• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Spartanjackwar

Recruit
36 Badges
Mar 9, 2017
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Cities: Skylines - Green Cities
  • Crusader Kings III: Royal Edition
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Cities: Skylines Industries
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Cities: Skylines - Campus
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall Deluxe edition
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall Premium edition
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall Season pass
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall - Revelations
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Cities: Skylines - Natural Disasters
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Stellaris
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Magicka: Wizard Wars Founder Wizard
  • Cities: Skylines
One line summary of your issue
Game crashes instantly in tutorial.

What platform are you running the game on?
Steam

What operating system do you use?
Windows 10 (64-bit) OS build 18363.1198

Which version of the game are you running?

What expansions do you have installed?
Revelations, Invasions

Please explain your issue is in as much detail as possible.
I just bought the game and started by playing the tutorial. The moment you get to the 2nd turn and start combat, it crashes. The crash involves video becoming frozen, followed by audio eventually cutting out and then the application opens the crash reporter.

I already submitted a report with each crash, but I figure I should follow it up here. I saved two of the crash dump names:
AOWPF_Crash_2020-11-11-09-16-49_CFAA42E1.tcd
AOWPF_Crash_2020-11-12-08-14-36_88444ABA.tcd

Have you tried verifying your files?
Yes

Steps to reproduce the issue
1. Open game for first time.
2. Click tutorial.
3. Progress until turn 2. At the beginning of turn 2, move your army to the biodome and initiate manual combat.
4. Crash.

I've reproduced this 4 times. I've only opened the game 4 times.

Attach DxDiag (PC) or System Info log (Mac)
File(s) attached

Attach screenshot / video
File(s) attached

Attachments

• DxDiag.txt
    78,9 KB · Views: 0
Upvote 0
Hey Spartanjackwar, thanks for your report and I'm sorry to see your first experience hasn't been that great. I had a look at the provided crash reports, the first is a pretty general interface crash so that wasn't much of help. The second crash report is similar to issues we tackled with the Hotfix from this morning. Could you double check that Steam correctly updated your game and if still presents the issue?

Thanks for the reply! Tried again today after I verified steam updated the game.
New version is 1.403.43700.
It crashed faster than before. Instead of being fine for a few seconds, it crashes instantly on load. Audio and visual behavior of crash is unchanged otherwise.
Here is the dump name: AOWPF_Crash_2020-11-12-19-11-39_D0883B9C.tcd

Hmm still the same crash. We've got some fires to put out at this moment but once those are dealt with I'll have one of the programmers take another look. I can see multiple of these crashes in our backend so there might be something useful in there.

The game is still crashing, even after the December 3rd patch. Is there any hope for this to be fixed?
The callstacks presented in the crash reports have all been addressed with the patches so theoretically you shouldn't be experiencing any crashes related to those. Do you have a recent Crash Report for us to take a look at?

You appear to have a general issue with rendering the interface but we can't see what or why, your system is certainly more than capable. Do you also frequently crash in combat's that aren't in the tutorial?

Just tried to start a newly generated planet. Was able to move units and select a production in the starting city before hitting end turn. Crashed immediately after.
Appears that combat might not even be related to the crashes.

Tried sitting in the main menu, which appears to never result in a crash. Sitting in the leader selector before landing on a newly generated planet also doesn't crash.

Crash dump: AOWPF_Crash_2020-12-15-09-55-38_8A13E17A.tcd

Sadly, that isn't too surprising. The issue with these interface rendering crashes is that we can't debug them or reproduce them so we have no leads on how to address it. You could still try Driver updates but in all honesty, if you're under the two hour Steam Threshold a refund might be better. I'm sorry I couldn't be of more help.