Age of Wonders: Planetfall – Dev Diary #11: Faction Customization

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Many great things here! Like "the type of Commander you are has a great impact on how you achieve victory" and attention to 'race-uniqueness'.

Only concern is that randomness in research would be totally gone; I really liked in AOW3 that sometimes the research-pool does not give what I normally research asap, forcing me to adapt to the situation - sometimes to the point of a complete change in playstyle; doing things what I normally dont do and learning that this new way is fun too.

But overall very pleased to read explanations on mechanics.

Last edited:
Jikuku Cos´Rax is a Kleptomaniac Colonial Covert Sniper!
But Hatyl Ur´Uk has a big smile, with which you can conquer the world.

Love this journal!

Are there any Background/Colony/Commander/Vice options that are dependent on faction or secret tech?
That might be a cool twist.

Great dev diary, so instead of the AoW3 classes you have the Secret Technology. Looking forward to know about the assemly and the Syndicate.

From an organization point of view I like the different tech paths. You could even include some unique techs that are only available within the current combination. For example the Dvar could provide a unique armor upgrade to purifier forces.
To some degree, as long as access to the racial tech of other races is quite limited(Up to tier 3, perhaps, except for maybe tier 5 or 6 for Forces techs), there is some degree of built-in uniqueness from certain combinations made available by high tier racial mods with secret tech units. Or, viewed another way, if racial units of secondary races doesn't allow the last unit or two to be researched(I hope Tier 4 is excluded, at the very least), then that's at least one combination that can only be done with a specific primary-fact/secret combo.

That being said, I do think that some degree of unique-synergies might be neat, but the aforementioned high-tier faction mods and combat operations, might be the plan already. Promethean Phoenix Walker with a high tier Dvar armor defensive mod might be noticeably different than a Pheonix Walker with a 'static shield' type defensive mod from Assembly, or a Phoenix Walker with a Cloaking Field support mod from Kir'Ko.
(of course, all of these mods are theoretical)

Are there any Background/Colony/Commander/Vice options that are dependent on faction or secret tech?
While I don't see Colony being much different(aside from possibly the first three options, such that their names might refer to certain infrastructure), the others may vary a bit.

I expect Loadout to be relatively the same, in concept, between races (the first Kir'Ko leader has what I might imagine to be the Kir'Ko version of Close Combat Equipment, but with a different icon than Vanguard), but I would think the general pattern of Close Combat/Sniper/Assault/Pilot and possibly even something like 'Support'(Psionics based for a Kir'Ko, Medic or Engineer for Vanguard) would persist, even if the exact specifics differ, of course. Damage channels, and some elements of their abilities being different, but following the same general theme for a given role.

Vices are essentially personality traits, which can easily transcend faction barrier, so they probably won't really have any variance.

Backgrounds is the one area above others which I hope has racial variance, though. Vanguard has their Veterans, people with a Military Tradition, and even their Star Union Scholars. Dvar have Foremen(reduced production costs due to efficient labor), Environmentalists(increased yields from terrain modifiers). Kir'Ko have their Escaped Slaves(units follow their leadership with reduced upkeep) and Hive Commanders(increased Happiness/Morale).

And so on, and so forth. Plenty of possible ideas to be had, plus since Backgrounds are where the main empire-wide bonuses come from, it helps to create racial asymmetry more than the Colony or Loadout sections would.

Last edited:
Are the background, perk, and vice options going to change based on race?( obviously the load out will change).

No racial variants beyond load-out yet. But there is definitely room for expansion there. Great suggestions for Vices @Jean-Luc .

Any one got cool suggestion for racial perks?

At the start of the Game the player selects one of the Secret Technologies of the Star Union. These are fields of experimental or forbidden research that were hidden from the general population. By mastering these technologies, the Commanders hope to achieve victory and / or transcend their people to a new era

The Commanders would hope to transcend their people to a new era without hoping to achieving victory? I think that is new. Not sure how to feel about this.

Voidship to kickstart your colony in a particular area. For example, Extra Cryopods start off your colonies with extra population.

Voidship sounds like a new term as well. Void... void... void.... Shadow Demons confirmed?
"colonies" is in plural form, so having Cryopods with you when you "land" will give all of your newly settled colonies a population boost? Or might the game start with multiple colonies under your control already? Do these bonuses apply to acquired (not settled) settlements?

I'm sure we could come up with ideas if we had some extra info on the Assembly and Syndicate. You know, food for thought... Nothing more :rolleyes:

Depends on the characteristics of the races, ne?
So,for example, if the Dvar are based on Dwarves, they might be greedy, that is, too fascinated by the promise of profit. Or they might be alcoholics or otherwise addicted. They could be dogmatic or stubborn.
So racial descriptions would be needed here.

I hope that eventually, when we get more traits, between now and closer to release, or later, we actually get some that cost 3 points, or even 4 or 5, with the former leaning towards selecting a Vice, and the latter outright requiring it. That, and some Vices with steep penalties(that can be played around, but will potentially define a play style outright), but worth 3, or more(!), extra points as a trade off.

Kir'Ko

Psychosomatic Transfusion - Any Kir'Ko unit can sacrifice itself and transfer a part of its life force and experience to another friendly/allied Kir'Ko unit. Unit dies, target Kir'Ko unit is healed for ~75% of its remaining hp. The target also receives xp with value equal to ~25% of sacrificed unit's accumulated xp plus the sacrificed unit's "kill value" in xp. Maybe just one of those if its too much.

Simpler version - Psi Link - When a Kir'Ko unit dies 75% of its accumulated xp + "kill value" xp is disseminated to other friendly Kir'Ko units on the battle map in equal measure.

Shared Burden - The morale value of all Kir'Ko cities and units (within the same army?) is the average value of them all. So if one city has +500 morale and another -500 both would have 0. Maybe this is too much calculation, especially for units? That's why I suggested it could be "per army" for units. Maybe limit it to cities only. Unlike in AoW3 stacking mad morale in one city wouldn't be wasted. :p Allied Kir'Ko players could even agree to psychically "link" their two factions and make their empire morale that much sturdier. Could be a unique diplomatic option.

This plays into the idea of Kir'Ko as a collectivist insectoid race but also a psychic one whose members share an even stronger bond due to being former slaves and struggling to stay free and survive. I imagine Kir'Ko as being not a hive mind but very empathetic to each other. If you know the TV show "Sense8" that's what I'm talking about.

It could add interesting tactical choices. Do you focus on finishing off injured Kir'Ko units even when it's inconvenient to do so so they can't use their ability or move on to the next target to maximize dmg or preserve own units? Will the enemy continue fighting with a heavily injured unit or sacrifice it, or maybe sacrifice a healthy one rather than the other way around? There's some co-op potential too for allied Kir'Ko players.

City morale wise this could allow Kir'Ko to more easily expand into bad terrain as long as they can keep other cities really happy. No idea how happiness/morale works so it's difficult to gauge. On the other hand several "Dark Omens" could really push their national morale down instead of just affecting a few cities.

Vanguard

Tip of the Spear (a different way of saying "vanguard") - when morale is positive Vanguard units gain +5% (maybe more?) hit chance and +25% exp gain. All this would very much depend on how easy or hard morale is to maintain. It shouldn't apply to drones? Maybe drones have human operators?

Human Heritage - bonus influence from landmark sectors.

This is in line with the Van's theme of optimism and being the "OG Humans". Carpe diem and all that. It would also make morale debuffing abilities uniquely useful vs this faction.

Dvar

Hardened Pressure Suits - Dvar units suffer only 50% penalty or damage from unfavorable terrain and any map hazards (strategic or tactical). They also have extra armor and hp (+1ar, +5hp? Is there even a baseline to which this would apply? Maybe it's a bad idea). However when a Dvar unit's hp falls to ~30% or below it gains the "depressurized" debuff which reduces its action points by 1 as additional time and energy have to be devoted to (secondary) life support systems.

Dvar remind me a lot of Volus from Mass Effect who cannot survive outside their suits because they have very specific needs in terms of breathable gas and atmospheric pressure. I imagine something similar could've happened to the Dvar due to their surroundings when working as miners. It's a different spin on the tough but slow trope. I also like the idea of their suits being resistant to explosions which would allow them to withstand friendly AoE fire if it means taking out more of the enemy. Of course not all Dvar units are infantry but the same principle can apply to vehicles/mechs, don't see why not.

Simpler version - Layered Armor - Dvar units start with +1 armor but when hp falls to 50% or less the bonus is lost.

Expert Prospectors - Gain small amounts of Cosmite from pickups and explored sites.

Amazons

Combat Instinct
- First attack in a turn against an Amazon unit deals 50% (30%?) less dmg (similar to parry in AoW1 but for all attacks). Good for charging into overwatch.

Ecological Engineering - Wilderness sectors held by the Amazons gradually change into their preferred (arcadian) terrain. Although if terraforming is as available as it is in AoW3 this could be a useless bonus. Maybe a city production/resource bonus in favored terrain? Maybe the terrain could spread into neighboring sectors and potentially mess up your enemies or make future expansion easier?

Last edited:
Yes I enjoy me some BATTLETECH, but I am really impressed by the quality and feel of the screen captures I see here. I thought I might pick up Imperator: Rome next... but Planetfall is looking better and better to me. : )

On the race description, you meant the Kir'Ko were the only sapient life form the Star Union ever encountered.

Sentient is the ability to feel, to have a personality, and understand morality. Most mammals and birds are sentient or have significant shades of it.

Sapient is the ability to reason, to be wise, to build civilizations. Humans are the only sapient species we know of.

I know I've said this before, but I'm really loving the lighting, shading and colour palette you guys are using for this game!
Hopefully the Commander loadouts/weapon choices get expanded closer to release. It would be great to have some variation, like a Vanguard Commander using psi abilities if we choose the Psynumbra secret tech for example.

Ah tons of new info in the dev diary. I think the new tech paths are a great idea. On looks it could use some refinement, but mechanically I really like this idea of different research areas for different tech groups, making all racial tech paths unique. I was never a big fan of the randomness in AoW research. It could lead to some nice unpredictability but also to frustration. I think this is a better solution that still provides flexibility depending on the race, secret tech and weapon groups you select.

I know I've said this before, but I'm really loving the lighting, shading and colour palette you guys are using for this game!
Hopefully the Commander loadouts/weapon choices get expanded closer to release. It would be great to have some variation, like a Vanguard Commander using psi abilities if we choose the Psynumbra secret tech for example.
Hmm, that's an excellent idea. Secret Tech unlocking a 2-cost(?) Loadout option that can be taken.
Examples:
Promethean = Thermal damage PyrX 'flamethrower' as primary weapon(no real ranged weapon), Thermal Resistance and a small bonus to damage to units outside your own race/faction(if that's possible at all).

Psynumbra = default primary weapon, but with an offensive psionic ability or two(with XCOM as an example, think , Null Lance and Void Rift) and some other trait or two common to Psynumbra units.

Xenoplague = Biochemical melee attack, or shooting spines, which apply a virulent toxin against Biological targets(no effect against Mechanical) as a result of induced mutations, and related traits.

On a related note, after further thought that I discussed a bit earlier with somebody(or in the discord, either way), I was hoping Loadouts would have an extra racial flair in granted traits. In general, I sorely hope Loadouts grant at least one extra thematic trait on top of the weapon(s) provided, if they have a racial/faction affinity to them, then all the better.

For example, a Kir'Ko with a Sniper specialization, might also get abilities similar to a Hidden, such as Shrouded Step or Universal Camouflage. Such that even if they change their weapon later, something of their origins remain.

Perhaps a Vanguard with Sniper would gain a form of holotargeting added to their attacks instead, making successive allied attacks against the same target have increased accuracy, similar to what the OWL appears to do. This would carry over to other weapons, and even in a mounted form.

An Amazon Sniper engineered a form of ammunition specialized against Biological foes(no effect against Mechanical), that attempts to break down their very DNA, causing severe penalties to the struck target, as their internal organs fail them. Targets lose a percentage of their maximum health every round, and suffer severe Morale penalties, for several rounds, but are immune to further applications of the effect within the same battle.

