Are there no political parties in Vic III?

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
So now that PDXCON is over and we've had a chance to take in the reactions to the announcement, I just want to say that we've heard your concerns about political parties, we're actively discussing the role they should play in the politics system right now, and more details about this will be forthcoming in a dev diary at some point in the future :)

• 52Love
  • 41Like
Reactions:
So now that PDXCON is over and we've had a chance to take in the reactions to the announcement, I just want to say that we've heard your concerns about political parties, we're actively discussing the role they should play in the politics system right now, and more details about this will be forthcoming in a dev diary at some point in the future :)
That’s great to hear!

• 3Like
Reactions:

Excellent news to hear!

• 4Like
Reactions:
Thank you for listening to the concerns many of us have. You guys have developed a great system with interest groups as a base as a way of simulating politics in as broad an array of countries as possible but a lot of us see so much potential for how to go above and beyond that by introducing political parties which are especially relevant for democracies as well as late game political movements like communism and fascism. I look forward to seeing what you come up with in the future once we get to the dev diaries about the political system.

• 4Like
Reactions:
Thanks!!

• 2Like
Reactions:
Good news everyone!

Im very happy that the team is taking another look at the politics system, hopefully some of the suggestions in this thread are helpful.

• 1Like
Reactions:
That's great, hopefully, we will see the impact of mafia, gangs, and political machines on politics

• 1Haha
Reactions:
I like the idea of the "pressure groups" you have at the moment, but a party system layered on top of that, to represent the people those groups have voted into government would be cool too, so to please parties you have to please these groups instead. (although IRL being a supporter of independent candidates over political parties, it'd be cool if they were a thing too...)

• 2Like
Reactions:
Bless you! Eagerly waiting to see the results!

• 2Like
Reactions:
That's great, hopefully, we will see the impact of mafia, gangs, and political machines on politics

Maybe for DLC. That would be pretty cool, actually. Show that interest groups are not necessarily all entirely legitimate operations and expressions of grievances. Some parties or governments might accept the support of such groups (openly or otherwise), while most would want to quash them.

I like it. Do some cross branding with the Empire of Sin team.

• 1Like
Reactions:
I am not really fond of the DLC sprout that has become customary in the gaming industry, and especially with Paradox games, but I think your post radiates a scathing cynicism. You are entitled to your opinion of course, and this is the way you feel to express it. Fine.

Being an employee in the IT industry (not in software development though), I can only state that the development cycles Paradox and other gaming companies employ may have something to do with delivering content in an agile way, rather than following a waterfall approach. That is, it is no longer a goal to produce fully polished games at first launch, but to provide for a game that has decent basic gameplay. Then, after launch, it is evaluated if the basic gameplay does what it should be doing. In this case, it is simulating politics in a plausible way for a majority of cases, and not getting it all right to finest details the first time. I say this while being a perfectionist, who actually has difficulties adhering to this in my own job. Afterwards DLCs will be built around features players have expressed to care about and to be willing to pay for. Development goes on from here. Games nowadays remain in constant development, even more so after lauch than before it. Politics may well be a prime candidate for further development. You may think about pricing all you like, and I personally think Paradox may milk their games too much through subsequent DLCs. Your scathing tone suggests Paradox are conn artists, but I do not think that's true. Paradox is actually one of the few companies that keep on developing their games rather than abandoning them within a year after launch. Paradox also tries to listen to its base and to make their games mod-friendly.

I may have spoken before my turn here, as I do not know anything more than you do. My interpretation is just my interpretation of what I have read in the reddit thread and on this forum from Wiz. Screenshots also specify that religious schools provide strength to the devout interest group, which suggests there is one of it per country. But I do sincerely hope that you are right. It would make the interest group system so much more versatile and flexible, and not to mention, more suitable for being further developed in the direction of a realistic representation of political parties as well.
I wouldn't say they're con artists, but I would say that they care more about maximizing the long-term revenue stream from a game than providing a good experience from that game at launch. From a business standpoint, which is understandably their main concern, that works. From a player standpoint, especially after watching Stellaris collapse under the weight of multiple revisions and DLCs, I hate it and don't see any reason to hide that.

As for cynical, okay, sure. Now tell me I'm wrong and we're not going to see those DLCs.

Reactions:
This is great news - I do want to reiterate what I and from what I've seen many others have said about the mechanic of interest groups being a really good addition, it's just that it couldn't be the full story by itself. Elections, governments, ideologies, the passing of laws... these all ultimately need political parties (and/or factions) to tie them together, not "rural folk".

The game looks to be going in a great direction - keep up the good work!

• 5Like
Reactions:
Most people like the change as such. But one would like to see the parties additionally and dynamically integrated. It's about immersion and the mapping of divisions in certain movements, such as the various workers' parties.

• 2Like
Reactions:
I wouldn't say they're con artists, but I would say that they care more about maximizing the long-term revenue stream from a game than providing a good experience from that game at launch. From a business standpoint, which is understandably their main concern, that works. From a player standpoint, especially after watching Stellaris collapse under the weight of multiple revisions and DLCs, I hate it and don't see any reason to hide that.

As for cynical, okay, sure. Now tell me I'm wrong and we're not going to see those DLCs.
At a time when the idea of "games as a service" is seeing so many online games have their servers shut after just a year or two and developers end support for a game as soon as it's released, it's really weird to see people so desperate to look at a developer that actually gives long term support for their games supporting most of them for nearly a decade, which is longer than even most MMOs get, and claim it's a bad thing.

• 2Like
Reactions:
At a time when the idea of "games as a service" is seeing so many online games have their servers shut after just a year or two and developers end support for a game as soon as it's released, it's really weird to see people so desperate to look at a developer that actually gives long term support for their games supporting most of them for nearly a decade, which is longer than even most MMOs get, and claim it's a bad thing.
I didn't say long term support is a bad thing, but as a consumer, I prefer the days when you could just buy a game and play it, rather than getting it in pieces. Just one of the problems with the piecemeal approach is that the game just breaks down over time as changing bits and pieces breaks other bits and pieces.

(A cynical person might say that another way of looking at 'supporting them for nearly a decade' would be 'milking the consumers for nearly a decade.' I'm sure no one here would say that, though.)

• 2Like
Reactions:

Please also take into consideration the people who want IGs to remain the core of political gameplay when, potentially, adding parties! :)

Reactions:
Thank you for taking this into consideration. Interest groups are a great idea and will add a lot more depth to the game, but they really need to work as just building blocks rather than be the full system in and of themselves.

• 3Like
Reactions:
Thank you very much! It's great seeing devs willing to make their vision evolve to adress issues players have over a game they didn't even played yet, but are already passionate about!

Everyone is saying it, but interest groups are really a great concept. We just want something less abstract as well :). I'm sure you read enough of our feedback to know it, but by no mean do we want to return to VIcky 2 political parties.

• 4Like
Reactions:
I may have spoken before my turn here, as I do not know anything more than you do. My interpretation is just my interpretation of what I have read in the reddit thread and on this forum from Wiz. Screenshots also specify that religious schools provide strength to the devout interest group, which suggests there is one of it per country. But I do sincerely hope that you are right. It would make the interest group system so much more versatile and flexible, and not to mention, more suitable for being further developed in the direction of a realistic representation of political parties as well.

"Devout group" being unique per country is not contradictory for a IG of another religion also existing (much less about IGs unconnected to religion). It just means the "devout group" is specifically about the state religion (witch we do know every country has exact one of, which I am not happy about).

You are right it is just interpretations, which is why I think it is a bit silly to worry too much now, but that is not really my point. My point is you based your specific interpreation over a misreading of a quote. Unless whoever wrote that reddit post is wrong we already know not every country have all the "templates". Hell, the same post also made a list with 8 IG including everyone in the Britain screenshot and called it a list of examples. Again, he could be wrong, but as long as we are basing on his account, I think you interpretation is just not very well substantiated. My interpretation is just an interpretation, of course, but not all interpretations are equal. I think yours is bad, it is based on a misreading.

I think you are probably right in the sense that is unlikely Paradox will make a perfect system that will represent interest groups super well the way some people are already hyping about. Nonetheless, I think you are focusing on the wrong stuff, because the evidence doesn't support your reading