• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

olivenkranz

Imperator Enjoyer
53 Badges
May 13, 2020
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Hearts of Iron IV: By Blood Alone
  • Hearts of Iron 4: Arms Against Tyranny
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Imperator: Rome Deluxe Edition
  • Hearts of Iron IV: La Resistance
  • Hearts of Iron IV: No Step Back
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Imperator: Rome - Magna Graecia
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Cities: Skylines Industries
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • Europa Universalis 4: Emperor
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Cities: Skylines - Campus
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
Philetairos Attalid had served as governor of Asia for Antigonos the One-Eyed when he died. In the years preceding his death, more and more provinces escaped his control, as the other Diadochi commanded his attention. When the Asian Greeks demanded freedom, he granted it. On his deathbed, Antigonos Monophtalmos also granted Pergamon its freedom, with Philetairos Attalid as the ruler. Once Philetairos received the news, he began to prepare, because he knew that without lands, allies and riches, the cursed Macedonians would take his precious city soon.
When Philetairos arrived in Pergamon as its ruler for the first time, it was barely more than the city istelf and its pastures.
Bildschirmfoto 2021-05-09 um 15.10.44.png

However he had prepared well and he soon found an extremely skilled mercenary at the head of a big band. In the mean time, a civil war had broken out, and the rebels sat safely in Abydos. Phuletairos saw his chance, and he attacked the rebbelious Aeolians and defeated them in battle. Soon thereafter he attacked the other side in the Aelioan civil war since they were severly weakened. The Ionians had come to help their allies, the Aeolians, but they too were defeated, and soon Philetairos' domain extended from the Hellespont the coast down to Miletos.
Bildschirmfoto 2021-05-09 um 15.27.57.png

Soon Philetairos set his eyes onto Miletos, the city of the great mathematician Thales, for the city was weak, and its allies weaker still. Soon, after a series of battles, Pergamon emerged as the victor, and Miletos and most of Caria fell under its dominion.

Bildschirmfoto 2021-05-09 um 15.28.20.png

Emboldened by his previous successes, Philetairos thought he could succed where even the Besieger had failed: Rhodes. The beautiful city, with its Acropolis and Statue to Helios, were to become one of the crown jewels of his realm. This was the thought of Philetairos, and he attacked the Rhodians. While his campaign was not a failure, he didn't succeed where he wanted, and could only seize the remaining coast of Caria that was not under his rule.
Around this time, Philetairos befriended two men, both Macedonian. One governed Tharce, the other Antigonid Asia. Philetairos, with his usual charm, since how would his men follow him into battle so often, convinced his two friends to abandon their homelands, and to join him in his quest to establish a new realm, like Alexander once did. This convinced the two men, and hneceforth Pergamon controlled the passage between Thrace and Macedon and acquired the second part of its Asian dominion. In his reach to folow in his idol's footsteps, Philetairos followed the Egyptian practice of worshipping Alexander as his god of war.
Then he went and conquered the Asian greeks near the Bosporus, for it was his will. His will saw a border not pleasant to the eye, and that must have been resolved.
Bildschirmfoto 2021-05-09 um 15.28.44.png

Discouraged by his defeat, Philetairos turned to his land and decided to improve it, for it was not to the task he decided it must do. Since he ascended to the throne 22 years ago, he had not failed like this.
While he had always been a pious man and knew a entertained populace was a happy polulace, he recognized the need to build more temples and theaters, for his people were growing in number. Under the aegis of Hermes, Dionysos Kathegemon and Athena new cities were created: among them Hiera Germe, its honey served even on the tables of the King, and Pionai, its glass so desired, that only the most noble of citizens could buy it.Their holy sites in Pergamon itself, Ilion, the mythical Troy, and Halikarnassos, the city with the marvel of a tomb.
He also reconized, that his Aeolian peoplealone wouln't be wnough, and that the local Macedonians and Mysians were necessary to pull his realm forward; thus he granted them citizenship. Other, smaller cultures, were not important enough to be anything more than freemen, and thus they remained freemen, the citizenship naught but a dream.
After Pergamon recovered and improved itself, Philetairos decided he would try his luck again, and take Rhodes this time. After years of warfare, the Lycians, Cretans and other allies of the Rhodians defending in the mountains and on the sea, he finally managed to take the city he dreamt about so long. Rhodes was finally his, and Crete was to become his vassal.
Bildschirmfoto 2021-05-09 um 15.29.09.png

With the coast of Lycia and Rhodes under his control, Philetairos thought to connect his lands in Bythinia and Thrace, and off to war he went again. His wife was all too often alone, and so it was no surprise that he had not been with child, but she was faithful - yet her husband was not, for soon after he finished his conquest of Bythinia and Mariandynia, a son was presented to him, of his loins. He hid him, but ensured the kid could grow up and even recognized him as his son, years later. To flee his shame, he marched onto yet another city, and Kelainai and its dominion fell.
Bildschirmfoto 2021-05-09 um 15.29.46.png

After defeating the Phrygians of Kelainai, Philetairos marched into Pamphylia. The war promised to be long and difficult, but unexpectedly the Egyptians declared war, their intent surely to retake the lost lands in Pisidia and Pymphylia that had betrayed them just a few years ago. Philetairos knew he couldn't waste anymore ressources on the forts of the Pamphylians, and withdrew with only Phaselis as his prize. Enraged that the egyptians dared to interrupt his conquest of new, rich lands, his armies marched to Kadoi and Sagalassos. Soon the two cities fell, but the armies couldn't push further into egyptian territory because the Egyptians had landed in Elaia and threatened his City of Parchment, and the vassasl in Kos threatened Rhodes.
Finally, the egyptian armies were driven back, and Kos was occupied, but just as Synnada fell to Philetairos' army, the Macedonians declared war, to conquer Rhodope, that was once gifted to Philetairos by his friend so many years ago. In a dilemma again, he sought peace with the Egyptians. The Egyptians, weary of war, gave him their Pisidian lands and the Island of Kos. Peace and Trade once more began to rule their relationship.
The Macedonians were beaten decidedly at Amphipolis and Abdera, but their reinforcements were strong. Philetairos and the Macedonians agreed that no firther bloodshed was needed. A white peace was decided upon.
Now that his forces were free again, and after they recovered, Pergamon once more beheld the lands of Pamphylia in her gaze, and soon she marched to war again. This time, Pamphylia would be conquered for good.
In the decades since the conquest of Bythinia much had happened, and on the eve of his life, Philetairos could proudly watch back, and see the realm he had built up, through his and his people's hard work. Among others, he had bought the port city of Trapezous on the coast of the Black Sea. Pergamon released it as a vassal, for she knew that it would be more useful indepeendant. Philetairos wife sadly passed away, but he remarried. His only legitimate child, a daughter, was the fruit of their union. And while he had recognized his bastard son, it would be his much more capable nephew, Eumenes, who would inherit the throne. Philetairos had been king for 40 years now, and his succession was decided.
Bildschirmfoto 2021-05-09 um 15.08.52.png

Now 82 years old, after 55 years of rule, of war and peace, of building and destroying cities, the soul of Philetairos Attalid left his body, and his nephew Eumenes, son of his brother Eumenes, ascended to the throne. As was his uncle, so is Eumenes very capable and he has the necessary tool,s to continue his uncle's legacy.

Attachments

• Bildschirmfoto 2021-05-09 um 15.28.44.png
    Bildschirmfoto 2021-05-09 um 15.28.44.png
    8,7 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
  • 5Like
Reactions:
Here is the final save file for those who are interested. I have a few others (from where the pictures are).
Edit: Only the final save now which is here.

Attachments

• 510.2.22 - Pergamon DEATH.rome
    10,7 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
The reign of Eumenes 510-529 AUC​
Eumenes was in many ways a capable man who had the skill and drive to move mountains, that said he was quite elderly when he took the throne and there were concerns about his lack children.
Skärmbild (19).png

Pergamon had under eumenes uncle gone from a small city state in asia minor to the dominant power in the region. Pergamons power was not unchallanged however. To the west macedon was a strong contender for the rule over the aegean and to the east the cappadocians in Pontus held sway over large swathes of land in anatolia. A small part of anatolia even swore loyalty to the egyptians and the selucids held sway in Cilicia so Pergamon were far from the only power in Anatolia.
Skärmbild (20).png

Eager to prove himself to his subjects Eumenes spent the treasury on mercenaries and prepared for a war against the cappadocians.
Skärmbild (24).png

Less than 8 months after his crowning Eumenes allready led his country into war.
Skärmbild (25).png

Some smaller anatolian tribes were incorporated during the war.
Skärmbild (26).png

Having befriended a young macedonian prince Eumenes invited him to Pergamon.
Skärmbild (27).png

Having no children of his own Eumenes adopted the prince and hoped to groom him as a successor.
Skärmbild (28).png

The cappadocians were forced to give up near half of their territory including their capital for peace. This would if nothing else make Pergamon the strongest power in northern anatolia.
Skärmbild (29).png

After teh pontic war a bunch of minor campaigns were declared to conquer all the minor kingdoms in the area.
Skärmbild (31).png
Skärmbild (32).png
Skärmbild (33).png
Skärmbild (34).png

Having cleande up northern anatolia we showed our supremacy not just on the battlefield but also in sports with Agaios of pergamon winning the olympics.
Skärmbild (35).png

Having conquered deep into anatolia it was decided that an effort would be made into converting the anatolians to hellenism.
Skärmbild (36).png

The antigonid kingdom was invaded which dragged in egypt.
Skärmbild (37).png

Althought not as compleate as it could be we were content with chasing 2 of the diadochi out of anatolia.
Skärmbild (38).png

With much of anatolia remembering persian rule we embraced these anatoli-persian influences.
Skärmbild (39).png

Macedonia had recently conquered athens and much of mainland greece. To make sure that we would keep control of the aegean Eumenes invaded the athenian government in exile in 520 which dragged in their nesotic allies.
Skärmbild (40).png

It was a crushing victory for eumenes.
Skärmbild (41).png

Now while everything were going well in pergamon a behemoth called rome were expanding into the area. Not somethign that we need to worry about for now but it will likely become a issue for future generations.
Skärmbild (42).png

Thrace was invaded in 521 to increase our influence in the region.
Skärmbild (43).png

was over 100 ws so seperate peaced 2 smaller nations.
Skärmbild (44).png
Skärmbild (45).png

With these new conquests we cemented pergamonese rule over the region.
Skärmbild (46).png

With our recent thracian conquests we had a border with rome.
Skärmbild (49).png

Rome was pretty simular to us in strength.
Skärmbild (50).png
Skärmbild (51).png

While Macedon was quite abit weaker but still not a foe we could just roll over.
Skärmbild (52).png

Greek mathematicians introduced a new number.
Skärmbild (53).png

Feeling his ailing health Eumenes decided to spend his last few years preparign pergamon for his chosen successor.
Skärmbild (54).png

Rome invaded macedon in 524.
Skärmbild (62).png

Hiketas the macedonian prince was officially recognized as the heir to the throne.
Skärmbild (64).png

Rome took minor gains in northern macedon.
Skärmbild (66).png

As a last recognized 2 expeditions into southern Anatolia and northern Thrace were launched.
Skärmbild (67).png
Skärmbild (68).png

The smaller greek cities in thrace were quick to surrender.
Skärmbild (69).png

The anatolians were less so but still surrendered.
Skärmbild (70).png

And the last remnants of the antigonid realam were wiped of from the map.
Skärmbild (71).png
Skärmbild (72).png

Eumenes felt in his bones that these would be his last conquests.
Skärmbild (73).png

Nevertheless preperations for further campaigns has been laid for his successor.
Campaigns against cappadocia was a possibility.
Skärmbild (74).png

As were campaigns into macedon and making the macedonian prince reclaim his homeland.
Skärmbild (75).png

A year later Eumenes died.
Skärmbild (76).png

Althought he ruled for just under 2 decades Eumenes doubled pergamon in size and almost doubled it in population. Althought some critique can be applied for destabalizing the country and overextending it's resources Eumenes more than lived up to his namesake.
Skärmbild (82).png

Skärmbild (81).png

Hiketas chose Attalos as his royal name.
All hail king Attalos the first of his name.
Skärmbild (79).png

Attachments

• Skärmbild (21).png
    Skärmbild (21).png
    2,8 MB · Views: 0
  • Skärmbild (22).png
    Skärmbild (22).png
  • Skärmbild (23).png
    Skärmbild (23).png
  • Skärmbild (47).png
    Skärmbild (47).png
    3,2 MB · Views: 0
  • Skärmbild (48).png
    Skärmbild (48).png
  • Skärmbild (55).png
    Skärmbild (55).png
    2,9 MB · Views: 0
  • Skärmbild (56).png
    Skärmbild (56).png
    2,9 MB · Views: 0
  • Skärmbild (57).png
    Skärmbild (57).png
  • Skärmbild (58).png
    Skärmbild (58).png
    3,3 MB · Views: 0
  • Skärmbild (59).png
    Skärmbild (59).png
  • Skärmbild (60).png
    Skärmbild (60).png
    3,6 MB · Views: 0
  • Skärmbild (61).png
    Skärmbild (61).png
    3,3 MB · Views: 0
  • Skärmbild (63).png
    Skärmbild (63).png
  • Skärmbild (65).png
    Skärmbild (65).png
  • Skärmbild (77).png
    Skärmbild (77).png
    2,7 MB · Views: 0
  • Skärmbild (78).png
    Skärmbild (78).png
  • Skärmbild (80).png
    Skärmbild (80).png
  • 1620587500074.png
    1620587500074.png
    4 MB · Views: 0
  • 1620587503345.png
    1620587503345.png
    4 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
  • 3Like
Reactions:
1620767868274.png

My name is Attalos and this is the first year of my reign in Pergamon. I am the son of the famous Alexandros Antipatrid from Macedon but was abducted by Eumenes orders to become his heir apparent.

Eumenes died of Gout 4 days ago, and he has left me a nation that has aggressively expanded into Anatolia and Thrace. The nation stability is suffering from this expansion and at the current level the recently conquered provinces are suffering a lot of unrest at the point of open rebellion on many of them:

1620767907904.png

I need to do something about it, and my first decisions are to perform a Divine Sacrifice to the Gods, exempt from Census Tax all integrated cultures, strip the citizenship of Aramaic people, give noble rights to Macedonian and Mysian people, give right of appeal and land ownership protection to Aeolians and replace the awfully corrupt Governors of Cilicia and Phyrgia, Aristophon Orestid and Deopos Orestid:

1620767945719.png
1620767952426.png

My next step is to increase my chances of technological breakthroughs, thus appointing the best and gifted researchers on each field, like the polymath Ekdemos Attalid:
1620767975749.png

Third, I have reshuffled my government to put forward the most brilliant men of the prominent families in Pergamon. I want peace with them, but we will see what the future holds.

Fourth, the nation lacks a legion, I need to reform as soon as possible to get our first legion and start drilling it to get the maximum military experience possible for the wars to come. Because there will be war.

Fifth, the economy could improve, many cities are only producing two surplus goods and they need more slaves from the province’s settlements to be more profitable. I will move them right away to the cities producing the most valuable goods. But I must take care that cities remain a beacon of our integrated cultures and religion.

Of course, founding new cities in high valuable goods will be a priority, too. I will start founding cities in Bageis, Phazemon, Korniaspa, Harpasa and Podalia.

Finally, there is the matter of the succession. Now, Nikokreon Attalid is the Primary Heir to the throne but I do not want to repeat what Eumenes did to me. Thus, I will change the Laws of Pergamon to an elective succession.
Third Year of My Reign

We have won the Olympic games! Our Champion Agaios Alexandrid has made Pergamon very proud!

1620768048191.png

Sixth year of my Reign

I have reached my lifelong objective:

1620768072328.png

This opens the position to king for anyone in the nation that is deemed worthy. Now the best candidates are these notable men from Pergamon:

1620768092462.png

But I do not see our Olympics champion, Agaios Alexandrid. I am going to help him a bit because I like him, and meritocracy shall prevail!

On a completely different matter, the ex-governor Deopodis Orestid has been caught red-handed. He never recovered from the lost of the governorship due to its corruption and now look at him:

1620768121917.png

I have decided that the Dungeon will straight him out, poor Deopos.

Seventh Year of my Reign

I have decided to fight for the Antipatros Legacy. Was not my father Kassandros Antipatrid? I will save Macedon lands from the enemies at their doors. Macedon has become week and they need a true champion to protect them.

We have achieved claims in all Greece, now it is time to protect our fellow Macedonians.

It is time for the Pan-Hellenic Government!

1620768151009.png

Tenth Year of my Reign

Agaios Alexandrid is now one of the four candidates. I may have something to do with it when I adopted him and gave him my daughter in marriage.

But Croesus Killistratid is a formidable competitor:

1620768180721.png

We have the first Stratos! And I am going to give it to Agaios to defend Macedonia.

1620768202035.png

Finally, on a sad note, Deopos Orestid has escaped prision and now lies in Crete plotting to come back and take the throne of Pergamon. We will see to that!

1620768220148.png

Eleventh Year of my Reign

We attack Macedon! We cannot wait for Rome to destroy my forefather's land. Macedon does not want to be our ally because some b***s*** of competing power and bad opinion. We must defend the Macedonian people from their Imbecilic rulers.

Fourteen Year of my Reign

The war with Macedon is going well, and about time, because Rome has declared war to Macedon. We need to rally all the Macedonians under the Pergamon flag to oust these Romans from Greece!

Pella has fallen and we now have a foothold in Macedon. Next step is to defend the Greek people.

1620768255444.png

And my Olympic Champion is the best candidate for succession, Hurrah!

1620768275259.png

Sixteenth Year of my Reign

I am ailing from my wounds in Battle, I have left all the levies from Asia to the First Stratos to Agaios. I feel my dead is nearby. Before I go, I want to unite the Cappadocian people from Pergamon with their brothers in Pontus. Anatolia must be secured if we must fight Rome.

Eighteen Year of my Reign

The war with Pontus was ending when the Great Power of Rome declared on us! This was not unexpected but too soon, too soon.

1620768304186.png

Twenty first Year of my Reign

The war with Rome has been bloody and many of our people have died, but we have defended our territory and gained the ancient province of Pelagonia to Pergamon!

Twenty second Year of my Reign

I have poor health; I need to make peace with myself and achieve the greatness in life that my reign deserves. However, I am worried with my successor, Agaios is 66 years old. With Perfect Health but old like me.

For this reason, I have arranged that all my four daughters, Plathane, Hediste, Choirine and Euphrosyne to seek a spouse to transmit my legacy onward.

1620768338192.png

Plathane, my first daughter, is married to Agaios but they have got only daughters. This may be the family tradition.

Death of Attalos I Attalid

Inserting image...

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions:
1st DEC 554 - 8th AUG 563
The Reign of Agaios I 'the Hellene' Orestid

Agaios Orestid was in Thrace with the Stratos of Asia when news arrived that Basileus Attalos was dead. Leaving command to his most senior general, he boarded a ship and set
sail to Pergamon for the election Ceremony. There, to no one's surprise, he was chosen to succeed Attalos and so became Basileus. From humble origins to Olympic victor, from promising commander to Basileus, he had come far.

00Aristophon, Future King.png
Aristophon, new general of the army and a promising candidate

The first months of his reign were spent appeasing the great nobles of the realm, delivering on favors and arranging further deals. As part of this process he was forced to
support Ariarathes, patriarch of the still-revered Attalid family, as his successor. Though it seems no concrete plans had yet been made, it is clear that Agaios had preferred his commander Aristophon for the role. Nonetheless it was done, and Ariarathes was given a prominent role in court to cement his position.

01The Attalid Hopeful.png
Ariarathes, scion of the Attalids

His legitimacy established, Agaios immediately set to the task he had envisioned for years; to free Hellas from the Latin barbarians. To this end, old and underused fortifications
throughout Anatolia were demolished and reclaimed. Instead, the European borders would be his focus. Trade with the Seleucids was reopened, and Agaios even negotiated for a band of war elephants as a gesture of trust. Scholars of Pergamon were patronized to fuel innovation and culture in the city, and Agaios began parlaying his fame and Olympic status into a message for the people. Hellas will be free, he proclaimed, and we the Asian Hellenes shall be the liberators.

02Founding of Troesmis.png
One of the earliest beneficiaries of Agaios's renovations, the burgeoning fort-city of Troesmis

As infrastructure was developing, Agaios also made contact with Phrygian mercenaries and added them to his forces. In 557 he began mustering his armies for the war on Rome.
While holding court at the old seat of the Argeads and organizing the military, news reached him that Ariarathes had fallen gravely ill. Seeing his chance, Agaios assigned Aristophon control of the entire northern front of the upcoming campaign. They hoped to shower Aristophon in glory to overshadow the now-ailing Attalid claimant. To further this plan, Agaios had loyal retainers still Pergamon spread exaggerated rumors of Ariarathes's weakness. It was hardly neccessary, as the old and fragile man soon stepped down from his position before he could be embarrssed by his deteriorating condition.

03Attalid Illness.png
Ariarathes Attalid just before his sickness struck

Putting courtly concerns behind him, Agaios made the final preparations for war. Supplies were packed, soldiers had gathered, and the homefront was stable.
04Preparations are done.png
The eve of war

Unbeknownst to the Pergamine Basileus, Rome had recently been forced to reinforce it's northern Italian provinces against further Celtic aggression. So it was that when the hosts
of Asia marched into Roman territory, they were caught unaware. As previously established, Aristophon moved north into Dardania while the mercenaries he commanded were ordered to break through the mountains into Illyria from the east. Agaios marched into Thessaly alongside Anaxippos the governor of Thrace and his troops, as well as an additional company of mercenaries. The key cities of the Thessalian plain were swiftly occupied, and Agaios camped there with the majority of his forces while a contingent put the city of the Antipatrids under siege. Meanwhile, Greeks from the Aegean islands had gathered under the Pergamine governor of the region and sailed for Attica, capturing the sad ruins of once great Athens and securing the region unopposed.

06Invasion begins.png
An auspicious beginning
As if to sully this promising start, Anaxippos had discovered the Basileus's intentions with Aristophon and was inspired to make his own bid for the throne. While camped in
Thessaly, it seems the governor began making overtures to the local Greeks, questioning the competence of their common-born Basileus, and insinuating malevolent intentions for his 'free' Hellas. But Agaios was not camped far from Anaxippos, and loyalists brought him word quickly. Without a second thought, he marched on the upstart who surrendered without a fight before the imposing ruler. He was stripped of his governorship and returned to Asia in disgrace, though he was mercifully left free and in possession of all his property. Anaxippos is not mentioned again for some time and he presumably lived the rest of Agaios's days in cowed silence.
07Pretender thwarted.png
A limp rebellion

The quiet war continued in this way for months, with only minor skirmishes with levies in Dardania to mark a Roman resistance. The barbarian lands of far-northern Thrace
were occupied first, then the hills of Dardania, putting Illyria under siege. Finally, in June 558 the city of Antipatria surrendered to the Pergamine army. Thessaly was pacified, and southern Greece was now open. Uprooting their camps, the Basileus and half his men moved south towards Delphi while the rest crossed the Pindus Mountains into Aetolia.

08Liberation of Antipatria.png
Surrender of Antipater's City

Around this time, Aristophon's push into Illyria was stalled by the appearance of the first proper Roman army. Landing in Taulantia, the army moved north to cut off the
Pergamines. Aristophon would not offer them battle immediately however, instead retreating into the mountains and avoiding the foe for a time. There is some suggestion supply issues played a part in this decision, some of of his troops having suffered in the crossing of the mountains into Illyria.
09First real resistance.png
The Roman counterattack

Back in the south, Agaios was making quick progress. Epirus and Aetolia were almost liberated, and the Basileus led the siege of Delphi to victory himself. Afterwards a
donation was made to the temple to ensure the polis of Agaios's goodwill. By this time the Aegean army had captured Chalkis and Corinth as well, and the ruler moved on to join them at the gates of the Peloponnese.
10Liberation of Delphi.png
The Gods are just

In Illyria, the Roman forces had pushed back the front and were moving into the mountains themselves. It was then Aristophon chose to strike, catching the Latin army from
behind. It was a devastating victory for the Pergamine, leaving nearly three-quarters of the Roman army dead or injured. Further resistance in Illyria remained light until the end of the war, and the previous gains were quickly established. Skirmishes in Dardania and Moesia had continued throughout, and they were now similarly turning decisively in the favor of the Hellenes.

11Counterattack countered.png
The first great victory

In Corinth, Basileus Agaios was approached by a local philosopher with questions. They arranged a private dinner, and afterwards it is known the man entered the employ of the
Hellenic ruler as a valued adviser. The exact nature of their conversation is lost, but it seems Agaios impressed the great thinker with his skill at leadership.

12An excellent scholar.png
The scholar and the king

As Agaios was finishing preparations to march into the Peloponnese, word arrived from the east: the Romands had sailed right around Greece and landed in Thrace. Byzantion
and Bithynia had both fallen and the army moved on Phrygia. Another force had landed on the Pamphylian coast. A runner was sent north to Aristophon, and the general was ordered to leave a small contingent behind in Illyria while he gathered as much of the northern troops as possible to stop the Anatolian invasions. Trusting in his commander, the Basileus pressed onward to Argos and the liberation of the Peloponnese.
13Anatolian invasions.png
The cunning of the Latins

With the same ease that characterized the rest of the southern campaign, Basileus Agaios took Argos and Sparta in quick succession, both cities eager to abandon Rome.
Megalopolis fell shortly after, and soon only Lepreon remained under Roman control. The king kept his army on a tight leash throughout the invasion, wishing to appear as a savior to the Greeks, but spoils were acquired nonetheless. These fueled the kings other obsession: scholarship. Perhaps inspired by the meeting in Corinth, Agaios redoubled his investment in academies, libraries, and other such institutions of learning. A grand complex was established in Pergamon with the Basileus's funding. After the war, smaller campuses would be founded in Ilion, Byzantion, and Pella.
14Spoils to schools.png
The first of many buildings in the Academy of Pergamon

Far removed from the cultured capital, one of the mercenaries left behind by Aristophon in Moesia entered the record by winning several close battles against barbarian
warriors employed by Rome. Without reinforcement by the Illyrian forces for many months, Gylippid and his band repelled three waves of Celtic and Dacian mercenaries. Afterwards, the captain was granted honorary citizenship in Pergamon in recognition of his deeds.
15Gylippid proves himself.png
The first of Gylippid's victories

In July 560 the war was winding down, as evidenced by the fall of the last Roman holdout in the Peloponnese. Aristophon was closing in on the Roman armies in Anatolia,
with one victory already driving them away from Kelainai. Illyria remained quiet, and while the barbarian north remained locked in skirmishes it would soon be settled when additional men from Illyria arrived to support Gylippid's mercenaries. Victory was close at hand.
16Last Roman fort falls.png
The Latins are removed from Hellas

In January, the Roman's second assault on Kelainai was rebuffed and hounded south where it joined the others in Pamphylia. There, the last battle of the war ended with
another resounding victory for Aristophon. At last, in early 561 envoys were sent to Rome to conclude a peace.
17Anatolia defended.png
Second battle of Kelainai

A more glorious victory could almost not be wished for as far as Agaios was concerned. From the Peloponnese to Hellenic Illyria, the Greeks were free of the Roman yoke. In
addition, the Romans agreed to grant increased autonomy to several of the old cities of Magna Graecia. Once more Hellenes ruled themselves in Tarentum, Croton, and Sipontum. Before returning to Asia, Agaios met with the last independent poleis of Messenia and Mantineia. With little cajoling they accepted the Basileus as their new Hegemon.
18Italiote cities freed.png
Hellas and Magna Graecia

With the Latins defeated and Greece under his control, Agaios returned to Pergamon in honor. There, the people hailed him Megas Basileus as he paraded through the city.
After brief deliberation with the council, he accepted the title and in May 561 he was crowned the first Megas Basileus of the Pergamine Empire.

19Megas Basileus.png
Glory to Pergamon!

20A Hellenic Empire.png
Map of the Empire of Pergamon, commissioned in May 561

Agaios was not the only hero of the hour, however. Aristophon's successful invasion of Illyria and defense of Anatolia had earned him much renown. Just as the two intended
at the outset of the war, there was now little opposition to the commander's right to succeed Agaios. The celebrations complete, Agaios was not one to stay idle. His next project, besides the patronage of scholarship, was the construction of new fortifications in the north. From the Danube to the Rhodopes, from there to the Pindus, and thence to the Adriatic, a series of earthworks and watchtowers was planned out to guard the heartlands of Hellenism from further Barbarian incursion.

21The War Hero.png
Aristophon 'the Axe', hero of Pergamon

And so the last years of Agaios's reign passed in peace. Provinces were administered and trade negotiated as life in the empire continued to grow brighter. Old and plagued
with gout, the Megas Basileus remained relatively passive in these years, hardly leaving the capital. The one exception was in March 562, where the aging ruler arranged to travel to Elis with a great entourage and many gifts to celebrate the first Olympiad free of Roman influence in decades. Along the way he stopped to commemorate the rededication of the Acropolis at Athens, the city now recovering after long being a ruin of it's former glory.
22Happy Olympiad.png
Happy Olympiad to all!

At last, on the 8th of August 563, Agaios I 'the Hellene' Orestid succumbed to his illness in bed, his short reign of 8 years nonetheless leaving a lasting
impression on the empire that sprang from the governorship of one Asian city over a hundred years before. He was succeeded by Aristophon I 'the Axe' Arkhid.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Book 1 - Rise to Power
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~​

I ARISTOPHON ELEUTHERIOS ARKHIDS, Megas Basileus of Pergamon, Lord Protector of the Hellenic League, Pharaoh of Lower Egypt and so on (for I shall not trouble you yet with all my titles) who was once, and not so long ago either, known to my friends and relatives and associates as “Aristophon the Axe”, or “That Aristophon”, or “Aristophon the Sad”, or at best as “Poor Uncle Aristophon”, am now about to write this strange history of my life; starting from my earliest childhood and continuing year by year until I reach the fateful point of change where, some fifteen years ago, at the age of sixty-one, I suddenly found myself caught in what I may call the “golden predicament” from which I have never since become disentangled.

I was born in the second year of the one-hundred and thirty-first Olympiad to parents of relatively little note....

[The next few pages appear to be covered in some sort of fermented fish sauce, and are unreadable.]

And thus it came to be that shortly after my campaign against the Romans, in the third year of the one-hundred and forty-sixth Olympiad, I was appointed Megas Basileus of the Arche Pergamou.

It is important for you to understand the situation that I found Pergamon in when I ascended the throne: Though the realm had been greatly expanded by the conquests of my predecessors, unrest was growing within the cities and the treasury had been left empty by prestige projects such as the fortification of the entire Anatolian coastline. Worse still, spending was out of control. The mercenaries that had been hired for the campaign against Rome were still growing fat on our pocket, and our governors had become accustomed to living on the state's expense instead of taking their due from their subjects.

1620828249089.png

Fiscal policy prior to the coronation of Aristophon (Mosaic found near Elaia, modern day Turkey)

It had always been my intention to lead a grand expedition into the heart of Egypt, but first I would have to make arrangements at home. Wages were cut, mercenaries dismissed and the fortifications along the borders streamlined. My only large expense during this period was an investment in the harbour infrastructure in several cities around the Aegean Sea to facilitate the expansion of the our long-neglected navy.

1620798731975.png

1620798752120.png

It was also during this time that I met the man who would become my livelong friend, Galba Duratus. Galba had been serving as Apothecary at the court of the king of the barbarians of Latobrigia along the Rhine river in the far north. Despite his barbarous ways (he insisted on wearing trousers and using something called "soap" to wash himself), Galba was a well educated man and an expert in the healing arts. Galba would eventually leave the Latobrigian court to find employ as Archiatros at my own court in Pergamon, and I credit him with the fact that I didn't throw myself off the cliff into the Celtius river on the multiple occasions when the tribulations of office almost became too much for me.

1620799716590.png

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Book 2 - War for Egypt
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~​

The opportunity for war that I had been so eagerly waiting for would finally come in the first year of the one-hundred and fourth-seventh Olympiad. It was at this time that the Basilissa of Egypt, Kleopatra, initiated a large invasion of the realm of Antiochos III of the Seleucids. Truthfully, the opportunity came somewhat too soon for my liking. Construction on the new fleet had not been finished and the Cappacodians under our rule had not yet been pressed into military service. This meant that our fleet would be no match for the Egyptians, and Anatolia would have to rely on what remained of the Walls of Agaios for its defence.

1620801780201.png
1620884664101.png

However, there was no time to lose - the Egyptians had already penetrated deeply into Seleucid territory, and once the Seleucids folded it would be right at the doorstep of our Anatolian possessions. While the war against the Seleucids lasted however, we could be certain that the Egyptian armies would be far from home, fighting in the hills of Syria and the plains along the Euphrates. Even if they were to immediately swing their troops around to bring them back home, we would hopefully be able to capture the Egyptian fortifications in the delta before they arrived.

1620885268827.png

(The Egyptian invasion of Syria, c.a. 565 AUC/189 BCE)

Accompanied by a large corps of engineers the royal army laid siege to Alexandria in a surprise attack that caught the Egyptians completely unaware, while the Macedonian levies fanned out to occupy the vulnerable cities of the Nile delta. On their way they encounter two enterprising locals, named Hyperbatid and Setnid who were in command of large forces of men and eager to take their share of plunder (you would think the Egyptian pharaohs would take issue with 50,000 armed men strolling around their heartlands...).

1620885706288.png

1620885803122.png

Due to the sudden nature of our attack the Egyptians had little means to resist. Thus Kleopatra, having concluded her war against Antiochos II, recognised the futility of racing back and instead decide to conduct a counter attack against Southern Anatolia. And she might well have succeeded if not for the treachery of her own countrymen. Setnid, the mercenary captain, offered to bring his men up north where they defeated the armies of the Egyptian commander Arlememe in the closely fought Battle of Olbe, and where they would continue to defend against repeated Egyptian forays until the end of the war.

1620802838505.png

1620886795038.png

Meanwhile, in the south our armies continued their rampage across Lower Egypt, capturing the Ptolemaic capital of Alexandria as well as Babylon Aigyptou, Memphis, Ptolemais Euergetis and the great fortifications at Pilousion. Support for the war at home was greatly enhanced by the unspeakable wealth our men brought back from the looted temples of Sekhmet, Ra and Ptah.

1620802148302.png

1620802821831.png

Soon our forces were in full control of lower Egypt and were starting to occupy land in the former border region of Palestine. Meanwhile, the counterattack into Anatolia had been foiled by Setnid and his men and Egypt allies and Carthage had failed to send any aid, being to busy fending off our subjects attacks into Sicily. And so it was that in fourth year of the one-hundred and forty-seventh Olympiad Kleopatra was forced to accept the surrender of all her possessions in Greece and in the Nile delta. With this war came to an end.

1620804427321.png

1620804824626.png

Book 3 - An Age of Prosperity

To celebrate the conquest of Lower Egypt I gave orders for the construction of a great lighthouse in Alexandria, large enough to bring in other in the known world to shame. The lighthouse will ensure that the trade route between Pergamon and Alexandria remains open and that our new lands in the Nile delta remain closely connected to our capital in Asia. But greater matters soon demanded my attention. With all of Hellas now under our control calls began to grow for the re-organisation of our empire into league that would protect the rights of Hellenes living within. And thus I was given the name Eleutherios, and our country got a new color (still not sure why this is important, but my cartographers insist it is).

1620888986991.png

(Dedication found at the Temple of Zeus in Olympia celebrating the formation of the Hellenic League, ca. 178 BCE)

I have also started the construction of a Grand Tomb for myself and my family. It is to be build in the small city of Hiera Germe, not far from Pergamon. This way future rulers of Pergamon can come to pay tribute to me without having to abandon matters state (non shall say that the duty to my office wasn't at the forefront of my mind at all times).

I shall decide how to use the complex around the tomb as soon as my stomach gets better. I haven't been able to keep much food down recently. Galba says it's "dysentery", but I'm sure it will pass soon.

1620807070490.png

Attachments

• 1620799897117.png
    1620799897117.png
    2,4 MB · Views: 0
  • 1620802170000.png
    1620802170000.png
    2 MB · Views: 0
  • 1620802355249.png
    1620802355249.png
    187,1 KB · Views: 0
  • 1620803203229.png
    1620803203229.png
    1,7 MB · Views: 0
  • 1620803410897.png
    1620803410897.png
    2,2 MB · Views: 0
  • 1620804751004.png
    1620804751004.png
    731,1 KB · Views: 0
  • 1620804899833.png
    1620804899833.png
    991,7 KB · Views: 0
  • 1620805071534.png
    1620805071534.png
    2 MB · Views: 0
  • 1620805542655.png
    1620805542655.png
    361,5 KB · Views: 0
  • 1620806008450.png
    1620806008450.png
    1,4 MB · Views: 0
  • 1620806196770.png
    1620806196770.png
    1 MB · Views: 0
  • 1620807047211.png
    1620807047211.png
    1,4 MB · Views: 0
  • 1620888699358.png
    1620888699358.png
    769,7 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
  • 1Like
  • 1Haha
Reactions:
Demochares Kallistratid ascended to the throne in Pergamon in his 44th yearm of life. Unlike his predecessors, from whom he inherited a large realm, he dind't like war much. He preferred building and founding cities. In his reign, the first Metropolis since Philetairos were established.
Bildschirmfoto 2021-05-14 um 20.05.07.png

The first thing he did after ascending to the throne, was to reorganize the army, for it was ineffiecient.
He did befriend two Egyptians, whom he entice to join his realm, and so did their dominiosn of Cilicia and Philistia.
Bildschirmfoto 2021-05-14 um 11.02.26.png
Bildschirmfoto 2021-05-14 um 11.19.30.png

After years of building, and accepting the Ancient cities of Taras and Croton as vassals, he decided to expulse the Macedonians. They were joined by the Egyptians. The opportunistic Romans declared jsut two days later.
Demochares panicked, simply took what he could - the Macedonian lands in Cilicia, but no inch of Egyptian soil, and wanted to ficus on the Italic threat. Unbeknowst to him, the Roman legions had landed in Sesamos and in Epirus and started to ravage his lands. He gave up on Greek Illyria, but swore revenge.
Five years later, on the 1st of June, he declared and took Dardania and the once lost Greek Illyria.
Bildschirmfoto 2021-05-14 um 13.05.23.png

Finishing his war with Romans soon, becaus he knew he'd die soon, he wanted to die in peace. On the 8th of January, just half a yera away from a 30 year long reign, he died, He'd be succeeded by Archagathos Arkhid, the governor of Thrace.

Attachments

• 634.1.9 - Hellenic League_DEATH.rome
    15,4 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
My aar will be out of sync with the 2 above me but here it is.

Archagathos 1 Arkhid were past his glory days when be became king. Many wondered if he even would survive more than a few years as he had struggled with his health for many years before taking the throne. If only they knew.
Skärmbild (160).png

Knowing his time on earth was small Archagathos decided to do the most with what little time he had left and decided to reunite our anatolian and our egyptian holdings.
Skärmbild (146).png

Carthaginian scum invaded hellas while our armies were in campaign in egypt and the levant.
Skärmbild (147).png

In about two years we had pushed the ptolomies out of the levant but since the war was going so well Archagathos decided to conquer the rest of Egypt.
Skärmbild (148).png
Skärmbild (149).png

Finally after just under five years of fighting Archagathos had conquered most of the levant/egypt and a decent chunk into arabia.
Skärmbild (150).png

Not content with owning most of Egypt Archagathos decided to invade all the smaller states in the region. Egypt even rallied against us once more since they had allied some of the minor warlords of the region, somethign that saw them stripped of most of the lands they had left.
Skärmbild (151).png
Skärmbild (152).png

Further punishing the ptolomies.
Skärmbild (153).png
Skärmbild (154).png

In just 9 years Archagathos had subdued the levant and Egypt and turned his eyes elsewhere.
Skärmbild (155).png

One worrying factor was that Archagathos health had only worsened over his 9 year rule.
Skärmbild (156).png

Nontheless a expeditions into blemmia and the unguarded selucid west were conducted.
Skärmbild (157).png

Unfortunately Archagathos would not see teh end of those conflicts as he died during his 10th year on the throne.
Skärmbild (158).png
Skärmbild (159).png

The reason i did a normal war vs selucids and not a imperial one is that i knew it was likely Archagathos would die and this way the player after me could easily peace out onyl for minor gains if they dident want to bother with a deathwar with the selucids.

Attachments

• Skärmbild (145).png
    Skärmbild (145).png
  • 1Like
Reactions:
1621045395545.png

It is one year since the dead of Archagatos Arkhids, the last king of the Hellenic League.

We are one of the four Great Powers of the known World with Seleukid Empire, Rome and Maurya.

But only we deserve to be considered Great Power. All others will bow to our will sooner or later.

For that I will keep the War with Seleukid and gain the regions of Assyria, Mesopotamia, Armenia and Colchis for the Hellenic League:

1621045395620.png

On the other hand, I have picked my designed successor, Nikanor Hektid, and gave him the command of the Stratos of Alexandria for the siege of Babylon.

He has been successful and merited the triumph to become “The Prince”.

1621045395710.png

Time will tell if he can achieve the popularity and prominence to become the elected candidate to succeed me.

I hope I can support him enough, because I am ailing from my depression lately.

Third Year

After making many gains, we are getting weary of this war with Seleukid. We take Assyra and Mesopotamia and prepare for the final showdown with Seleukid.

Fifth Year

Our empire is so vast that we do not need to trade with other nations. We produce internally everything we need. I have given orders to trade domestically and negate any benefit to our enemies.

There are only five countries that we import goods: 32 routes from the Bosporan Kingdom, 1 route from Anglia, another from Guthonia and one from Kush.

My advisors tell me that we are exporting all the surplus we produce except for food. This is not the case of the recently conquered province of Sittacene, where we produce surplus of Glass, Papyrus and Elephants that have no buyer yet. We will see to that:

1621045395761.png

Our main source of income are the papyrus produced in Pergamon and exported to the world

Eight Year

I have decided not to break truce with Seleukid and instead wage war with Carthage and end the Egyptian kingdom for the last time.

1621045395866.png
The expeditionary forces all alone on the sea

Fourteen Year

It is the second year than the Olympics have gone deserted. There are no champions in this World left?

1621045395918.png

My advisors are also telling me that we do not sell all the goods we produce. There is a shortage of market for our products.

Every time we invade new lands, instead of creating new opportunities, we close them.

Nevertheless, there are good news: Nikanor, “The Prince” is the best candidate for my succession:

1621045395951.png

Twentieth Year

We attack Seleukid now! They have a revolt, and we will use our imperial right to take what is rightfully ours.

It is a war of attrition, I won't survive it.

Twenty-fourth Year

Aaaand it is gone!

1621045396002.png

The succession went to The Arabian with 73 years old.. The Prince shall wait its turn:

1621045396082.png

Last edited:
Well, Pergamon is very much a blob.

Congrats on the conquests - especially defeating Rome.

• 3Like
Reactions: