• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I'm pleased to know you are a cat owner.

Why this matters, I do not know, but the information is pleasing to me anyway.

Also, since this is my first post in this thread, I really ought to thank you for these wonderful AARs.

Go Finland!

I'm pleased to know you are a cat owner.

Why this matters, I do not know, but the information is pleasing to me anyway.

Well, one of them slightly delayed the first Finland installment by pissing outside the designated area :mad: I can't find out why but he is having problems with this lately......

Right.....Finland in an hour ;)

Well, one of them slightly delayed the first Finland installment by pissing outside the designated area :mad: I can't find out why but he is having problems with this lately......

Right.....Finland in an hour ;)
I know people that know how to deal with cats... Any more delays on the planning of operation "Finland AAR" and I will have to give them a call.
Nothing can stand in the way of this masterpiece!!!:eek:

I hope by ´how to deal with cats´ you mean ´feed them alot, pet them alot, tell them they are good cats and everything else Data instructed Worf with, when he gave him Spott to watch over´.

I hope by ´how to deal with cats´ you mean ´feed them alot, pet them alot, tell them they are good cats and everything else Data instructed Worf with, when he gave him Spott to watch over´.

OMG... :eek:

Geekland ahoy

I have to be honest, I'm not a huge HoI fan. I got Hearts of Iron relatively soon after it came out, but it never really caught my fancies. I never even tried Hearts of Iron 2. Reading the developer diaries got me somewhat interested in the game, at least to the point of considering whether I should get it or not. Reading this AAR has sealed it for me, though. I'll definitely be getting this game. As a side-effect, in the hunt for some WW2 to keep me occupied, it got me interested in Close Combat again :p

That was :D

And I made this one pic, just because it looks so cool:

2rh77yc.jpg

Tomorrow....Finland!

The HoI3 map is a masterpiece, and I really can't understand why some people have to whine about it constantly.

WHAT?! Look at cyprus! It´s totally deformed!! Compare that to projection XY, where it is displayed ´correctly´. It needs to be at least 3.4 km ´wider´ and 1.2 km less ´high´. Seriously, the whole map is crap and should be redone for that reason alone!

(i hope it is obvious: i am joking...)

The HoI3 map is a masterpiece, and I really can't understand why some people have to whine about it constantly.
Please leave that can of worms closed. Map discussions can get ugly fast.

The Finnish AAR:
Chapter One: “Prepare for revenge”, part I

tamu4m.jpg

The Winter War had had disastrous consequences for Finland. Notwithstanding the massive losses dealt to the communist aggressor Finland had lost considerably as well. Yes, a strange type of glory was brought to the small Baltic state but the flower of it's youth had been lost, killed in action during the long hard struggle in the snow. Perhaps even more important from a political and strategic standpoint; the main line of defences, the Mannerheim line, was lost to the Soviets.
The war had ended in defeat but not in shame. Still it was time for revenge and ever since that moment the Finnish high command had been preparing for the second war, a war in which they would be on the offensive, kicking the Soviets out of the territory so brutally taken form them. Revenge was the word of the day.

Late in the morning of June 22nd general Mannerheimwas informed of the German attack on the Soviets. “Finally” he thought, and was relieved. Now he would be able to persuade the cabinet to authorize an attack on the Reds, attack them from the rear and squeeze the life out of Leningrad.

“I want to be updated on the state and disposition of the army.”
her ordered his aid.​

24m83du.jpg

At first the general was shown the forces at hand and the enemy disposition and strength as reported by his intelligenceservice.​

9zyv4i.jpg

nnn0hj.jpg

A second map showed the supply lines to the front which were all in excellent condition, something the Soviets couldn't say of their hinterland. The aid explained the quality of the Russian infrastructure, with a smile he told the general the Soviets only had some good infra in the lands they 'stole' from the Finns and the Baltic states.

Mannerheim didn't really like the aid's joke and instead asked him to put down the first version of a defensive plan just in case the offensive plan wouldn't work out as planned. Which of the Finnish cities and towns should be protected in case of such an emmergency?​

1z71rt0.jpg

Looks like the soviets (2 infatry and 1 tank divisions) are already inside the Finnish borders (Between Viipuri/Viborg/Vyborg and Helsinki)! This is a clear breach of the the armstice and a good excuse for war. (But you seem to be outnumbered).

Good luck!

A totally minor thing: Have you messed around with that first screen (of the Fin AAR)? It looks so odd on the left. The black margin isnt straight and Iceland kinda sticks out. (No this isnt a map-complaint - just remarking something that strikes me as odd).

Looks like the soviets (2 infatry and 1 tank divisions) are already inside the Finnish borders (Between Viipuri/Viborg/Vyborg and Helsinki)!

Yes they are.

Playing as Soviets I couldn't DOW Finland for some reason, I could run my troops through the country at will but the Finns didn't fight back.

A totally minor thing: Have you messed around with that first screen (of the Fin AAR)? It looks so odd on the left. The black margin isnt straight and Iceland kinda sticks out. (No this isnt a map-complaint - just remarking something that strikes me as odd).

Just the way the map is build up when you go over the globe in the scenario/nation selection screen. The same happenes when you are zoomed out to the max in game but then the borders are grey instead of black.

Go Finland!. What is your army like?, just infantry? or any other type of units?, ie ski troops(though they aren't in HOI3, are they?)

Most divisions are composed of 3 infantry brigades, nothing special except for the quality. Then I have some Mountain and some cavalry.

Last edited: