Am I the one who does not like to see knights killing tons of men?

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
It's an abstraction the same way cities having like 4 buildings total is an abstraction. We needn't be so literal about it -- knights just represent the elite of a medieval army.

• 8Like
Reactions:
Don't feel particularly offended by the notion of them acting as military cyborgs a la Terminator in the middle of the stone age. It's a game mechanic that provides incentive for the martial education beyond strategy while also not making them indestructible *stares at all the threads regarding their fragility*

I'm grateful for the chance of vassals to be an active party in a military campaign in their liege's war without pesky reality checks like digging letrines everytime i move from county to county.
My only concern is that we, the players, can't be knights at the moment due to what's apparently an unresolved bug.

• 3Like
Reactions:
And the elite of a medieval army would make a huge huge difference.
We can see for example the battle below that was one basically because of one unit like that.

This battle shows pretty well what a batallion of armored elite knights could do. Even with a fortification against them.

1122AD, battle of Beroia. (Byzantines vs Pecheneg horde).

Reactions:
Knights are more like captains than they are individual warriors. and even if they are just an individual solder there presence would be felt on the battlefield inspiring solders and training levies before the battle. it is a good mechanic that just needs refining. Levies represent the bare minimum force - a man with maybe a gambison, a wooden shield and a spear or club. at scale a force of 100 well trained knights would route a force of 200 levies maybe even 500 or 1000 or more. Also Armor in this era was absolutely fantastic and should not be underestimated. Armor would not be reliably defeated until musket (some may argue the steel crossbow). Basically a knight is a guy equipped with the best armor of the era, with the best weapons. if he is deployed in a proper formation he is basically un-killable till he tires or the formation breaks.

8 Knights getting hundreds of kills per battle seems not appealing to me, especially not for a game which is not supposed to be a fantasy. Am I the only one who dislikes how effective knights are.

I consider each Knight a sort of abstraction of a group of soldiers who are bonded together. So it's actually in my mind the one guy leading a group.

• 1Like
Reactions:
its not absurd to think of a knight retinue. While the game is not direct talk about them it would make no sense to gnore this reality.

Full armor is impossible to use on your own. You do need squires and people to take care of all that stuff. Armor, oil, taking care of the horse, making food, etc.
And they would also help the knight and where the people he could trust above any other to deliver message, give orders, etc.

So a single knight is usually 2 to 10 people plus a horse or two. As more people you bring more food/stuff you need.

if you get your king to go to battle you can be sure he can have up to 100 persons tending to him, his armor, weapons, tent, horses, etc.
Keeping his status, even during a march or battle was kind of necessary to keep all the myth about him being above the others.

Last edited:
Reactions:
Nowhere does it suggest knights are an abstraction. Game's very specific in the amount of soldiers and type of soldiers everyone's bringing in, it would be wildly out of place to suddenly switch to abstract numbers.

You guys are just making excuses rather than accepting they're by design meant to be unrealistic heroes. It's either good game design or it's not.

Edit: Also, after you've done smashing the red button, please explain to me IN WORDS why I'm wrong.

You are not wrong. However, the knights system is definitely an abstraction even though it is not expressed as such. Almost everything in the game is an abstraction without specifying saying that it is.

Maybe it would be better if they added some flavor that alluded that these knights/heroes are going to battle along with their personal retinue, or something like that. It would make more sense. Some of the kill numbers definitely are unrealistic for one individual.

Reactions:
Another nonissue. Also, i see some people are being very... selective in their notions of realism:

Knights killing 30-50 people: "PREPOSTEROUS, the game is not straight up saying that knights had the personal retinue they always had in history!*"

Battle take 30 days instead of few hours: crickets

*Not to mention the game also do not suggest much many other things. How you people even wandered to play such abstract game in the first place, tsk tsk. Now you can mash the red button all you want, but this does not change the fact you are cherrypicking and making shitstorm to nerf something just for the sake of nerf.

Reactions: