• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Yeah, but Stony got closed few months ago and now it works mostly as an archive.
Maybe in a year and a half we are gonna get 15th Anniversary Edition from Paradox? ;)

Yeah, I'm playing vanilla too. An anniversary edition would be really nice. HoI1 is only working properly on my gaming laptop now.

After the original release of Hearts of Iron it was already part of the "Strategy pack 6" (together with Victoria, Two Thrones, Europa Universalis 2, Crown of the North and EU2: Asian Chapters"), there was a "Hearts of Iron Platinum" (= HoI with the latest patch and the CORE mod included) and the "Hearts of Iron Anthology" (HoI 1 + HoI 2 + HoI2 Doomsday + a nice icon for the forum).

I still fire up C.O.R.E. 9.2 and The Great War mods from time to time. The original HOI still has some desirable features lost in the later versions of the franchise.

-C

Well, it's 2016 now.

I was wondering, if anyone besides me is still hanging onto HoI1. Feels abit like necro'ing though.

So, anybody out there?

Yes I still play this game now and then and have been since its release. I recently figured out how to invade the US successfully as Germany in 1939. Before the last update you could do it later but now there is such a penalty for being overseas its hard to do. I wrote about it on reddit:

link removed

Last edited by a moderator:
I've gone back to it starting today after struggling with the POS that is HOI4. 2 was a disappointment but it was playable. 3 was hideous. I couldn't figure out how to do anything. 4 isn't any better. I can't even figure out how to transfer an Air Force from one base to another except by disbanding it and building it again at the new base.

It seems like after a major win with the first Hearts of Iron, Paradox is just spinning it's wheels and producing crap, at least for HOI. Every new version is worse than the last. So I'm done giving them my money. I'll play the original for as long as I can get it to run.

I'm completely new in this series so I trying to learn basic concepts of initial version, but manual shipped with the game turn to be must horrible one what I see in my entire gaming life. Despite of being written by pro journalist (Mark H. Walker by credits) it is full of repetitious sentences like:

"At the top of the Province Menu is the name of the province. To the left of the name is the flag of the controlling country."

And almost no detailed information about HOW this game works.

So if anyone can share with me Stonyroad' version I will very grateful for this!

Being in the middle of rereading the manual, I can see your point. My personal favourite is "Improving the province infrastructure will raise this, if the resource is available." getting repeated four times within eight lines (near the beginning of the Map interface documentation). The section about combat mechanics is also full of repetitive language that could have been avoided by starting with a section about general principles of combat resolution for all types of combat. More importantly, some information (particularly in the sections about diplomacy and ministers) is plainly wrong. One gets the impression that the writer just converted an outdated design document into the manual without spending that much time actually playing the game. (The odd instructions how to name battleships at the very end of the manual also hint at that.) Before anyone jumps up and down to say "See! That's why the brilliant minds at Paradox no longer bother to write manuals at all these days!", let me say that the manuals for HoI2 and EU3 have shown that it is possible to write a documentation that covers the game concepts in great detail and is mostly accurate for the release version.

Having said all that, the HoI1 manual should get some credit for being ambitious. It was the first Paradox manual to attempt giving a detailed account of combat mechanics and it is the only one apart from the EU1 manual to include historical background information. For all its flaws, I enjoy reading it because it does convey what a good manual should aspire to be.

Bought it from GOG, been playing some. Kind of frustrating getting everything down. For example, I can't seem to change history too much. Maybe it's not meant to be that way, I don't know. I did accidentally bungle into turning the US into a Communist nation once. But say, staying out of the war entirely? Can't seem to pull it off. I don't pass the embargo on Japan and even once had them converted just about to democracy, but they still declare war and attack California anyway. It'd be nice if there was a mod where you could break out of the three ideology setup and become a fourth alliance. Yes, I know that's the fundamental structure of the game, just thinking. Certainly a deep game though.

Last edited: