• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

CastledK1ng

Recruit
2 Badges
Feb 16, 2021
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings III
Pretty frusterating. Sometimes it loads into a blank white screen with audible sounds you can hear (hovering over menu items I cant see in the background), sometimes it's black, sometimes it crashes and I send the report in.

Attached are all the requested logs and I've configured allow on all ransomware setting notifications.

Windows 10 up-to-date
AMD FirePro W7000 w/ latest driver
Latest x86/x64 VCRedist
Changing resolution doesn't help
Install/reinstall of CK3 and Paradox Launcher (cleaned dirs before reinstall)
Steam Reinstall as well
Launching ck3.exe locally gives the same issue
No problem with OneDrive dir permissions, Paradox created in the Documents folder just fine

Nothing else that I can think of that could be conflicting. Please help!

I can't capture it in the screengrab but on the 3rd black screen the glove icon cursor is visible and able to move. You can hear the sound it makes when it highlights over a menu option but you can't see anything.

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    105,3 KB · Views: 0
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    260 KB · Views: 0
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    38,7 KB · Views: 0
I disabled Ransomware protection entirely to test, uninstalled, reinstalled ck3 and the paradox launcher. I haven't got this one before and it doesn't happen the next time I try to launch either:

Attachments

• 4.JPG
    4.JPG
    97,5 KB · Views: 0
Your launcher is fairly old, so lets update that . Please try this:

- exit the Steam app entirely
- uninstall Paradox Launcher v2 from the Windows "Apps and features" utility, if still present.

Delete the following folders if still present:

- C:/users/<UserName>/AppData/Local/Programs/Paradox Interactive/
- C:/users/<UserName>/AppData/Local/Paradox Interactive/
- C:/users/<UserName>/AppData/Roaming/Paradox Interactive/launcher-v2/
To see the AppData folder you'll need to enable View Hidden Items in File Explorer.

- run steam.exe as the Windows Admin user

- run the game from the PLAY button in Steam

IF that doesn't help, in this folder are some .log files:
C:/users/<UserName>/AppData/Local/Paradox Interactive/launcher-v2/
Please attach them here.

As for the game, it fails running from ck3.exe directly, is that right? We see many GPU errors in that error log, so let's check that out:
DXDIAG is a program you run from a command prompt or the Windows start menu 'run' dialog box (or 'search programs' in Windows 7 or later). After running it will open a window and start collecting info with a progress bar in the lower-left corner. When it completes click the 'save all information' button and save it to a file then attach that file here.

launcher-2021-02-16.log is empty so it wouldnt upload but attached are the others. When I uninstalled the Paradox Launcher and deleted the folders you specified I ran Steam as an admin got the error in the screenshot below. My next attempt will be uninstalling the launcher and game, running Steam as admin and reinstalling everything but I believe I've already tried that last night among other things.

I just tried uninstalling everything and reinstalling. Going through the process I realize that in the screenshot the launcher hadn't been updated. Here's what just happened:

Uninstalled CK3, Closed Steam, Uninstalled Paradox Launcher, Deleted Leftover Dirs, Disabled RW protection, Launched Steam as admin, installed CK3,ran into same "mod dir permissions" error I attached before, launcher updated automatically, gave it time to update the launcher >
restarted CK3 as requested after launcher update, then crash >>> back to square one in the OP

I appreciate your quick response. What a headache this has been just trying to get the thing to launch. I sent the crash report with the message: "Forum Thread /another-game-crashing-on-launch-thread.1456787/"
in the report so you can easily identify it.

That first screenshot shows an older launcher version still, 2020.14 . Yet i see the current one 2021.1 downloading in cpatch.log. Is there an orange or red dot up the top left of the launcher?

As for the game, what happens if you exit the Steam app entirely then run ck3.exe directly from Windows Explorer? Any Windows error show then?

Same issue. I've tried the older launcher, the newest (beta) launcher, and the current launcher and whether I run it from the launcher or from Windows exp directly it either crashes, or hangs out on the upon launch "Initializing" screen for about a minute and the splash stays in place.

I can run the mouse over where I know the main menu options are and here a noise anytime I hover over an option or switch between them.

You can't see them on screen but they can be heard.

I tried updating to that one on the 15th and ran into several errors trying to install it and gave up. I gave it another shot after you mentioned and read through the installation guide. Apparently Radeon Pro software won't install until you uninstall the current driver manually, and then it installs just fine - and then CK3 runs just fine. I appreciate the help. Hopefully this helps someone else using W7000 w/ that older driver