BATTELTECH - Battle tech: game crashes after 3 years later

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

LanceKoth

Private
5 Badges
Feb 23, 2018
  • Stellaris
  • BATTLETECH
  • BATTLETECH - Beta Backer
  • BATTLETECH - Backer
  • Shadowrun: Hong Kong
One line summary of your issue
Battle tech: game crashes after 3 years later

Please explain your issue is in as much detail as possible.
After the mission "3 years later", I am able to see the mission report, then the games screen goes black and starts to show the loading spinner. After a time that goes away and leaves a black screen w/ a cursor. The game freezes and crashes at that point.

Steps to reproduce the issue
I replayed the mission 3 times from two different save files, then started a new game. It still crashed at that same point.

Upload attachment

Attachments

• output_log.txt
    16,5 KB · Views: 202
Last edited:
Upvote 0
I'm on the Beta Patch 1.1, all my previously existing issue disappeared, and im playing on an old laptop (Acer7750G, i5, 8 Gb RAM, AMD 6650M), medium settings, game is smooth. Top job guys. Thank you very much.

hey again, still trying to see if i can figure something out, but for now... things are weird.
it seems kind of random actually, sometimes the game works, sometimes it crashes upon changing room, it makes no sense.

in case anyone cares, here's an update :
**** new since last post ****

-force DX11, load the game, choose new contract, start mission, save game.
-unforce DX11, load game, play mission, finish it, leopard loads, change room : crash. (as expected)

-force DX11, load the game, choose new contract, launch mission, go alt-tab during loading, check back on it later : became kind of unresponsive.
-kill process, try again (hm, maybe i just should have left the game do its thing)
-stupid "continue" option did not load the right save, loading the right save manually, start mission, save game. quit by using "quit to desktop" instead of kill process
(geez, this tokk forever)
-unforce DX11, load game, play mission, finish it, leopard loads, change room : crash. (as expected)

-force DX11, "continue", Loaded the wrong save again, goddammit !
-erase wrong save, load correct save choose new contract, start mission, save game.

-unforce DX11, load game, play mission, finish it, leopard loads, change room : crash. (unusual : yang says "hey commander, be with you in a second")

-force DX11, load the game, start scenario mission "liberate prison", start mission, save game.
-unforce DX11, load game, play mission, jeez i made something really dumb
-reload mission, finish it (damn i forgot to save before the end !), unexpectedly everything works : is saving the game mid-mission bad ?
-launch new contract, play mission, game freezes near the end (no apparent reason, computer is hot but tolerable i guess)

-loaded the last savegame (pre-mission), argo loads fine, everything seems to work.
-start mission, game freezes (pc is super hot, i should try to lower the resolution to 1200x720)
-killed process, reload save, everything still works (whenever things worked before, it used to work only once, the game would crash normally the second time)
-launch contract, play mission (pc get hot but tolerable) argo screen loads, change room : crash (disappointed)

-unforce DX11, load game, play mission, finish it, argo loads fine, change room : crash

-unforce DX11, load game, play mission, save before the end, finish it, argo loads fine, change room : crash

(played a few more missions like that, no change whatsoever)

-finished one mission, one event immediately pops up (distress call from damage ship), resolve the event
-instead of changing rooms to the mech bay as usual, went to "hiring hall", hired a mechwarrior, saved manually. go to the barracks : everything works !
-start next scenario mission, save midway.
(dammit, i really need to unclog those fans -> take entire computer apart, clean everything)
-load save (everything seems a bit more responsive, but maybe my imagination) finish mission (dang, forgot to save before the end)
-cutscene tries to load, some sound signals that it started, but the screen stays black. (obviously)
-load save, continue mission, save just before killing the last mech, finish mission : cutscene works (dafuk ?) but game crahs upon changing room on the argo screen (consistency ?)

(is there something with the act of saving the game, somehow ?)

-load the post mission autosave, click on "hiring hall" (not changing room) save the game, everything works (maybe i'm on to somehting...)
-start new contract, argo screen loads fine, make manual save : everything works. (it's 2am -> sleep)

-start game again next day, load save, check hiring hall, change room : crash :(
-try again, argo screen loads, make manual save (again), change room : everything works
-started a new contract, played the mission, finished it, argo screen loads, manual save, change room : crash (but this time i have an error log !)

hey again, still trying to see if i can figure something out, but for now... things are weird.
it seems kind of random actually, sometimes the game works, sometimes it crashes upon changing room, it makes no sense.

in case anyone cares, here's an update :
**** new since last post ****

-force DX11, load the game, choose new contract, launch mission, go alt-tab during loading, check back on it later : became kind of unresponsive.
-kill process, try again (hm, maybe i just should have left the game do its thing)
-stupid "continue" option did not load the right save, loading the right save manually, start mission, save game. quit by using "quit to desktop" instead of kill process
(geez, this tokk forever)

-force DX11, "continue", Loaded the wrong save again, goddammit !
-erase wrong save, load correct save choose new contract, start mission, save game.

-unforce DX11, load game, play mission, finish it, leopard loads, change room : crash. (unusual : yang says "hey commander, be with you in a second")

-force DX11, load the game, start scenario mission "liberate prison", start mission, save game.
-unforce DX11, load game, play mission, jeez i made something really dumb
-reload mission, finish it (damn i forgot to save before the end !), unexpectedly everything works : is saving the game mid-mission bad ?
-launch new contract, play mission, game freezes near the end (no apparent reason, computer is hot but tolerable i guess)

-loaded the last savegame (pre-mission), argo loads fine, everything seems to work.
-start mission, game freezes (pc is super hot, i should try to lower the resolution to 1200x720)
-killed process, reload save, everything still works (whenever things worked before, it used to work only once, the game would crash normally the second time)
-launch contract, play mission (pc get hot but tolerable) argo screen loads, change room : crash (disappointed)

-unforce DX11, load game, play mission, finish it, argo loads fine, change room : crash

-unforce DX11, load game, play mission, save before the end, finish it, argo loads fine, change room : crash

(played a few more missions like that, no change whatsoever)

-finished one mission, one event immediately pops up (distress call from damage ship), resolve the event
-instead of changing rooms to the mech bay as usual, went to "hiring hall", hired a mechwarrior, saved manually. go to the barracks : everything works !
-start next scenario mission, save midway.
(dammit, i really need to unclog those fans -> take entire computer apart, clean everything)
-load save (everything seems a bit more responsive, but maybe my imagination) finish mission (dang, forgot to save before the end)
-cutscene tries to load, some sound signals that it started, but the screen stays black. (obviously)
-load save, continue mission, save just before killing the last mech, finish mission : cutscene works (dafuk ?) but game crahs upon changing room on the argo screen (consistency ?)

(is there something with the act of saving the game, somehow ?)

-load the post mission autosave, click on "hiring hall" (not changing room) save the game, everything works (maybe i'm on to somehting...)
-start new contract, argo screen loads fine, make manual save : everything works. (it's 2am -> sleep)

-start game again next day, load save, check hiring hall, change room : crash :(
-try again, argo screen loads, make manual save (again), change room : everything works
-started a new contract, played the mission, finished it, argo screen loads, manual save, change room : crash (but this time i have an error log !)

Have you tried updating to the newest beta patch? I think it's 1.1 something something. Some people say it has helped them play the game.

Have you tried updating to the newest beta patch? I think it's 1.1 something something. Some people say it has helped them play the game.
i downloaded the update like half an hour ago, but my last save was at the start of a story mission, so i can't tell yet if anything is solved for me.

what i do know now, is that the game just randomly crashed twice during said mission (destroy a dropship while refueling)
this kind of things had happened before, but at that time the GPU were scalding hot. I cleaned my fans two days ago so now it's barely warmish at best (like 40°C or something)
maybe it's just that mission though, i'll try to push a bit more and save often i guess.

EDIT : game crashed once more but i managed to finish the mission, everything went well, and i kind of feel that the anumated dialog scene went smoother than usual, but again it may be my imagination. the game didn't crash upon changing room though, that's by far the most important to me. running it under DX11 was a chore.

Last edited: