Blocking land connection between continents doesn't affect MP of a country

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Nein

Lt. General
2 Badges
Feb 19, 2013
  • Darkest Hour
  • For The Glory
I know that there won't any more fixes to the game other than the ones that have been voted (and this isn't a real issue as it can be solved by saving and reloading), but for the sake of completeness (and in the dim hope that the game might become open source one day, I guess), I'll mention it anyways.

What happens (tested without mods in the dec 2017 beta, checksum WBOJ) is that if a country derives manpower from provinces in other continents thanks to having a land connection to them (the Ottomans are the prime example of this) and this connection is severed, the game won't "notice" that until I quit the game and reload it.
Example: To confirm the bug I took the Ottomans in the 1419 scenario, declared war on the Byzantines and gave them Macedonia (my only connection between the European and Asian provinces). After I did that my mp did go down a bit (presumably that was the mp of the province I actually lost), but the European provinces I kept that lost the land link to Bursa kept showing the mp they had before the peace treaty (and when I hovered the mouse over the mp number I got the calculation of it instead of the message saying that I need a land connection to get mp from that province), and more importantly, the support limit of the army and the army maintenance costs changed after I saved and reloaded the game (before doing that I tried waiting until the end of the year but that didn't update the numbers).

EDIT: Thanks to the vassals the Ottomans can release in vanilla (Thessalonika in Macedonia; and Nicaea in Bursa and Izmir, while also moving the capital to Angora) I been able to find out that I get the same problem if I the land link disappears due to releasing a vassal. But if the vassal that ends the land connection also causes the capital to move then the bug doesn't manifest itself.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Yes. There are a number of similar calculations that are only performed on startup.

I see. I mentioned it because I deliverately tried to break up the African and Asian territories of the Mamluks to reduce their mp and was left scratching my head after my delightfully devilish plot (apparently) fail. Fortunately it's not a real problem.