• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

delra

Master of Orion
34 Badges
Jan 27, 2008
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Victoria 2
Can someone please show me a screenshot of an example profitable bus line in Vienna at any start date? No matter what I do with buses, I can't earn a single buck. Best case scenario they make as much as I spend on them. I can jack prices, exploit my employees and neglect maintenance to earn small amounts of cash but city starts rioting soon after.

I haven't been able to crack the code for "making profit" yet. And I ran into a few problems.. For instance, placing a bus stop just next to the crosswalk was a bad idea. On either side I had 50-150 people (with red faces..). And every once in a while, they would cross the road - making the busses stop completely until they had crossed the street.

No big deal? Well - I had 10 busses on this route, so they all was standing there just waiting for the people to stop crossing the road. Not really what I had in mind when I planned that route. :eek:

I'm running about 20 Metros @ +250 monthly profit each for a total of 5000 profit. (17k income 12k expenses).

This is playing the 2010 sandbox scenario btw and the year is now 2023 :)

On either side I had 50-150 people (with red faces..). And every once in a while, they would cross the road - making the busses stop completely until they had crossed the street.
I wish this game had multiplayer, I could so destroy my oppositions bus and tramlines by putting one metro stair from each mainline on each side of their main transport road blocking it pretty much totally :rolleyes:

Started with the Sandbox in 1945 and am finding it difficult to make a profit. Interesting how the cities are different depending on the era you choose. Nothing much except the tivoli on the other side of the river. If only the timeline feature was available for user-made maps... :(

Anyway, going with trams myself as well. Have to be really patient just to be able to buy one more tram to ease clogs at major stops (= railway station). Fast forward is also pretty useful. Getting bored of that, though, and going to risk my whole finances by taking a loan trying to complete a couple of missions I have in store (= haven't had funds to build the lines needed).

My traffic was getting all stuck at Roternturmstrasse thanks to all the military parades and busy streets. Only way I could think of solving the problem was to lay the tracks for instance THROUGH a marketplace instead of past it and BEHIND a department store instead of in front of it.

metros are the key

You got it. The developer love the metro and want it to be the big money maker. Use trams and buses to feed your "Metro monster" and generate profits. I would fix this to be more creative. Trams should be the most profitable followed by buses in my opinion and in most cities that i have traveled:wacko: to.

You got it. The developer love the metro and want it to be the big money maker. Use trams and buses to feed your "Metro monster" and generate profits. I would fix this to be more creative. Trams should be the most profitable followed by buses in my opinion and in most cities that i have traveled:wacko: to.
I think it's okay metros are a "money makers". But they should also be a "money shredder". Trails and stations are too cheap. At moment, you can build two underground stations and around 1km trails for only 10.000 credits. That's donated. It should be at least 4x more. I think it would be better to only be able to build up a metro system very late in a game, when you saved a lot of money.

Last edited:
For the record, I can make a profitable line with ease now. ;-)

At first I thought it was pretty much impossible to make money, however you can't just dump down a line somewhere and expect it to be profitable. Give it some thought, choose the best vehicle(s) for the route, and try your best to minimize breakdowns (yes, that includes upping the maintenance from 50% to 95% for your vehicles).
In my last sandbox game I started out with a tram line (1 tram) and one bus line (4 buses) - income 500$ from the tram and 850$ from the bus line which added up to somewhere around +850 after all expenses per month.

It's possible to make money with buses after all. Took me 15 minutes to design by putting bus lines where subway lines are supposed to be. :)

It is 100% buses. At ticket price at 4.60 it earns 2300 income at 1200 cost making for a solid (roughly, depending on economy) 1k income per month. Coverage 32% so plenty of space for improvement. (You can see airport and many factories aren't touched yet, those lines will earn a solid income too.

Scenario was 1970 Vienna. It has buses with 4% failure rate, 50 speed and 18 capacity which are very cool and which I use to run those lines. Total cost of entire thing was at around 20 000 (mostly bus cost, 650k a piece). It consists of 8 medium-length lines with 3-4 buses per each so far. Lots of red faces on stops but I only add new buses when all new ones earn cash (100 per vehicle in "manage vehicles" overview).

Most lines connect railway stations and market places with city centre where they loop around and go back same route on the opposite side moving people both directions with just one line. Stops are spaced out,` their maintenance costs quite a bit (I used cheapest stops) and they slow the line considerably so I try to not have two stop "circles" touching each other unless they are on the opposite sides of the street (and even then I try to place them between each other).

I restart all lines yearly to space out vehicles because due to lack of scheduling they "bulk' together and it lowers line effectiveness. All lines start 1 stop before the busiest place because when you start a line or add a bus, it doesn't pick up passengers at first stop.

It's not a real bomb and it doesn't earn all that much but with 1k a month using just standard starting cash you can start steady and slowly replace the thing with trams (1970 tram has 24 capacity, 70 speed and same small 4% breakage rate so it's much better than the best bus). And eventually with subway to start making a huge buck.

So... buses do work.

map2xv.jpg