• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
THE INDEPENDENCE OF THE SLAVS : ALWAYS, ALWAYS BET ON POLAND

"Tear this country apart as quick as possible. Hunt their armies down and burn their castles. I expect this Khagan of Crimea to be mine within the year!" Everytime Casimir thought back to that speech, spoken on the first day of the war with Crimea, he had intended them to be true. His reports said that the Crimea was weak and beset upon from all sides. Unfortunately, he had not relied on the uselessness of his allies, the bloody Lithuanians. His troops had finally reported the fall of the last Crimean bastion but up until this point every victory had been preceded by numerous accounts of Lithuanian incompetence. The foolishness of their generals had almost led to the death of Casimir himself! He knew then that he would enjoy absorbing the abysmal country into his own once and for all, for the Slavs in Lithuania certainly needed independence from their overlords, for their own safety.

eu330y.jpg

He had succeeded in one goal during that time though, the introduction of POLAND (sorry just noticed i said Austria) into the HRE. Emperor.... whatever his name (Casimir never bothered learning any of those Germans names, they all seemed rather pointless, and they certainly died quickly. Something that a true Polish lord would never do, dying to soon) had been very kind and let the Polish in. Of course, it had all been for Polish gain, as Casimir was no fool. The war on the Teutonic Order had begun almost immediately. The Lithuanians had certainly proved there worth there, actually choosing to fight Polands enemies. Casimir had laughed when he heard that Sweden, someone who had threatened Poland from the start, had fled the war as soon as they realized that Polands allies, the Russians, had come to Polands side, not the Orders. Of course, Poland and Brandenburg, another ally, a proper ally though in Germany, not like the Austrians, may have lost near the start. Then a shining star had arrived in the army camp, as they waited for the descending Orders armies, an old general who had served Sweden til he had realized that they were doomed. The man called himself Konrad the Swede, and had crushed the Orders superior forces. To think that it took a swede to deal a death blow to all of swedens expansionary plans. He had received the news of the Orders surrender, and the obtaining of vast tracts of land only a few hours ago, and was so pleased with his country. Maybe now that it was so strong, it wouldnt need him anymore. Maybe he could finally take a rest...

eu332.jpg

Michael, the Voivode of Lithuania, watched as his lord, the King of Poland, Lithuania, Moldavia, Crimea, Mazovia and Livonia, closed his eyes and breathed his last. Hanging his head low, Michael vowed he would not reveal what the King had muttered to himself in his final hours to anyone. He held the man who had saved Poland more then that. Walking down the from the high tower of the Wawel, the favourite spot of the King in his final days, he stood in front of the lords of the realm, the Queen and the infant Prince. "Our lord, the King of the Slavs, has passed away. May his memory, and his actions, never be forgotten by the Polish. He was a man that remained true to his word, and true to his people." The lords bowed their heads, each one saddened by the news they had received. Casimir had been one of the last truly great leaders of the Slavs in the world and now his light had gone.

(Okay this is my non-aar writing thingy, thingy. I just want to point out some hilarious things i didnt/wouldnt put into the AAR. firstly, there was some rebels i hired in TO Wenden, that beat the TO army, then left the province and marched into Lithuanian territory and sieged it. Thats right. Lithuanian patriot rebels, ignored lithuanian territory owned by someone else, and went and attacked Lithuanian territory owned by Lithuania. Waste of 60 ducats. Also in the last like year of the game, i inherited Albania, something i didnt even notice was happening, and caused Ottomans to lose their core on it! Fun all around.:rolleyes: also im gonna apologise to people who expect better of me for the appalling state of the writing in this AAR, but im busy with the BB one, and i just didnt have the time to invest into what has honestly been a great fricking game. thanks.)

Last edited:
Chapter 2:
For Caesar and the Caliph
(1453-1467)

The inhabitants of Thessaloniki had scarcely since the times of Alexander born witness to such a site as that before its gates in May 1453. 30 thousand men, turks, greeks, arabs and kurds, had come by the order of the Sultan, their polished armour shining brightly in the summer sun. Some lay resting under olive trees, others playing chess or conversing over cups of sweetened tea. At a moments glance, the encamped army may have seemed calm, even tranquil, but if one had chosen to walk among them, one would hardly have escaped the simmering tension and excitement that lurked below this relaxed exterior. They were marching to war, but to where,they knew not.

Then arrived the Sultan upon his horse with the standards of Osman and Byzan, fresh from his conquest of Constantinople.

mp1o6EF.jpg

"Brethren, countrymen," his voice echoed across the valley, "you stand on the border of the Infidel, who seeks our distraction and undoing. By recent agreement with the Kaiser in Vienna, we shall not today conquer the Hungarians and Transylvanians, for the gain is small and better spoils are to be found elsewhere." At these words, discord arose among the men and officers, for they felt the Sultan had forsaken the Jihad they had desired. Sensing the sentiment, Mehmed planted his standard firmly in the greek soil and rode in among them.

"Men, the enemies of the True Faith are strong and the tribes once united by Mohammed are dispersed, its common body mutilated. We must mend that body." The eyes of the Sultan glimmered and a cruel smile for a second sullied his handsome face. "Also, did I at any point exclude the Serbs from our wrath?"

fzPYhYD.jpg

And so it was, that the armies gathered at Thessaloniki split into three divisions, 15 thousand heading to Serbia, seven to Albania and seven back to Anatolia. The Sultan had not initiated the Albanian enterprise with a proper justification, so rather than destroying his reputation among the civilized peoples, he settled with the Albanians without harshness and then brought that army too, to Anatolia, preceded by emissaries handing over declaration of war to the chiefs of Candar, Karaman, Ramazan and Dulkadir. The tribes of Ak Kuyulu would soon join to protect Candar and so would many sultanates in the far west.

In the West, the Sultan's armies captured Serbia and checked the advance of 30 thousand Hungarians. Yet, it would take two years for the Noble Council to draft appropriate decrees, allowing Mehmed to gain legitimate claim by the Serbian annexation. When that was done, the Sultan offered the King of Hungary to relinquish suzerainty over Wallachia, only to immediately attack and incorporate the newly independent state. In the East, the Turkish tribes were quickly subdued and their cities put under siege. The unification of Anatonia was all but complete.

vLq22VQ.jpg

10 months after the conquest of Constantinople, Mehmed was riding around the city of Mur, overseeing a prolonged siege that strained his patience. On the packed southern road, he one day came upon a caravan, its wagons dressed in fine tapestries and encumbered with gilded chests of Egyptian make.

"Halt," he commanded "who goes there? Are you of the Sheikh of Dulkanir and thus my enemy?" From the leading wagon emerged not a Turkish tribesman, but the fairest of Arab women, his soul at once smitten by her beauty.

"Nay," answered the lady, "I am but Jamilah ad-Din Inal, driven from my homeland by Sayf, pretender to the Mamluk throne -- who claims to be my brother but who has no royal blood. I humbly bid passage so that I, in Anatolia, may find the means of justice I have not found in Syria." At these words, Mehmed turned his horse to the left, coming up in front of the caravan, as to block its path with the bulk of his steed.

"You shall not continue down this path. Instead you must turn around and go back the way you came."

"My lord! You do condemn me to death at the hands of an usurper!" Jamilah exclaimed.

"Fair princess, you do quite think the less of me," the Sultan replied. "Your path does not lead to Asia Minor. Yours is that to Cairo, at the head of that glorious Osman army that shall restore honour to your name."

OFKGpcQ.jpg

So it came to be, that Mehmed II, after taking Jamilah ad-Din Inal into his harem, embarked on a noble enterprise of war for the Mamluk throne. While for some time also fighting Turkish tribesmen and Hungerian hussars, the Ottomans spent the first year of the war encamped on the border of Syria. The Mamluk Sultan, underestimating the power of Osman leadership, rallied 45 thousand men, expelling Turkish forward encampments, but being decisively defeated by 23 thousand Ottmans in a tactical victory on the slopes of the Nur Mountains.

After collecting men from other fronts, Mehmed's many generals, greatly assisted by the new chief tactician Süleyman Cerrah, began to push into Syria, ultimately destroying the Mamluk main army in the Battle of Badiyat Ash Sham.

Finally, the Mamluks accepted Mehmed's right to rule by the side of Jamilah ad-Din Inal. Sayf fled Egypt, presumably to Arabia or perhaps the Christian West. Still, the Mamluk nobles demanded that Mehmed would only formally ascend the throne in 1467.*

oy5EJJf.jpg

Returning triumphantly to Constantinople, Mehmed proceeded to crown himself Caesar, Emperor, for truly he, if anyone, was the successor, both in territorial claim and in ability, to the splendour of the Roman Dictators. This flamboyant act, however, greatly destabilized the Empire, a problem which was further exasperated by unforeseeable events.

Many a year past as Mehmed laboured to correct domestic problems in the administration of his realm. For one thing, he chose to institute a provincial system, adding extra revenue to the treasury. Seeking to integrate the last independent Turkish tribe, Candar, which had gained protection from the temporarily independent Mamluks, the Sultan declared war on Rhodes and called upon the duties of the Egyptians. The Ottomans diplayed the success of their ship construction program by defeating the intervening Castillians in naval engagements off the coast of Greece and Tripoli.

In 1467, the Ottoman Empire is still at war with the Arabian states that foolishly sought to protect the Sultan of Candar, but whether Mehmed will push any demands upon them is a question to be answered by future chroniclers.

ZLvTwPp.jpg

*Read: BUG that will be edited.

Last edited:
Beautiful update Serzis, totally putting my Polish one to shame. Everytime i look at it i want to just go ahead and re-do it, but i feel i am way too busy, good going anyways :D Also an update for anybody who reads the updates - we know you must exist - the Swedish player has left this game, so he will not be doing an AAR for this year. we are currently getting another player for it though, so any of you Sweden lovers there should be one from him soon :D

Chapter 2 (1453-1467)
The Nomadic Invasion
mughal-art-painting-04-717505-250x250.jpg
Sultan Babur knew that the nomads would invade, however he did not expect the nomads to muster up such a large invasion force as they did. The Timurids somehow managed to form an army three times larger that his own and Qara Koyunlu had an astonishing force that was six times larger. Against such armies, how could Babur possibly win? The Sultan wisely accepted an alliance offer from the Mamluks, who were also at war with the Qara Koyunlu nomads
263162_185491358273403_460356998_n.jpg

Peace was quickly made with the Timurids as both our nations had double front wars. We would have no distraction in attacking Qara Koyunlu while they could now deal with solely on Delhi. Of course being led by fools, the Timurids would ultimately get a stalemate with their Indian foes. The combined force of Khorasan and Mamluks managed to sandwich Qara's main armies in 3 years and an additional 5 to mop up and occupy the remaining territory.
Tragedy struck on August 28, 1455. Sultan Babur Timurid, while riding back to Khorasan from the Persian frontier, died from an arrow to the...knee during a skirmish with a minor Qara pretender revolt. The nation mourned the death of the founder of Khorasan but had to quickly turned the page as Qara made a new offensive, exploiting the possibility of a accession war in Khorasan. They could not have been more wrong. Babur's son Ibrahim Timurid proved to be a courageous and a masterful military tactician. Two years after his ascension to the throne, the entirety of Qara Koyunlu had been occupied before the Mamluks could get a single province.
283914_185491378273401_639500431_n.jpg

During the the first few years of his reign, Sultan Ibrahim changed the capital from Khurasan to Great Khorasan and adopted the national idea of colonial ventures in order in integrate Qara Koyunlu into Khorasan. He then vassalized the Sultanate of Sind in the irrelevant war of Malawan succession. During this war The Kingdom of Aragon captured the rich trade cantre of Kutch. Finally in 1467, war with Delhi rages and the Hindu Kingdom of Rajputana broke their neutrality
and attacked the new Emirate of Sind. The Young Ibrahim seems to have no choice but enter a large regional war between Hindus and Muslims, one that could even get Vijayanagar involved...
Central Asia circa 1467
923464_185480241607848_1450287692_n.jpg

Last edited:
The Best Laid Plans of Mice and Hohenzollerns...

1453-1467

If one were to ask the Elector Friedrich II Hohenzollern of Brandenburg what the defining moment of his reign were, after his death, he would most likely not tell you the truth. Oft-times, when studying one's sources, the truth can be convoluted and shrouded in mystery. This is not so with the disastrous campaign of Friedrich II against his northern peer, the Duke of Pommerania, Ota III Gryf. It had been a tenuous claim that Friedrich held to the Gryfs' imperial holdings, but sufficient in the eyes of the Kaiser that he would not interfere. Indeed, the Kaiser needn't have interfered. When Duke Ota III declined the simple ultimatum to step down and defer his titles to Elector Friedrich II, war became eminently apparent between the two powers. Whilst sources vary on precisely how many troops engaged in the battle of Gorinsee, in the southwest of the Pommeranian duchy - most corroborate one another in asserting that the Brandenburger army outnumbered the Pommeranian army by a factor of at roughly a half, with a much more significant cavalry contingent also. We shan't discuss in detail the events of the battle itself - that is not our focus in this analysis - instead we shall focus on the fact that despite such an advantage, Friedrich II was routed in the battle, and his army run down as it scattered into Neumark, leaving both Ota III and Friedrich II scrambling to raise militias to fight between Kolberg and Berlin. Any hopes of the war being won by mercenaries at this stage were however, dashed, for Friedrich, when Ludwig von Erlichshausen threw his weight behind the Pommeranian war effort, lending far more knights to the Pommeranian cause than the Elector's treasury could hope to overcome. The inevitable surrender led to a a bill in war reparations being footed squarely by Friedrich II, who proceeded to preside over the Electorate for another decade, throughout which time the more populous and resource-wealthy Electorate failed to fully recover from the setback it had suffered in such a war.

Yz6jueV.jpg

Friedrich II of Brandenburg, as shown in the book "Geschichtsbilder" published in 1896 by Friedrich Polack (1834-1915)

Indeed, it was a mark of shame for many of Friedrich's courtiers to serve under a man whose career had fallen to such calamitous circumstances, and whilst no document indicating confirming the theory has ever been supplied, it is widely speculated that the Elector was murdered at the age of 46, in his bed, leaving his mewling infant of a son, Joachim Siegmund, to inherit the Markgraf and Elector title, leaving the court to arrange for the next decade-and-a-half to be ruled in lieu of the Elector himself, until he was of suitable age to lead the people.

Friedrich did, however, leave the court one important legacy - a continued conflict with Pommerania. Whereas 7 years prior, Pommerania had been supported by the Knightly orders of the Teutons and Livonia, Friedrich had managed to accrue the good will of the Polish and Lithuanian king in his renewed campaign - where the Brandenburgers sought to seize control of Pommerania, Kazimierz IV sough to shatter the power of the knights, and in a quick but bloody campaign that saw the death of thousands of soldiers and peasants in all theatres of the war, barring central and southern Poland and Lithuania, the knightly orders had the majority of their holdings in the baltic seized in perpetuity by the Polish crown, Pommerania annexed into Brandenburg, and what little remained of the knights sworn into bondage by the new Elector - the knights forced to bend knee to the infant Joachim Siegmund who reigned at the war's conclusion. Opinions remain mixed to this day as to who was the real driving force behind the temporary allegiance that stood between the Poles and Brandenburgers, some seek to attribute to the therefore maligned Friedrich II, whilst others suggest it was the responsibility of subversive - and sadly unknown names within his court. Regardless, it seems to be rooted in a conjoined desire to see the breaking of their northern neighbours, and in both cases, figures of power came to rule over many ports overlooking the baltic sea.

EYydKjI.jpg

A 16th century rendition of the battle of Zbrojewo, in which 8,000 Brandenburger, 11,000 Polish troops shattered the bulk of the Knights' forces, 14,000 strong in northern Poland.

The rest of our period is primarily consumed with the Elector-Regent Klaus von Neuruppin consummating the Markgraf's hold over the Pommeranian lands, establishing Saxon-led constables and workshops within the coastal towns and villages so as to cause the flow of Pommeranian wealth to be guided to the Elector's treasury. The value of such endeavours would prove to be of immense import beyond our period, as we shall in our next installment of this - A Layman's Guide To The History of the Saxons and Prussians.

Last edited:
Oh, this is sooooo good.

So far it seems my plan has worked in making this game into an even more interesting campaign than normal :)
Keep them updates coming.
I am personally very busy these days, but i will try to make a small update on the Aragonese adventures.

Even though there is a symbolic reward coming for each AAR-writer, the real reward is this awesopme AAR.

I almost can't wait for more updates :eek:o

A Burdensome Heritage part 02 chapter 01

pRBmTUZ.jpg

Kremlin, Moscow, 12th January 1467.

Grand Prince Ivan III stood in a small hall built in the south-eastern part of the fort and stared at a simple, old wooden chair, which had been clearly ravaged by time. He was standing there silently for hours now thinking about his father, Grand Prince Vasily II the Blind, who had passed only six months ago - not many memories came to the young prince's mind though. Maybe Ivan was seeking those memories in the wrong place as he had never been into this hall before. In fact nobody had been to this hall during the reign of Vasily and even since his death, except the late Grand Prince himself. Not that it was forbidden to anyone - but every person at the court knew what the small hall had meant to Vasily: it was a sanctuary for him, a perfect place for thinking about all kind of troubles and other matters of the world undisturbed. Also it was widely known that Vasily liked listening to the sounds of the River Moskva especially since he had lost his sight to his treacherous nephew.

Contrary to popular beliefs of the foreign envoys Vasily was no madman at all and neither he practiced dark magic in his chambers. But even if all those rumours were not true Ivan never dared to interrupt his father's meditation in this hall. Only now he came to this room but now he came for advice.

During his later years Vasily ordered numerous campaigns against the neighbouring smaller duchies and many in the court were puzzled by this sudden change in the Grand Prince's foreign policy. For the first few decades of his reign Vasily was well known for his calm and patient nature rather than any hunger for war and conquest. But around ten years prior to his death something had changed and Ivan now came to this room to find out what could have made his beloved father a conqueror.

By several successful campaigns in his later years Vasily incorporated or subjugated the duchies of Ryazan, Yaroslavl and Tver into Greater Muscovy. Initially Ivan had suspected that his father merely tried to create a unified nation against the still unchallenged Tatar rule over the steppes but recently the young Grand Prince became quite unsure if this was the true cause.

Ivan became suspicious first when he heard his father's last wish on his dying bed: Vasily ordered Ivan to wage war against the Novgorodians in the nearest possible future. Although Vasily despised the Novgorodians in all his life fighting their own brothers while the vast steppes of the former Golden Horde to the south were already open for Muscovy to settle did not seem to fit Vasily's previous maneuvers. Also Novgorod was far larger and richer than Muscovy and even had powerful allies - fighting them before Muscovy would become ready could be a disaster while it offers little to gain. Or at least that's what the young grand prince thought at the moment. But Ivan would have never defied his father's last wish and as soon as it became sure that the Swedish would not come to the aid of Novgorod he sent armies to north and west to seize control over the Novgorodian heartland and cut them off of their supplies.

While Ivan was thinking about the Novgorodian campaign the door of the hall suddenly opened and a young man appeared in it. He looked quite exhausted and certainly not only because of climbing the stairs that led to this room. But before the boy could have even caught his breath Ivan had drawn his sword at pointed it at the him.

'Who are you and what are you doing here?' asked the Grand Prince firmly.
'I... my apologies my lord. I have news about the army led by Fedor Basenok.' they young boy was gazing at the floor in shame. 'I... I did not mean to interrupt you. My lord.'

Ivan lowered his sword a bit.

'Are you the son of general Basenok? I think I've seen you before.'
'Yes, my lord, my name is Oleg and my father is indeed Fedor Aleksandrovich, faithful servant of your family for many decades now. You must have seen me when our army left Muscovy towards west.' Oleg bowed before Ivan and remained such until Ivan finally decided to put away his sword. 'I was riding right behind my father.'
'Arise then, Oleg Fedorovich and tell me what your father has accomplished.'
'My lord... I... as you already now my father had defeated the Novgorodians' main army at their camp near Veiliky Novgorod and had laid siege to the city itself. But with the greater part of our army he chased the Novgorodians towards the port of Archangelsk. And now I am here to tell you that he got all that army, some ten thousand men, surrounded and surrendered three days ago. I got to my horse and was riding without rest to tell you about this: the Novgorodians shall not be able to resist you any longer my lord.'

Ivan smiled at the young boyar.

'That is good news indeed, Oleg Fedorovich and because of it I forgive you for breaking into my father's hall without notice. Instead I would like you to accompany me and tell me all the details about the campaign while we have a dinner together.' said Ivan with a smile on his face.
'I... I am honored, my lord.' replied Oleg and he quickly followed the Grand Prince as he left the hall and closed its door behind them.

But outside the window the land was filled with a tense silence and the frozen streams of the River Moskva talked only to those already dead...

agFaxev.jpg
The armies of Ivan III capture the leaders of Veiliky Novgorod​

Last edited:
Death, succession and the discovery of the two Indias

Shortly after the fall of Byzantium, hostilities broke out between France and the Duchy of Burgundy. It is believed that this was act of pure french aggression to suppress the rich and powerful burgundians. Nevertheless, at the time I found it neccesary to come to the aid of the french crown. The future stability and relations to such a grand kingdom as France would count more than any moral "obligations". In addition to the grand army to the duke of Burgundy, the french noble Sebastien de Crussol had amassed an army of ten thousand men planning to take the french crown for himself. I, Alfonso V personally led an army of more than fifteen thousand men to meet and destroy these pretender rebels.

No doubt it was seen as an act of bravery, maybe even foolish such, to lead an army to battle at the age of 57. Prior to the battle I had decided to die in battle, either by the hands of the rebels or the burgundians. I was struck by an arrow before even able to raise my sword.

warnm.jpg

The army of de Crussol was defeated and he himself was captured to be brought before the true king of France.

While wounded in the royal wagon, I appointed my brother Joan as general of the aragonese army. This fine army under his supreme and flawless command turned the tide for the hard pressed french king and the burgundians was forced into a humiliating defeat.

heaven2s.jpg

It was as I entered the gates of St. Peter that Joan was crowned King Joan II of Aragon and Naples. He was also handed my recently finished manifest by the first minister.

He immediately started building and equipping an expedition fleet. This magnificent fleet consisted of more than thirty ships and the main part of the army, approximately ten thousand men at arms. Based on my studies of old hellenistic atronomy and map making, he should send the expedition westwards to circumsail the world and find the east coast of India or China where he would establish a tradeport and an embassy. As they made landfall in early 1457 they soon discovered it was not India or China they had found, but rather a previously undiscovered continent. Oh glory, these natives of inferior technology wore riches of gold and silver only seen in the nobility of the civilized world. Jaume Villaroya, the expedition's commander, immediately claimed a part of this land for the Aragonese crown. This caused minor disturbances with the native populace, but the soldiers quickly forified the important centres and towns to bring the situation under control.

800pxptolemyworldmap.jpg

My personal reconstruction of Ptolemy's map showing the eastern route

mayaw.jpg

The conquest of the Maya natives

Soon after the brief conquest of the Maya natives the expedition returned to Aragon, only to resupply and try the eastern route. A smaller expedition was sent out this time as they had maps of where to sail. India was reached in 1460, a mere 7 years after my passing.

Due tue the advanced cultures in the east, a different approach was chosen. Relations with the muslim kingdom of Khorasan was established, and intervention in a regional war secured the rich trading city of Kutch for the aragonese crown.

kutch.jpg

Sadly, at the end of 1466 i was joined by both my brother King Joan II and his son and heir Ferran. Joan's grandson was crowned Joan II at the age of 3, his reign to be governed by a council led by the first minister.

well, What im I supposed to say in this chapter? xD "I had a regency, end of sesson =D"

well, What im I supposed to say in this chapter? xD "I had a regency, end of sesson =D"

How about a coming-of-age story, telling the heart-breaking tale of how a young polish boy must overcome his self-doubts and mourning for a father he never truly met, ultimately culminating in him using his father's sword to kill the Khan of Crimea, finding some understanding with the ghost of Casimir by shouldering the same battle armour and responsibilities?

That or whatever springs to mind. It's not very important. : p

Or something more awesome then that soppy story. Mass burnings and destruction as a new king of Poland rises

Chapter 3:
In the Land so Far Away
(1467-1482)
-- Chapter 1, Chapter 2 --

SNPVF6n.jpg

Mehmed gaze upon the city of Mecca

It is in the nature of men aspiring to greatness to covet and surround themselves with those object of splendor that others already associate with this desired quality. So was undoubtedly with Alexander when he adopted the customs of the Persian Shah, and also with the crusader infidels when they conjured from the ground of Antioch the supposed spear of their savior, as to by these means assert their own preeminence. Though primary sources remain scarce, we can hardly dispute that this was also an important factor contributing to Mehmed II's conquest of glorious Constantinople in 1453, a notion that seems to be confirmed by the events of 1467.

It was in March that very year that the Ottoman Emperor brought down the walls of yet another city, but a city of certain significance. Its capture represented the joining in one State of worldly power, Istanbul, with that of religious power, for this was the city of Mecca, the birthplace of Mohammed. By crossing Syria, Jordania and the Sinai desert, Mehmed had led 20 thousand soldiers on their sacred pilgrimage, but he had also, by forcing the Sheikh of Hedjaz to swear fealty, secured his own greatness by its control.

ElHljCn.jpg

Cairo

Mehmed did not long linger in that holy city, but instead ordered a march across the hostile lands Arabia, stopping only at the capitals of Najd, Yemen and Oman to reduce their walls to dust and make their rulers admit their mistake of coming to the aid of the Sultan of Candar. By these acts, he gained great renown and used the resulting prestige to put Arabia under the sphere of Turkey.

When the campaign was all but at an end, he received word from Cairo that the Mamluk princes of the Nile required royal consultation, as was the custom of the assemblies in Egypt. Arriving by ship, the Emperor met with the Council of Nobles and Jamilah ad-Din Inal, first consort of Mehmed II and Queen Regent in Egypt, who informed him of the matters at hand.

Their grievances were many, for they were accustomed to being ruled by a Sheikh whom by the precariousness of his office had always been pressed to submit to the will of the tribal leaders. Some desired their privileges to be restored, others to procure for their sons the high offices of the court, and yet others made mad motions for global Jihad.

The Emperor himself remained calm, in sober tone assuring that the Empire would work for the benefit of all its princes and satraps, though being careful of making any real concessions. Letting the conversation linger on details and logistics, the Emperor once in a while ordered in another flask of water for himself, while he observed how the mid-day sun rose ever higher, heating the meeting chamber. Eventually, the minds of the nobles became sluggish in the warmth and then they soon retired, too tired and thirsty to remember what exactly had been promised. All but the Queen.

"I now see, dear husband," Jamilah addressed Mehmed, "that you are a master of two arts. The art of great accomplishments and the art of doing nothing." The Emperor smiled cunningly as he motioned for the royal fan bearers to enter and dispel the choking heat. "Yet today I desire the former."

"I have given you a Kingdom. What permits you to believe you can order your sovereign and master?" Mehmed replied.

"I assume no such thing," said the Queen, "for I know well that you act for the sake of your own gain and passion. Be pleased that this proposal does not contradict those inclinations." Mehmed remained silent as he pondered these words. Feeling both crossed and flattered by their curtness, he simply nodded. The Queen seemed to appreciate the gesture and continued.

"Far to the south lies the Kingdom of Abyssinia, ruled by the descendants of Solomon. Their land is poor, but they have in their possession the Gold Mines of Kefa, and the road to the sultans of Swahili and Adal, whom you in your pretensions to the style of Caliph must surely desire to dominate.

"Very well," the Emperor conceded, "if only in return for the reason you yourself suggest this act of conquest? What gain is it to you, that an ancient kingdom should fall to a new?" Now it was the Queen's turn to remain silent, if only so her word when finally uttered could drip will all contempt imaginable:

vCDnWc9.jpg

"It is now ten years ago that Sayf expelled me from the Mamluk court, but my first visit was not to Anatolia, nor was it Hedjaz or Mesopotamia. Nay, first i ventured to the court of Ethiopia and its King Zar'a, heathen but long-standing friend of my father's dynasty. Yet, there I was not greeted as an ally, but hurled to the ground by the King, my gifts scattered and trampled upon, for he was eager to befriend the pretender by my undoing." The voice of Jamilah hardened. "And I will find my means of exacting justice, be it on the world itself."

"Jamilah, have you ever heard the proverb 'It is better to err in forgiving than to err in punishment?'" Mehmed asked, not really believing the words himself, but speaking them, as of some scholarly compulsion.

"Then I shall endeavor not err in its execution," she answered as she rose from the throne of Egypt and departed from the room.

4bQNCa5.jpg

Jamilah ad-Din Inal

More the meeting protocols do not tell of Mehmed's visit to Cairo in 1467, but it is well recorded in the chronicles of Mamluk historia Ali Carawi that Mehmed, at several times, visited the chambers of Jamilah ad-Din Inal and that she would soon bare him his second son Ibrahim.

Later that year, the general Musa would invade and annex several provinces in Ethiopia, later returning to force the King to renounce his claim to that which had been taken from him. We cannot be sure by whose hand King Zar'a met his end, but his body was found spread out over several square metres on his palace floor.

QpyNcbI.jpg

The period 1467 to 1475 was relatively unimportant in the history of the Ottoman Empire. At one point, Mehmed was disturbed from his domestic work by seeing Muscovites on his border occupying territories of Georgia. He order troops to march towards the Caucasus, but no conflict arose as the Moscovites withdrew from the region.

He eventually gained a decree from the Noble Council to legitimately annex the last of the Greek states, unifying the western Balkans under Ottoman rule, while also vassalising Georgia. Only Albania remained in Polish hands, but as if God himself sought to correct the loss of claim over the province, a border incident re-established this claim.

cxnS8Fr.jpg

Mehmed praying for divine guidance in Algiers

In the later half of the 1470s, Mehmed II was preparing an ambitious invasion of Algiers to press his claim on the state -- waiving a piece of forged documents in his hand -- when news arrived of developments in Western Europe. Burgundy had declared war on France. To the side of France was later added the soldiers of Aragon, while Burgundy invaded with the help of Austria and later Venice.

For the moment, Mehmed continued with the war in Algiers, but received overtures from French emissaries, conveying the hopelessness of France's situation should the war progress for much longer. The Emperor had previously been in contact with the French monarch, but overtures had mostly consisted in diplomatic courtesies. Now he felt torn about what he should do, partly due to the consequences European involvement certainly would have, balanced against the consequences should he do nothing.

JvVL0UQ.jpg

The French Monarch sitting on the magnificent but terrifying beast of Austria

Austria had been strong in 1453 and had continued to grow stronger, as had been expected. There was nothing inherently threatening about an Holy Roman Emperor trying to accumulate control in the Empire, but what was happening in 1476 (?) was something quite different. The Archduke had previously aided France in his conquest of Burgundy and stayed neutral in the moment of further French gains, but now he sought to undo most of it, an act which would undoubtedly reduce both Burgundy and France to states of medium significance, crippled by wars and ripe for that indirect control that would be exercised from Vienna. The situation in Europe would be even worse should a strong Duke of Burgundy rise and be favorable to Austria. Reviewing that the army and state of the Ottomans were still surprisingly weak, Mehmed concluded that he should intervene in order to save France from decimation.

Quickly, Mehmed reinforced the Algierian expedition in order to quickly subdue the Sultan and thus allow him to move the main army back to the Balkans. When that was done, the Emperor formed a formal alliance with the French monarch, invading Hungery with 60 or so thousand men. Within a few months, the Ottoman army had reached the capital of Austrian Hungery, setting up a line along the whole of the country, awaiting the sluggish arrival of his Mamluk subjects. By means of infiltration, Mehmed knew well where the armies of Austria were and seeing that 80 thousand germans were returning from the French front, he saw fit to make permanent camps one province away from the Austrian line of defense. He knew that the French, relieved on their front, were making headway in Burgundy and Mehmed thus saw little reason to join battle with the Austrian generals. Rather, he allowed his nation to regain the little manpower and exhaustion it had incurred during the push.

The war was concluded not long after, Austria ceding Transylvania to the Ottoman Empire. Time will tell what consequences may come of this.

7mhbNIe.jpg

Jamilah ad-Din Inal, mother to the Heir

Upon his return to Constantinople, Mehmed was greeted by the cheers of the crowds, but a more somber display would meet him once he entered the palace grounds. His chief diplomat took him by the arm in a way all too familiar for a servant. The mans head was low, but eventually Mehmed would comprehend the words the man mumbled to him. His first-born son, Bayezid, was dead, shot in the side during a hunting excursion in Karaman. No-one knew who had fired the arrow, but all in the hunting party had been imprisoned pending investigation, though two of them had been found in their cells with their throats cut.

Jamilah ad-Din Inal was already in Syria, bringing the new heir to the throne, Ibrahim, to Constantinople. The Dynasty endured, but the heart of Mehmed was heavy with grief.

Last edited:
Chapter 3
A Twist of the Oliver Variety
1467-1482​

The period in history between 1467 and 1474 was marked by political and social stability with the state deciding to consolidate and integrate its Persian lands directly into the Sultanate. Ibrahim I Timurid chartered the construction of much needed infrastructure in Persia, which had been ravaged by Mongols since the days of Genghis. An unsettling feeling began to to settle along the northern border with the Timurid nomads as the two countries had not been at war since 1454 and whose mutual truce had expired some dozen years ago. In the early 1470's, Ibrahim decided to establish a colony along the Somalian coast much to the disagreement of his advisers who all claimed the land to be worthless. Ibrahim ignored these naive men just like he ignores his older sister when she constantly nags him about...well he wouldn't know as he doesn't listen. The site was permanently settled in 1475, the locals call it Majerteen.

Fakr_Ud_Din_Mosque.jpg
First Khorasani Shia mosque in Somalia​

War Breaks out in the East
922779_188371807985358_255852294_n.jpg

Sometime around the year 1474 (Ibrahim seems to have a habit of not paying attention to things), war broke out between Hansa and Vijayanagar. Not too long after Venice began a crusade against the Sultanate of Malacca. Vijayanagar and Malacca soon agreed to become allies as both were in wars against aggressive European colonizers. As the war dragged on for around a year, these two nations sent diplomats to Khorasan to offer a deal in return for supporting their defensive war against Hansa and Venice. The Three allies cooperated well in their strategies and occupied much of the Hanseatic and Venetian colonies by 1480. Tense negotiations began as both sides were unwilling to agree to the others offer. In the meantime, Hansa landed about 12 000 soldiers in Bengal but a combined Khorasani/Vijayanagar force soon annihilated. The Vijayanagar and Malaccan navies also worked well together in decimating the Europeans' fleets. Peace was signed in 1481/82 with Venice. Venice agreed to cede Ligore to Malacca as well as paying 300 chests of Aztec gold which will be divided amongst it, Vijayanagar and Khorasan. The War took its toll on Sultan Ibrahim, who died in the Great Battle of Bengal. His son, Husayn Bayquara I Timurid, ascended to the throne in early September of 1478 and led the Khorasani army on a string a magnificently executed sieges along the Pegu and Thailand coast

After Peace was made, Husayn lead the army back to their homeland, hoping to guide his great nation through peaceful and prosperous times. As he got home to the beautiful palace of Great Khorasan to rest and recover, bells began to ring and citizens began to shout.
"The Mongols Are Invading!!!!"

482412_188371821318690_539403070_n.jpg

Khorasan and the immediate world in 1482

Last edited:
Guys, hot linking images from random websites, which some of you are doing, is against forum rules (not to mention common netiquette). Please upload to an image host (Photobucket, Imageshack, Imgur etc.) ASAP and replace your links.

An Empire of Glass

1467 - 1482​

This period is dominated by the conclusion of the regency of Elector Joachim Siegmund I Hohenzollern, and is characterized by an aggressively expansionist mindset. Joachim Siegmund is often cited as one of the greatest Hohenzollern rulers, renowned for his generalship and administrative skill, tempered only by the influence his aggressive attitude towards the Margraviate's smaller neighbours had upon the opinion of his contemporaries. We shall begin by noting that in the early years of Joachim Siegmund's rule, the duchy of Pommerania was brought under the Hohenzollern family portfolio, becoming bound in succession along with the electorate. This particularly segment of Joachim's rule is dominated by the court, making decisions on his behalf until his tutors had adequately prepared for the tasks of leadership. Indeed, contemporaries and my peers alike agree that the Brandenburger court of the time was awash with competent sorts, who maintained a shrewd policy of updating and rebuilding the infrastructure of conquered Pommerania, as well as arranging for marriages between the siblings and uncles of Joachim Siegmund and notable nearby Imperial, Polish, and Scandinavian families. These marriages were carefully chosen, and came to bear fruit by the time Joachim Siegmund had grown to adulthood and taking full control of his responsibilities as Duke, Markgraf and Elector. Following the death of Chistian von Lüneburg - the appropriately surnamed count of Lüneburg - Joachim Siegmund's uncle Johann stood to inherit the title. The Lüneburger court conspired to prevent their land from falling under the influence of the Hohenzollerns, instead electing their own count from amongst their own number. Joachim Siegmund quickly prosecuted a way against the newly raised count Rudolf von Hannover, and, with the blessing of the Hanseatic merchant league, occupied Lüneburg and installed Johann Hohenzollern as count there, under the stipulation that he name the Elector of Brandenburg as his heir.

With that issue resolved, Joachim Siegmund set about reaffirming alliances, solidifying relations with the newly adopted client county of Lüneburg, and pursuing new alliances - the most important of these being the mutual defense pact concluded with mighty France, to the west of the empire. Naturally, the none-so-diplomatically-shrewd Joachim Siegmund failed to anticipate the war between the ever-declining Duchy of Burgundy and France herself, in which the emperor supported the Burgundian cause. Set at odds with the emperor, Joachim Siegmund reluctantly joined the war after some months had passed, setting his slowly growing armies against those of the Austrian client-kingdom of Bohemia, pacifying the Czechs in a short but bloody campaign typified by battles waged amidst thick forest or up against hills, were retreat was difficult and attrition rates high. France fought her corner against the empire to what appeared to be a standstill, broken by the opportunistic turks in the southeast, who seized upon the emperor's distraction to march against another of his client kingdoms - Hungary. With his attention divided in three directions by powers of different sizes, the emperor's hand was ultimately forced, and the king of France exacted a peace deal against Duke and Emperor alike that saw the Brandenburger war effort refunded, and France growing inexorably into the Netherlands. Whilst I have been curt explaining this war - one can find much more detailed discussions of it, and it's ramifications by looking at it in histories of its larger belligerents, notably those from the French and Austrian perspectives. We are more concerned with the fact that it soured relations somewhat - though not drastically - between the Electorate and Austria, and strengthened them with France, whilst providing a sizeable chest of coin used to farther develop Pommerania, causing it to more and more resemble the wealth of the Hohenzollern core territories.

During this war, one of Brandenburg's peripheral neighbours - the King of Sweden - had the misfortune of having taking one step too many in his crimes against the church, and was excommunicated. This quickly became pertinent, as Joachim Siegmund - his armies still fresh despite the intense Bohemian campaign - unraveled the diplomatic situation around his borders to see an opportunity. He attacked the Swedish king, citing his crimes against the church as his justification, and also aware of the Swedish interest in expanding into the north of the empire. This move relied upon one factor that very much paid off. The Duke of Mecklenburg, long allied to the Swedish King, answered the Swedish request for support in the war. The Swedes, already preoccupied with a war across the Dovre mountains against Norway, naturally assumed that Brandenburg aspired to exact a price against Sweden herself - but it had been Mecklenburg all along that was the goal. The galleys of the sworn knights of Prussia and Ösel divided Sweden and Mecklenburg in twain - the Norwegian ocean fleet having already scattered the Swedish galleys on the high seas - and Joachim Siegmund marched on his smaller neighbour, Mecklenburg, demanding the duke Friedrich Franz's oaths of fealty, before winding down his campaign against Sweden, in anticipation of another war to come.

The court were tiring of war under Joachim Siegmund, a man who - by all contemporary descriptions - seemed to have been obsessed with his legacy. Indeed, where some had thought his war against Lüneburg over-zealous, his next target - the kingdom of Denmark - was considered even more so. With his elder sister widowed by the sudden death of the crown prince of Denmark, the Danish King Erik VII von Oldenburg named his brother as heir - Joachim Siegmund decried this move, announcing that the pregnant widow of the crown prince had more rightful a claim, as she carried the true heir to the throne of Denmark within her womb. King Erik VII of course, disagreed, and another succession dispute came to a head in 1481, when Joachim Siegmund marched to war once more, demanding that a Hohenzollern be installed on another foreign seat of power. The war quickly went in favour of the Hohenzollerns, who swept across Jutland and occupied the Danish mainland. However, with the intervention of Norway and her ocean-fleet into the war, the Danish isles were an elusive prize that Brandenburg could not claim in our period.

q7OOULK.jpg

There were no major battles against Denmark or Norway during this period, and with regards to this war, we conclude this period knowing that many missives were dispatched between Oslo and Berlin - though the contents of these letters have not been discovered in more recent times, it is fair to assume that the Elector hoped to dissuade the Norwegian king from fighting on, so as to allow Brandenburger troops to march into København. It is in these circumstances that our period ends, and thus, we have this illustration of the Hohenzollern conquests, allies, clients and enemies as of 1482.

