Banana and Taro and Hunter-gatherers

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

King of Zoot

Major
100 Badges
Jul 30, 2012
  • Steel Division: Normand 44 - Second Wave
  • Magicka
  • A Game of Dwarves
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Sengoku
  • Sword of the Stars II
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Warlock 2: The Exiled
  • Warlock 2: Wrath of the Nagas
  • War of the Roses
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • March of the Eagles
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Steel Division: Normandy 44
  • Stellaris
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Cities in Motion
  • Cities in Motion 2
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Leviathan: Warships
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Impire
  • King Arthur II
  • Knights of Pen and Paper +1 Edition
  • Stellaris: Nemesis
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
Will banana and taro be added as food staples? These are important food crops in Africa and Polynesia respectively.

Also what sort of goods will hunter-gatherers and semi-nomadic groups produce?

• 8Like
Reactions:
I think they these groups will produce subsistence farms like other states (technically they don't farm, but that won't probably won't a big enough deal to change the system I'd bet).

Not sure about taro and bananas.

• 6Like
Reactions:
Bananas (and plantains) were rather significant to international trade and imperialism, and the first large plantations began operating in 1835. We still have the term, “banana republic.” They’ve also periodically been wiped out by diseases that create new challenges and opportunities.

• 4Like
Reactions:
There aren't multiple types of grain, only multiple types of grain farm. That might apply to fruits too.
Even if so, I hope the potentials are different, so we can track the prices of these goods differently. Apples and bananas should definitely have different prices and trends! I'm not going to invade Nicaragua for quinces... or at least, not as fervently.

Reactions:
Even if so, I hope the potentials are different, so we can track the prices of these goods differently. Apples and bananas should definitely have different prices and trends! I'm not going to invade Nicaragua for quinces... or at least, not as fervently.
Presuming there even are multiple types of fruit farm/orchard I doubt they will have effect beyond different manpower/output efficiency. But since fruit colonialism was an actual thing I'd love to have at least some kind of generic "tropical fruit" as a distinct type of good.

Reactions:
I believe they said that new resources will be easily moddable, and I assume that fruit will all be bundled into a single good or so such as the other food groups, but if people wanted to more realistically portray the price differences between certain types of fruit they could mod them in without much difficulty.

• 1Haha
Reactions:
I believe they said that new resources will be easily moddable, and I assume that fruit will all be bundled into a single good or so such as the other food groups, but if people wanted to more realistically portray the price differences between certain types of fruit they could mod them in without much difficulty.
They did say so yes. But to be clear with tropical fruit we aren't just talking about price differences, the main reason for introducing them would be that they start the game as rare or unknown luxuries in Europe but become commonplace imports by the end of the game.

Reactions:
Another reason to introduce banana farms would be that there were, sometimes, plagues that wiped out the world’s banana crop. This might be represented as disabling the fruit plantations in one part of the world, or by having different kinds of fruit plantations, any one type of which might be hit by a disease at any time.

Reactions:
I think it would be a loss if there weren't at least two categories of fruit. There's a big difference between the desirability and availability of tropical fruits from temperate fruits.

Apples and cherries are just not as sexy as bananas and pineapples.

• 3Like
Reactions:
I think it would be a loss if there weren't at least two categories of fruit. There's a big difference between the desirability and availability of tropical fruits from temperate fruits.

Apples and cherries are just not as sexy as bananas and pineapples.
Additionally, as mentioned, bananas specifically (but also other tropical fruit and their derivative products, such as coconut and coconut oil) were a factor driving imperialism and neo-colonial trade policies.

Reactions:
Hunter-gatherers are the very definition of subsistance farmers and i doubt any of them produce anything on their own they arent immediately eating.
HOWEVER. Trade. Start trading there and the hunter gatherers of africa will be more than happy to provide slaves (other tribes) and ivory in return for guns and ammunition. (perfect place to dump 20yo tech)

Or for that matter using guns as a currency to buy tribes. Provide guns for 2 armies, get one army and a ally of sorts vs local foes who will no doubt love to annex all those locals you fought. Or atleast take what they are allowed. And with ongoing trade and development such a friend, well, vassal would eventually be integrated. Especially with accepting the one true faith.

• 1Love
Reactions:
Hunter-gatherers are the very definition of subsistance farmers and i doubt any of them produce anything on their own they arent immediately eating.
HOWEVER. Trade. Start trading there and the hunter gatherers of africa will be more than happy to provide slaves (other tribes) and ivory in return for guns and ammunition. (perfect place to dump 20yo tech)

Or for that matter using guns as a currency to buy tribes. Provide guns for 2 armies, get one army and a ally of sorts vs local foes who will no doubt love to annex all those locals you fought. Or atleast take what they are allowed. And with ongoing trade and development such a friend, well, vassal would eventually be integrated. Especially with accepting the one true faith.
It is an incorrect assumption that hunting and gathering can't be productive enough to provide a surplus for trade. Certainly it's dwarfed by agriculture, but ivory, pearls, salmon, furs were all generally not farmed before the modern age but were premier trade goods

Reactions: