BATTLETECH - Crash to Desktop in 15 to 30 minutes of game startup. XBOX Game Pass

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Thien

Recruit
1 Badges
May 27, 2017
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
One line summary of your issue
Crash to Desktop in 15 to 30 minutes of game startup. XBOX Game Pass

What platform are you running the game on?
Paradox Launcher

What operating system do you use?
Windows 10

Which version of the game are you running?
1.9.1-686R

What DLC do you have installed?
None

Please explain your issue is in as much detail as possible.
I play the game for 15 minutes to 30 minutes before it crashes to desktop. There seems to be no particular action that causes the crash. On one occasion, it ran for an hour before freezing the entire computer forcing me to manually restart the entire PC.

I have tried uninstalling the game then reinstalling it. I do not think Xbox Game Pass allows me to verify the files.

I checked the GPU temps before starting the game and its around 47C and when I crash within 15 minutes its around 65-70C.

I have tried updating my drives through Ge Force Experience.

Also, I cannot find the location of the "dumpbox" to find the crash file. Is it located differently for XBOX game pass users?

Have you tried verifying your files?
No

Steps to reproduce the issue
Playing the game causes it to eventually crash. Starting any mission and trying to play through it leads to a crash to desktop after 15 to 30 minutes.

Attach DxDiag (PC), System Info log (Mac), or run sudo lshw -html > specs.html and uploaded specs.html (Linux)
File(s) attached

Attach Output Log
Windows: \Users\YourUserName\AppData\LocalLow\Harebrained Schemes\BATTLETECH\output_log.txt
Mac OS: Users >{name} > Library > Logs > Unity > Player.log
Linux: ~/.config/unity3d/Harebrained Schemes/BATTLETECH/Player.log

File(s) attached

If the game crashed, please attach the crash file with the time stamp closest to the crash.
Windows: [Steam library folder]\steamapps\common\BATTLETECH\DumpBox
For v.17 and beyond try here: C:\Users\[YourUserName]\AppData\LocalLow\Harebrained Schemes\BATTLETECH
OSX: Macintosh HD > Users > [username] > Library > Application Support > Steam > steamapps > common > BattleTech > DumpBox
Linux: [Steam library folder]/steamapps/common/BATTLETECH/DumpBox

File(s) attached

If a save game was loaded at the start of the game session, upload it. Please make sure to upload the save game with the timestamp closest to when you loaded it.
Windows:
Steam: [Steam installation folder]\userdata[SteamID]\637090\remote\C0\SGS1
GOG: 'C:\Users\USER_ID\AppData\Local\GOG.com\Galaxy\Applications\50593543263669699\Storage\Shared\Files\C#\SGS#'
Vanilla:'C:\Users\USER_ID\AppData\LocalLow\Harebrained Schemes\BattleTech\C#\SGS#'
OSX:
Steam: Macintosh HD > Users > [username] > Library > Application Support > Steam > userdata > [SteamID] > 637090 > remote > C#> SGS#
GOG: Macintosh HD > Users > [username] > Library > Application Support > GOG.com > Galaxy > Applications > 50593543263669699 > Storage > Shared > Files > C# > SGS#
Vanilla: Macintosh HD > Users > [username]> Library > Application Support > unity.Harebrained Schemes.BattleTech > C# > SGG#
Linux:
Steam: /home/.steam/steam/userdata/[steamID]/637090/remote/C#/SGS#
GOG: /home/[username]/.config/unity3d/Harebrained Schemes/BATTLETECH/remote/C#/SGS#/
Vanilla: /home/[username]/.config/unity3d/Harebrained Schemes/BATTLETECH/remote/C#/SGS#/

File(s) attached

Attach screenshot / video
File(s) attached

Attachments

• DxDiag.txt
    101,9 KB · Views: 0
  • output_log.txt
    51,7 KB · Views: 0
Upvote 0
I believe the location is the same for gamepass users:
C:\Users\YourUserName\AppData\LocalLow\Harebrained Schemes\DumpBox\

To see the AppData folder you'll need to enable View Hidden Items in File Explorer.

In the game's Advanced Video options, make sure Vsync is enabled.

Thanks! I was able to find the Dumpbox as you stated. I'll attach the crash file right before I crashed.

I had Vsync enabled initially but I figured if I tried turning off as many features as possible, maybe something will change. I'll reactivate it now.

Is there anything else I should do at the moment?

Attachments

• 20211117_15-52-47_ModLoader.txt
    75 bytes · Views: 0
Your symptoms sound like overheating, but 70c should not trigger that. It never ever gets to 80c or over?

I have yet to see it go over 80c for any of my PC components be it GPU or core. I have opened up the desktop and have applied compressed air to dusty regions but haven't noticed any drastic changes in the crashing. I don't really experience any consistent crashing like this with any other of my games. By the way I'm using SpeedFan 4.52 to measure the temperatures.

Since turning on V-sync, the crashes have occurred less frequently but are still present. Its the inconsistency of the crashes to desktop that is driving me insane. Sometimes it'll run an 1.5 hours, sometimes it'll go 20minutes.

Please advise

Turning on Vsync reduces the refreshRate of the GPU when in the game to the desktop setting, which in your case is 60hz. The fact that has had some effect points to overheating!

However if your GPU never measures 80c or more, that makes no sense - we then have two lines of evidence pointing in opposite directions!

Could you cross-check your temp readings with another app such as Speccy?

And when have you last changed the thermal paste in the CPU and GPU? Are all fans apparently working?

I have yet to see it go over 80c for any of my PC components be it GPU or core. I have opened up the desktop and have applied compressed air to dusty regions but haven't noticed any drastic changes in the crashing. I don't really experience any consistent crashing like this with any other of my games. By the way I'm using SpeedFan 4.52 to measure the temperatures.

Since turning on V-sync, the crashes have occurred less frequently but are still present. Its the inconsistency of the crashes to desktop that is driving me insane. Sometimes it'll run an 1.5 hours, sometimes it'll go 20minutes.

Please advise

I had similar problems with Battletech crashing / BSOD-ing my computer.

Limiting the FPS to 30~50 helped somewhat, but the crashes still happened. Even when the highest GPU temperature reading was 63~65º C, according to GPU-Z.
( For GPU temperature monitoring try GPU-Z. It gives individual temperature sensor reading that are in the GPU core, instead of the average of those readings. )

What really fixed the issue ( after getting the GPU temp. under control ) was:
Setting the Paging File Size to 1.5 times the amount of System Ram for Initial Value and 3 times for the Maximum Value.
( 16 GB RAM, 24576 MB Initial, 49152 MB Max )
System Managed may also work depending on a system.

Tuning CPU and RAM... voltages, frequencies and timings for system stability. in other words "backing off" my overclocks.

If you are not overcloking try setting RAM frequency in BIOS one setting lower than rated. ( From 2400 down to 2133 for example )
Because my system passed a 2 hour memtest64 with no errors and crashed trying to load a Battletech career save, on the same exact memory settings. ( due to memory errors problay )

In a round about way Battletech is a better "system stability benchmark" than most synthetic benchmarks.

P.S.
Time to update the old meme: "But can it run Crysis BATTLETECH?"

Turning on Vsync reduces the refreshRate of the GPU when in the game to the desktop setting, which in your case is 60hz. The fact that has had some effect points to overheating!

However if your GPU never measures 80c or more, that makes no sense - we then have two lines of evidence pointing in opposite directions!

Could you cross-check your temp readings with another app such as Speccy?

And when have you last changed the thermal paste in the CPU and GPU? Are all fans apparently working?
Hey sorry I took so long to respond but you were right. It was a temperature issue. After changing my thermal paste and replacing a few of my fans today, I haven't crashed since!

• 1Like
Reactions: