Age of Wonders: Planetfall - Dev Diary #43: The Paragon NPC Faction

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I'm no prude but boob plates are stupid and usually used in an objectifing way. If you can't imagine some of those identical units covered in armour being female then that's you issue.

By the way nice just off the 'some people disagree with me, let's group them together under a "disparaging" description' argument :confused:
They're also very practical for the purpose of getting killed rather than surviving, as they will direct rather than deflect strikes and shots to the chest.

I'm no prude but boob plates are stupid and usually used in an objectifing way. If you can't imagine some of those identical units covered in armour being female then that's you issue.

By the way nice just off the 'some people disagree with me, let's group them together under a "disparaging" description' argument :confused:
Yes and no. Boob-plates that leave large parts of the skin exposed are silly and impractical. Like the 'Breast-Plate' trope. Elaborate armor that has impressions of body parts on them while still being fully covering are not that bad. Breast mounds are no less impractical than suits of armor with codpieces or abs forged on them. So a female warrior can have breast mounds on her armor without being *too* outlandish or ridiculous.

They're also very practical for the purpose of getting killed rather than surviving, as they will direct rather than deflect strikes and shots to the chest.
I've seen at least a couple people putting that to the test and finding it to simply be a myth.

Last edited:
Yes and no. Boob-plates that leave large parts of the skin exposed are silly and impractical. Like the 'Breast-Plate' trope. Elaborate armor that has impressions of body parts on them while still being fully covering are not that bad. Breast mounds are no less impractical than suits of armor with codpieces or abs forged on them. So a female warrior can have breast mounds on her armor without being *too* outlandish or ridiculous.

I've seem at least a couple people putting that to the test and finding it to simply be a myth.
Hang on a sec... *watches Shadiversity's video on the subject*

I guess you're right.

The Amazons and Valkyries kinda have armour shaped into their form anyway, just not to an exaggerated extent.

Either way, the presence of women in this game isn't something that should be made a big deal out of, and if someone is bothered by the lack of blatantly female-looking variants in some of the units, that's all on them.

Shadiversity videos are a blessing.

Also is worh noting that units like the Syndicate Scouts and Kir'ko ravagers,who are squads unarmored enough to not hide their gender, are show to be units composed of the same model, Assembly seems to be the only exception with mixed units, and all the female units are visibly female looking, so assuming that Vanguard troppers and Indebtured are meant to be composed on only male soldiers in-game is not an unreasonable assumption, quite the contrary in fact.

Besides, Amazons are exclusively female without even having male heroes, the rest of the factions have a mix of both male and female units to varying degree, and there is no faction military exclusively composed of male combatants, the most realistic lineup in our history if you want to discuss the lack of realism of boobplate armor, put women in a very well represented position, futher emphatizing that assuming that every fully armored unit squad has to be mixed should't be a big discussion topic don't you think?

It doesn't matter what the lore says. If all the Vanguard trooper toons look the same then I assume they are male. You want to make them look female? Fine, do a few toons without helmets to show their gender or give them the good old fashioned boob plate treatment.

But boob plates are unrealistic, unpractical and sexist! :p
Yes, on all 3 accounts. Why would any Warrior worth their weapon wear armor that is unpractical?

Like the 'Breast-Plate' trope. Elaborate armor that has impressions of body parts on them while still being fully covering are not that bad./QUOTE]
In the age of Firearms, they are. There are some basic rules we figured out when designing tank armor.
And as it turns out, they apply 100% to armoring meatbags in the modern age too.