• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

OldFogey

Recruit
Feb 2, 2020
Hi all,

I bought a physical copy of the EU III base game way back when it came out (the Collector's edition if that matters) and recently reinstalled it.
I am looking for the patches, can someone help me?
Apparently they are in a part of this forum that only owners of the game can access?
Maybe I can find the patches myself if someone can tell me where to find the code on my physical box so I can register I own EU III on this forum?

Many thanks in advance.

Normally the game code is either on a sticker on the back of the box, or on the back of the manual, a long string of over a dozen characters (both numbers and letters). Be aware that Windows 10 will not work with on-disc DRM, so you can't run the game from the CD anymore, you'd have to repurchase it as a download (which I had to do for practically ALL of my games after switching to Windows 10). At that point, you might as well spend the extra dollar or two for a package deal with the expansions (if you get it during a decent sale), but beware that "EU3: Complete" is anything but "complete", it lacks the final two expansions. "EU3: Chronicles" is the complete package. If you're running an older OS and using the CD, or buying a download from a non-Steam source, you'll probably have to contact a moderator to get Technical Support to register your game here on the forum. THEN you can access the patches and updates. Good luck with it.

Keep in mind that EU3 is one of those pre-Steam Paradox titles which you can simply copy to another hdd if you've bought a new PC. For testing new mods is this in general advised in case you don't use a mod enabler. So you might theoretically circumvent re-buying the game and its expansions on Steam. ;)