• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Hey Sapura do you know that Poland (Duchy of Courland) had colonial possesions in Africa?

I just found that out yesterday. I guess that
sooner or later we will see the foundation of
New Byalystok in Australia by his Majesty Sapura VI of Poland. Why not ? After all EU is just a game and can begreat fun with litle creative imagination.

Vaios,

Are you serious? I had no idea that they had any colonies. But this is great news..

Gunnar,

I'm so pleased that Poland *is* sort of, kind of interesting to play :)

Marcus says he was annoyed by the Teutons, you say the Turks are annoying. :)

The Teutons however should not exist after 1525. They ceased being an independant state after that time. So in reality they should only really exist from 1492-1525 or so.

Sapura

I'll wipe them out of existance just like I plan to to do with every Swedish beta tester who has ever lived.

That includes 1/2 finns, italians aswell ;)

Sapura

Vaios: 'Hey Sapura do you know that Poland (Duchy of Courland) had colonial possesions in Africa? I just found that out yesterday.'

Sapura: 'Are you serious? I had no idea that they had any colonies. But this is great news..'

Yes, there were some efforts of the Polish Duchy of Kurland in Africa. I know of Fort St. Andreas somewhere in today's Liberia or Côte d'Ivoire. It had to be sometime after 1650 and before 1664, when there exists an English fort. But I don't know, if Kurland only was entitled to it or if there really existed a colony. But perhaps there existed some more settlements, too.

In the Americas, in Asia, or perhaps in ... Australia? :)

However, St. Andreas is marked in some good historical atlases, but unfortunately not in all.

I asked a lecturer and there really exists a book titled: 'Die Kolonial- und Überseepolitik der Kurländischen Herzöge im 17. und 18. Jahrhundert' (The colonial- and oversea's policy of the Dukes of Kurland in the 17th and 18th century). It was written by Otto Heinz Mattiesen and was published in Stuttgart 1940. I'll have it tomorrow or on friday.

1015 pages about Kurland's colonies, I'm very curious and going to report.

Colonial history is really a history of curiousities! :)

Heiko

See Sapura I was right. How do you feel now that this unknown part of Polish history have been revealed to you?

Frankly, when first read this I thought it was a Mel Brooks joke or something. But no, it is pure history.

Heiko, 1015 pages about Kurland's colonies?! I know a person that will blow his head off when he will see this.

I feel very happy finding out something I never knew before :)

Just weakens some of the people's comments that Poland never had any colonies ..

Who's this person, that will 'blow his head off' ?

Sapura

He is a freind of mine Sapura. He is eager to play the game especially the Hapsburgs. He is also a history maniac (something like me although he is more interested in diplomatic history then in military history like me ).When he will see that Poland had colonies and the Hapsburgs didn't (for the latter I am not so sure anymore), he will feel very bad. You see he is mad about the Hapsburgs.

Considering Paradox is situated IN Stockholm, that doesn't shock me :)

Better yet, you could have just walked down to Paradox and picked the game up yourself ;)

Sapura

Heiko,

Yeah, being that it's election time coming up, and having surveyed the field of candidates, I'd tend to agree that I live on the 'wrong' continent. Course, I've yet to find one that I think would be a whole lot better.

At least I get to vote, then I can complain in good conscience.

Dan W.

Dan,

also political life in Germany is very strange in these days: Our parties are perishing from financial crimes, our politicians are corrupt and so on...

I'm very lucky to have NOT to vote now!

Heiko