power to force Alexander VI to stand down. Denmark annexed Norway. Whilst that didn't change the politics of the north, it did represent hundreds of thousands of ducats poured down the drain in an attempt to woo Norway to our side. Popular reaction to the news from the north prompted enthusiasm for the army. When the northern war did end, Denmark paid 7000 ducats to Russia. Denmark immediately made Brandeburg their vassal. The HRE was now a vassal. The northern alliance declared war on Romanist Bohemia. Poland joined them. Austria belatedly joined on Bohemia's side. No one really gave them a cat in Alexander Borgia's chamber of a chance of winning. Even Baden joining Bohemia did not not excite the Senate enough to cast our armies alongside Bohemia. Kakheti paid Milan 200000 ducats. How many wars did they have going on? Tuscany cede Romagna to the Papal States. In celebration we took a loan to build a Cathedral. The news brought us all together. Even the Empress was moved to restore me to her favour.

July 3, 1495 : Byzantine Empire declared war upon Candar.
July 3, 1495 : Byzantine Empire declared war upon Ottoman Empire.
Aden, Najd and joined the war on the same side as the Ottoman Empire in their war against Byzantine Empire. We swept their fleet from the sea in one day and 12 days afterthe start of the war, we initiated a siege of their capital.
We defeated Candar in Sinop. It was hard to remember that we were fighting other enemies. This was the last war of the Ottomans. We were about to destroy them. This we accomplished 22 February 1496. We had failed to convert Bursa, but this news was lost in the tumult that accompanied the destruction of the Ottomans.

Austria cede Oels to Poland and paid the Danes 24,000 ducats, They were at war with another alliance. Fortunately, the Poles stopped being vassals of the Danes.

June 16, 1496 : We entered a Royal Marriage with Poland. Princess Syygia. She became my wife. Publically the Empress was supportive. in private she demanded that i spend a great deal of time with her. naturally, tongues wagged. Where I could, I cut that out. Hannover stopped being the vassals of the Danes. They still held Brandenburg as vassals. The terrible prospect of a massive Denmark had receded, thanks to the work of Imperial agents who would never receive the thanks they deserved. Candar became our vassal; their province of Sinope became ours. Kahketi hated us. It would take a considerable amount of money before we could annex them.

Despite the efforts of our diplomats, the Poles again offered up a daughter of the ruling house to the Danes. Circassia declined the opportunity to be annexed by us. I'd blame the Foreign Minister were that not I. The Empire had already made one official very rich and would add to his already considerable wealth putting the Empire in position to offer annexation again. France gained half a dozen Burgundian provinces including the trading centre of Antwerpen. England waited for the French to finish one war before starting their own. How utterly honourable!

Hungary attacked Moldavia who neglected to call us to arms. England's war with France didn't lastvery long. Two provinces in Normandy became French. Moldavia did finally get around to calling us in.

October 3, 1497 : Political Crisis happened to us. That doesn't do it justice. 6 Logothetes committed suicide. My elder brother Basil became First Minister. I still lead the government, but Kontantinos said that what had happened had caused his confidence in me to drop considerably. I left the audience chamber in a state of panic. I had been spending too much time with the women in my life to fully understand what had been going on. It was late that evening as I was sitting reading reports from my top agents that I finally learnt what had happened. I did know that the Imperial bodyguards had made the arrests prior to the suicides.

In walked Ioannes and Alexios. That in itself wasn't unusual, they'd visited often. Now it has been said that Ioannes V was the most beautiful man ever to live. These two, his grandsons, may take that title. Ioannes had been born Oct 3 1487 and Alexios Aug 19 1489.

Ioannes explained, "Those logothetes were caught having sex with us." I was scandalised. More so , because I hadn't known anything about this. Clearly the guards had.

"Highnesses, had I known I would have put a stop to it," I said. Alexios looked at Ioannes who continued, "Yes, we know. That is why we took steps to ensure that you didn't." To say I was dumfounded would have been an understatement. In the half light these boys looked positively demonic. " We shall come to you in two years, It would upset mother too much were you to be killed. Start a family in that time, whilst you can." I couldn't believe it. Somebody must have paid them to say that. Over the next couple of years, my wife presented me with two sons. All was well. The Empress was especially friendly, too. Fortunately, she did not conceive. Not that luck played a part.

I soon put that unsettling incident behind me. Try as we might, Impoerial agents could discover nothing. That in itself was worrying. Russia took four provinces off Kazan. Sweden became a Danish vassal. Toom uch time spent keeping our top agents at home. These were once more despatched to undo the hold Denmark had over Sweden and Brandenburg. Other agents reported success in causing clan wars in Ak Koyunlu. Peasants in Corfu were revolting. I despatched agents to Venice certain they intended to go to war with us. Venice soon after cancelled the military access they had. France annexed Savoy. The Swiss had thrown Louis XII envoys out of their country.

Hungary paid us 138000 ducats. It had been a nice little war. Our army promptly lost a battle against rebels in Bulgaria. Kaistor Notaras who had negotiated the treaty with Hungary was retained as our top diplomat. He would become a political confidant and friend.

December 25, 1498 : Russia joined the war on the same side as Serbia, Imereti, Albania and Abkhazia in their war
against Teutonic Order, Lithuania and Livonian Confederation. This was a war we would soon be joining.

January 10, 1499 : Joachim I Nestor rose to the throne in Brandenburg. The Holy Roman Empire has elected Joachim I Nestor of Brandenburg as emperor. He wasn't a Danish vassal either. Loius XII invaded Milan. Our tax receipts were down for 1499 as a result of peasant revolts and embezzlement. The finance logothete had taken his own sweet time to tell me.

March 1, 1499 : A White Peace was signed between Byzantine Empire and Aden, Najd and Hadramut. Kaistor Notaros signed for the Empire.

An army unit had been deployed in Thessaly to help convert the locals. June 1, 1499 : Conversion by the Sword happened to us. Those who didn't convert ran amok killing troops in province and those newly raised to help them. Our mercenary regiments would be called on, again.

Aug 2 1499: the Emperor awarded me Cyprus. I've been out to get everyone settled. My longstanding affair is over with the Empress. The Emperor and Empress were sleeping together again. It'll be a miracle if they succeed in producing another son, given the Emperor's age.

I'd returned to the City Oct 2 to find chaos. My elder brother had committed suicide. The Russians had paid the Teutonic Order some money and accused us of breaking our guarantees. We hadn't received any request for assistance. I appointed Kaistor Notaros as First Minister. The look he gave me when I asked about the Emperor's health was poignant. The Empress was pregnant again, but the Emperor may not live to see his son born. We had to ensure that all our vassals were annexed before he died - Albania, Serbia, Kahketi, Immerti and Circassia.