UmZU1rr.jpg

A Burdensome Heritage part 02 chapter 02

VvcP1xn.jpg

Outskirts of the ruins of the city of Astrakhan, 21th January 1482.

It was a biting cold day even for those who got used to the winter of the steppes - despite the numerous fires burning in the corners of his tent Grand Prince Ivan III was shaking beneath the thick furs. This was one of those moments when he saw his youth flying away with the cold eastern winds. He wasn't the young and agile Prince anymore - numerous wars and campaigns were aging him every day and he felt his twilight coming fast. But he still held considerable amount of strength and a growing amount of wisdom too. And of course there was one thing he wanted to be sure of before he dies. One thing that has to be done in this very moment...

Suddenly the sound of horses came from the front of the tent and a bit later a boyar appeared in the door of the tent.

'I am sorry to interrupt you my lord, but the envoy of Khan Ibrahim has arrived - and he wants to see you immediately.'
'After all these years you still not calling me by my name, Oleg Fedorovich.' replied the grand prince with a frown. 'Just how many times have I told you this?'
'I lost counting it long ago my lord.' smiled Oleg. 'But you may want to see this envoy now indeed - he seems to be rather impatient and keeps demanding to talk to you right now.'
'He is in no position of demanding anything. Not anymore.' said Ivan while a dark light was flashing in his eyes. 'My father and my grandfather had been waiting for this very moment in all their lives. Ever since that battle at the Kulikovo field. Yet only I have lived to see it happen now. Let that envoy in, Oleg.'

Oleg nodded.

'Yes, my lord.' said the boyar though with a somewhat worrying look. But he nonetheless opened the door and shouted a few words out in Tatar language.

A couple of Russian and Tatar guards came in encircling a wealthy looking Kazani - from the look on his face he was clearly not impressed by the Dukal tent of the Grand Prince of Muscovy at all. Before he could have said anything though Ivan raised his hand and the Russian guards drew their swords.

'I believe I have not had the luck of meeting you before.' said Ivan with a low voice.

The envoy seemingly remained calm despite the number of swords pointed at him and his few own guards.

'That is because the Mighty Khan was not impressed by the accomplishments of my predecessor, Prince.' the Tatar replied after a brief moment of silence. 'Hence now he sent me to get yearly tribute from you. I presume you have it collected already.'

The Tatar's eyes swept across the room though it was clear for him that something has happened to the Grand Prince in the last year. And indeed an evil smile appeared on the face of Ivan - a smile that even awakened fear in his own sometimes. The envoy was curious to find out what was behind it.

'I have it, envoy and you may get it right away. It is outside the tent right behind me. Please follow me.' said Ivan as he stood up from his chair.

He left the tent followed by his guards still encircling the Tatar envoy and his company. They slowly got around of the tent and stopped in the fresh snow facing the ruins of the once huge city of Astrakhan conquered and demolished by Russian armies a few years ago. The envoy began to feel a bit uneasy but his curiousity did not let him show anything of it.

'I hope your guards are acting this strange because they do not know me yet and it has nothing to do with you or your orders, Prince.' said the Tatar with a sudden anger in his voice once Ivan's guards finally stepped back a couple of steps. 'It would be a great disappointment to the Mighty Khan if I were to tell him that hospitality in your court has ceased to continue in his former glory.'

That would not be greatest disappointment of your Khan when you get home thought Ivan. The he turned away from the sad ruins and smiled at the envoy once again.

'Here is the tribute you get from the people of the Rus this year.'

What happened was exactly what Ivan had expected - the Tatar envoy seemed to be very confused by his words. But only at first - after that he seemed to regain his calm.

'I still see nothing, Prince.' replied the Tatar finally after a lengthy pause.

'You don't? But there it is.' said Ivan pointing at the ruined walls of Astrakhan right behind himself. 'That is what you get this year for torturing my people for hundreds of years. And if it does not satisfy you I might very well take your lives too, sending back only your head to your Khan to tell him about my response.'

One thing was to be admired in this envoy thought Ivan the fact that he overcomes his anger rather quickly - because when the Tatar opened his mount again he had the same cold threat in his voice that he had had before.

'Your recent... success to the North and the South made you rather bold, Prince. Do you think that subjugating the coward Novgorodians and the pathetic remnants of the Golden Horde would make you something more? I heard your armies even had adventures as far as Georgia - yet they were very quick to turn their back to those mountains when they saw a few Turks on the other side... You are still the same insignificant prince that you had been in all your life, Ivan. And if you choose to threaten the East too it might easily be the last move ever in your life.'
'At least I haven't fought my brothers to enslave them like you did.' it was now Ivan's turn to became angry. 'Rather I wanted to unite them against those who oppress them. Against the kind of you. You and your so called Khan.' replied Ivan. 'And united we shall crush your armies and drive you back to the forgotten steppes of the east where you came from for whatever reasons.'
'Hah.' laughed the envoy. 'All of Novgorod's former eastern outposts belong to us already by now - thanks to your campaigns which made them unable to pay their tribute in gold. So they had to pay it in lives... You underestimate our power, Prince, and that shall be your downfall.'
'And you too underestimate the power of those your treat as slaves, envoy.' said Ivan and signaled the guards. 'Take your men and take my words too: your Khan shall not have any more Russian gold or land that belongs to us. Go and tell him this.'
'I will.' said the envoy with a smile. 'But I am fairly sure that the answer will not please you at all.'

The Tatars quickly got back on their horses and rode away towards north along the great River Volga. All they left behind was the biting cold winter and a grand prince caught in the turn of the wheel of history once again.

OVoOxiD.jpg

Romantic imagery of Ivan refusing the tribute to the Kazani Tatars