• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Kyoumen

General
34 Badges
Dec 6, 2009
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Stellaris
  • Stellaris Sign-up
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Stellaris: Lithoids
  • Stellaris: Federations
  • Crusader Kings III: Royal Edition
  • Stellaris: Nemesis
  • Victoria 3 Sign Up
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Mount & Blade: Warband
  • Victoria 2 A House Divided Beta
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • 500k Club
  • Victoria 2
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Rome Gold
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Deus Vult
  • Sengoku
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Divine Wind
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
Been playing Victoria a bit since I picked it up in the GG sale; I really love many parts of it (the economic management, how every country is a really different experience), but I've found that warfare and revolts ruin the game for me more often than not.

In my first full-length game after a few test runs, I was Argentina; I had three major wars with Brazil and every single time the armies raised by revolting partisans considerably outnumbered the prewar Brazilian army. That is... ridiculous. Even more ridiculous were the absurdly massive partisan revolts in an abortive China game that arose when I started conquering Burma and India during the first Opium War. Literally a hundred thousand Burmese and Indians rising up within months of a Chinese invasion to try and return to the loving arms of the British Empire? Uh, yeah, no. Even a mod that restricts partisan activity to pops of accepted cultures would at least be an improvement, but a dramatic reduction in frequency as well would be good. I understand that the era wasn't characterised by taking and holding entire countries (that weren't "uncivilized"), but partisan activity that matches or exceeds actual standing armies in the field is ridiculous and makes warfare very tedious.

Similarly, revolts also quickly get absurd if your POPs are militant or you garner high war exhaustion (hi, China in the Opium War game again). Mostly the problem here is that it takes far too long to fade. Sure, people might agitate and revolt if France goes too long without social reforms (even if it was because the populace kept voting for the laissez-faire party, and has otherwise been tremendously successful and every pop has more than enough money to cover at least the first two tiers of needs) or China goes through a hundred thousand men holding off the British, but to still be getting revolts like clockwork every single week twenty years later (with every one being ruthlessly crushed in the meantime) is absurd. A mod to switch to a Vicky2-style system of fewer but more serious revolts would be great, but if not, at least some way to get down WE and militancy more easily would help. I do enjoy the aspect of trying to keep your populace happy, but rebel-squashing every week is tedious in the extreme, basically prevents you from doing anything else, and is again highly unrealistic.

Those are the main problems I have with what is otherwise a really enjoyable game, but they're really major problems, because interminable rebel-whacking caused me to kill two ongoing games and go back to EUIII for a while. So... does anything like this exist? I can't be the only one to have been frustrated at spending hours doing nothing but crushing rebels or reconquering colonies that are absurdly loyal to their exploitative masters.