Meanwhile, a Dvar Sniper can apply an effect destabilizing targets, which lowers an enemy's Stagger Resistance by a stage(even breaking Immunity!), for synergy with the explosive attacks of their armies.

Just some ideas of radically different variations of units which would all still follow the Support-Sniper theme, although I admit with the latter two I started to come up with entirely new abilities. I could see the Amazon one being not difficult to implement as it's mostly just damage over time with a morale penalty(Ghoul Curse, for example as a case for an ability which after being tested, a target thereafter became immune to). The Dvar one might be trickier, depending on how Stagger Resistance stacks(if a Stagger Resistant unit can increase their Resistance to Immunity with a unit mod, then I could imagine a different effect could also reduce Resistance by a stage 0/1/2 being None/Resistant/Immune).

-----

On a side note, if it doesn't exist yet(haven't seen the scroll down, but it wasn't mentioned in the Dev Diary, either), I think there is room for a 'Support' style Loadout. It would keep the default weapon, or even have a weaker one, but would gain one or more Supporting abilities and traits. For a Vanguard, they might be similar to a Medic or Engineer, or even both at once. For a Kir'Ko, perhaps they have a Psionic Mind-Meld style ability to boost an allied unit's Accuracy, Shields, Damage, Critical chance or all of the above. Yeah, I took that one from XCOM, too.

-----

To expand on this further, with an idea I was discussing with Dr_K in the Discord channel, what if Loadouts also provided an extra couple of ability unlocks at higher level. Only a couple, such as levels 6/11, 6/12, or 8/15. To use the example of the Kir'Ko sniper earlier, they might start with Shrouded Step, then later get access to Universal Camouflage, then even later, if they took the Universal Camouflage upgrade at the mid-tier level, they could then select a Group version of it to apply to their entire stack. Something like 2-3 extra abilities at higher level unlocks, in addition to the normal abilities that can be chosen for a Hero of the given faction. Perhaps if the Hero-type would already get such an ability(there is only room for so many unique abilities in the game, after all), there is a way to tweak it to cost less instead, if they chose the particular Loadout that would grant it.

It's not meant to be a full hero class difference compared to a default hero of the race, it's just expanding on the specialized Loadout they selected at the start a little bit. After all, the player did choose to spend precious perk points improving a single unit(an important unit, but still), rather than getting a potentially, and likely, more useful Empire-wide bonus from a more expensive Background option instead.

Last edited:
Will there be racial/weapon group filters like 3 has to help finding commanders?

Also if its not set, could races be species? It sounds more sci fi.
fantasy races, alien species. This is an aliens game not a fantasy one right?
Meh, I'm assuming they're not all separate species, though. Seems likely to me the Vanguard and Syndicate are both human, and Amazons we know are multiple species. "Race" is nice for covering ranges like this because it isn't restricted to one degree of classification. Japanese race, Asian race, human race... Hypothetically you could continue on to classify all life from a certain planet, system, or galaxy as a "race". The wonders of folk taxonomy.

Meh, I'm assuming they're not all separate species, though. Seems likely to me the Vanguard and Syndicate are both human, and Amazons we know are multiple species. "Race" is nice for covering ranges like this because it isn't restricted to one degree of classification. Japanese race, Asian race, human race... Hypothetically you could continue on to classify all life from a certain planet, system, or galaxy as a "race". The wonders of folk taxonomy.
Personally, I kind of prefer the simple usage of "Faction(s)," to identify the different groups. The Devs already use it when they refer to "NPC-Factions," as it is. Simply saying "[Player] Factions" works for me, as they are different groups of beings, with different sets of ideals.

Also, we barely know anything about Syndicate, and I'm still holding out some hope that the Psionic/Arc using Syndicate are actually a call-out to Syrons. Don't spoil that hope for me, yet!

That being said, we do know, I think, that Dvar are just a genetic off-shoot of the same humans as Vanguard. The same can be said for the human portion of the Amazons. Except even more similar in the Amazons' case, as they are likely still genetically compatible with Vanguard. Dvar and Vanguard could be considered different races of human, and Amazon might not even truly be a different race at all. Assembly are a hybrid mechanized form of those same humans, as well.

Only Kir'Ko, and potentially Syndicate, are explicitly a different species of being.