Oct 3 1499 The Senate debated our lack of support in the northern war, Assurances were given that our guarantee meant exactly that. it had been a good day. The Empress had yet to summon me. even though we were no longer intimate, she still relied on my guidance to advise the Emperor. Thus it was that I was not surprised to see Imperial Guardsmen arrive to escort me to the palace. I was distinctly surprised however to arrive at the suite occupied by the Imperial princes Ioannes and Alexios.

As usual, Ioannes spoke," We said we'd summon you on this day two years ago."

"You have got to be kidding me," I said. "Very funny!" Alexios chimed in. Oh, I thought. my luck has finally run out. In the Imeprial princes bedchamber with the princes both naked and the guards just outside the door. All it would take would be one call and I'd be an unfortunate suicide.

Ioannes said, "Your brother wanted your position. He had to go." What, these monsters had murdered my brother?
"My brother was an honourable man," I said. "Your brother," Ioannes said. "Was like half the men in this City -any boy would do. He wasn't the marrying kind and neither are we. You were good enough for Mother, you're good enough for us. You're ours for as long as we live. You'd better do whatever we want or you will not live through the night."

What did they mean, they wouldn't marry? That would be a disaster for the Empire. I had no choice but to do as they demanded and leave in the morning to compartmentalise and put on my game face running the Empire and blank face to live the nights of my living hell.

Milan became vassals of Austria in 1500. Cephallonia stopped being our vassals. Bandits still roamed the countryside. They never quite exterminated the population. The murderers of Konstantinos' first wife deserved no mercy. They would receive none. Sweden erupted into civil war.

April 1, 1500 : We converted the heretics and heathens in Roumelia to the one true faith. That was no joke.
May 14, 1500 : France annexed Brittany.

May 17, 1500 : A Heir to the Crown happened to us. Michael was born. The vassals were annexed. Sadly Konstantinos XI Dragases died. The following day all the vassal that had been annexed, were re-released as vassals. Ioannes IX was now Autokrator. Our vassals formed their own alliance with Abkhazi and Cephallonia. The declared war on the Teutonic Order. So too did Poland and the whole northern alliance. Ioannes IX took his first logothete meeting and said he didn't care. First Minister Notaras persuaded the Spanish to share their explorations map with us. We saw what they had discovered.

The Safavids rose in Persia. took over much of the empires of Iraq and the Ak Koyunlu and went Shi'ite. Since that reduced the power of our neighbours, the Senate was not itching for military action. It would only be a matter of time before war would come.

The Danes were decisively defeated at Ditsmarken. Switzerland had additional members.The two were not connected.

The recovery of lands lost in previous centuries posed a problem. And an opportunity. The coronation of Ionanes IX had gone off without a hitch. If foreign dignitaries had expressed discontent that their wives were not allowed to attend, they soon saw that no females were in attendance. The muslims in the old Ottoman capital province were brought to the True Faith. Nobles receive their ancestral lands back.

The Turkish nobility were brought into the City. Ioannes had been right about what half the men in the City wanted. The other half were installed over the rest of the Empire. I'd made Adrianople the effective capital of the Empire. Ioannes ordered all the women out of the city, with one exception. My household in the City had to all women, but I couldn't touch any of them and there were Imperial Guardsmen there to make sure I didn't. Ioannes mades sure goodlooking youths were brought back by merchants. The Dowager Empress and Michael had moved up the coast to Sesembria. For a while, Ioannes seemed tyo forget about them. Vardar converted.Outwardly the Empire was at peace and prosperous. Outside the City good men and women were promoted. Within the City, depravity was the order of the day. Had the Good Lord looked down, he'd have seen scenes worse than Sodom and Gomorrah.

Sweden ceased to be vassals of the Danes. That was good news. Cesare Borgia became ruler of Urbino. He was the son of Alexander VI. Neither Rome seemed to be serving Christ. The women outside the Capital had broken in some new land, ere they would have starved.

I travelled up to Sesembria Nov 18 1502 to assure the Empress that Michael would accede to the throne as Michael IX. I'm not sure she believed me, but I tried to give her what comfort I could that night. I held her hand as she slipped from life. Michael believes I went there to kill her. I did not.

October 11, 1503 : Julius II rose to the throne in Papal States. Finally, the tyranny of Alexander VI is over. Europe began to divide for and against the League of Cambrai.

Kaistor Notaras married Christina of Denmark. We signed a trade agreement withthe Papal States. Austria got into another two front war against Venice in the south and the northern alliance. Milan gained Friuli. Our women of the land broke in more new land. If Ioannes wanted them dead, they were more than frustrating him. The Papal States started the Swiss Guard. That they were all our Imperial Guards who could no longer stomach Ioannes' excesses required some nimble thinking to explain away. Serbia paid 200000 ducats to Lithuania. Somehow they'd managed to fight a long war and not call us in - the war surviving the brief annexation. Sweden paid the Teutonic Order 109,000 ducats for peace.

In August 1505 a group of Lithuanian nobles defected to Russia. Lithuania sent an ambassador to the City to protest our involvement. The ambassador brought his son with him. The son was set upon by a gang and found in the morning by the city guard in a very bad way. The Lithuanian ambassador expressed outrage. Ioannes IX just laughed at him and so the Emoire found itself at war. Along for the ride came the Orders of the Teutons and Livonians. von Plettenberg would march on the City.

The war did not begin well. None of our vassal allies joined .They all had to be won over. Our army in Kouban was unprepared for the Lithuanian assault and was wiped out. Fortunately our army in Serbia was better lead by Alexis Callitzes and wiped out the Lithuanian army. The Teutons ceded Kulmerland to the Danes. The Danes could have taken much more. The Livonian fleet was destroyed in the Sea of Marmara. We converted the Bulgarians to the One True Faith. We defeated the Livonians and Lithuanians in Dykra and the Teutons in Kouban. Their fleet was defeated in the Sea of Azov, but escaped to port. The bourgeois chose this time to make a list of their demands. Ioannes chose to invite their sons to one of his orgies in the palace.

The war was deeply offensive to the Serbs. We defeated the Teutons and the Lithuanians at Dykra again. We iniitated a siege in the Pontic Steppes. We defeated the Lionians and Tetuons in Kouban again. Whilst they were attacking separately, we held the upper hand. Once they combined their forces, though, it was another matter. Our forces soon had to leave Kouban. Our forces settled in to siege Doros. Our missionaries converted Euboea.

Our forces in Circassia defeated three armies in detail. Moldavia gave up paying over 24000 ducats and Ruthenia to Lithuania. Our forces settled down to a siege in Don.

The rising tide of corruption had to be ignored in 1507. We were fighting a numerically and technologically superior enemy. We had to keep our fleet united, the one area we had superiority and wait for 100000 enemy troops to winter in the Caucusus mountains. Then destroy the survivors. von Flattenberg may beat our armies, but winter would see him perish. Zaporiska was the next province we sieged. We began to establish Greek colonies in the former Turkish lands that had been Greek before that.

France took the rest of Normandy off England. The Medici bought their way to power in Tuscany and Urbino.

September 17, 1507 : We captured the province of Zaporozhia from Lithuania
September 22, 1507 : Byzantine Empire accepted peace with Lithuania on the following terms : Lithuania pays
38, 000 in indemnities.
September 22, 1507 : Kouban has been besieged by Livonian Confederation
September 22, 1507 : Byzantine Empire accepted peace with Teutonic Order on the following terms : Teutonic
Order pays 114, 000 in indemnities.
September 25, 1507 : Lithuania annexed Teutonic Order.
October 12, 1507 : Lithuania went with Let's restore them in The Lands of Teutonic Order.
October 12, 1507 : The people of Teutonic Order declared independence from Lithuania.
October 12, 1507 : Teutonic Order became Vassals of Lithuania.
October 12, 1507 : Friedrich von Meissen rose to the throne in Teutonic Order.

None of that made any sense. If someone had annexed the Livonian Order, now that would have made my day. The Livonian Order and Lithuania then attacked the Teutonic Knights. This made even less sense.

1508 and Spain tried another time to annex Granada. Hungary and Austria had another war. Inside the Empire, people murned the fallen and tried to look after the returning wounded. Ioannes IX tried to get the Senate to allow marriage between men. I managed to get the whole Senate present and the motion was narrowly defeated. I went on a tour of ancestral Komnenos estates A war between Bavaria and Burgundy managed to involve most of the HRE.

The Empire inherited Circassia. my "tour" wasn't without some benefit. I did have to join a siege to retake Trebizon. I got back just in time to celebrate my 39th birthday. Alexios IV was now Emperor. He'd been found standing over Ioannes IX's body with a bloody paper knife. My paper knife. I'd found Michael crying in his room at my townhouse.

The coronation of Alexios IV was attended by women. Women were allowed back into the City. I delayed inviting everyone back. Poland had become a vassal of Denmark again. Sinope wasn't converted and revolts broke out.

Alexios IV was far more devious than his brother. I wasn't released from my "duties" and nor were any noble or priest. There was a semblance of normalcy, but that was all.

Venice declared war on Hungary and soon came to the realization that it was in great danger. Cologne was annexed by Trier. Spain annexed Granada. Corfu was converted. More and more missioneires were acting across the Empire. In part a desire to save souls and the other removing them from the temptation in the City. Spain finally decided that Columbus had discovered a new world rather than a part of the east.

Austria finally won a war and took Marchfield off Hungary. They had no doubt benefitted from the military advisors we had sent to help them. our Incan friends shared their maps with us.

In 1510 France gained Lorraine and Tirol from the Palatinate. They were too close to Imperial terrirtory for my liking.
Achaia and Varna became Catholic. Spain and Portugal divided the New World between them, courtesy of the Pope.
Berg became vassals of France. France was becoming as dangerous as Denmark.

A number of failed conversion meant there were rebellions. Lesbos was converted. Rebellions were crushed and Alexios IV was determined to defeat the Mamluks. War was declared October 10 1510. Dulkadir joined the Mamluks.
Serbia, Moldavia, Albania and Circassia joined us.

A year after the war started we initiated a siege of Alexandria. This was the prize we were after. Rhodes was converted.God was smiling on our enterprise.

Into 1512 and the northern alliance had another go at Austria's. The Incan empire granted us military access. Notaras said he had intended to ask some other country but had been looking at the wrong sheet of papers. He resigned on the spot. I took over the position. Notaras had avoided Alexios' requests to join his parties. Even Notaras had run out of excuses. I was sad to see him go. He'd been a good ally.
England declared was on Scotland. That was destined to be a mistake of the highest order. Alexios IV insisted Michael attend a party on 17 May 1512, his 12th birthday. Naturally, Alexios expected me to ruin Michael. So I did. Every week thereafter he sent Michael to my home for further indoctrination. I bribed a guard with a very pretty young women and introduced Michael to girls. He got indoctrinated alright. Just not the way Alexios planned.

Livonia stole a province from the Teutonic Order. The Livonian Order just offended. My sense of morals? After 14 years with Ioannes and Alexios, I couldn't really claim to have any. I despised the Livonian Order. I felt slightly better learning that Menteshe had converted.

The war against the Mamluks and Dulkadir was going very well. So Oct 30 1512 and Lithuania declared war on us.Flattenberg just joined in alongside them. Moldavia dishonoured our alliance, refused a pleasant invitation to rejoin and then joined one that can only be described as unfriendly. If we started losing too badly against Lithuania, they'd all join in against us. Germiyan converted. The Incans rejected our alliance proposal. We had a slot now. Kahketi was now just our worst enemy. Then they merely hated us.

Russia annexed Kazan. Kouban fell to the Livonians. The Lithuanians sieged Dobrugea. We countered and sieged Doros held by Lithuania. Into 1514 and we lost a naval battle against the Livonians. One ship had been detached and should have been sent to blockade another sea province, but the wrong fleet got moved. Once the right fleet went back, we got our ship back and stole the Livonian maps. We did defeat the Lithuanian navy again in the Sea of Marmara. Our missionaries converted Anatolia. We were now just waiting for our sieges to complete against the Mamluks.

The great feud with the Phocas family had been ended and one of their number married a Saxon princess. Alexios IV had wriggled out of that match.

The Lithuanians arrived to siege Alania.. They wanted our gold. Their greed would be their undoing.

1515 and the wars continued. There were many all around the world. Our missionaries converted Anatolia. Crimea arose and put an end to the Golden Horde.

1516 and Scotland cede Ulster to Leinster. My predictions of dire defeat had proved groundless. This time. England had just too many enemies. The Danes paid Austria 206000 ducats. The Fuggers were doing Austria proud. Sweden declared war on Russia. That kept the alliance we distrusted off our backs. More opportunities for the Danesto lose. Austria gained three provinces from Bavaria. Our biggest setbacks were now from rebels.

28 July 1516 and my good policies in Government finally paid off. Bolu was finally converted. Portugal annexed Tuscany. Troops began to move north in greater numbers. The tide of war ebbed and flowed. Rebels took Corsica and that had to be retaken. A new centre of trade opened in Aleppo. We made a point to get that too. By 1517, the war had gone on so long that we needed a loan to raise more troops. Artisans rejoiced that a tax had been removed. Spain annexed Burgundy. A status quo peace was signed with Lithuania in September. Now we just had to defeat the rebels. The Livonians carried on fighting us.

November 21, 1518 : Byzantine Empire declared war upon Venice. Alexios had decided the Empire hadn't shed enough blood. Our allies and vassals reluctantly joined in the war.

Into 1519 and I'd lost control briefly of the Logothetes. The men I'd promoted into the vacancies were corrupt to the bone. Fortunately, they could be relied on to vote my way all the time. We annexed the Order of St John and the island of Malta. Dulkadir defected to us and we released them as vassals. We released Candar as well. Why you may ask? Mamluk rebels seized Cairo and the war ended with the Maluks brken.. We'd been in control of over a dozen of their provinces including Medina. Livonia eventually peaced out for 25000 ducats.

Venetian expeditionary forces had established themselves in Cyrus and Krete. In October 1520 , I arranged for a party to be held for Alexios IV's celebration of the recovery of Alexandria and the final destruction of the Order of St John. The Party had gotten out of hand. The upshot was that Michael IX was the new Autokrator. He'd generously allowed me to retire and accompany the expedition to drive the Venetians from Cyrus. Once they'd done that, they went on to drive the Venetians from Krete in December.
My wife barely recognized me. I sure didn't recognise my sons. I wasted no time in sending them off with money and trusted retainers to one of the locations I'd kept secret from the Dai Viet maps. I hoped Michael would let them live. They weren't to go home unless Michael IX personally guaranteed their safety.

I told my wife all that I had done and what it meant. She accepted it all. Konstantinos had four sons. Michael had been a twin. Died in stillbirth they said. He'd been named Andronicus. He hadn't died. It had taken a decade to track him down and personally end his life.

Well that had surprised Michael IX. Nicephoras Komnenos had been loyal to the crown. His sons would live. Michael hadn't done this because he was sentimental. He couldn't afford to alienate the Komnenos faction. He hadn't ordered Nicephoras' killing because the guy had ruined him. Michael had loved Nicephoras Komnenos and would have done anything for him. An Emperor cannot afford to have those feelings for a subject.

Well, that was a lot of information... :p
So, your empire somehow gained a bunch of vassals, Russia formed, Denmark is OP, France is blobbing eastwards, Anatolia and Greece reconquered quite fast?
You have dominions north of Black Sea and keep fighting Lithuanians + knights?
Moldova beating Hungary, wut. How did you defeat the Muhammedans so fast, especially Mamluks?

Most of the vassals were releases of territory to stay under the BB limit. By this point the Empire had about 50 provinces with 10 held by vassals. The Empire was mostly Catholic now and that includes the vassals. Yup the Moldavian result was surprising. Hungary had a far larger army but Moldavia just took province after province before Hungary had switched its forces from its other fronts.

The Reformation was late in this game - either that or provinces didn't start switching anywhere for quite a while. Luther was late and Calvin early from what I remember. I thought the Danes were going to inherit a huge bloc of land. in the event it was just Norway. Their Northern alliance is Denmark, Sweden, Brandenburg, Poland, Hannover, Anhalt, Oldenburg and Bremen. It tickled me to see the HRE a vassal of the Danes and not a habsburgs.

France had driven England from the continent and taken the Channel Islands and is blobbing east into the HRE. Berg was its latest meal.

Lithuania and the Knights just kept coming and coming.

This was EU2 and the ai didn't maintain a standing army. The Mamluks didn't stand a chance. Then it was take more than half their territory and wait for rebels to appear in their capital for the inevitable collapse and free provinces.

THE REIGN OF MICHAEL IX THE GOOD
20 October 1520 - 31 December 1553

Karl 1 became ruler of Spain and Austria. The spin proclaimed habsburg World Emperor. Michael was undecided as to whether kicking France out of Italy was a good thing for the Empire, if that just meant Spain became dominant.

Old states the Empire had long since consigned to the scrap heap had been reborn from revolt in other countries. Genoa and Venice. Reborn and their hatred for the Empire was stronger than before. Venice just declared war. People looked at the Empire with a great deal of fear and loathing. It was the worst regarded state anywhere. Serbia and Albania were once again released as vassal nations. That at least removed all the Empire's current foes from war. At least no one was ready to go to war with the Empire just because they didn't like the way one of our diplomats looked at them.

Byzantine armies went rebel hunting. Sometimes the rebels succeeded in annihilating armies sent to suppress them or just emerged right on top of them. Krete was retaken from the Venetians. Local forces in the Balkans were taken by surprise when the Venetians landed an army in Epirus and marched straight to Thessaloniki and set up a siege.

Michael understood that the Empire lacked the strength to engage in foreign wars and protect colonies of Greeks in former Ottoman lands and let them change the culture. Every time a province successfully revolted or was taken by enemies progress on building the colony had to be restarted. Michael allowed a group of Dutch calvinists settle in the City.

In 1524 Lithuania annexed the Livonian Order. Diplomats had almost persuaded Lithuania to ally with the Empire. Songhai agreed to share maps with the Empire. Venice just carried on fighting. The former mamluk lands revolted as well. The Tuscans finally threw off Portuguese rule.

In 1525 the Chinese surprised everyone when they decided to build more ships, reversing a policy decades old of standing down their navy. Amasra, Rum and Doros were Catholicised. Michael IX was becoming more and more disillusioned with the actions of the Papacy.

In 1526 England declared war on Scotland. This time round the money was on an English victory. That was until Spain joined in on Scotland's side. Along with the rest of its alliance -Austria, Milan, Romanist Bohemia, Sweden and Kakheti. Strike off Kakheti, they decided not to intervene. Then France declared war on England. That gave Venice someone else to fight. Kakheti was quickly swept up back into an alliance with the Empire. Austria decided their union with Hungary would be enforced and sent their armies in. Michael judged Hungary was powerful enough to survive.

Imperial dilpomats looked around for other nations to attack Venice. Holstein proved willing. Holstein declared was on Venice and brought in Denmark. By April 15 1527 Venice had had enough and became our vassals.

Peace lasted just over a month. Russia declared war on the Empire Russia was assisted by Cephallonia, Imerti, Moldavia and Wallachia.

In 1527 a generous gift from a noble funded a quick campaign against the Mamluks which resulted in their becoming outr vassals.The Russians had come with numbers, sweeping a defending army in Burtasia out of the province.
Spain took Essex, Meath and Sussex off England. Spain was getting seriously strong. Michael planned a campaign to isolate Russia by making vassals of the Balkan countries and knocking out the Caucasus. The Emperor had miscalculated slightly in that the Russians were coming straight for the City. Their armies obviously took awhile to process the Imperial assault in the Caucasus and changed direction.

Spanish power grew sufficient to make vassals of Genoa in 1528. Byzantium knocked Cephallonia out of the war. The following year Wallachia paid 92000 ducats to escape the close attention of our armies. Spain gained Schwerin. In terms of the greatest threat in Europe that honour went to Spain. They had the Pope in their pocket, too.

Moldavia became our vassals in 1532 and Imerti peaced out. Rather than gain a war with Spain, we settled a border dispute. Fully committed to war with Russia and putting down revolts, the Empire could not take on Spain as well. The Senate thought otherwise, but Michael was not for backing down. Armenia and Trebizond were now Catholic. Again, Michael did not feel like celebrating. In 1533 Spain became sole defender of the Catholic faith and in February, Imperial armies liberated Cyprus from rebel scum. Michael had deliberately diverted the reserve army away from the war with Russia to do this for the House Komnenos. Imperial celebrations were held in the City marking Michael's marriage to the Infante Isabella of Spain. The support of the powerful Komnenos faction in the Senate squashed opposition to the Spanish marriage stone cold dead.

Russia had been spending their money buying up their own faction in the Senate. A sizeable chink of the Senate sided with them in demanding Imperial concessions. With difficulty this was defeated. England declared war on Scotland and this time had Swedish help.

Albania became part of the Empire. Michael confronted the House Komnenos. Their diplomats had caused the annexation. Michael instantly rescinded the annexation and granted independence to Cyprus. Cypus had become the first province of the Empire to turn reformed. That's what the rebels had done during the time they'd controlled Cyprus. Both states were vassals of ther Empire; both were in reality controlled by House Komnenos. This house controlled the largest single faction in the Empire and could dominate the Senate as and when they chose. Michael's natural allies were in the pay of the Russians and Michael had no inention of giving Russia any provinces.

Cyprus proceeded to grant the following countries military access:
Kakheti
Switzerland
Austria
Romanist Bohemia
Poland
Scotland and
Denmark.

The crowns on Naples and Burgundy were then inherited by Cyprus. As power grabs went that was one of the smoothest Michael IX had ever come across. He was quite envious of House Komnenos.

Russia had a Tsarina. Elina Glinskaya rose to the throne December 5 1533. No peace was in the offing, but at last the Russian supporting nobles ceased to be supported by Russia. Michael felt more secure upon the throne. In 1534 Lithuania joined our military alliance. Genoa was declared war upon. The aim was to make them our vassals.
The new Safavid empire declared war on us. nice to see the Persians retained their deep love for the Roman Empire. As usual Armenia was the province fought over. An heir was born 1 April 1536 and given the name Lysander.

England took 200000 ducats off Spain. Reclaiming Kent, Meath or Sussex would have been better for them. Calvin settled in Geneva in 1538 much to the chagrin of House Komnenos which had offered him a Burgundian home. Ivan Shiuski became Tsar of Russia. Peace was still not forthcoming. People were weary of the wars and rebels were beginning to spring up all over the Empire. The Empire was still extremely backward in technology and even the mercenary units were now inferior to the equipment the rebels had. Another Anglo-French war broke out in 1539, but Michael IX had more serious concerns. Our enemies seemed aware that the Empire was weak and would break. In 1540 the Jesuits were instituted in Portugal. Michael IX invited them to the City. Wars with the Safavids and Genoa ended with each of them receiving 25000 ducats. Russia seemed content to wait for rebels to break us the way we'd done to the ottomans and mamluks. Fortunately, Byzantine vassals were more than capable of dealing with rebels. A white peace was reached with Al-Haasa and Oman. That saved the treasury a little bit of money.

Into 1541 and Kakheti became our vassals. Russia ceded Sibir to the Manchu. We'd no idea they'd been at war and it demonstrated just how focused on us they were. Austria attacked Venice and somehow we weren't called in. Gradually the rebel risk diminished, but Russia continued to refuse every entreaty to end the war.

Isabella gave birth to another royal child 10 May 1543: Helena. Hungary declare war on Venice and again we weren't called in. Spain and Poland started a fight for dominance over Europe. Venice finally called us in against Hungary. This was not a war the Empire wanted to fight at this time. Switzerland decided it didn't want to fight usa. Guess size matters after all. It was actually early 1545 before we lost a battle against Hungary and Ragusa.

Russia had the submission of the Khans in 1547, which just freed up even more men. Poland won soem money off Spain and the bragging rights in Europe. A fire destroyed the City of Moscow. Sweden declared war on Russia. Neither event had any dent in Russia's determination to humiliate us. Despite all our diplomatic efforts, including good relations with Russia's neighbours, no peace was forthcoming. Imerti. Cephallonia and Wallachia joined the war again after the truce expired and we were still fighting Hungary and Ragusa.

In April 1553 we were finally able to make Hungary our vassals. We couldn't make them part of our alliance without banning Lithuania first.

Michael IX died 31 December 1553.Despite his reservations the Empire had become completely Catholic. Dutch Calvinists had replaced settlers sent out into wilds of the Empire to make it Greek and considerable progress had been made. Jesuit training had made the priesthood more disciplined and learned. Imperial backwardness militarily with regard to the rest of Europe was becoming very obvious. Only the allied and vassal armies had the ability to defeat rebels and enemies alike. Fortunately, the Safavids weren't more advanced. Spain was more or less anally and the Russians had replaced the Turk as the hereditary enemy.

Michael IX became the first emperor to lose a province, notably Cyprus. He was a good Emperor

Think of Justinian's Empire when he took over. We don't have Cairo, that's still Mamluk. We've some steppe lands taken from Lithuania when it collapsed. We've a bit more of Syria than he had courtesy of the ottomans. I was playing on a similar map I think as was used for EUIII 1356 mod. Kaffa and Doros keep revolting free and having to be reconquered. We have Sicily and Malta and a couple of Naples province's. The rest and Burgundy got inherited by Cyprus. We have the colonial city of Ifni. Plus we own Corsica, Liguria and the Island of Venice. We'd be minting it if our merchants were any good.

The biggest problem aside from maxed out BB was no money and a tech level of 6 that was half that of the leading European powers. We'd clawed our way back to positive stability but the Turkish provinces and there were a lot still had high RR. Colonies there would get to almost being Greek when a revolt would cost us the city and knock everything back to square one. I was looking to recreate Justinian's Empire.

The Russians of course have cores on all of Crimea. It didn't matter that Crimea wasn't around They became our new worst enemy.

So you somehow blitzed against Ottomans, annihilated them fast and then went for a mad BB spree... :p
MEIOU mod? It has changed very much over the years. 500-1000? more provinces?

So you somehow blitzed against Ottomans ... and then went for a mad BB spree... :p
MEIOU mod?

Yes MEIOU. The BB spree was against Athens and Ragusa mainly breaking truces very early on to spawn a lot of gold that then went on missionaries to convert the Empire and buy colonists to turn the Turks Greek. Inflation hit 60%. The ottoman collapse was a bit of a surprise. The last war: they were in pretty big trouble against the Mamluks when I joined in with my allies. Just sieged them out really and then rebels spawned in their capital. They manage to last just long enough to take the capital. I was carpet sieging with 1 or 2 units per province and then allies would come and join in, except Morea which just smashed up an Ottoman army and went home. They kept on doing that. We had stayed allied to and vassals of the Ottomans until 1450. They'd actually rewarded the Empire with some good provinces during fights against other nations.

THE REIGN OF LYSANDER THE LONG 1554 -1618

Welcome to the short biography of Lysander the Long. Most of the Autocrats of the Roman Empire have had fairly short reigns and well for the Empire that they did., except Konstantinos XI Dragases of blessed memory. Lysander had been a sickly child and I was expecting to be able to write his story with only a short passage of time. I was pleased to accept the commission from my Abbot the Lord Crastos. My name is Maxelos. I was but a simple monk when Lysander began to reign. As the years passed without his dying, I began to wonder, if I should pass before he did. Many, myself included, wondered how he preserved his youthful looks and showed none of the usual signs of aging. Some said he made a deal with the Devil. That may be true, for he was a Calvinist and an enemy of the True Church. He was the last Palaiologus to rule the Empire.

Lysander Palaiologus was a popular ruler. He gave no outward sign of his Calvinist proclivities other than attendance at a Dutch religious centre. Publically, he gave the Catholic Church his full support. Byzantium was still at war with Russia. The forever war still on going and not looking like ending anytime soon. The Wallachs were the prime target. An offensive in the Crimea and Caucasus aimed to keep the Russians occupied. For some strange an inexplicable reason the tiny state of Imerti was war leader.

Early 1554 were good times for the Empire. Several battles against enemies and rebels alike went in our. Several English provinces fell to the Calvinists, although Queen Mary had restored England to the Catholic Church. My Abbot said the Calvinists were a passing fad. I was not convinced. Soon things did not go our way. Lysander released Candar, Karaman and Dulkadir under his relatives as our vassals. Although Michael had given Cyprus to the Komnenos family, Lysander installed one of his lesser relatives in their place. Fortunately , the Komnenos took this in good spirits. They only started conspiring with the great magnates. Even the Serbs were now neutral. They had almost forgiven the Empire for releasing them again. Lysander tried to explain that is wasn't that we didn't want them, but every nation on earth would attack us, if we kept them.

By July 1554, we had placed both Wallachia and Circassia under siege. We were trying to do the same in Imertia and Cephallonia. The Ionains broke three armies attempting to set up siege before our army was able to siege them. Brandenberg and Bohemia got themselves into several wars aside from fighting each other. The hussites had taken land close to Denmark and the Danes kept trying to take it.

In 1555 the Holy Father made a symbolic rejection of the Imperial decision to allow Princes to choose their own religion: either Catholic or Protestant at Augsberg. Russia began its Siberian expansion. We lost Malta to rebels. The states of Genoa and Venice had one thing in common. Neither possessed the province of their origin. Byantium held both the provinces of Veneto and Liguria. Genoa decided to do something about and declared war on 28 June 1555. Kakheti, Sebia, Lithuania and Hungary joined the Empire at war with Genoa. The Empire had no desire to take Nice or to make Genoa our vassals. Imperial historians could not explain how Nice ended up as Genoa. Part of Savoy until it revolted. The noble Genoese families had all become Imperial Senators. A peace would eventually be effected, but not until the Genoese navy had inflicted several reverses on the Imperial fleet. The admirals explained that the main fleet was guarding the capital and the rest against Russian and Imertian fleets. No one really bought that explanation. The Genoese fleet was so technologically superior as to be embarrassing.

October 14 1555 Wallachia finally became our vassals. In December our forces put Circassia under siege. The Safavids attacked the Ak Koyunlu. The Safavids were a rising power and many suspected they would form our main opposition in the east. The New Year dawned with the Catholics of France under the Duc de Guise revolted against France. Lysander married Louise de Guise (the actual marriage took place August 11). They would have a daughter, Irene, the following year. Sri Lanka became Catholic in early January. A joyous event. Austria opted for a Defensive Strategy. That removed a fear gnawing in our Generals that Austria would look to take Hungary and draw us into a fight we did not want and could not win. Imerti was soon put under siege. Rebels remained a persistent problem. They too were better armed than even the best mercenaries the Empire could hire. In truth we relied on aour vassals defeating or rebels for us. The Russians kicked us out of Imerti. The Huguenots announced they could no longer stomach being part of France and declared independence on July 1st 1556. They were ruled by Louis de Bourbon. He was a bit of a biscuit case. In August came new that the people of Nizza had defected to Genoa. The Palatinate was annexed by Hannover, for the first time. In September Cephallonia became our vassal. Charles V gave up trying to rule both Spain and Austria. The new kings quickly made royal marriage despite the closeness of the relationships and over the portests of His Holiness. The Chinese ambassador announced that China was closed to the world on March 9th 1557. This went unremarked, since no-one had known it was open in the first place. In August 1557 the Huguenots were annexed by France. Several French Huguenot noble families took refuge in the City. I n September I was able to secure a White Peace with Genoa. it was my first diplomatic mission for Lysander. He expressed his pleasure at the outcome. People were in general happier (Stability increased).

Lithuania, Kakheti and Circassia became our very dear friends. Serbia was still neutral and Hungary only hated enemies. They hated the fact that they were doing the fighting and we were making the gains. We should have been happier had the Russians been doing all their fighting in Hungary. I got to make several trips to Pest and Budda. In Novembber 1557 the Franch Catholics lost a couple of provinces to France. The French were able to persuade His Holiness to annul Lysander's marriage to Louise. The Papal Nuncio was banished to Mount Athos for several months. He stayed well away from the cliff edge.

I was sent to Imereti to see if we could interest them in 25,000 ducats to end the war. I learned I had been misspelling the country's name. The people there had been suffering from Byzantine rejection. Nothing would have made them happier than to be part of the Empire, all safe and snug, but we had thrown them out. I got thrown out of their capital.

December 1557 and Lysander tried to remarry Louise. There was a fearful row in the Senate and riots in the City.The Patriarch had come out in favour of the Papal Nuncio and prevented Lysander doing what he wanted. There were now two people towarsds whom Lysander directed dark looks. In early 1558 I did manage to end a war between our Venetian vassals and our Hungarian allies . The Venetians paid 85,000 ducats. 1558 was notable for France declaring war on England and the great Alexander Tzimses being promoted to command the Imperial army assembled at Kartli. Alexander won several battles and was despatched to crush rebels, elsewhere. It was late in the year when Russia sent a very large force into the Caucasus. Iraq annexed the Kara Koyunlu and Elizabeth rose to the throne of England. I was not amongst the diplomats sento England to secure a royal marriage. My second trip to Imereti was more successful and a white peace was agreed and the war with Russia was finally over. I returned through Circassia and they had become our closest friend. The Empire was finally at peace. Work could now begin in earnest to finish the rebel problem. In early 1559, Circassia became part of the Empire. They would have to be released, if other provinces were to be added. Lithuania became our new closest friend. Elizabeth took England Protestant.

Life in the Empire was quiet until 4 February 1562. It turned out that Lysander's visits to the Dutch church had not been for spiritual purposes. Indeed the church was exposed as a brothel. Whilst Lysander endured the mocking of the City for a considerable period of time, both the Nuncio and Patriarch were exceedingly pleased. Bohemia ceded Bohemia, Oberbayern and Sudeten to Poland. Bohemia would lose Calenburg to Oldenberg shortly thereafter. The French invited the Huguenot Conde to a meeting under Truce and murdered him.

Venice finally allowed our merchants back into our trading centre in Venice. Our merchants hadn't noticed their exclusion. Najd and Lithuania finally signed a White Peace. Lithuania declared war on Prussia and dragged the Empire, Serbia and Kakheti into the war. We brought Albania into our alliance. Our Moldavian vassal ceded Hermanstadt to Hungary and paid them 119,000 ducats. Louise was distraught because France assassinated her father. Unsurprisingly, July 1st, the French ambassador announced france was in Civil War. A few months later , not to be outdone, the Chinese ambassador announced the same. These were peaceful times, our war with Prussia was uneventful. We continued to send our colonists to Achaia to change the culture there to Greek. I was sent as Abbot to the great Catholic monastery.

Spain harassed one of our merchants and diplomats raised this with their King. He ordered their centres of trade closed to us. After a few months everything was smoother over. Circassia was converted to the Catholic faith. Peace was made with Prussia and Lithuania declined the opportunity to become our vassals. Albania became part of our country. Circassia was released to make room. Our work with Hungary had paid off and they became our allies again. In 1566 the Huguenots again seceded and this time they were joined by Savoy seeking its independence. The Huguenots became allies of Imereti and Russia. They also had English aid. Both Savoy and the Huguenots were defeated and reannexed. This didn't stop Cleves from trying to do the same.

21 January 1567 Poland inherited Lithuania. The Papal States annexed Tuscany and Mazandaran annexed the Ak Koyunlu and became our direct eastern neighbour. This was not regarded as good news. Lithuania however didn't stay annexed. They did refuse a second time to become our vassals. August 19, 1567 Lysander married Heidi von Berne from Switzerland. She gave birth to a daughter, Zoe, the following year. Celebrations were such that a loan was taken out to build a Cathedral.

Cleves lost its attempt to become independent to Trier, which was itself a successful revolter. Poland annexed Pommerania. This was not in line with Byzantine plans for the north and the Empire declared war 2 January 1568. After a bit of negotiation the allies joined in - Lithuania, Serbia, Kakheti and Hungary. Najd entered a military alliance with Mazandaran and Iraq. The Netherlands declared independence from France and joined the Russian alliance. This made things very difficult for the Dutch in the City. They had to remain in the Palace from fear of public lynching. The war against Poland was proceeding smoothly. It was a shock when Mazandaran and allies declared war on the Empire, February 5 1569. Sus also joined. It wanted Ifni. The surprise attack by Mazandaran unsettled the Imperial populace. To add insult to injury Poland joined the northern alliance and got involved in another war. I was sent to Poland to negotiate with them. The Poles, I am sad to say, laughed in my face.

December 1 1569 and Switzerland went Protestant. Another marriage ended for Lysander by the Holy Father. Only the fact the Empire was involved in two wars stopped Lysander marching on Rome. Assassins were despatched, however. January 3 1571, the Mayor of Milan became Emperor, Holy Roman, that is and the Jesuits came to the City. Our land technology became late mediaeval (4). Our bows had a greater range and faster rate of fire than the muskets used by our enemies. Our general professed themselves unconcerned. Our armies kept losing battles. Even Mazandaran was more advanced. Iraq wasn;'t and our armies were soon sieging all of their country. The Far Eastern rebels in Champa declared independence and joined Mazandaran in its was against us. The Chinese soon annexed them. The war against the Mazandaran tired out the great Alexander Tzimses and he died June 12 1572. Our armies were left without a general to counter Mazandaran's technological advantage or Najd's. The Empire established a colony in Trinidad in 1573. Poland did finally gain Lithuania as a vassal in 1573 Lithuania gained Basora and Muntanana in its peace. Venice was added to the alliance in its place. Another colony in Guyana was founded in 1574. The war with Mazarandran ground on. The Safavids declared war in 1579. Presenting ourselves as defenders of the Faith worked a treat. Our European neighbours thought more highly of us. I was despatched to Poland to try to end that war. The first to make peace was the Safavid empire in 1580. No sooner than they had made peace than Lithuania declared war on the Empire. This made my efforts in Poland that much harder. Fortunately all our allies joined the war against Lithuania. The Lithuania fleet decided to attack the imperial home fleet and got itself sunk, as had been usual. The Safavids made peace again in 1581 after a brief alliance with Lithuania or Poland.

The city of Ragusa was a prize Lysander wanted. An opportunity arose in 1582 to go to war . The war ended with Ragusa becoming Hungarian.

In 1583 I was appointed a Chief Judge over Achaia (Infrastructure 4). Sweden's entry in the war against Lithuania was expected to make them more eager for peace. it didn't work out like that. The Great Feud between the Lascarids and Komnenos noble houses was ended. That was a success, of a sort. In 1584 Circassia became our vassal, again. The Huguenots revolted again. This time from Spain. Austria annexed them. There was a new Pope in 1585.
In 1590 France has a horrible year and Russia declared war on us. Our year was worse than theirs. We had incorporated Albania. Russian armies began swarming over the Caucasus. Lysander married Theophene Lascaris. Maurikios was born 19 August 1591. His brothers Lysander, Alexios , Demetrios, Thomas and Mikheal followed in the years thereafter. The future of the dynasty seemed secure.

In 1594 Milan declared war on Venice. Byazntium had another war. In 1595, the Order of St John showed to the Senate documents proving that they were entitled to rule the Byzantine Empire. They had some territory in their own right, which became an Imperial Vassal. My thoughts were that the Patriarch had become immensely rich. Our navy reached the late mediaeval (3). The Senate pronounced that we'd be staying and we wouldn't flee the scary Ottomans. Our armies were fighting on the frontiers and deep inside Russia. Lysander did not see the funny side. His mood improved slightly when the Emirate of Tripoli suddenly announced it would henceforth be the Empire's and Orthodox. Lebanon defected to the Order of St John. I was responsible for exposing the whole thing as a fraud. The Papal Nuncio finally met a cliff he couldn't avoid and the Patriarch never got to spend his money. That all fell to the new Patriarch, namely, me. The province of Bitlis defected to us. The leader of the Order of St John, Martin Garzes, became a general in our armies. It's not every man who has usurped the Imperial throne and lived to tell of it. Martin Garzes arrived in the Lebanon and despite the forgery behind it took control of Lebanon and a couple of surrounding provinces as the Order of St John. The Empire had released them. Lysander sent them the Jesuits as well. All the Order of St John's holding is in the Empire were taken by Lysander. They were quite extensive. Our armies benefitted from the brief time Grandmaster Garzes spent with them. They now knew how to assault fortresses. In November 1597 Russia made peace.

February 4, 1602 and the Byzantine Empire accepted peace with Lithuania on the following terms : Lithuania pays 200 ducats in indemnities. Pontic Steppe to Byzantine Empire, Podlasia, Russia Rubra & Lublin to Hungary. 1602 finally saw peace with Poland and Mazandaran. Diyabekir, Kilikia, Mosul, Soran and Maysan were gained. The Empire was finally at peace. A huge gift to the State in 1604 from a grateful Senate showed how deep the desire for a long peace was. As Patriarch I had noticed that the Catholic priests were harder to keep in line without the order of St John and Jesuits. Complaints from the Parishes multiplied. Lysander was using the income from the Order's former holdings to support Calvinists push into provinces and establish their own Church governance. Because of the excesses of the local priests, they had a ready and steady source of converts.

I took a couple of years travel to visit our new colonies out in the Caribbean. Most of the islands were ours. Whilst I was away Lysander divorced Theophene and married Princess Elizabeth of Russia in November 1604. Shortly after, Russia joined our miilitary alliance. This amazing turnaround in relations had been affected by Nikephoros Lascaris, the unfortunate Theophene's brother. Princess Elizabeth was an Orthodox Christian. She gave birth to a daughter Zoe-Irene the following year. The decision to keep all the Imperial fortifications was disappointing to me as a man of peace.

In 1607 Martin Garzes was declared a Prince of the Holy Roman Empire. I had spent the better part of a year trying to persuade the man to bring his mands back inside the only true Empire. This was a bitter personal failure. Worse was to follow when a priest I had sent to a monastery for his views turned up as an Archbishop preaching a heresy I was ordered by Lysander to ignore. I was almost pleased when Lithuania declared war on the Empire. I took it as a sign from God for Lysander to turn away from his path to true forgiveness. Russia, Kakheti, Hungary and Venice answered our call to arms. Serbia had been incorporated whilst I'd been on my visit abroad.

On April 22 1607 the Palaiologus families ruling Cyprus, Candar and Dulkadir died out. Cyprus was given to Princess Zoe-Irene even though she was only two and pledged to Alexios Komnenos, who was only 3 and whom the Cypriots promptly elected king. Cyprus went Reformed. I was powerless to act. I did direct, with perhaps abit too much venom, missionaries to convert former Serbian lands.

Mazandaran declared war on the Empire in early 1609. Our allies joined us in this Holy War. Lithuania was given a peace deal that they didn't deserve. The Ukraine was freed as our vassals by the Empire. The only bright spot was that Orthodox lands had been released. Diyala defected to the Empire and converted. Amazing what a bunch of Catholic zealots can convert.

The 4th July 1610 was a memorable day. Lysander was accused of being the father of a number of children to Dutch mothers. Lysander's defence was that he couldn't say with any certainty if the children were his or those of about half the Senate who frequented the same establishment. I ruled that the man whom the child most resembled would be responsible for its upkeep. I figured Lysander would be begging for Confession and would prove to be the father of 20 children. As the children grew however. I found none of them resembled Lysander and made myself enemies of 20 powerful noble houses.

Russia peaced out with Mazandaran for 40,000 ducats and the provinces of Fars, Kermanshah and Van. In 1612 Mazandaran did peace out with the Empire. Mazandaran paid 450,000 ducats in indemnities and ceded . Esfahan and Luristan to the Byzantine Empire and Atak to Venice. Russia declined to become our vassals. Our land technology improved (6), but was still nothing to boast about. Cyprus was advancing by leaps and bounds. Hungary became Protestant.

In 1613 over half the Senate announced they supported the Count of Wallachia. News that our vassal was supported by over half the nobility deeply affected the populace. Wallachs were universally regarded as uncouth, smelly barbarians.

The following year and Maurikios introduced some much need reform in the army. By now both Lysander and I were awaiting our standing in front of St Peter. Neither of us got around that well any more. I was determined to outlast him.

The Catholics of Ifni rose in unprovoked revolt in 1616 on rumours the Empire would cede them to Sus. They were re-assured that this would not happen. Lysander said they were isolated and he could do with the money. I am afraid that I was most unchristian in my response to him. The Ifni rebels took the province and we had to take a loan to retake it. The 20 noble houses that I had inadvertently offended ended their feuds with me. They were loyal Catholics and saw the rise of Calvinism, heresy and Orthodoxy as challenges requiring a united front. I was most pleased that I hadn't tried high diving from the sea walls. Ifni was recovered late 1617.

February 1 1618 and Albert Frederich of Prussia died. Brandenberg inherited. He wasn't the only notable death. Lysander Palaiologus died peacefully in his sleep. it is said he had a smile on his face. He was succeeded by Regent Irene and her Wallachian grandson. Wallach legions took up positions in an around the Imperial Palace. The barbarians were inside the gates.

Last edited: