AoW: Planetfall - Game Crashing when trying to continue or load a save of my current game

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

AllianceInFaith

Recruit
18 Badges
Aug 24, 2021
  • Age of Wonders II
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall - Revelations
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall Season pass
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall Premium edition
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall Deluxe edition
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall
  • Prison Architect
  • Shadowrun Returns
  • Surviving Mars: Digital Deluxe Edition
  • Cities in Motion 2
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Surviving Mars
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Stellaris
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Darkest Hour
One line summary of your issue
Game Crashing when trying to continue or load a save of my current game

What platform are you running the game on?
Steam

What operating system do you use?

Which version of the game are you running?
2021.6 / newest release

What expansions do you have installed?
Revelations, Invasions, Star King

Please explain your issue is in as much detail as possible.
The game and all other menu features work fine, but when loading into a previous game save it will show the loading screen for 7 seconds then crash.

Have you tried verifying your files?
Yes

Steps to reproduce the issue
1. Launch loader. 2 Launch Game. 3 Click continue/load most recent game save. 4 wait seven seconds on loading sceen

Attach DxDiag (PC) or System Info log (Mac)
File(s) attached

Attach screenshot / video
File(s) attached

Attachments

• Game0823_1813.txt
    53,5 KB · Views: 0
Upvote 0
My best guess from that log is that save game file is bad in some way,. Do you have previous saves you can try loading up?

Can you start a new campaign okay?

I see! I have no explanation for why multiple saves got corrupted - that doesn't seem to be a known problem with this game , or indeed any of our games!

There weren't any mods involved here I assume?

I see! I have no explanation for why multiple saves got corrupted - that doesn't seem to be a known problem with this game , or indeed any of our games!

There weren't any mods involved here I assume?
Nope, no enabled mods. I can create new games, but any of the saves after turn 50ish don't load at all. This would include all but 2 auto saves, the other 18 don't load at all

Okay, let's try a full **clean** re-install:

- move any uncorrupted save games elsewhere
- "uninstall" in Steam-Planetfall
- manually delete both the Steam/SteamApps/common/Planetfall AND Documents/Paradox Interactive/Planetfall folders
In particular make sure there are no files or folders left under either the Steam Planetfall or Documents Planetfall locations, before installing again.
- re-install game in Steam, run a Steam Verify when done.
- add AowPF.exe to the exceptions list of your antivirus app; ESPECIALLY if you have Windows Defender, add it to the Ransomware "Apps Allowed Through" list.
- start the game with no mods active and test with a new campaign, BEFORE restoring any of the existing saved games

Please let me know if the problem recurs after then!

Okay, let's try a full **clean** re-install:

- move any uncorrupted save games elsewhere
- "uninstall" in Steam-Planetfall
- manually delete both the Steam/SteamApps/common/Planetfall AND Documents/Paradox Interactive/Planetfall folders
In particular make sure there are no files or folders left under either the Steam Planetfall or Documents Planetfall locations, before installing again.
- re-install game in Steam, run a Steam Verify when done.
- add AowPF.exe to the exceptions list of your antivirus app; ESPECIALLY if you have Windows Defender, add it to the Ransomware "Apps Allowed Through" list.
- start the game with no mods active and test with a new campaign, BEFORE restoring any of the existing saved games

Please let me know if the problem recurs after then!
The game save is sadly not worth doing this, but thank you. I'm just going to try a new game and hope it does not happen again. If it does happen again il just wait for a fixing patch hopefully. I do have most of the things you said already set (like the firewall and windows defender) before any of this happened. I think it's just a bad save in the end by the game.

There won't be any more patches for this game I'm afraid: