• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Voter Franchise Integrity Bill: No
Representation Act: No
Bill for Proper Administration of the Regions: Yes
Motion for the Repeal of the Constitutional Principles Act: No
State Correspondence Act: Yes
Amendment to Equalize Voting: Yes
1846 Budget: No

[Militarist]
[No bonuses]

((Okay, so on the subject of the general strike a lot of people wanted to know what order events resolve in - ie: if the reforms passed first it would lower mil/con and thereby substantially reduce the strike's chance of success. This time only I'll resolve the general strike first.

In the future, I will resolve events in the order in which they were brought to a vote in the thread - ie: if a vote on reform was opened first and the reform was passed, I'll pass the reform first. If the vote on the general strike began first, I'll resolve the general strike first. I'll follow this general rule for everything where order is important.

Note this doesn't apply to stuff that take time IG. For example, TJDS pointed out that he ordered the army moved back to the mainland first so the army should be back on the mainland before the general strike. However, shuttling troops back from Tunis takes several months in-game, so this order would not apply.))

((EDIT: Voting is now closed))

Last edited:
An open letter is filed to the Ministry of Justice

Dear Minister del Fungi,

I must protest the charges in which you are bringing against me. I have already been charged and convicted of the libel of which you are charging me. Serving time twice for a single charge is an abasement of our judicial code and obvious bias against my person. I demand that the charge of libel be dropped.

Furthermore I have already served 5 years in prison for the non-state authorised printing of the common word. Your only proof is a pamphlet that has my name on it, printed by an illegal organisation. This is obvious slander against my name by a phantom organisation which seeks to discredit both my name and the name of the brotherhood which I head. I demand the state bring forth proof that I have a personal connection to said pamphlets, or to which they were printed.

Finally I must protest the attempt to shut down the Confraternita di Genovesi Artigiani. The Confraternita, a well known guild in Genoa, has served the interests of he city for over 20 years. The attempt of the government to connect the Confraternita to the currently illegal worker framework seems to be an attempt to shut down the mercantilist guild system which has been in place in Genoa for centuries. Such an attempt seems done by certain biased workers within the government.

I ask that definitive proof of libel, illegal printing and illegal gathering be provided. The illegality of these very items show their very susceptibility before the law. If one is to break the law already, why not brazenly frame an ideological enemy? I am more then willing to work with the government towards bringing this issue to a rest.

Sincerely,

Giuseppe di Antico, loyal citizen of the Kingdom of Sardinia

Bonaretti 1846-1848: As Our Fathers Were​

Pretorian celebration after the 1846 General Election was shortlived. As one MP would put it, "I think I always knew that we retain the government." The Privy Council rejected the idea of a Parassani government out of hand. After several days of deliberation and more than a few fierce debates, they also dismissed the idea of a second Montezemolo government, instead handing the Prime Ministership to Count Giacomo Bonaretti, the Tradizionalisti leader known for his ferocious reactionary attitudes and relentless fight against what he called the liberal "hydra." Bonaretti's appointment sparked immediate controversy in the Chamber, particularly eliciting outrage from the Pretorians, who had narrowly clawed their way to a majority. The King's choice of appointment, however, would not change.

d8be5d69505c09c87873a337bc8d48c7.jpg

1. Count Bonaretti, known for his crusade against liberalism and his many attractive "cousins"​

Bonaretti returned to the Chamber of Deputies a few days after the start of the session, shaking and looking visibly disturbed. He delivered a terse appeal for unity and, to the surprise of virtually everyone, called for reform. This call would spook I Tradizionalisti, who realized that the situation must have grown very grave to hear a call for reform coming from Bonaretti. The Chamber would pass two significant reforms in the early days of its session, including a statute to put an end to the practice of violently harassing political parties - passed by a narrow majority - and a piece of legislation equalizing the weights of each individual vote, irrespective of weight. This latter piece of legislation was passed with the help of I Pretoriani backbenchers under peculiar legislative circumstances; many would allege procedural trickery. The Chamber attempted to pass a similar bill shortly afterwards in normal session and fail amid severe opposition from I Tradizionalisti, engendering charges that Bonaretti had pushed the first bill through to attempt to win over reformists and operate his minority government more effectively. Indeed, despite the failure of the Equalization act, the Chamber would remain staunchly reformist; a bill backed by the Count of Susa to roll back the franchise to landed individuals only would fail quite spectacularly.

However, reform would come at a legislative cost. The Chamber would also pass the Representation Act, reducing Piemontese representation in the Parliament in favor of less populous regions, leading to charges of Gerrymandering. Some commentators began to openly allege that Parliament had abolished harassment only to employ more subversive methods of undermining popular will. Many others turned their noses up at the reforms, claiming that they did not go far enough - or did not meet the true demands of the populace.

The Labor Unions were among these voices. While Though the unionists had desired more freedom for their unions, the strikers and the Marquis of Montezemolo had reached an agreement that would theoretically put an end to General Strikes, the Savoy cement factory that Ferrero had unionized closed in 1845; Ferrero himself subsequently vanished. The disappearance of Ferrero and end of the Montezemolo government also put an effective end to the agreement. Giuseppe di Antico, perhaps the nation's most influential labor leader, called for a new general strike in 1846 to legalize unions. Unlike the highly successful '43 General Strike, Di Antico did not enjoy as much popular support as he had in the past. Nevertheless, his planned '46 General Strike was a success, bringing tens of thousands of union workers and supporters to the streets and effectively bringing life in Sardinia to a halt.

18-documentar-1.jpg

2. Giuseppe di Antico, architect of the 1846 General Strike and La Lega Costituzionale.​

Though the Strikers had planned to stay on the streets for at least a week, their advancing planning proved unnecessary. Bonaretti was furious at news of the general strike and initially wished to demand that the army break up the strike. However, this proved to be completely impossible. Raffaele Alighieri, new Chief of the Army, had disbanded the III Corps, the only military unit that remained in the mainland. The I and II Corps were not scheduled to arrive back on the mainland until March, almost two months later - the single regiment that remained of the III Corps was in the wrong part of the country and would certainly not be sufficient to break the General Strike in any case. News of the impossibility leaked into Parliament and panic swept the chamber; they rapidly bowed to pressure and hastily drafted a piece of legislation giving unions legal status under the law so long as they operated within parameters defined by the government. Though the unionists had desired more freedom for their unions, the strikers decided to quit while they were ahead and go home. Once again, the General Strike had ended in success after only day.[1]

These three reforms, passed at Bonaretti's term, were more than sufficient to calm the revolutionary mood of the population. Satisfied that open mass rebellion was no longer a concern, Bonaretti would begin a policy of relentless crackdown on remaining liberal elements. In addition to enacting brutal martial law in Turin and Genoa, Bonaretti's administration would pursue a "culture war"[2] against the French-speaking populations in Savoy - Bonaretti himself convinced that French-speaking populations were a unique source of liberal agitation. Administrative and military crackdowns would also be extended to Nice and Sassari. They would come at the cost of effective withdrawal from Tunis, where the governor complained of a possible new uprising against Sardinian rule.

FntNAto.jpg

3. Sardinian troops had crushed an uprising in Tunis (Carthage) in 1844​

Throughout 1846 and 1847, Bonaretti would seem to have succeeded in quashing the possibility of a revolution, earning him the cautious continued support of the crown and much of the Parliament. However, in 1848, events would begin to spiral out of control. Bonaretti's administration had been running a deficit, as a general tax cut had been part of Bonaretti's measures to placate the population. However, in early 1848, the long-running national deficit would finally deplete the treasury, triggering an automatic clause in the budget that caused tariffs to radically increase - taxes on imports spiked to 70% in the space of a month to stabilize the national accounts. Industrialists cried out in protest, particularly I PMC representatives, who saw the massive tariff as jeopardizing their fledgling textile business. Common people, dependent on imported simple necessities like meat, wood, furniture, and tools, also cried out.

Outrage at the sudden escalation of the tariff, combined with a new wave of jacobinism that was sweeping Europe, catching just as liberal fervor became militant. Calls for reform were replaced with calls for revolution, which spread like wildfire. The Springtime of Nations had begun.

84s1frZ.png

4. "We Will Be Free Men, As Our Fathers Were" was a common battle-chant of 1848​

[1]Giuseppe di Antico himself would not escape punishment, however. He was arrested on various illegal printing charges two months later and returned to prison, awaiting trial. He had just been released from prison some two years earlier.

-------------------------

Player Actions Needed:
I did both the General Strike and the Update in one post this time, as you can see.

Screens in a second. I'm not going to call a vote for a while, I think...

Last edited:
((Screenshots))

((before end of update))

msHlUks.png

CZtvKfH.png

((end of update))

Xmjd7KX.png

Au4ZVAK.png

OeuyHOp.png

wlF1Ggl.png

bZ3rzU0.png

RA3unOo.png

9xu2jAu.png

UzflvuK.png

fQZCQxM.png

EXE0Fij.png

Last edited:
((PP schedule and capi profits, coming up))

1I1dBDg.png

Il Sardo

Piemonte Winery: 8500
Sardinia Ammunition Factory: 1000
Savoie Cement Factory: Still Bankrupt ((still no write-offs)

Gross Profit: 9500
@ 60% taxes: -5700
Total Profit: 3800 ((this is how much money the company gets))

I PMC

Sardinia Liquor Distillery: 5500
Piemonte Clothes Factory: 0

Gross Profit: 5500
@ 60% taxes: -3300
Total Profit: 2200 ((this is how much money the company gets))

Government Taxes Collected: 9000@22% tax efficiency ~= 2000

Last edited:
The Unions have shown their true colors! They are the Fourth Head of the Hydra- a vile gang of liars, thieves, radicals, rapists, and sodomites. They shall be punished, and they shall be punished dearly.

Europe has entered the worst storm since the Corsican entered Milan many years ago. But we have weathered it well and we shall continue to hold out against the rising forces of the Hydra. Work with me and we shall survive and thrive.

There have been some valid concerns about the budget in the past few months. I want to assure the industrialists of the kingdom that I am listening to your concerns. A new budget shall pass and tariffs shall be lowered greatly.

Stay safe, my countrymen. Be careful of the French.

-Conte Bonaretti di Nizza, Prime Minister

((Would love if the ambassadors could so some ICs about the Springtime. I would also love to see the French reaction to our crackdown from the ambassador to France.))

Last edited:
On the request of the Prime Minister, a new budget has been drafted and approved to be put before the House for the years 1848 - 1850;

1848 Budget:

Taxes:
Poor: 80%
Middle: 80%
Rich: 70%

Expenses:
Industrial Subsidies: 0

Stockpile:
Land: 30%
Naval: 40%
Construction: 100%

Other Expenses:
Education: 50%
Administration: 40%
Social Spending: 100%
Military Spending: 40%

Tarrifs
Tariffs: 10%

Contingency 1: Debt
Should the treasury ever fall below £1000 in circumstances of a deficit, the land stockpile shall be reduced to 30%. If this failes to reach a surplus, then the Military Spending shall be reduced to 30%. If this fails to reach a surplus, Education shall be reduced to 40%. If this fails to reach a surplus, then Administration shall be reduced to 30%.

Contingency 2: War
Should the Kingdom of Sardinia-Piedmont be involved in a state of war, be it civil or external, Military spending anbd the Land Stockpile is to be increased to 100%. To cover budget shortfalls, tariffs are to be increased as necessary to reach a daily surplus. Should this fail, Taxes are to be increased by 10% on each strata of society until we reach surplus. On the conclusion of the state of War, civil or external, taxes and tariffs are to be reduced to the pre-war level and Contingency 1 applies as normal. Contingency 2 supercedes Contingency 1.

Contingency 3: Surplus
Should the treasury be greater than £1000 and receiving a daily surplus of greater than £30, then rich taxes shall be cut to the greater of: 60% or whatever level will cause us to fall below £10. This will continue until we fall below £9 a day.

Last edited:
The times of great unrests have come to Europe, the revolutonary dragon is trying to tear down order, peace and law in different countries - and we must only applaud the mastery of our Prime Minister, Count Bonaretti of Nizza, who, despite blatant obstructionism, through both compromise and a firm hand, managed to eliminate the first wave of the revolution and hinder the second. We all must thank him for his leadership - and our monarch for the wise choice he made appointing him. I believe that it is only through unity and cooperation of all political forces under the guidance of the Prime Minister the ship of our state would reach peaceful shores.

I have already commented on the crime against the nation committed by the illegal trade organizations. Currently they may celebrate their victory - but winter is coming, soon the nation and the state would respond to the actions of this new hydra. All reasonable people understand that blackmailers that threaten to undermine our economy in order to push through their radical political intiatives not needed by the people, that lack the sense of honor and do not respect their agreements with the government and the Chamber, who choose to stab Sardinia in the back during the times of trouble, try to take fair and conscious voting in the chamber into a joke, must receive an adequate reaction.

The budget, of course, needs to adjusted in the changed circumstances, the welfare of our industry is important for the state. I have heard that the Prime Minister has been meeting with the captains of our industry discussing the question and put trust in his ability to solve the problem.

- Cesare Luigi Amat, 6th Marquess of Soleminis, Minister of Foreign Affairs

Last edited:
Our tolerance of the labor unions has hurt the sovereignty of the goverment, as a result I propose the following act:

The Sovereignty Defence Act
Preamble: The purpose of the act is to protect the sovereignty of the government form the tyranny of mob rule.

I. Any organization that advocates implicitly or not, the violation of the government’s sovereignty through mobs are declared illegal.

II. If any of mentioned organizations have been made legal by previous laws, these laws are shall be annulled.

- Carlo Ponzo

((Counter-reform Ilegal Trade Unions))

I cannot find words to express my utter disgust with the weak-willed, snivelling, yellow-bellied cowards of the Chamber of Deputies. To reach an agreement with murderous Jacobin mobs is one thing -- to give in to their demands wholeheartedly is quite another. Therefore, we must rectify this situation, and I have drafted a bill that will do so.

The Anti-Union Bill
I. All unions are hereby considered illegal in the Kingdom of Sardinia-Piedmonte.
§1 The organization of unions, unionization of factories, or agitation for the legalization of unions or the unionization of factories is hereby made illegal in the Kingdom of Sardinia-Piedmonte.
§2 Any persons found to be organizing unions, unionising factories, or agitating for the legalization of unions or unionization of factories shall be subject to arrest in accordance with this law.
§3 Any factory owner that is found to be owning a unionized factory shall be considered a collaborator in the aforementioned crimes and shall be fined 1,000 £.
§4 The Sardinian-Piedmontese Army is permitted to exercise the use of necessary force in the dissolution of any and all illegal unions in the Kingdom of Sardinia-Piedmonte.

II. All strikes of any nature by workers of any occupation are hereby illegal in the Kingdom of Sardinia-Piedmonte.
§1 Any persons found to be organizing or participating in a strike (of any nature) are to be considered in violation of this law and shall be subject to arrest.
§2 The Sardinian-Piedmontese Army is permitted to exercise the use of necessary force is breaking up any and all strikes of any nature.

Last edited:
Anonymous Pamphlets, distributed from Turin to Genoa:

[SIZE=+1]Italiani e Compatrioti![/SIZE]

The time of momentous changes is upon us!
Never before was the treacherous Government of the Aristocrats and the Reactionaries so manifestly weak and vulnerable!

Indeed, the Ministers might threaten and menace, and our dog of a Prime Minister might like to raise his voice, but ultimately we have seen that all that is necessary for the Government to give in is a sufficiently big march and some slogans. So let us wait no more!

Down with the Aristocrats and down with the Privy Council! Down with the hopeless and weak Old Order who can't even protect itself properly anymore!
The People will no longer be appeased by small reforms and pathetic compromises, but they will take back their freedom and crush the chains of Kingdom and Nobility! The rotten system that now lies broken before us only needs a little push before it is destroyed for good, and then a proper new Form of Government will rise from its ashes to grant Freedom and bread for all.

[SIZE=+3]To Arms, Citizens![/SIZE]​

*Letter from Clara D'Ambrosio to Augustus*

Dear Friend of my Husband

I wish to reply to you about the situation in the Kingdom at this time. The people are aggravated, protests are occurring throughout the day and night. Mobs of students and young men are advocating more freedoms. The situation is dire, and I feel my son is not safe in this anti-noble environment. As such, with the approval of Signor Uleri, I have sent Giovanni to live with my brother in Germany. I pray that the situation here is not repeating itself in Prussia and the German States. I feel another hole in my heart, next to the one that opened up when my Husband died. Giovanni is showing signs of a hunter, and his prey is the man who killed his father. I worry that these signs of vengeance could lead to a violent confrontation between the two. I hope that his time in Germany will clear his head.

I pray Rome is stable for your time as ambassador.

-Yours Truly, Clara D'Ambrosio, Countess of Cagliari.

Dear Mistress

The Situation in Rome is stable, but I cannot say the same from what I hear about the countryside in the Papal States. Enlightened Secular riots are breaking out in Romaga and Ravenna. They claim that the Dominance of the Church over politics and nations is over, and that a new "Roman Republic" should be established based on the principles of the enlightenment. This all smells like Jacobin dissent. The Cardinals and the Pope are meeting as I write this to discuss a possible rebellion in Ravenna. The situation here though is about the principles of Church and State, much different from in Sardinia. I pray that these heretics do not overthrow the Church, for that is all Italians have left. I should be in Turin though, to stop these rebels, and to bring about a monarchist restoration, but my duties to the government sent me here.

Kiss your son for me, before he leaves to Germany

-Augustus Palma

I cannot find words to express my utter disgust with the weak-willed, snivelling, yellow-bellied cowards of the Chamber of Deputies. To reach an agreement with murderous Jacobin mobs is one thing -- to give in to their demands wholeheartedly is quite another. Therefore, we must rectify this situation, and I have drafted a bill that will do so.

Hear, Hear!

Break the back of the recalcitrant unions!

As I have heard of the the honorable Prime ministers plans to assimilate the French, I have only one thing to say. No French man, woman or child will be prosecuted in Annecy while I'm count. They are under my protection, where we live in a community of tolerance and trust.

~ Conte Maximillian von Habsburg-Lorraine, 2nd Conte di Annecy and Minister of Education

((TH3, we already have an NGF, wow, May I have some information on that? also, Andre: Does that make me ambassador to the NGF?))

((I don't know anything about it. Sorry. It's the first I've heard of it. I didn't even notice when it formed.))

((TH3, we already have an NGF, wow, May I have some information on that? also, Andre: Does that make me ambassador to the NGF?))

((Sure. I'm assuming Prussia sphered Saxony and Austria dropped the ball like it always does. Vanilla does the Austrian-Prussian conflict so poorly it makes me angry. Prussia should have to defeat Austrria to make the NGF :angry:))

((I'm trying to think of a new decision for this update - apparently because I like sailing close to wind. But I haven't come up with one yet, so in the mean time, here's what I've got to say on railroads.

We researched Experimental Railroads during the last update which allows first-level railroads to be built in certain provinces. Here's how I'm going to handle railroads with respect to Industrialists and capitalism.

Like factories, railroads can be built and owned by a company (they can also be built by the nation and state-owned, so watch out). By default, railroads don't directly generate any money. However, they do increase the effectiveness of factories and RGOs. So there are two ways that railroads can generate money for their owners: through profitable agreements with regional factory owners and through government subsidies.

Case 1: In the first instance (profit agreements), if a single individual, company, or consortium owns all the railroads in an IG region then that actor holds monopolistic power over the transport of goods. He or she can then negotiate a contract to allow certain factories to use the railroad - at a price, of course. If a factory refuses to pay, then it can't use the railroad and will have reduced profits as a result. (I think I've figured out how to deduct the benefit of the railroads from profits.) It will therefore probably be in each factory's interest to negotiate an agreement with the railroad.

If a single actor doesn't hold the monopoly on railroads in the region, then competition between the railroads allows factory owners to use the railroads without such an agreement (ie: basically for free), and railroads won't get profit from factories in the region. (This is to stop railroads from becoming a bureaucratic nightmare for me more than anything else.) Similarly, publicly or state owned railroads are free for factories to use by default.

Case 2: Railroads are also useful for the military and smallhold farmers, etc., so it might be worth the government's while to provide subsidies to the railroads, like it subsidizes factories. In this case, the relevant ministry will offer subsidies paid out from the treasury every update to the railroad companies. This could be a lump sum or per level of railroad or in particularly critical regions, etc. This will still be possible under laissez-faire if the government is actually using the railroads - ie: for military purpose.

The government can also offer loans to build railroads and build them itself as normal.

The current cost of a railroad is 4362/province. They can be built in Turin, Novara, Alessandria, and Aosta in Piemonte and in Sassari in Sardegna, as well as in much of Tunis. Priority will be given on a first-come, first-serve basis if more than one actor wants to build the same railroad.))