• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Oh, come on! You can't end the chapter like that! :D

Another part full of very interesting and entertaining developments. As ever, it's seems luck has been mixed for the Hafsids – plenty of turmoil to go along with the smoother periods of expansion and conquest. All of this expansion into Egypt and India seems promising, though hubris has gotten the better of the Sultans before. I only hope you can hold out until the imminent end of the game. It would be nice to go out on a high, after all.

Oh, come on! You can't end the chapter like that! :D

Another part full of very interesting and entertaining developments. As ever, it's seems luck has been mixed for the Hafsids – plenty of turmoil to go along with the smoother periods of expansion and conquest. All of this expansion into Egypt and India seems promising, though hubris has gotten the better of the Sultans before. I only hope you can hold out until the imminent end of the game. It would be nice to go out on a high, after all.

Except for the cliff-hanger, I have reasons for ending it there.. ;)

The funny thing is, with this game, with the conversion to Nestorianism, the late game got a new breath and so many options are possible! Thanks for hanging about, I thought I'd given the readers a headache with my attempt to sumarize as much as possible the reign of two rulers into one subject! Towards the end, I will post a map of the world as it is near the end, cultures, dynasties..if anyone has a special request, let me know :)

The ring of the demon worshippers in the hands of a mystic, one of said worshippers as general and the loss of St.Thomas arm... Is it really his dream the Hafsids are following? Fighting Christians, too? At least, Islam is collapsing into a Sunni-Ibadi rivalry. One wonders what the messenger carries...

EDIT: For a special request, I'd like to know how long the pagans lasted. Vikings are sometimes a never-ending plague, and they love to target Italy. Which faith had the most luck with missionary activities? Especially since Orthodoxy died soon, the Russians didn't have their conversion bonus, it would be nice to know if they chose Catholicism, Ibadiism or if they were still Slavs.

The ring of the demon worshippers in the hands of a mystic, one of said worshippers as general and the loss of St.Thomas arm... Is it really his dream the Hafsids are following? Fighting Christians, too? At least, Islam is collapsing into a Sunni-Ibadi rivalry. One wonders what the messenger carries...

EDIT: For a special request, I'd like to know how long the pagans lasted. Vikings are sometimes a never-ending plague, and they love to target Italy. Which faith had the most luck with missionary activities? Especially since Orthodoxy died soon, the Russians didn't have their conversion bonus, it would be nice to know if they chose Catholicism, Ibadiism or if they were still Slavs.

Muzaffar is a zealot, he fights for the Nestorian faith without question however his mystic background does not forbid him to look to other means as well to promote his faith...now, the line does get blurred because gradually the ring steers him to other paths as well, such as meeting with Boutros who is Messalian and hears the Voice (of Jesus? ) ( and had that unbelievable 41 martial skill..)

From my mind, all the pagans, except the Tengri are there. The Slavs have reformed and founded their Warriors, there are some Norsemen as well and I am not sure about the Romuva.. As of the Tengri, the Ilkhanate with Sunnism and the Hafsids when they were Caliphs with Ibadism, it has been extinguished at most..

I will be post at the ending chapter a more thorough report, it is quite an interesting ahistorical world on some parts!

Chapter 13: Armageddon

The messenger ran at full speed, with a scroll on his hand

“For the Sultan! For the Sultan!”

Sultan Muzaffar looked at the parchment with an inquisitive look. It was sealed with the seal of the Caliph…now that was interesting…

He broke it and read the letter word to word… his face darkened and then he muttered some angry words

“To the Deplorable Nestorian Sultan of Syria, of Arabia and other places,

For decades the Ibadi had shown great patience with your dynasty branch. At first, you were lost sheep who broke away from the Caliphate, striving to find your place in your world. But then you did the unthinkable by converting to Nestorianism when you knew the full wealth you would receive in Paradise from Allah. Now, not only the Gates have been sealed but father to child, mother to daughter, all your kin are destined for Jahannam, voluntarily or not.

Your kin branch in Italya has been the only thing that kept for so long the explosion of the wrath of the Ibadi upon you. But now, no word can explain anything.

You in particular, you have persecuted Muslims and Christians alike and here in the Caliphate we are beginning to agree that you are something more than a disillusioned fighter but rather a force of evil, which should be extinguished from the world. You have defiled Medina and Mecca and you shall pay!

I call a Jihad against you, Devil Worshiper, that we may erase any existing memory of your foul deeds. Be prepared!”

chapter13_armageddon1.jpg

“A jihad…for Arabia…”

The war council stood silent and pondered

“The Muslim World shall be upon us like locusts! How on Earth can we defend against this onslaught?”

Muzaffar rubbed his ring and stood silent. He then spoke

“With God”

So thus began the Jihad of Arabia, the Struggle of Worlds in the End of the Medieval Times. The Ibadi to save the morality of their faith and take back an ancient heirloom and the Nestorians to preserve what was theirs from time immemorial. It was a conflict in parallel with the Apocalypse. Who though could claim the role of the Good or the Evil powers? To each part’s eyes they were the instruments of their God. The final judge would be the sword.

War preparations begun and the Hafsid Nestorian domain began supplying for sieges that would last for a long time. Swords were sharpened, spears ready and the camel warriors armed to fight in the desert dunes of Syria and Arabia.
The Muslims would come in waves as each and every Sheikh, Emir, Sultan and the Caliph rode to liberate Arabia and restore the sacred sites of the Ibadi.

The Nestorians on their part also bought paid swords and military minds to aid them in their war. Russian Slavs, Bulgarian Bogomilists and other faiths enlisted themselves for the Hafsid gold.

The first battle was held at Pella, in Irbid

chapter13_armageddon2.jpg

There were often skirmishes and minor battles, since the Muslims did not come in full force but rather with each Mujahideen leader.

On 7 May 1433, in the county of Safed, two forces set camp and monitored their movements. With scouts to and from, it was revealed that the army the Nestorian Syrians would face would be none other than the Hafsid Ibadi of Italya. They too had come to fight in this war, against them.

For ages, the blood ties were not easily maintained due to religion differences. However, on the eve of battle, the two armies met together, exchanged stories of the homeland and common roots, to cut them down the next day and fight to the end. Hafsid kinsman fought kinsman , with religion to separate them.

chapter13_armageddon4.jpg

Meanwhile, in the hills of Kirkuk, the order of St. Addai gave an unequal battle with the Muslims. They fortified themselves in the mountains, poised to make their last stand and reach sainthood by becoming martyrs.

chapter13_armageddon6.jpg

But what added more to the apocalyptic scene was the fact that few of the Mujaheeden actually set course for Arabia: rather they set their eyes upon wealthy Baghdad which had split from Syria some decades ago.

chapter13_armageddon7.jpg

The besieged waited for help to come from their Nestorian Syrian brothers, as such a force could not be fought by none other than the Nestorian Hafsids.

The voices were mixed in the council: some suggested to let Baghdad fall, as a lesson for their treachery, others proposed the Christian example to aid them despite their differences.

Sultan Muzaffar considered that when Baghdad would fall completely, that army would be upon them and combined with the Caliphate armies, the Syrians may meet their doom at that moment. So he took the decision to march to this ancient city, a holy place for the Nestorians as well

chapter13_armageddon8.jpg

At Hillah all was decided, Muzaffar along with allies from the broken Emirates, fought the Muslims and cornered between the besieged and the relief force, the majority of the besiegers perished.

However, just as the Jihad was showing to turn to the Nestorian favor, the unthinkable happened: Sultan Muzaffar passed to God and left in charge his young son, Nestorian to fend off the Muslims.

chapter13_armageddon9.jpg

As we recalled from the previous chapter, Nestorian was considered a Brilliant Strategist(at least in paper) and was taught by Boutros ibn Tawfiq, the man who was claimed to hear Jesus Himself.

When hearing of the news Nestorian rode to the Damascene palace to ascend to his new role. As time passed, he became more and more ready for the task, eager to show his skills to his vassals and bring a new breath to the Hafsids.

He saw his father as he was being prepared for his final resting place, with much prestige and care as befitting a man who fought to spread Christianity to India and elsewhere. As he looked upon the soulless body of his father, he saw the Ring upon his finger. It glittered and sparked and as weird as it sounded, no one could remove it , which made it all the more peculiar and spooky if one considered there was a visible pentacle upon it.

But not with Nestorian. The Ring was loose with ease and Nestorian promptly wore it.

“Rest well Father. For my work now begins…”

Some saw Nestorian and talked in suspicion between themselves, as they were curious of what all these meant.

The day of the funeral came and after the solemn procession, it came the time for Nestorian to speak, as the new Sultan. The speech was long and well put, however the speech took a different turn…

“…..We are here to honor a great Sultan. A Sultan who fought for his ideals and to spread them to the edges of the very world! With him, the Hafsid became even more proud for their achievements! We begun from the isle of Crete and now stretch to the known world, from Sheikhs to Emirs and Sultans, of all faiths!

Sultan Muzaffar, my father, left us on the most dire edge: a Jihad is upon us with the war so far in our favor. The Muslim waves splash against the Rock which is us and we endure! And now I promise you even greater achievements but I ask of you in return of one thing, something that will bring salvation to us all from the danger of the Jihad!”

The people listened

“…. You have often wondered what this ring was. You have often considered the role of Boutros, the marshal general who heard Jesus himself.

As Ashraf my distant ancestor did before, so I too have to reveal to you a secret. Muzaffar was the first Perfectus, the one to achieve the perfect state of mind through intense prayer and with Boutros, they perceived the Divine Nature of Christ through prayer. Although he would not admit it, he was a Messalian in nature as am I, in nature and open belief…”

The crowd looked dumbstruck at Nestorian. Did he just profess heresy in front of his father’s funeral and claimed that his late father was also a heretic?

The Patriarchs rubbed their beards and the gathered Vassal Lords looked each other. The Hafsids had done it again…

“ Sultan Nestorian...surely you jest…Messalians are…they believe… Lucifer is the Elder Son of God, in total contrast with our teaching that Jesus is the only Son of God..I cannot believe…”

Nestorian cut him

“ I do not expect everyone to believe at this instant… even the turn to Nestorianism took its time when Ibadism was rooted for so many centuries. However do consider this, if we are united, it will be for the better of the realm and Messalianism offers us the Way to become more close to God…”

The priests began to protest

“ How can…how can we hear this heresy?! Should Church hierarchy be abolished…?”

The crowd was beginning to become restless. Mutterings began to be heard. And this time there was no Patriarch of the East to save the Hafsids.

“Listen to me! All I ask of you is to unite our forces against this threat, and then we can consider on which common ground we can stand! I promise you though that this New Age shall usher the realm into greatness and a new Golden Age!”

“..for if you do not…I shall invoke the laws of Syria and each and every one of you will be replaced!”

That was the final straw! Some stopped talking while others became agitated and pushed the guards to pass into the palace. The guards pushed the revolutionaries back, when Nestorian thought of a ruse…

…he paid a servant of the palace to go out in the crowd, mingle with them and start to shout.

“God help us! The Muslims! They are heading towards Damascus and we are overrun!!”

Panic ensured and the people from attackers became the defenders and routed for their homes. Nestorian took the opportunity and barred the palace entrance. In a few days, martial law was instilled and there was a restriction of free movement, as measures against the attacking Muslims.

In the meantime, Nestorian send letters to his vassals to repent and convert, invoking their oath of allegiance , as well as promising honorary titles and gold.

Some, like the Patriarch of Constantinople, agreed , so long as his privileges were not harmed. In fact some liked this new change of religion a lot, as it allowed them to retract land previously inaccessible to them due to the law.

chapter13_armageddon10.jpg

However there were others who would not budge away from their faith

chapter13_armageddon11.jpg

In the meantime, the Muslim waves grew more and more stronger and again, this time out of decision, the Order of St. Addai was left on its own to defend themselves, having heard only rumors of the religious coup d’ etat by Nestorian(the irony of the name).

With time, Nestorian mustered a force to deal with the Jihad and prayed(as it was proper of Messalians) to win the fight.

chapter13_armageddon12.jpg

chapter13_armageddon13.jpg

chapter13_armageddon14.jpg

chapter13_armageddon15.jpg

The Jihad was over. The Muslims retreated and the Syrian Hafsids were victorious. But the triumph, as large it was, left an empty spot in the soul of the populous. The danger was now gone, did they now have to put with this new religion idea imposed to them by the new Sultan?

In paradox, the gregarious nature of Sultan Nestorian had convinced almost all the priests who held the former holy sites of Nestorianism, to adopt the new faith and teach the people the importance of prayer and the quest to sense God and the Divine with their senses, just as Boutros once heard Lord Jesus.

When the war was over, Nestorian decided to go on a pilgrimage to Antioch, to speak with the people and strengthen the new faith. As a pilgrim he heard a lot of things, rumors, half true, half false

“Have you heard? Sultan Nestorian is rumored to have wed a long time his sister, even when Muzaffar was alive…what on Earth are they thinking…”

“I heard the Westerners do it as well! The royalty wed amongst themselves, to keep the lands united and not split…”

“Hm, might explain it then! But his own sister…”

chapter13_armageddon16.jpg

The pilgrimage to Antioch was enlightening. However, Nestorian, as to imitate pilgrim life, slept in unsheltered areas and strove for humility, perhaps in an attempt to become a Perfectus himself.

chapter13_armageddon17.jpg

He became Pneumonic and his health gradually failed. Bad tongues talked it was a punishment by God.

chapter13_armageddon19.jpg

A month later, Sultan Nestorian, the one who repelled the Jihad for Arabia and the one who confirmed the suspicion of the people towards the ruling Hafsids, he passed away at age 50, leaving his son Muzaffar II at a razor’s edge. Rumors of conspiracy abounded and the people were wary of this new Hafsid change, pressed upon them. Would the world once again tolerate the new innovations or would the powers of tradition overvoice them and restore the century ago Nestorian stability?

Another conversion! Messalianism is a nice religion to end the Hafsid tale in this twisted world. The Jihad helped to make the conversion smooth, even if it was hard to defend. Thankfully for the Hafsid treasury, an age is going to end... down to 1300.

I hope there's one or two surprises left for the last chapter. And I am eager to have a look on the world!

Oh the irony! Sultan Nestorian "the Messalian" of Syria converting away from his namesake religion.

Another conversion! Messalianism is a nice religion to end the Hafsid tale in this twisted world. The Jihad helped to make the conversion smooth, even if it was hard to defend. Thankfully for the Hafsid treasury, an age is going to end... down to 1300.

I hope there's one or two surprises left for the last chapter. And I am eager to have a look on the world!

The treasury vanished, thanks to the elite retinue fat checks :D

The kingdoms generate about 65 gold per month but there were a lot of expenses..

And dont worry the tale will end in a most Hafsid-by this AAR's standards way ;)

Oh the irony! Sultan Nestorian "the Messalian" of Syria converting away from his namesake religion.

It is indeed! When Nestorian was named as such, there was no plan with the intent to split from the religion... but when by chance I saw Boutros with 41 martial skills and hearing the Voice of Jesus, as a Messalian, who could resist that person for a teacher..

It certainly seems as though the Hafsids change religions the way some men change pants :p

That said, having finally caught back up to this AAR just before the end, I'm excited to see how everything is going to conclude.

Nestorian did a very good job of not living up to his name. Frankly, it's probably for the best that his reign ended up so brief. God knows what hell he would have unleashed stability-wise had he not be struck down by pneumonia. I do wonder how Muzaffar will pick up the pieces in this regard: will he ride out the last few years of the game in a libertine manner, or will he attempt to wrest the situation away from the Messalians?

I for one am very much looking forward to finding out.

It certainly seems as though the Hafsids change religions the way some men change pants :p

That said, having finally caught back up to this AAR just before the end, I'm excited to see how everything is going to conclude.

:D

Well, at first the change to Ibadi was for opportunistic reasons: the discontent with the actions of the then Sunni Caliph, lead to the refoundation of the Ibadi and then their worldwide installment. Later on, with Ashraf, the damnation of his way of lifestyle ushered him to seek refugee in Christianity and the understanding nature of the then Patriarch of the East(who was more than glad to have a larger flock of followers than a handful). Finally with Nestorian, who was brought up with the teachings of Boutros who head the Voice (of whom we are not certain), Messalianism sprang up and fought violently to step upon the Nestorian foundations and replace them. Indeed, quite a religious upheaval!

I've written a most fitting for the Hafsids, of this AAR, ending, I hope you like it!

Nestorian did a very good job of not living up to his name. Frankly, it's probably for the best that his reign ended up so brief. God knows what hell he would have unleashed stability-wise had he not be struck down by pneumonia. I do wonder how Muzaffar will pick up the pieces in this regard: will he ride out the last few years of the game in a libertine manner, or will he attempt to wrest the situation away from the Messalians?

I for one am very much looking forward to finding out.

I won't delay any longer and present the Epilogue of this AAR- the last 10 years of the game!

Epilogue: The Messalian Light Bringers – The Preparation for the End of the World

(or what could possibly happen in 10 years before the end of the game?)

It is the year 1441. The World as it has been shaped is a mixture of religions, cultures and oddities.

epilogue-1.jpg

In the Mediterranean Basin, the African Nestorian Hafsids hold and together with the Catholics, they have banded to oust the Ibadi Muslims from Spain. The West Africans too had their chance and moved upwards in an attempt to communicate further with the World, but their progress stopped. Miaphysitism is prevalent amongst Egypt, Nubia and Abbysinia.

epilogue-2.jpg

In the North European part of the map, the Catholics kept their faith strong. Italy had long fallen to the Ibadi and any local culture and religion had been lost forever. The Russians remained Slavic and with time, they reformed their faith in defense. Germanics too held their traditions.

epilogue-3.jpg

The Middle East is battling between the Nestorian faithful and the Messalians, who gained prominence with Sultan Nestorian’s mainly contribution. The Mongol Sunni rule over old Persia, removing the traces of the Ibadi faith.

The mosaic of the cultures are varied as well: there are English, French, Germans , Croatians far away from their homeland and so many more.

epilogue-4.jpg

epilogue-6.jpg

However with the emergence of Messalianism, rumors spread like wildfire that the true Apocalypse would be near: that the Jihad for Arabia was a sign of the times and sooner or later what was written will happen and at the 1st of January 1453, the world would not be the same…

Let us see what Muzaffar the II thought about all these events…

epilogue-7.jpg

2 October 1441

Almost a year had passed since my father had died… I lacked the will to do anything and preferred to sleep in my palace and spend time with my wife- by divine marriage as it was called.

epilogue-8.jpg

Yet what I felt for her was platonic purely. One day I wished to had children…but I tried to find another way. I could not for whatever reason bring myself to see her otherwise…

From all this family tree, my father Nestorian elected to make this “divine” marriage…

epilogue-9.jpg

However, to entertain my sorrow, and as the Ring Bearer, I was also the Head of the Order of the Bringers of Light in the Hafsid Domain. In secret, ritualistic meetings, I had met under disguise with other prominent members of the nobility and it had been estimated that the Apocalypse would happen in the 1st of January of 1453. Whatever was revealed in the Christian books would happen and that we had to prepare for the Great Fight that would commence: the Jihad for Arabia was only a testing of the waters.

My more zealous brothers in faith had gone about to convert as many as possible to this new “illuminating” religion: to keep though appearance, I did not criticize anything publicly but rather kept to my thoughts. The conversion had been going well and the Nestorians dwindled as days passed.

But then the impeding Apocalypse was their immediate concern. Although I would rather sleep, I was pestered by all to keep up with my status as Perfectus, the one who had perceived the Divine with the carnal senses and who is above law, human or moral in his actions… This I liked from my father’s religion.

So therefore, my advisors consulted me, there was only one way to prepare fully for the imminent change in the World: I should become the King of Jerusalem and when the time came, I would hand it over to the Divine or keep it myself, whatever I should choose.

epilogue-10.jpg

I called upon Holy War to the Caliph, to extract revenge for daring to call a Jihad upon the Hafsids.

Of course, what he could possibly present against us, when his own forces were shattered?

epilogue-11.jpg

epilogue-12.jpg

epilogue-13.jpg

And so Galilee, the place where the Younger Son taught, was Hafsid once more.

In the meantime, some peasants of minor importance rebelled, which were dealt with no much trouble later on.

Of course, petty concepts as truces and such could not touch a Perfectus: so I called upon the Caliph to stand up and defend Ascalon, for the Kingdom of Heaven on Earth would be Mine.

epilogue-14.jpg

epilogue-15.jpg

Thankfully my marshals fought most of my battles, though I had my chance to participate and enjoy the wilderness, it took time from the pressure to produce an heir..

epilogue-16.jpg

After all these wars and since I held Jerusalem Proper from ages ago, I crowned myself the Sultan of Heaven on Earth, for that was my role in the order of things. And just as I thought my advisors would not bother me anymore and let me live those few remaining years in peace, they nagged for me to do more: that I should summon my people at the Mount Aqraa and proclaim above all that , as Perfectus and Hafsid, I would name myself the Emperor-Badshah of Heaven upon Earth, the one to bring Light to all those who would be saved

I complied…I would rather not mess with the Messalian fanatics

epilogue-17.jpg

epilogue-18.jpg

Yet the day of the coronation as Master of Heaven on Earth, a most disturbing event took place. A madman, a pre- Messalian fanatic, when everyone was assembled at Mount Aqraa, he started rambling and shouting that I would meet the fate of my master- the Morning Dawn- as Isaiah had predicted ages ago. Of course my guards took care of him, it seems whatever I did, I wouldn’t find my peace…

And this was the Empire of the Hafsid, the Realm of Light

epilogue-19.jpg

But then…I..I was no more. I did not have the opportunity to witness the end of the world and if truly what was prophesized would happen.

epilogue-20.jpg

Majid,a kinsman of mine and former Emir of the Aegean Islands took the throne of the Hafsid Empire: He who would give the Realm of the Earth to the Divine.
But…he too, 10 days after he ascended…came by my side and observed the Earth, awaiting the events to transpire at the end of the world.

epilogue-23.jpg

Abdul- Azeem now was the Hafsid caretaker. His personality, a zealous , ambitious man would signal the coming of the true Apocalypse.

epilogue-24.jpg

Alas…Abdul-Azeem was overconfident in his abilities, a true Perfectus who would have ruled side by side with the Divine…now…he is now with us and the World would be delivered by the 7 year old Muhsin.

epilogue-25.jpg

And came the day of the 1st of January 1453, with the Christian world awaiting the Apocalypse, perhaps for little Muhsin to grow wings and fangs and horns and the sky to grow dark with angels and demons fighting and the Messalians rising up against the true Christians of the world, for world conquest… but nothing of all these happened. Another day dawned and the people rejoiced for the world had yet ages more for the Apocalypse to happen.

Little Muhsin would grow in time and the Messalian movement crystallized its beliefs, although much different from the rest of the Christian world: all negative references of the bearer of Light were erased, neutrality of religion was issued and the allowance of women to also become perfecti, lead to equality of gender. Still, the Messalians were the pariahs of the world, often misunderstood and were seen with distrust.

As of the Hafsids, they became one of the most prominent dynasties of history , known for their opportunistic change in religion, expansionistic nature but also for their challenge of traditional ideas and cosmopolitanism. Their story became songs and poems, with their moments of rise and fall and the extent of their empire brought cultures and ideas together, infusing them and spreading the Levantines to the edges of the world.

epilogue-26.jpg

Maybe the apocalypse didn't come for the people, but it did for the Badshahs of the empire, returning Arabia to the Nestorians. A truly fitting way to end the Hafsid tale. And not only their history is one worth telling, while certainly the most interesting.

It looks like both the Empires of Britannia and Francia emerged from the Catholic realms. The Basque and Croats founded powerful kingdoms, and the Slavs reformed. And while all that power centralized, Vikings were much too occupied with raiding rather then subjugating themselves.

It was a very enjoyable read, following the rise and fall of the Hafsids, from Andalusian exiles in Crete to the Ibadi Caliphate, fighting usurpers, questioning their faith, then revolutionizing it. A little sad that it ends now, but at least the apocalypse could be avoided.

One last thing: A moment of genius that Bernard Capet took advantage of the nearing apocalypse to flee the Messalian lands :p

Well bravo! As alscon says, it's sad to see the Hafsid story end – though what a story it was. From small-time (and opportunistic) emirs to world-beating Badshahs of a new Hafsid empire, ever dissenting, ever revolutionary, the tale has been as wonderful as it has been improbable (and that's not a critique, by the way. Some improbability is always appreciated.)

I hope you have more planned in the future, Crimson. I very much also hope that we see it sooner rather than later. :)

COuld you convert this, then lead a reconquest of Italy and a reformation of Rome?

COuld you convert this, then lead a reconquest of Italy and a reformation of Rome?
Normally I too would say this but this ending is just so beautiful and absolutely perfect. I believe it should stay as is.

Maybe the apocalypse didn't come for the people, but it did for the Badshahs of the empire, returning Arabia to the Nestorians. A truly fitting way to end the Hafsid tale. And not only their history is one worth telling, while certainly the most interesting.

It looks like both the Empires of Britannia and Francia emerged from the Catholic realms. The Basque and Croats founded powerful kingdoms, and the Slavs reformed. And while all that power centralized, Vikings were much too occupied with raiding rather then subjugating themselves.

It was a very enjoyable read, following the rise and fall of the Hafsids, from Andalusian exiles in Crete to the Ibadi Caliphate, fighting usurpers, questioning their faith, then revolutionizing it. A little sad that it ends now, but at least the apocalypse could be avoided.

One last thing: A moment of genius that Bernard Capet took advantage of the nearing apocalypse to flee the Messalian lands :p

Bernard Capet I am most certain would sell everything to get away from the imminent Apocalypse, but it was his fault first of all for wanting to conquer Basra, perhaps to flee next to India? Who knows! When he was offered though freedom for gold, he surely took the offer without thinking twice!

The formation of a strong Britannia and a strong Karling Francia was a nice sight to see, Francia even tried to rally a holy war to restore Rome but failed, probably the fights in the Alps were not in their favor. There is also a small Holy Roman Empire , a remnant of Karling foundation which became a name title in the end. As of the Croats, they left their homeland and established their kingdom in Bohemia..yes..Bohemia..

Well bravo! As alscon says, it's sad to see the Hafsid story end – though what a story it was. From small-time (and opportunistic) emirs to world-beating Badshahs of a new Hafsid empire, ever dissenting, ever revolutionary, the tale has been as wonderful as it has been improbable (and that's not a critique, by the way. Some improbability is always appreciated.)

I hope you have more planned in the future, Crimson. I very much also hope that we see it sooner rather than later. :)

I have to agree, I myself did not imagine the story would unfold as it did, I was more suprised that I even managed(before Charlemagne) to actually re-install the Arabian Empire, only for it to crumble away from the sheer decadence(as it could have happened historically!). All in all, I hope it entertained you as it did myself, the middle to end game had lots of things to be done, and so little time!

I have plans for the future, dont worry! :)

You mean convert to EU IV? I tried but so far it crashes...has to do with the custom Empire of Jerusalem. I'll give it a try though, I haven't actually played EU IV so it will take a while to make perhaps a continuation worthy of an AAR :)

Normally I too would say this but this ending is just so beautiful and absolutely perfect. I believe it should stay as is.

Thank you! As I replied to Undead Martyr above, it may take a while for a EU IV spin-off continuation, firstly for the EU IV converter to work properly and secondly for me to become somewhat adept and the game not to end in a year :D

I would like to thank you all for your comments, views and remarks for this AAR! I hope you enjoyed this report just as myself who played the game and wrote this story and hopefully I will see you in another AAR!! Till then..take care!

That was a brilliant binge read.

Great AAR.