• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Mercer Skye

Private
Jun 5, 2018
One line summary of your issue
Strange Text Error

What platform are you running the game on?
Steam

What operating system do you use?
Windows 10

Which version of the game are you running?
1.9.1-686R

What DLC do you have installed?
Flashpoint, Urban Warfare, Shadowhawk Pack, Heavy Metal

Please explain your issue is in as much detail as possible.
The explanations of the bonus objectives looks like it's showing the formulations for the payout instead of the actual payout?

Have you tried verifying your files?
(DID NOT ANSWER QUESTION)

Steps to reproduce the issue

Attach DxDiag (PC), System Info log (Mac), or run sudo lshw -html > specs.html and uploaded specs.html (Linux)
File(s) attached

Attach Output Log
Windows: \Users\YourUserName\AppData\LocalLow\Harebrained Schemes\BATTLETECH\output_log.txt
Mac OS: Users >{name} > Library > Logs > Unity > Player.log
Linux: ~/.config/unity3d/Harebrained Schemes/BATTLETECH/Player.log

File(s) attached

If the game crashed, please attach the crash file with the time stamp closest to the crash.
Windows: [Steam library folder]\steamapps\common\BATTLETECH\DumpBox
For v.17 and beyond try here: C:\Users\[YourUserName]\AppData\LocalLow\Harebrained Schemes\BATTLETECH
OSX: Macintosh HD > Users > [username] > Library > Application Support > Steam > steamapps > common > BattleTech > DumpBox
Linux: [Steam library folder]/steamapps/common/BATTLETECH/DumpBox

File(s) attached

If a save game was loaded at the start of the game session, upload it. Please make sure to upload the save game with the timestamp closest to when you loaded it.
Windows:
Steam: [Steam installation folder]\userdata[SteamID]\637090\remote\C0\SGS1
GOG: 'C:\Users\USER_ID\AppData\Local\GOG.com\Galaxy\Applications\50593543263669699\Storage\Shared\Files\C#\SGS#'
Vanilla:'C:\Users\USER_ID\AppData\LocalLow\Harebrained Schemes\BattleTech\C#\SGS#'
OSX:
Steam: Macintosh HD > Users > [username] > Library > Application Support > Steam > userdata > [SteamID] > 637090 > remote > C#> SGS#
GOG: Macintosh HD > Users > [username] > Library > Application Support > GOG.com > Galaxy > Applications > 50593543263669699 > Storage > Shared > Files > C# > SGS#
Vanilla: Macintosh HD > Users > [username]> Library > Application Support > unity.Harebrained Schemes.BattleTech > C# > SGG#
Linux:
Steam: /home/.steam/steam/userdata/[steamID]/637090/remote/C#/SGS#
GOG: /home/[username]/.config/unity3d/Harebrained Schemes/BATTLETECH/remote/C#/SGS#/
Vanilla: /home/[username]/.config/unity3d/Harebrained Schemes/BATTLETECH/remote/C#/SGS#/

File(s) attached

Attach screenshot / video
File(s) attached

Attachments

• BTTextBug.png
    BTTextBug.png
    647,4 KB · Views: 0
Upvote 0
If there are no mods involved here, that could be a corrupted game installation. Please try a **clean** reinstall:

- Remove the game from Steam (uninstall)
- Manually delete all these files and folders, if still there:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\BattleTech\
C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\LocalLow\Harebrained Schemes\ (To see the AppData folder you'll need to enable View Hidden Items in File Explorer)
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\userdata\USER_ID\637090\
(first move the \remote\C#\SGS#\ folder elsewhere to keep your save games)

- Install the game again
- add steam.exe and BattleTech.exe to the Whitelist of your antivirus app, whatever it is

The test with a new campaign/career, in case the problem is embedded in that save game file.

Good luck with that!

• 1Like
Reactions:
Update. Did a clean wipe, and that seemed to fix it. Now the problem has sprung up again, and a clean wipe doesn't seem to fix anything, Two wipes and two fresh games, and the errors keep showing up.

I've got the Roguetech mod suite on my computer, but I haven't installed it again, is there any chance that simply having the files extracted and ready to go (But not installed, and none of the mods loaded yet, I just have it unpacked and the launcher ready) might be causing this issue?

It's not impossible I suppose - in all honesty I never got across how mods work with this game. Not sure if this will work for BattleTech but it does on our other Unity game Cities Skylines:
In your Steam Library right-click on this game and choose Properties. Click on Set Launch Options, and paste this in there:

-noWorkshop -disableMods

Now see if you get it again.

That is Steam's verify feature? If so it seems likely you have a Steam issue in fact.

Please try a **clean** reinstall of Steam and game:

- Remove the game from Steam (uninstall)
- exit the Steam app completely
- Manually delete all these files and folders, if still there:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\BattleTech\
C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\LocalLow\Harebrained Schemes\ (To see the AppData folder you'll need to enable View Hidden Items in File Explorer)
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\userdata\USER_ID\637090\
(first move the \remote\C#\SGS#\ folder elsewhere to keep your save games)

- delete everything in the Steam folder EXCEPT steam.exe and the SteamApps folder
- run steam.exe to rebuild all that

- Install the game again
- add steam.exe and BattleTech.exe to the Whitelist of your antivirus app, whatever it is

I hope that does it for you!

Alright. So gumshoeing the issue, since it refused to die, got some help from a kind soul on the Roguetech discord. He came across the answer.

Apparently, in 1.9.1, which officially gave the nod to mod support, there's a 'test mod' in the folder. That teeny, tiny 'mod' button in the bottom left corner of the launch screen? Yeah, was as simple as going in there, unchecking the sample mod, and reloading the game.

Tiny, innocuous little bit of something you'd never think was important. But apparently it screws up a lot of folks on Steam, and is also not consistent

So, if the problem happens again, that's a much quicker check than deleting everything and reinstalling it first, which I've been stubbornly doing in some fashion or another for almost a month now?

Needless to say, I feel awfully dumb, lol