• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

unmerged(103443)

Corporal
1 Badges
Jun 5, 2008
  • Darkest Hour
Just started AOD. Have played a lot of hoi2 and DH. Started with 1939 scenario as Ger so at war with Poland. Immediately discover that (as usual for HOI1 games) the force and leader disposition for (Fall Weiss) is utterly stupid. First thing is to assign decent leaders off the western front to Poland. Then shock, there is now a time delay (days) to a leader assignment which is kind of awkward the morning of the invasion. So go to AoD manual (which has the usual Hoi2 long streams of generic rambling blather about WW2 combat that has absolutely nothing to do with playing the game). Find a big section on force commanders and surprise, surprise, there is absolutely zero about the time delay, how it works, mechanics etc. What is it about paradox games, its weird, their utter inability to document a game properly has been transmitted perfectly to the modders. Like a virus or something. I even went to the save game and sure enough when I look at the data for the specific landunit the new general is there but there is zero record of the time delay. So, once again, it'll be tucked away in some complicated file location, as untransparent as possible.
Normally, when I try a new Hoi variant it takes me a few days to get enraged by the idiotic mistakes and dreadful documentation. AoD is the winner: one hour!

yeah, the manual has not recieved many updates since aod was concieved, 7 days if you change a units commander until they are there, unfortunately it is only documented in the misc.txt file and not anywhere else that i recall - ai can do this instantly.
(1 month or 14 days to change ministers but i forget which and when - 7 days if it is done by event or ai)