• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mini-Update #1

Mini-Preview #1: Northern Africa

I have had bad internet connection during the latest days, so I couldn't upload this and did have time to do edits to the images, but here you have. So here comes the first little prewiew screens, with the detailed setup in Northern Africa. ;)

Northern Africa is a region that has received a lot of love in this mod and that is very diverse with many interesting possibilities, all to add to the immersion and create an unique feeling when playing in the area, in contrast to vanilla. From the map extension Enlil did to include the Garamantes that existed in this period of time, to the germanic Vandals and Post-Roman Mauretania, a wide array of kingdoms and realms have been included and added to this area. Unique religions, heresies and cultures are also present. I will talk and mention some things about some of them below.

tLqv5eV.jpg

First of all, here is the detailed political setup in Northern Africa in the main bookmark, 480 AD. You can see all of the important realms in this screenshot. The experienced CK2 player will also notice the provinces that have been added, all to reflect the climate difference and the presence of the Garamantes, as mentioned above. Also, do not worry, this will only have a minimal impact on performance, so no need to buy a new computer (as someone asked me earlier) if you want to enjoy WtWSMS.

Mauretania: This is an African-Romance kingdom that lost contact with the Occident after the fall of the western roman empire, but it has stayed Nicene and is a good kingdom to try to restore roman authourity over Africa. The AI will usually fail at it, but as a skilled player, you might have a better chance.

The Garamantes: They were during this period, small Berber city states in the Sahara that literally flourished thanks to a special groundwater system that they had developed. Wealthy and technologically advanced they profited of a better climate than today in the area. At this point of time they had already existed since 500 BC, but would later sadly be islamised and forced to move out. Later in the development of the mod they might get some unique bonuses too, perhaps with the provincial trade system that Enlil planned earlier. In the mod as of now, they are unified to avoid being swallowed by the AI immediately and won't expand or ally much at all, like it was historically. As the player, you have the unique possibility of changing their destiny and perhaps expand towars the north and the Mediterranean, or to the east? It is entirely up to you.

Vandalica: With their capital based in the old city of Cathage, the Vandals are an old germanic people that have migrated from Scandinavia down to Africa, profiting of the weakness of the dying empire. During this long travel, they pillaged Western Europe and inspired terror. Navally strong and established in multiple isles across the Mediterranean they have previously helped out sacking Rome and have beaten Byzantium. In 480, they are now a powerfull power across the Mediterranean, but religiously their situation is problematic with the Nicene faith being predominant. Historically, Belisarius crushed them in 533 during Justinans reconquests. A major powerhouse ingame that takes different directions everytime as the AI and that has a lot of possibilities. The Arian Huneric is their ruler, of which I will talk more about later :ninja: . The expression of a "vandal" actually originates from them, can you do it justice?

akEgc7T.jpg

But that is not all for today, I will also of course share an image of the religious setup at the same date, 480. This is perhaps one of the most interesting religious situations in the mod (and believe me there are many with Enlil's love for heresies :p). As you can see numerous new religions have been added, all to reflect the diverse situation of the area. I will go through some of them more in detail.

Nicene/Chalcedonian: The old Christian Imperial faith that is still dominant in vast parts of Northern Africa, even after the fall of the Western Roman Empire and the pressure from the heretic Arians. Will be a challenge for any Vandal player and is the faith of Mauretania. For more details, read Enlil's dev diaries. Heresywise Valentianism and Donatism are also present in Africa.

Kemetic: Ancient Egyptian faith, still present in Northern Africa under a limited and a bit different form. The name for this is a bit controversial, but nothing is set in stone.

Central African: Similar to the West African religion of vanilla this is a general term/religion for different central african pagan religious traditions. It can be reformed.

African Solar: An unique African Animist Pagan religion worshipping the sun, similarly to the Zunists in other areas of the world. It is present across different realms in Africa, but is the main religion of Austorani.

Mastimani/Änti/Gurzil: Different Northern African pagan cults present in the area and practised by the Berbers. Gaetula is Mastimani and Laguantan is Gurzil.

For the next prewiew, I plan to go through the British Isles and the setup there in detail.

NOTE: the screenshots were made with the French version (WIP). ;) For the old timers of this mod, this might not be the most interesting thing, but hopefully there are not to many errors and it is not too repetitive. You may report any errors or misunderstandings here. More content will come as frequently as possible until release.

Last edited:
Interesting preview. No cultural map tough ? :(
Will come with the rest. ;) In this batch there was none, but in the overwiew there will be.

It would proabably look more like this:

Leo III (original name Konon), born in Germanikeia - Proabably Helleno-Aramic

Constantine V, born in Constantinople and raised by Leo - Helleno-Aramic

Leo IV the Khazar, born to Constantine and Bolghar princess - Due to his name, perhaps Helleno-Altaic or Helleno-Khazar?

Constantine VI, born to Leo and a Athenian noble - Probably just Greek

Irene, born in Athens and mother of Constantine - Definitely Greek

And let me remind you that not all Emperors, early or late, were simply Greeks

Would being Helleno-Aramic have any effect on titles/names/etc?

Which is kinda assuming being a Isaurian Emperor has an effect on it. But yeah, I know that a lot of Emperors up to Justinian (who probably was the last Emperor to consider himself a quintessential Roman - Latin and all) and post were of different nationalities. Like Herakleios - he was def Armenian.

The Isaurian dynasty is most definetly not Isaurian neither ethnically nor culturally tough.

How come they were called The Isaurian dynasty when they weren't Isaurian? Was it just because Leon was from the Syrian-provinces?

Are you a tester? How could you possibly know what bugs are in? ;) There are very few bugs as of the latest version that we have acess to and the coding issue that Enlil is having is on another version. A vast majority of the testers (in fact all except for Erik W) think that it is ready.

This seems like a good solution:

By the laws I mean just more flavor for the senate. But that should be for the next release.

EDIT: And awesome dev diary;)

Last edited:
Can you reform the Kemetic religion ?
(Yes, I want to spread the might of Râ to Europe !)
Yes, I think so, or you should be able to if it is pagan.
By the laws I mean just more flavor for the senate. But that should be for the next release.
Oh, flavour events are always on the todolist for this mod. ;)
EDIT: And awesome dev diary;)
Thank you, hopefully it was understandable. :p
Would being Helleno-Aramic have any effect on titles/names/etc?

Which is kinda assuming being a Isaurian Emperor has an effect on it. But yeah, I know that a lot of Emperors up to Justinian (who probably was the last Emperor to consider himself a quintessential Roman - Latin and all) and post were of different nationalities. Like Herakleios - he was def Armenian.

How come they were called The Isaurian dynasty when they weren't Isaurian? Was it just because Leon was from the Syrian-provinces?
I fail to see the point of this, there is no need to include all of these cultures for one person. Greek, Armenian and Anatolian are distinct, but small cultures for people with the same language, traditions and writings seem completely unnecessary.

I really hope that religious conversion of characters and provinces is different/slower than in Vanilla CK2?
Yes, different, but not slower. To the countrary, there were a lot more pagans that converted during this timeframe than the standard one.

Yes, different, but not slower. To the countrary, there were a lot more pagans that converted during this timeframe than the standard one.

That is right, but I really don´t want that nearly all minor religions disappear after only around 100-200 years of playing, like it is in Vanilla C2 the case.
Mono-confessional states without any minor-religious diversity as frequently observed in the Vanilla aren´t historical in any way , especially in this timeframe.

That is right, but I really don´t want that nearly all minor religions disappear after only around 100-200 years of playing, like it is in Vanilla C2 the case.
Mono-confessional states without any minor-religious diversity as frequently observed in the Vanilla aren´t historical in any way , especially in this timeframe.
Oh, no Nicene may convert people as usual and same with the other monotheistic faiths, but faiths that did not actuvely convert in real life will have a hard time converting.

What is the African Solar Faith?

What is the African Solar Faith?
Enlil-question, but I think it is some sort of aminist pagan religion with sun worshipping, perhaps some african zunist kind of guys.

Enlil-question, but I think it is some sort of aminist pagan religion with sun worshipping, perhaps some african zunist kind of guys.

This is basically what is said in the flavor text. Culturally, North Africa is spit between Roman proper (tingitania), African romance and various groups of Berbers from Rif Berbers to the Garamantes.

Religion-wise, you forgot to mention the Donatists--a heresy that was fought heavily by the likes of st Augustine that still carries followers in Carthage. They have no new mechanics as of my version, nor do the Valentinians, a gnostic Christian heresy in the Rif, but they both have the potential to revolt and carve out their own kingdoms out of decaying Mauretania and Bandalia. In one of my Himyar games the African Romance Donatists king of Africa united the old lands of Roman Africa into a true successor state.

This is basically what is said in the flavor text.

Religion-wise, you forgot to mention the Donatists--a heresy that was fought heavily by the likes of st Augustine that still carries followers in Carthage. They have no new mechanics as of my version, nor do the Valentinians, a gnostic Christian heresy in the Rif, but they both have the potential to revolt and carve out their own kingdoms out of decaying Mauretania and Bandalia. In one of my Himyar games the African Romance Donatists king of Africa united the old lands of Roman Africa into a true successor state.
I mentioned them, however only briefly.

Status
Not open for further replies.