• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Airports Dev Diary #3: City Airline

Good afternoon passengers, and welcome aboard this Dev Diary headed for the creation of your very own City Airline. The team has prepared a handful of refreshing screenshots for you today, which can be found throughout this post.

At level 3 your airport has become significant enough to be the base of operations for an airline. With the Airline Headquarters Building, a Unique Building found in the Airport Area menu, you can found your very own airline, and customize the name, logo, and planes! All you need to do is place the building somewhere in your city - it can be in the Airport Area or anywhere you like.

3-1 HQ 2.png

Airline Headquarters are essential to founding your own airline

Once in your city, the Airline Headquarters Building unlocks the Airline tab in the Airport Area Info Panel - this tab can also be reached by selecting the Airline Headquarters Building and clicking the Airline Info button. Here you can change the name of your airline, choose a logo from the 6 options and set the main color of your aircraft fleet, as well as change the ticket price.

3-2 Planes.png

Customize the look of your airline

Having an airline in your city not only gives tourism an additional boost, but it also provides you with an additional income to help offset the cost of running your airport. Low ticket prices add to the Airport Area’s Attractiveness, while a high ticket price can make it slightly less attractive for tourists. Balance the Attractiveness right and you’re able to earn a sizable profit from your airline!

3-3 Airline.png

About one-third of planes using the airport will be from your airline

An airline is unique to the city, so you can only have one, even if you have multiple Airport Areas in the city. Any changes made to the airline from one Airport Area Info Panel will be applied to all areas.

Aviation Museum​

Another Unique Building available once your airport reaches level 3 is the Aviation Museum, also found in the Airport Area tab under Public Transport. This old aircraft hangar now houses historical planes and teaches citizens and tourists alike about the history of aviation. As a Unique Building, it adds to your City Attractiveness and helps attract more tourists to your city!

3-4 Museum 1.png

Must visit for aviation fans from near and far

That concludes today’s Dev Diary! We’re excited to see what airlines will end up in your cities and hope you enjoy taking control of your airport’s economy. Next up we look at Cargo Airport Services and how they tie into Airport Areas - that’s Thursday at 4 PM CET / 7 AM PST.

Last but not least check out the video tutorial by City Planner Plays and don't forget to subscribe to our YouTube channel for more! This video continues Friday's topic and dives into the details of public transport!

CS_Airports_Schedule_1080x1080.jpg

• 17Like
Reactions:
ChirpAir is a cute name. :D

• 2Like
Reactions:
Having an airline in your city not only gives tourism an additional boost, but it also provides you with an additional income to help offset the cost of running your airport. Low ticket prices add to the Airport Area’s Attractiveness, while a high ticket price can make it slightly less attractive for tourists. Balance the Attractiveness right and you’re able to earn a sizable profit from your airline!

View attachment 793784
About one-third of planes using the airport will be from your airline

Thanks so much for all the new information! I have a question about this, if I may.

How does the Airport Area's Attractiveness relate to the city's overall Attractiveness? Does it work like a standard unique building and simply add to the city's overall attractiveness score (the one that caps out at 99 or 100, and that is visible in the tourist tab)?

Okay, so the museum clearly has a Concorde (engine pods are too far outboard for a Tu-144) and a Super Constellation, but what are those fighter jets? They look almost like F-101 Voodoos in almost every particular, but lack the swept outer portion of the wings...almost like someone took a voodoo and replaced the outer wings with those of a Freedom Fighter or maybe a Falcon.

Okay, so the museum clearly has a Concorde (engine pods are too far outboard for a Tu-144) and a Super Constellation, but what are those fighter jets? They look almost like F-101 Voodoos in almost every particular, but lack the swept outer portion of the wings...almost like someone took a voodoo and replaced the outer wings with those of a Freedom Fighter or maybe a Falcon.
F104s apparently.

Weird, they look almost nothing like a Starfighter, though. No stubby rocket wings, two engines rather than one, swept rudder rather than truncated pyramid...

Unless you mean a Voodoo with the outer wings being replaced by a Starfighter's

I swear, I remember being able to watch individual threads without making a single comment before, but I coudn't find the button anymore.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Thanks so much for all the new information! I have a question about this, if I may.

How does the Airport Area's Attractiveness relate to the city's overall Attractiveness? Does it work like a standard unique building and simply add to the city's overall attractiveness score (the one that caps out at 99 or 100, and that is visible in the tourist tab)?
Essentially yes. The airport's attractiveness adds to the City Attractiveness, so more tourists are interested in visiting your city.

So are taxis included in this DLC too?
No, taxis are still only available in After Dark. Taxis have always been able to use bus lanes too, and tourists or citizens will stand in front of a building waiting for a taxi, just like they always have. The larger terminals just have a dedicated bus/taxi lane for easy pick-up and drop-off.

Will there ever be increased in citizen instance limits?
No changes to the limits

Reactions:
Quick question ... stab in the dark ... I have my airport leveled to 3. Everything seems to be working fine (aside from Optimized Outside Connections being disabled) ... I place the airline headquarters and the game freezes in its tracks. I can't see any reason it would. None of my hardware is maxed out. There aren't that many mods left unaddressed. What. the. heck? I don't have any error logs to upload because the game isn't giving me an error message. It just freezes.

Attachments

• frozen game.jpg
    frozen game.jpg
    430,2 KB · Views: 0
Quick question ... stab in the dark ... I have my airport leveled to 3. Everything seems to be working fine (aside from Optimized Outside Connections being disabled) ... I place the airline headquarters and the game freezes in its tracks. I can't see any reason it would. None of my hardware is maxed out. There aren't that many mods left unaddressed. What. the. heck? I don't have any error logs to upload because the game isn't giving me an error message. It just freezes.
I've seen a few reports of this, but it can't seem to be reproduced with the launch options -noWorkshop and -disableMods in place, so it seems to be a still undiscovered mod issue. Unfortunately, I don't have any good guesses as to which mods might affect this.

I guess one way to help would be sequentially turn off every mod individually until I'm able to place HQ without game freezing? I can work on it this weekend.
I've seen a few reports of this, but it can't seem to be reproduced with the launch options -noWorkshop and -disableMods in place, so it seems to be a still undiscovered mod issue. Unfortunately, I don't have any good guesses as to which mods might affect this.
I turned off all the following mods (don't know if it makes a difference to unsubscribe. The problem was still there with these mods turned off:

Bulldoze It! Kealu
Cinematic Camera Extended 0.5.1 by SamsamTS
Custom Effect Loader by boformer
Decal Prop Fix boformer
Environment Changer
Extra Train Station Tracks BloodyPenguin
First Person Camera tony56a
Forest Brush TPB
Fine Road Anarchy 2.0.2 klyte
More Effective Transfer Manager
Network Tiling by Ronyx69
No Seagulls thale5
Procedural Objects
Prop & Tree Anarchy BloodyPenguin
Prop Line Tool Alterran
Prop Precision 1.0.1 SamsamTS
Prop Snapping BloodyPenguin
Quay Anarchy BloodyPenguin
Random Tree Rotation
Rebalanced Industries
Totally Free camera
ZenGardenChwreyBlossomunlocker

I turned off all the following mods (don't know if it makes a difference to unsubscribe. The problem was still there with these mods turned off:

-snip-
Can you attach your output_log.txt from after having placed the Airline HQ? It's found in the Cities_Data folder where the game is installed. The easiest way to find it is right-click on the game in your Library, select Manage and then Browse Local Files.