• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Sep 3, 2009
May be a bit nooblishe question, but...

So far it seems that all radars, sonars & IRST in game are omnidirectional, even those installed on weapons and fighters.
Am I right? If it's true, I think you should have realistic detection zones for sensors in your backlog with high priority ;)

Sonars are not, they have baffle zones, but radars are.

Implementing detection zones for other sensors would require Gui support (we'd have to provide graphics showing these sectors in the UI), and it would effectively increase the workload for sensor simulation, thus decrease the number of units the game would support on any given hardware.

Would be nice, but not going to happen next week :)

....and Towed sonar are blind toward the front of the craft.

A pilot can swivel the radar head anyway so actually implementing angles of detection in the game would be a little difficult. I would have thought simplifying it to aircraft having blind spots at the rear, missiles not being able to reacquire targets they pass closely etc would be enough. Ground clutter, atmosphere etc all affect radar range and efficiency so if you are talking about that degree of detail it would be quite a bit of work to implement properly.

Anyway I think the planes are far too extensively dealt with in this game already compared to the subs and ships which I would like improved beyond anything else.