All my opponents started in the Undergound

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Orphalesion

Lt. General
45 Badges
Dec 13, 2017
  • Shadowrun: Dragonfall
  • Age of Wonders
  • Age of Wonders II
  • Cities: Skylines - Green Cities
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Surviving Mars: Digital Deluxe Edition
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Shadowrun Returns
  • Age of Wonders: Shadow Magic
  • Surviving Mars: First Colony Edition
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Surviving Mars: First Colony Edition
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Stellaris: Lithoids
  • Stellaris: Federations
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Crusader Kings III: Royal Edition
  • Stellaris: Necroids
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Stellaris
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Cities: Skylines - Natural Disasters
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Surviving Mars
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Shadowrun: Hong Kong
Okay, so earlier today I started a game to finally try out how that World Seals victory works. I set up a relatively small game (3 opponents) and I actually selected Small Underground as one of the Realm Traits.

Then I started the game and as I often do I set out Scouts to the four corners of the map to what and whom I find. And they travelled turn after turn, and all they found was pristine, uninhabited wilderness...As I got close to exploring the whole map I started to wonder how many of the opponents would spawn in the Underground.

And well...all three Factions I ended up running into are factions with Underground Adaptation. Every single one, and they only came above ground pretty late.

Is this normal? I thought the number of Underground factions for most maps was set at about 1/3 of all factions?

Okay, so earlier today I started a game to finally try out how that World Seals victory works. I set up a relatively small game (3 opponents) and I actually selected Small Underground as one of the Realm Traits.

Then I started the game and as I often do I set out Scouts to the four corners of the map to what and whom I find. And they travelled turn after turn, and all they found was pristine, uninhabited wilderness...As I got close to exploring the whole map I started to wonder how many of the opponents would spawn in the Underground.

And well...all three Factions I ended up running into are factions with Underground Adaptation. Every single one, and they only came above ground pretty late.

Is this normal? I thought the number of Underground factions for most maps was set at about 1/3 of all factions?

Underground start perhaps?

Attachments

• 20240510204035_1.jpg
    20240510204035_1.jpg
    331,7 KB · Views: 0
Underground start perhaps?

Good idea, but can't be, since I still started above ground. I literally had the whole obove-ground map to myself. I ended up deleting the game since it was too easy (just put a scout on each entrance to the underworld and the opponents are trapped in their small underground pockets)

I guess it was just a really weird coincidence?

I wouldn't say it's normal since you're the only person here whose ever reported it. I think some have noticed before that it can half of opponents, but not all.

Last edited:
Sounds like a matter of chance to me.

If one out of three factions is underground on average, then 1/3*1/3*1/3=1/27 games with 3 opponents all three of them start underground.

Also, if the game becomes too easy if you just put scouts on the underground passages... you could just play with the house rule that you don't use said somewhat exploit-y strategy.

Reactions:
Sounds like a matter of chance to me.

If one out of three factions is underground on average, then 1/3*1/3*1/3=1/27 games with 3 opponents all three of them start underground.

Also, if the game becomes too easy if you just put scouts on the underground passages... you could just play with the house rule that you don't use said somewhat exploit-y strategy.

So it was just a really rare random occurrence? Cool.

And yes, I know, I should have done that. But the temptation was always there and the very knowledge that I can bottle all my opponents with just a handful of scouts already ruined the fun for me.
I really wish they'd bring back the feature from the older games where armies on different levels of the Underground entrance could fight each other. That would remove this exploit and my subterranean opponents could have fought their way to freedom.

I think they can... can't they? Just doesn't pull in any other armies I think. Also might be the AI doesn't know about it :p
It definitely can, I've had it do that. Perhaps they can't declare war without units in the same layer? Like they need to have something within X tiles of something of yours, but different layers don't count?

• 1Like
Reactions:
It definitely can, I've had it do that. Perhaps they can't declare war without units in the same layer? Like they need to have something within X tiles of something of yours, but different layers don't count?

That could be it. Hmmm I should have waited until that Dwarf got angry enough at me for building a city near his cave entrance.

I have seen the same thing recently.

First game after Primal Fury had all 6 of the random AIs start in the underground, with being the only aboveground start and no setting to make them.
The second game after had only 1 of 3 AIs start underground, so probalby normal RNG.

• 1Like
Reactions: