• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
@ loki:

ROFL. I had to use Google / Youtube. Hilarious. :rofl:

@ Qorten:

Too late. The heathens will get punished again. :D

A lot of miracles lately... I fear a lot of disasters coming up shortly... ;)

Ostfriesland, February 18th 1285

Martinikerk.JPG

Diocese Bishop Georg stands at the altar in the Martinikerk in Groningen to celebrate the requiem mass for the deceased Duke Franz van Braunschweig. Right after the Kyrie he turns to all those present in order to tribute the achievements of the departed Duke.

"Dear parish,

Duke Franz van Braunschweig was a loving man. To such a degree, that neither a noble`s wife nor the lowest barmaid, christian or heathen, was in the miserable position to live without experiencing his strong affection.

Thus it is not surprising, that he was also a family guy. He couldn`t have endured to be apart from his loved ones or to neglect one of his numerous children he had with his no less numerous playmates. Still less he had preferred one of his children over the others. Thus, in perfectly lived christian love and to the particular pleasure of his wife, he acknowledged even an illegitimate bastard he had with a random alley cat as his child and treated him equal to his legitimate sons.

He was a faithful servant of our holy church. His constructive and surely well-meant remarks concerning the holy trinity and Mary`s virginity rank among his merits as well as those thousands of men, women and children he ditched from their worries and hardships during his crusades.

But his most particular love was directed to his country, that he reigned for such a long time with terrific wisdom and self-sacrifice. Yes, self-sacrifice I say. For it was him, who chose at his great age of 57 years a young woman to be his wife, just because of her skills in stewardship. Since he swore an oath of celibacy in preparation of his afterlife two years before, he relieved his young bride of the temptations of animal desires and the troubles of raising own children.

His foresight reflects especially in his glorious decision, to connect his realm with the Holy Roman Empire instead of the wicked Kingdom of France. And we all, as his subjects, enjoyed due to this decision ten years of intense interaction with our dear french brothers.

I conclude that, as far as I am concerned, there was never a man like him, who studied the ten commandments and seven deadly sins as well as he did to ignore those and fulfill these. May his sinful soul burn in hell for eternity. Amen."

All: "AMEN"

(Will God have mercy with Franz` soul and let him get away with a few centuries purgatory? Will his grandson Amadeus get used to this ugly blue color on the maps? Find out in the next chapter.)

Last edited:
Next to the fact I'm always right, that's the way CK works... ;)

Okay, it wasn`t all that bad. I lost Brabant (plus the title Duke of Brabant). That would have been enough, but I additionally became the french king`s vasall. Winning-side-joiner. :)

Bishop Georg feels a little bit pissed about that, but fortunately he`s not the resentful type. :p

And Franz was really amazing. Ruled for 56 years, 10 children with 6 women, 2100 prestige and 1700 piety. Not bad for a realm, that started with fricking Frisia.

BTW: I never played CK beyond 1300 due to boredom issues. So one reason for this AAR is to force me to finish a game.

What a stupendous AAR, I'm loving the debauched Frisian nobility.

Ekbert II. didn`t understand, until he noticed, that Bishop Rudolf was ostentatiously rubbing his hands.

E: "You mean, our Nobility has turned into a bunch of wankers?"

That line simply floored me! Consider me very much subscribed.

Sticht, July 2nd 1298 (shortly after the death of Duke Amadeus)

conwy_6.jpg

Duke Willem van Braunschweig (better known as "Willem the Getaway" by the few people who knew him before he made his way to the King of France) is walking through the suspiciously deserted corridors of the castle.

W: "Hello?! Hellooooo-ooooo?! Anybody there?"

Steward Beatrix appears on the scene.

B: "I hear you, Willem. What`s up?"
W: "You tell me. I came here to take control of the business and nobody shows up. Where is everybody?"
B: "Gone to other courts."
W: "Why that?"
B: "I`m not sure, but just maybe it had to do something with the fact, that Amadeus was a heretic kinslayer."
W: "What`s wrong with being a kinslayer?"
B: "Hey, it was your brother."
W: "And he was a prick. So what? No reason to abandon this place."
B: "Aha, and for what reason did you leave?"
W: "Well, I had to pursue some...important...studies..." *coughs*
B: "..."
W: "Okay, I was chicken. But these days are over. Now I`m here, so tell me what`s the state of the duchy."
B: "Well, all our vassals and able courtiers have left us, our productivity is down the drain, so is our stability and the whole south is in turmoil with peasant uprisings."
W: "In short, we`re pretty much f***** up."
B: "Quasi."
W: "Alright, so we need a new staff. Make a note to place advertisements in all newspapers, that we`re looking for employees."
B: "Don`t think we`ll be successful, since our reputation kills us."
W: "How is that?"
B: "Hello? Heresy? Murder?"
W: "True. So we need a message."
B: "A message?"
W: "Yes, some kind of catchphrase to uplift the spirit. What about change? Or hope?"
B: "What about double wages?"
W: *facepalm*

Europe, July 19th 1298 (the weekend-issue of all major newspapers)

c5486-02a.jpg

"Middle-sized family enterprise searching for qualified staff in potent age for recovery after slight economic embarrassments. We are looking for

Chancellors
Marshals
Diocese Bishops
Toadies

Professional experience welcome. Catholic confession a must. Child-oriented applicants with liberal views on reputation and ethics will be favoured. Large salary (plus charges) guaranteed. Send applications to: Duchy of Gelre, Sticht, Main Castle 1, PO Box 666."

Sticht, September 3rd 1298

W: "So, any applicants?"
B: "Quite a few."
W: "Super. I`m gone."
B: "Gone? What are you going to do?"
W: "Find a wife. Repopulate the child`s rooms. Liberate Jerusalem. In this order. See ya."

(Will Willem [the Duke, not the Architect] get his realm back on track? Or is his crusade to the holy land just a precaution to be abroad if everything blows up? Find out in the next chapter.)

Last edited:
Nothing interesting happened during Amadeus' reign? Kinslayer???

Anyway, looking forward to Willem the Getaway as ruler. If he does get to Jerusalem, let's hope he doesn't 'getaway' before the Christian victory is secured.

Nothing interesting happened during Amadeus' reign? Kinslayer???

Interestingly enough: No.

You know, the king takes your whole army with him and suddenly there`s nothing to do. I mean, let`s face it. The 13th century is a boring time to be in. What`s left to do, when one hasn`t the opportunity to burn down a few villages?

Correct, you start to bully the pope. The problem is, it`s some kind of an extreme sport, since you`re faster getting excommunicated / declared heretic as one can say "Agnostic".

And suddenly you realize, that your first son, this dumb brat, follows your example and chooses his favorite heresy to believe in, so your realm faces a few decades of being the paria state of the medieval. Unless...

Really. Come on. It`s the 13th century, remember? And it could have been an accident. Just because the people say, that he didn`t fell into his own sword (18 times), it doesn`t mean, it was murder.

Sticht, March 17th 1316

Duke Willem van Braunschweig (known as Willem the Wise by now, although a lot of people call him Willem the Just, but his current nick succeeded in a tight public poll) holds a conference with Chancellor Elisabeth and Steward Irina.

W: "Okay, ladies, we`ve spent time and money to transform the shithole I inherited into a powerhouse. How are things going? Is the populace content?"
E: "Take a look out of the window, sir."

oranje.jpg

W: "Looks good. And the peasants?"
E: "Are happy again, sir."
W: "They better should. I mean, we gave them minimum wages, old-age insurance, annual leaves and sick payment. By the way, how`s the treasury, Steward?"
I: "Stewardess."
W: "Pardon?"
I: "It is Stewardess now, since I`m obviously not male. Never heard about gender mainstreaming, huh?"
W: "Gender..."
I: "...Mainstreaming. Better read the Pact for Gender Equality passed by the home affairs committee." *hands him a pile of paper*
W: *looks confused* "Okay...well...but back to the treasury."
I: "Our treasury is fine. There is a lot of money for other projects."
E: "Like a Crusade."

W: "YES! I nearly forgot. It`s crusading time. Finally a manly sport. Jerusalem, here I come."
E: "Maybe you should attack Orleans instead."
W: "What for?"
E: "Because half of France was conquered by the Emirate of Badajoz."
W: "This joke of a king is really unbearable. How come, he is unable to defend himself?"
E: "Because you refused to mobilize your troops and defected to Germany before it became serious?"
W: "Okay, that might be a...HEY...just what are you insinuating? That I was chicken?"
E: *whispers* "Of course."
E: "I said: Of course not, sir."
W: *looks suspicious* "Alright, it`s Jerusalem then."

Suddenly Irmeltrud, his grandniece, and her brother Almos enter the room.

Ir: "Greatuncle?"
W: "Hey, Trudi, how are you?"
Ir: "Do you really want to conquer Jerusalem?"
W: "Yes, darling, shall I bring you a souvenir?"
Ir: "No. You shouldn`t do it in the first place. It is wrong to threaten our fellow believers."
W: "Ehm, we`re talking about which belief right now?"
Ir: "Aschhadu an la ilaha illa llahu, wa aschhadu, anna Muhammadan rasulu llahi"
Ir: "It means: There is no god but God and Muhammad is the prophet of God. It`s my confession of faith, since I`m Sunni now."
W: "What?!"
A: "Me too."
W: "WHAT?! GUARDS!"
G: "Sir?"
W: "Call for their mother. NOW!"

A few minutes later, Gisela appears on the scene.

W: *nervous* "Let me recap. I took up the cross. The pope awaits my crusade. Outside this castle gather 15.000 men and I`ve got two muslims in my family!?"
Gi: "I`m just parenting them in a non-denominational way."
W: "You do what?"
Gi: "Yes, I encourage self-confidence and independence by not preferring a certain belief and letting them make their own decisions."
W: "But this is Gelre. We`re all Christians! By Gods darn son."
Ir: "Greatuncle! God has no son. Otherwise there would be two gods."
A: "So your speech is heretical."
Gi: "And you`re oppressing their believes."
W: "QUIET! ALL OF YOU!...I...I...oh god...my...heart..." *falls down*

Gi: "Uncle? UNCLE? Jesus Christ!"
Ir: "But mom...
Gi: *slaps her*

(Will Willem convalesce? Will Gelre become a stronghold of religious liberty? Will heart attacks finally be recognized as occupational illness? Find out in the next chapter.)

Last edited:
Impressive stuff, I think a mini-crusade in and around Gelre is called for before the Holy Lands of...uhm...Orleans are freed once more!

Serves them right for being Frisian... ;)

Sticht, March 19th 1356 (shortly after the Hainaut-Campaign)

Noon

Duke Knud van Braunschweig (whom was granted the nickname Knud the Pure by the Pope himself due to his christian behavior during the looting in Brabant, where he spared the women and children. Well at least the good-looking women. Maybe the Pope should have checked twice) rushes to his private chamber to see his wife Adelheid.

K: "Hey, Darling, I`m home."
A: "Nice to see you. How was your trip?"
K: "Ah, always the same. Burning, looting, conquering. Nothing worth reporting. What are you doing?"
A: "I`m reading a novel."
K: "Aha, what`s it about?"
A: "It`s called `Anticipated Knights`. It`s about a fair lady and two knights who fell in love with her. But due to sudden and unfortunate conditions they can`t court her. Nevertheless they yearn for her and begin to hate each other. At the end they finally have the chance to marry her but they have to fight each other for that privilege and..."
K: "Blecch. Two stupid weirdos killing each other over a babe they never spoke to? Give me a break."
A: "You`re such a nonsensitive klutz." *stands up and leaves the room*
K: "Hey, it`s the medieval, you know?"

Afternoon

Knud takes a walk through the castle, as he meets his relative Jaromar, who`s pretty upset.

K: "Jaromar, what`s wrong?"
J: "Good to see you, my liege. During your absence a new trend came up: Schmaltzy love-stories. The women love it. But do you know, what books cost these days? And my dear wife wants another 100 bucks for more of this insufferable kitsch. But now she crossed the line. Guess, I`ll have a little talk with her."
K: "Go for it, Jaro. After all, we`re the kings of the castle."

Evening

It`s dark already, as Knud walks through the great hall and notices Mathias lying tucked up on a table.

K: "Say, Matze, what exactly are you doing here?"
M: "I`m trying to sleep, Mylord."
K: "I see that, Weisenheimer! Obviously my question boiled down to the point, why you are sleeping here instead of in your bed."
M: "Well...uhm..."
K: "I`m waiting!"
M: "See, my wife reads a lot these days. And when I denied to buy more books she kicked me out of the room and said, as far as she is concerned, I can sleep where ever I want, but not in her bed."
K: *laughs* "Boy, you`re really screwed."

Jaromar appears on the scene.

K: "Good evening, Jaro. Mathias here has the same problem like you. Go and tell him how to handle it."
J: "Yes, my liege...I mean...is there some room left on the table?"
K: *facepalm*

Next morning

Knud awakes and gets closer to his wife.

K: "Are you awake, sweetheart?"
A: "Aye."
K: "What about another heir, mylady?" *smiles*
A: "Nay, not today."
K: "Come on, just a few minutes."
A: "No, I don`t feel well."
K: "What`s up? I`m back home and need some entertainment."
A: "Maybe you should read more. Would you like to have a novel?"
K: "Now I`m feeling not well."

Noon, consultation-hour in the throne room

Diocese Bishop Valdemar appears and looks a bit depressed.

K: "Ah, Valdemar. Come closer. What`s on your mind?"
V: "Do you remember the monasterial library?"
K: "Of course...wait...why `remember`?"
V: "See, when you were gone, your wife visited it and decided, that there had to be some definite changes to be made."
K: "Changes? Like what?"
V: "She meant, that the boring stuff like `De civitate dei` and all the bible commentaries should be trashed and replaced by more popular literature. Next she declared the whole institution to be a public library."
K: "That`s horrible!"
V: "Indeed, Mylord. But on the other hand, we`re now the library with the most extensive collection of chivalric novels in western Europe. Including a signed first print of `Anticipated Knights`." *smiles*
K: *facepalm*

(Will Gelre become the prime pilgrimage site for medieval Danielle-Steel-fans? Will Knud hold a big book-BBQ? Find out in the next chapter.)

Last edited:
SIDE NOTE

Roughly around 1340 - 1360 the plague came to Gelre. I expected to see a clear decline in population density at my court. But considering the actual death toll one could say, that the plague is the swine flu among the epidemics.

SIDE NOTE

Roughly around 1340 - 1360 the plague came to Gelre. I expected to see a clear decline in population density at my court. But considering the actual death toll one could say, that the plague is the swine flu among the epidemics.

I noticed it more amongst the size of my regiments ... and a slow drip of people from the court dieing off, but agree its more an annoyance than devastating

Very nice update, now I'm off to eBay, I hope that signed first edition of 'Anticipated Knights' is on there...