Age of Wonders: Planetfall – Dev Diary #17: The Kir'ko Faction Unleashed

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I find it interesting that the Commanders are a separate caste from the rest, I imagine at least in my mind, that Hive Queens are the true "Rulers" of the race, as that would make the most sense, but they may be focused on more internal management, the minute scale of things, so Commanders are the "Tactical" face of the race. The brains behind a lot of actual external diplomacy/war/etc. I'm thinking like a Queens right-hand advisor. Then again this is based on nothing but imagination, but that's the fun of it!

Another little thing to fix...

"Retribution or Vengeance? You can wear your intentions on your sleeve (or head). Like this decorative human skull."
Not much choice here? ;)

Think ill go peaceful... THEN eat everyone and turn the world back to new home of nice soothing fungal jungles. Too bad im abysmally horrible at keeping the evolving units alive to elite status. Think ive only ever seen something like 5 or so evolving draconians during hundreds of games... but that boost to the whole stack when one is hurt ought to help....
I mean multiple supporting full stacks was a great way to stop lvl4:s. Some old scenarion with unpassable mountains, a few towers... 6 full stacks and hordes of hordes upon hordes of doomwolves charging... and the defences would keep until being able to support the stacks a bit more and actually push back with stacks of lvl 3:s

the psychic stuff working against most kinda reminds me of the old wraith.... with physical immunity... making it able to butcher whole armies as long as none had magic or other such strike. And even just one was usually manageble.. undead strategy consisted on leaving lone wraiths on mountain tops,on small lakes etc mostly inaccessible places and hoping something edible passed by.

That and the razing of own cities.... then returning later to animate ruins... and giant death stacks just attacking to raze and move onwards... others did the animation later.
Crazy way of fighting.. and entirely unlike any other race :D

As for the Drone Carrier, I wouldn't say this looks like much of a flyer unit, but maybe ;)

Ahem...I had forgotten about that picture. I think this makes a bit more sense to be honest as it seems to be a walker.

For Assembly, an amalgam unit similar to a bone collector as you describe would be scary... to program. :p
Also, quite a scary unit as well. Uhm, I'm not sure how possible what you described would be, or remotely able to be balanced, but some sort of unit that recycles parts seems like a neat idea.

It could be a candidate for one only per player.

Or it could be, literally, an Assembly city of a certain size turned into a unit. By default there wouldn't be many of those around and the trade off would be huge...but potentially this thing could end up being a tier 10 unit.

Or simply make it so that it costs more and more to run.

I would imagine a Queen to have large scale Psionic abilities, except focused on notable buffs/debuffs rather than damage

yeah makes sense for the de/buffs to be psionic based.

Dvar we already know the general idea of, as you said, although I doubt it will be as offensively capable as a Juggernaut, if they follow through with their vaguely stated plan to make T4s closer to super-support units.

Having a minimum required range would open it up to being meleed, an inexpensive counter. Another cool ability this thing could have is terraforming, by spending a turn per hex of mountain. Yes, it should be able to destroy mountains! That would be a pretty cool, assymetric and support ability!

I find it interesting that the Commanders are a separate caste from the rest, I imagine at least in my mind, that Hive Queens are the true "Rulers" of the race, as that would make the most sense, but they may be focused on more internal management, the minute scale of things, so Commanders are the "Tactical" face of the race.
Since the Queens were genetically lobotomised, it seems reasonable that the more humanoid Kir'ko, who had been epi-genetically engineered to act as an interface between the humans and the rest of the Kir'ko, would be the ones to lead after the collapse. The Queens might take over ruling of the Kir'ko if you can find a way to reverse their genetic damage, assuming that they actually did run the Kir'ko communities before and weren't just a communications hub and reproduction system.

The contrast between the Engulfer's flavour text and background is a little bit low. I can imagine some people might have difficulty reading it.

I can't wait to see more of the naval units and don't you even try to tell me that there are no Penguins with Lasers in the game. As I know they are somewhere there, I can feel it in my bones, they are lurking in the deep oceans, just waiting to attack your lone ships..

Good catch; now look as his name again

yeah we figured it out on discord!

don't you even try to tell me that there are no Penguins with Lasers in the game

Penguins were never ranged...
I was personally hoping for Penguins with cybernetically augmented wing flaps

There's room for plain and simple giant penguins. If these worlds have all suffered such a catastrophe, and gone largely feral, then why wouldn't there be all sorts of crazy wildlife, including dire penguins, roaming around somewhere.

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?attachments/techtree-jpg.411638/

I like how you cut the celestian tech tree but left "luminance" as a little tease.
And "Star Presen[ce]", both of which are rather interesting names for what would be in the slots for Forces research from what we've seen of other Secret Techs.
Then again, "-sis" has "Network Connectivity," "Neural Integration" and "Information Control" as names for their Forces techs, so what can one really say.

New stream? Yay!

Preserving the Future and Structure Brood Cluster sounds like a nice combo.

I wonder into what unit Emergent evolve. Abyssian I guess? They have similar abilities.

These guys interest me a lot more than the Vanguard at this point. Next time you do a stream, could we see the Kir'ko being played? Actually, I think seeing all the factions in action would be nice. (Once they're in a playable state of course, which I don't think the Dvar are yet.)

I'm noticing there doesn't seem to be much difference in unit speeds, or I'm misinterpreting how the different number affect things.
Looks like units can move 6, 8, 10 hexes over normal terrain. Not sure if its always been like that in AoW games and I'm just having a brain-fade. XD

These guys interest me a lot more than the Vanguard at this point. Next time you do a stream, could we see the Kir'ko being played? Actually, I think seeing all the factions in action would be nice. (Once they're in a playable state of course, which I don't think the Dvar are yet.)

I believe the next stream is confirmed kir'ko and is next thorstag.

New stream? Yay!

Preserving the Future and Structure Brood Cluster sounds like a nice combo.

I wonder into what unit Emergent evolve. Abyssian I guess? They have similar abilities.

For some reason I just assumed they were like the Draconian and dragon hatchlings from before, meaning random evolution but weighted towards lower tiers.

Which gave me an idea just now of a Kir'ko tech that would *direct* the evolution, so you could, conceivably, more easily control it and get a bunch of whatever.

So when it hits gold level (or whatever level triggers evolution) you can pay to have it evolve into what you want.

Could be a game changer, but still requires babysitting the Emergent and costs money, whereas random evolution would be free.

Also makes thematic sense imho.

I'm noticing there doesn't seem to be much difference in unit speeds, or I'm misinterpreting how the different number affect things.
Looks like units can move 6, 8, 10 hexes over normal terrain. Not sure if its always been like that in AoW games and I'm just having a brain-fade. XD
It was 28/32/36 as the standard speeds in AoW 3. Planetfall is just shifting the speed differentials into a broader stretch of 24/32/40, resulting in 'slow' and 'fast' having a bit more impact strategically, but remaining the same tactically.

Strategic speeds:
28/32/36 (tighter spread of movement distances)
= 14/16/18 hexes for 2 cost (Advanced Logistics roads and Improved Mountaineering)
= 9/10/12 hexes for 3 cost (roads and structures, generally, along with Flyers)
= 7/8/9 hexes for 4 cost default terrain without a feature
= 4/5/6 hexes for 6 cost default terrain with forest or wetlands, and Mountaineering
(same as above for combat for walking units without Athletics)
= 2/2/2 hexes for 14 cost default for mountain

24/32/40 (broader spread of movement distances)
= 12/16/20 hexes for 2 cost (if it exists)
= 8/10/13 hexes for 3 cost (likely the same methods)
= 6/8/10 hexes for 4 cost (as above)
= 4/5/6 hexes for 6 cost (as above, but notably the same as the previous movement values, in particular for combat)
= 2/2/3 hexes for 12 cost (notable in that Mountains now cost 12 in Planetfall, relative to before, meaning 'fast' units get a third hex)
(but the Dvar faction, the slower faction on average, also comes with the Expedited Movement: Mountain trait, to lower their cost for movement, similar to Mountaineering, although the exact reduction remains yet unknown)

As can be seen, while Combat movement remains essentially the same, strategic map movement has changed such that slower units/armies will move less distance than in AoW3, and likewise faster ones will move further than before. Even if just by one hex either way, although that third hex of mountain movement for fast units now is a relative increase of 50%.

[EDIT]
@BloodyBattleBrain
For some reason I just assumed they were like the Draconian and dragon hatchlings from before, meaning random evolution but weighted towards lower tiers.

Which gave me an idea just now of a Kir'ko tech that would *direct* the evolution, so you could, conceivably, more easily control it and get a bunch of whatever.

So when it hits gold level (or whatever level triggers evolution) you can pay to have it evolve into what you want.

Could be a game changer, but still requires babysitting the Emergent and costs money, whereas random evolution would be free.

Also makes thematic sense imho.
I had the same assumption about their Evolution mechanic.

As for your idea, do also consider this section of the Dev Diary:
Terratech’s bio engineers genetically lobotomized the hive queens, changing them to mindless breeders. Having taken out the psychic threat of the Kir’Ko gestalt consciousness, they evolved casts of slave workers and hardened warriors through rapid epi-genetics.
To themselves do the same to their own kind could be viewed as reverse engineering methods of the enemy to their own means, a potentially positive outlook. Alternately, it could also be seen as utilizing the same methods as their enemy, and what does that make them? A sort of moral quandary.

Thematically, the Xenoplague Secret Tech is the remnants of Terratech technology, and I could see a player having picked them following the above path, though. Working under the first viewpoint most likely, in that case.

-----

Anyway, as a reminder, there are no passive 'Empire Upgrade' type technologies(Covert Ops tech possibly excluded, as many of their bonuses have been implied to be passive enhancements to scanning capabilities). So this would have to be a Doctrine. I feel like it would need to be mid-high tier, by virtue of the means of producing spare Emergent units coming online(Operations and Ravenous, possibly the T4). We know the Tier 5 faction Doctrines already, pushing this back all the way to Tier 9. As such, for also being a higher tech tier Doctrine, albeit one which can create T3 units in the field away from your territory(but lacking the bonuses of a city-produced unit, which is a big malus!), I feel like it would need some other benefit added besides the ability to choose the evolution for Emergent units.

Whether it's an increase to Emergent units, such as experience gain(stacking with the Tier 1 Kir'Ko Doctrine), or a boost to their stats so they can survive to evolve more easily, or something else entirely, tied to the concept of a focus on Kir'Ko Evolutionary capabilities as a whole. Such as:

Focused Evolution: Tier IX, Priming Cost 300 Energy/6 Operation Points
Focusing on adaptive genetics has provided Kir'Ko armies the ability to quickly adapt lifeforms to the needs of the moment.

Emergent units may have their Metamorphosis target selected at a cost (perhaps roughly 50-75% of base cost of the unit being changed into, to account for the effort of ranking up an Emergent, into a unit without bonuses from being produced in a colony, and factoring in cost of updating Unit Mods for more expensive units).
In combat, Biological units (for synergy? or simply "Kir'Ko units") gain 2 Resistance against the damage channel of the last received damage.

Last edited: