Becoming Buddhist as Maurya seems unreasonably difficult/requires gimmicks in 2.0

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Masterdindin

Catgirl owner
87 Badges
Aug 31, 2012
  • Semper Fi
  • For the Motherland
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Hearts of Iron III Collection
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Rome Gold
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Humble Paradox Bundle
  • Darkest Hour
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Divine Wind
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Stellaris
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Stellaris Sign-up
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Mount & Blade: With Fire and Sword
  • Mount & Blade: Warband
  • Magicka: Wizard Wars Founder Wizard
  • Hearts of Iron IV: No Step Back
  • War of the Roses
  • Victoria 2
Unless I'm missing something like a special event, it seems next to impossible to become Buddhist as Maurya normally. You start several percentage points below the amount of Buddhism required to convert, and the the territory in nearby places isn't enough to get you there. The only way it seems possible right now is if you release a bunch of Hindu territory right away to get to 20%. Considering it's a historical path for the Mauryas, as well as a achievement, meaning it's intended for it to be doable, there should be a more feasible way to do this, like through a mission tree or event.

Reactions:
I am not using a mod, I had about like 17 or so percent buddhist population when I started the game. I do not have the new DLC though, if that makes a difference.

Edit: I started a new non-ironman game to check and it was available, interestingly enough when I started my irongame the decision did not seem to be available day one for some reason.

Edit 2: I think if you don't take the decision very soon, it's replaced by another one with different requirements, but has the same name as "Embrace Buddhism". Going back to my ironman game, it's there, but it's not the exact some decision you get at the beginning of the game. I don't know why that would disappear, but it's definitely irritating because there's nothing that tells you what would make it be replaced seemingly permanently by that other one.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
I'm currently playing as Maurya and could convert. The issue is that the conditions do not include that the Purohita (zeal-based government position) must be occupied by a Buddhist character. If that is fulfilled, you can ignore the 20% Buddhist population as long as you meet the requirements in the capital.

Reactions:
I disagree, I've started six times and each has been at 13% or lower, there either has to be an event that allows you to or a special decision that lacks the 20% as there is only one majority buddist province in the vacinity in Nabhapakti but that yields you only about 50 pops. Ive been selling provinces and releasing vassals for years so it seems really quite diificult. Day one decision is always impossible even with a buddhist purohita.

Yeah changing religion and culture should have been the focus for the next update. With some tags it's impossible to do.

My advice to anyone else with the same issue, go for tributary concessions and release about 12 vassals in Maru and Avanti where there are no buddhists to get to 20%, you can always release and kill them off one by one or make them clients and integrate them. If there is an event then this is a way to get it converted early game

Reactions: