• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Good video, very useful.

Why not replace the original hive warren with another alloy foundry, especially when you have unemployed drones? You lose some minerals in case you want to rebuild the warren later on, but you gain extra alloys, so you won't have to buy as many.

Why not disable HS on the homeworld right off the bat? That drone could work the extra foundry then.

And why not set monthly trades to gradually sell some food to cover energy shortages? It will take less clicks/attention compared to selling food ad hoc, and selling in small batches ensures you always sell at the best (non-discounted) price.

Also, have you tried using specialized subspecies for various jobs? Every time I try it turns into a micro hell, especially if number of subspecies is multiplied by number of climates (cold miner, cold agri, cold brain..., dry miner, dry agri, dry brain... and so on). But specialization would be very thematical for hives and I still hope to find a way to use pop optimization without having to resettle 100 pops of different subspecies over different planets.

Good video, very useful.

Why not replace the original hive warren with another alloy foundry, especially when you have unemployed drones? You lose some minerals in case you want to rebuild the warren later on, but you gain extra alloys, so you won't have to buy as many.
The original Warren can be replaced ofc, but from what I've seen unless you're about to war it can stay, the window for an additionnal alloy foundry to be efficient would be too short. You still start with a limited amount of pop and they often end up doing something else

Why not disable HS on the homeworld right off the bat? That drone could work the extra foundry then.

They do get disabled as fast as possible, but i prefer closing 1 additionnal maintenance first because the extra stability is inferior to the +-2 unity this early. I didn't do the exact math tho, feel free to prove me wrong. It's pretty minor tbh

And why not set monthly trades to gradually sell some food to cover energy shortages? It will take less clicks/attention compared to selling food ad hoc, and selling in small batches ensures you always sell at the best (non-discounted) price.
Force of habit I'd say, I should probably do that, i thought there was some issue with it but come to think of it no arguments come to mind. I know you can technicly sell 100 food every day for optimal market ouput but there is a limit to min maxing XD

Also, have you tried using specialized subspecies for various jobs? Every time I try it turns into a micro hell, especially if number of subspecies is multiplied by number of climates (cold miner, cold agri, cold brain..., dry miner, dry agri, dry brain... and so on). But specialization would be very thematical for hives and I still hope to find a way to use pop optimization without having to resettle 100 pops of different subspecies over different planets.
It is a micro hell unfortunately :/ as you stated the best course of action is resettlement. Thankfully it is easier to specialize hivemind world, especially hiveworld, so there is that. The worst is when you forget to change the portrait or the color name, then on top of that it get confusing

Last edited:
I've been thinking of coupling planet+species specialization. E.g. if a planet is cold and specialized in mining+labs, then the species living on it should have cold preference, industrious, erudite. Assuming 3 basic resource specs, 2 complex specs (research and alloys) and 3 climate groups, worst case is 18 subspecies, but applying a template would always be planet-based, no need for resettlement. Also, in practice it's likely to be less than 18, especially if we produce and sell extra food instead of using generator planets.

I would also love to have a few pops optimized for unity+amenities on each planet, but distributing them is a straight way to micro-hell.

Also it would be great to have a leadership-optimized template. Unfortunately, the only way to control who produces leaders is to nerve-staple other types of drones which costs 3 trait points and limits their specialization.