• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Showing developer posts only. Show all posts in this thread.

Deuterium Oxide

Distribution Manager
Paradox Staff
15 Badges
Jan 13, 2014
  • Magicka: Wizard Wars Founder Wizard
Hello! I’m Anders Törlind, Product Manager for the service we call the “Paradox Launcher”, as part of our Player Services team at Paradox Interactive. We’ve seen a growing number of questions in the past few weeks as we’ve started to see the launcher deployed on more of our games. I’ll try to answer some of them and bring more clarity on this topic today.

So, what is the “Paradox Launcher” anyway?
It’s a splash screen that several of our games use, it provides some features for these games (see below). The main purpose of the launcher is to centralize the development of these features so that the game teams can focus on what they’re best at: making games.

The launcher is a separate binary that is shared among several of our games. This means that there is typically only one installation of the launcher on your computer. It also attempts to keep itself up to date, meaning that different game teams don’t have to spend time making new releases of their games in order to get new launcher features or bug fixes delivered.

Why are we developing the launcher?
Long story short; costs and time savings. Having one central team making a launcher is better than having multiple game teams making multiple launchers or implementing identical features in their games.

The other benefit is that it enables us to offer a similar experience to our players on different distribution platforms. For example, in the olden days, only Steam users would get mods support for our PDS titles. With the launcher integrating PDX Mods, this can be made available to all players without the game team having to make any significant changes to the game itself.

What are the future plans?
With a team dedicated to launcher functionality, we have the capacity to develop features that individual game teams could not justify the cost of. We are currently focusing on the modding functionality, and exposing capabilities built into Paradox Mods. Essentially, our current priority is to make it easier for our players to use and manage their mods.

Isn’t it some form of DRM?
Nope. It does no kind of Digital Rights Management and will not prevent access to any content.

Is it tied to telemetrics or data tracking?
The launcher uses telemetry in the same way as all of our games do. It is covered by the same privacy policy (see our EULA), and abides by the GDPR rules for all users. So, no change tied to the launcher there, it’s the same policies and agreements that were already in place for all of our games.

What games are going to get the launcher?
Most of our upcoming PC titles will have the launcher. It will also be introduced for a selection of our existing titles, prioritizing those that can benefit the most from its features.

How does this relate to the “Paradox Launcher” found at play.paradoxplaza.com?
Ahhh! Nothing quite like a confusing naming scheme! The Paradox Launcher found at play.paradoxplaza.com is our “Distribution Client”, something similar to the Steam Client if you will. This client development has been on the back burner for some time while the team has been focused on the “splash screen” launcher you are probably here to read about.

In a not too far off future (we hope), these two functions - splash screen and distribution client - will be consolidated for those of our customers who choose to play through the PDX Distribution system. Other users shouldn’t notice any change from the current situation, though.

So what are all these features then?
The launcher does a number of things, it’s kind of our swiss-army-knife for Paradox games! Not all games necessarily have all of those features implemented yet, but I’ll give you a shortlist of fun stuff!
  • GDPR compliance
  • Login and account creation
  • Single-sign-on with distribution platform (Steam, Microsoft, more in the pipeline)
  • Account connection (Steam, Microsoft, more in the pipeline)
  • Resume from last session
  • DLC activation / deactivation
  • Mods installation (For all non-steam users)
  • Mods management
    • Load order
    • Activation / deactivation
  • Mods upload (Steam Workshop, PDX Mods)
  • Game settings (typically settings that would require a restart of the game)
… and probably more depending on when you read this. Once again, your favourite game probably does not use every single one of these, but if the game team wanted to, the features are already in place.

That’s it folks. Hope it answers some of your questions, but if you have more, feel free to ask in the thread!

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
The mod part of the launcher seems worse than before, i can see less items on my list now than before, now i have to scroll twice as much as before (i know its not that critical but it is REALLY annoying), and now i cant even see if my mods are outdated or not? Before i could see it with a red symbol, now its nothing, i get a info as i start the game - great, that means i have to probably restard the game multiple times in order to get a modded game running, so is there any way to either fix this or go back to the old one?

Hi there! We are looking at various different ways to make the mods list easier to navigate, but we'll need a bit of time to implement and QA any changes we make. Initially we are looking at enumeration of the mods and a search function so you can locate the correct mod to toggle. Rest assured that this area will be iterated on continuously!

As for the "outdated mods" warning, it's present in the launcher but the Stellaris team did not have time to implement it for this patch. Be sure to bug Jamor about it, I'm sure he'll love me more for it ;)

Playing in an early 2011 MacBook Pro (OS 10.13.6 High Sierra).

You have been heard - Our QA has had some problems sourcing older hardware, but we are working on it! Have you tried launching the game directly without the launcher? Admittedly not a great workaround, as you can't easily toggle mods and dlc, but it might just get you playing anyway?

the launcher isn't working well , aftet I closed it keeps working in background , and there is not a way to close , doenst show in task !

It's hard to know what the problem is with so little information... Are you playing on Linux perhaps? If so, a quick
Code:
%> killall cpatch
should do the trick.

Seriously, I’d like to be able to tweak and customise the launcher a little.

Modding the mod manager? Launcherception? Not bad, not bad!
In all honesty, some parts of the launcher are in fact user serviceable - But that is not supported by neither launcher, not game team so figuring out what can be done is up to you ;)

In light of this, I would whole-heartedly recommend adding an alphabetical sorting mechanism to the Stellaris version of the Paradox launcher, as otherwise, it is extremely cumbersome to manually order the mods. Workarounds like adding your mod list to workshop favorites, unsubscribing from all of them, launching the launcher, exiting the launcher and then going into workshop favorites, sorting them into alphabetical order and then subscribe to them in that order doesn't seem to work 100%, with many mods ending up in arbitrary places within the list even so.

Furthermore, there seems to be some issues with the mod interface not correctly interacting with the load order when the game is launched, as I have seen several mods being reset to a seemingly arbitrary point in the mod list (that incidentally often ruins the compatibility-based priority) after the game is launched and exited. I do not know whether this is a launcher- or game-end issue, however.

As we speak, we are looking at how to improve the situation for "high volume of mods" - The very first items is already being designed: Scrollbars, mods numbering and "search mods". It'll take us a few weeks to get these out the door due to QA requirements (yes, we do do QA). Further improvements will come, but the order and priority is not set at the moment.

Load order glitches is a new bug report - If you can find a way to reproduce it reliably, we'd love to have your bug report!

Alright, alright, since you are all asking for it anyway, I'll spill the beans. I was going to hold on to them until we were closer to release of the stuff, but enough already. You'll have the announcement now.

Upcoming feature: Play Sets
Since many of our players use collections of mods to play in certain ways, we'll be introducing a feature we call "play sets" where you can collect a set of mods (and ultimately DLC) into a configuration that can be flipped on or off much like a single mod can be currently. Only a single play set will be active at a time, and they can contain an arbitrary number of mods - The contained mods can also be individually be activated and deactivated.

A play set will be able to contain a certain version of a mod, meaning that you can make play sets for older versions of the game - Conceptually you can rollback, activate your legacy play set and play just as you used to. Please note that this is only for PDX Mods, as Steam mods does not support mod versioning in any sensible way.

Current status and ETA
The backend functionality for PDX Mods is largely in place, but due to other obligations the launcher implementation of this is lagging behind schedule a bit. As you may imagine, there are several tricky pieces to fit together to make this puzzle work and you are unlikely tosee much of this before late Q1. Yes, that is quite some ways off, which is why I was hesitant to out this already.

I know this is probably low on the list right now, but do you have any plans for importing/exporting load orders? It would help to be able to share a little text file that other players (MP!) can just load and go.

Totally not thinking about the game coming up in like 4 days or anything...

We are, in fact, planning something similar but our solution will build on play sets. That is so far into the future that I can't be convinced to out it though - Also that will require support from the game teams themselves, meaning an even longer time-to-market.

After repeated attempts, I managed to isolate the load order glitch to a single pair of compatibility patches, but converting them into local mods has resolved the issue, and the launcher now correctly remembers their position in the mod load order and launches the game accordingly.

Good to have a workaround, but locating the bug would be even better - Would you mind terribly sending in a support ticket with the repro so we can have a look at it?

What is the volume of mods present on PDX Mods compared to steam workshop (last time I checked it was insignificant to many)?

Depends on the game. For Stellaris obviously the Steam Workshop is huge and PDX Mods small (100-ish mods at the moment). For games that have had better PDX Mods integration longer, for example Surviving Mars, the situation is different. Also don't forget - PDX Mods is available for everyone, not just for Steam customers. For some games, this also includes console players

Is there a plan to close workshop / migrate existing mods to PDX Mods?

I can't envision a game that would do such a thing. I have certainly heard no whispers of it happening.

Will the launcher allow PDX Mods on steam version or we need all to migrate to the only version designed to be usable with a versioned list of mods?

Not quite sure what the question is, but I'll have a stab: We have no way of offering mod versioning on Steam Workshop, the functionality is simply not there. You can already mix and match PDX Mods with Steam Workshop mods - The launcher will pick up your subscriptions from https://mods.paradoxplaza.com

@Jamor Please relate those suggestions to your Launcher_V2 Devs, and guys please upvote this for him to see. Oh and have a good PDXCon guys!

Don't worry - I see all posts in this thread. We are hard at work debugging the wonky load order and expect a fix relatively soon. The sorting / searching is going to have to wait a bit, since that is a new chunk of functionality that needs to go through the acceptance with the games before being pushed out the door ;)

Thanks btw! I hope the PDXCon announcements and content will be fun!

Launcher 2019.10.3.1 has just gone out and auto-update should take care of making it available to all non-Microsoft Store players (technical reasons). This launcher version contains a hotfix for the load order "wonkiness" and will consistently cause mods to load top-first-bottom-last.

A special thanks goes to @Caligula Caesar for helping us out with a very solid reproduction and feedback on the fix!

Tactical question: In there launcher, where can I see the checksum of the game? It only shows some hash, but that doesn't seem to correspond to the checksum given on the forum.

Unless I'm mistaken (and I might be, because this computer does not have Stellaris on it, which I assume is the game you refer to - as opposed to Imperator, Planetfall, EUIV or Prison Architect) then the checksum would be the last bit of the long hash you see in the launcher. The value shown (the full hash) is a configurable value and thus decided by the game team.

A pop up when you open the game.
Incorrect, because...
Unless I somehow missed it in the last couple days (I haven't had much time to play anything) there was nothing that told you before that pop up. If it's been changed, then great.
...you somehow did ;) The Stellaris guys worked double-time and the 2.4.1 hotfix did in fact add this functionality, meaning the launcher can now show the "outdated mod" warning.

After confirming our load orders and modlists were the same, we both went in. Our checksums in game were identical as well as version and build numbers. When we attempted to join a game in the browser, we found that not only did our checksum differ from what was listed on our own screen in game, but differed from one another even though we had the same mods installed.

Generally, once you are in-game the launcher has done its bit and is dead and gone. If the in-game checksums match, it would seem that the mods have been loaded in the same order and your MP session should work. Why the MP hash would differ form the in-game hash... I guess you'll have to ask the game team unfortunately!

Two things: Please give us the option to make the load order anti-alphabetical. This has simply to do with the fact how the old stellaris launcher used to load mods. It used to sort them alphabetically and loaded the highest mod last. This is the reason why compatability mods have ! at the start of their name. If we can recreate this, then the new launcher won't destroy thousands of work hours by the modders, which in no doubt will frustrate them.

Something to keep in mind when discussing launcher features is that the launcher is indeed a shared resource for multiple games. As such, game specific workarounds or features will generally take a back seat to stuff reusable across all the games that use the launcher. I'm not saying we won't introduce such a feature, but I'll ask you to temper your expectations - we'll probably try easing the pain in a more general way.

Second: Is there any sort of cache for local mods? I'm asking because I changed the name of a local mod (I'm not sibscribed to it on steam) and after opening the new launcher it still displays the old name.

We do cache mod metadata (but not actual mod content) in order to work well in the offline use case - Local mods, though, are per definition offline and should not need such caching. I'll have a look to see if we are being overzealous or if we do it for some type of performance reason.

The launcher seems to be messing around with some of the files, but it has not touched the "settings.txt" from the "Stellaris" directory

The launcher does not, by design, touch any game-specific files - This was a design choice early on, due to the fact that different games simply do things differently and we can't possibly test that many code paths.