• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I didn't see it in the one museum I visited. It might have been there (most signs were in Lithuanian only) but I don't recall any "ANBO" or anything with engines that looked pre WWII.

What Museum have you been, this is from Wikipedia: The first flight took place in 1925. Ten years later the aircraft was sold to Lithuanian Aviation Museum in Kaunas where it is exhibited today.

What Museum have you been, this is from Wikipedia: The first flight took place in 1925. Ten years later the aircraft was sold to Lithuanian Aviation Museum in Kaunas where it is exhibited today.
the Lithuanian Aviation Museum in Kaunas...

Guess I didn't look close enough... :(

Welcome, Surt! I was already thinking about that but tank destroyers would be hard to get with 5 IC and 0 MP (I am constantly reinforcing to keep my forces afloat). I was thinking scrapping one or both of my 2 reserve militia regiments for MP, and build some licensed artillery at least..

You take a lot of losses with those all inf divisions and have low combat values, so getting any support units is very positiv.

the Lithuanian Aviation Museum in Kaunas...

Guess I didn't look close enough... :(

I think I will have to visit it myself to find out whether it is still there :D

You take a lot of losses with those all inf divisions and have low combat values, so getting any support units is very positiv.

Yeah.. And I somehow think that meeting Germans/Soviets with infantry only is not advisable.. I will think about your suggestion re TDs and will see what I can do :)

Nice AAR plot, I followed all the posts of the thread :laugh:

Welcome, Unknown Guy :) I am glad you liked it.

Roman Tragedy. January - February, 1943

Operation 'Spartacus'. This was almost exclusively our assignment - rushing through the hills of Campobasso, circling around Vesuvius and taking firm defensive positions behind Volturno river.

From the 12th of January, we were pushing for the west coast of Italy to Caserta, with 4th Inf. division just behind us. Just as we got over the mountains, they were attacked by two Hungarian division, one after another, from across Biferno river, with Yugoslavian bombers circling overhead.

In 4 days, however, the attack was beaten back, with bloodied Hungarians running north. 2315 of their troops were lost, while we had 216 casualties.

Italians fully surrounded in Naples. January 24, 1943

Just a few days later we heard astonishing news - Italy was surrendering! Mussolini is no more in power!

Apparently, Field Marshal Italo Balbo, the leader of blackshirts, former Commander-in-Chief of Italian North Africa, and current commander of Army group West (with this HQ surrounded just south of Taranto) had been negotiating with the British in secrecy for an armistice since the very beginning of invasion of Italy proper.

Italo Balbo and Mussolini. A new Duce rising?

What I found out several days later, is that with a significant part of army surrounded, and tensions within the Fascist party growing, the Grand Council of Fascism was called on the 24th of January, following which, the Italian king Victor Emmanuel III ousted Mussolini, appointed Marshal Balbo as the Prime Minister and tasked him to negotiate for a lasting peace agreement with the Allies in order to stop further any further bloodshed.

The achieved armistice was all over the newspapers. End of January, 1943

Following the announcement, the surrounded Italians laid down their weapons and surrendered en masse - almost 70,000 troops, 9 divisions in total, along with the officers of several Army and Corps level HQs.

However, after the publication of the Balbo's proclamation, Germans started operation 'Achse' - issuing an ultimatum to the commanders of Italian formations still under German-occupied territories - Balkans, Eastern front, northern Italy or France: they were to decide whether they keep fighting alongside Germans, fight them, or disarm peacefully and allow themselves to be repatriated.

Italian commandos from Xº Flottiglia MAS, like most of the divisions on Eastern front, have decided to remain loyal to fascist Italy and the Germans. February, 1943​

With Italian forces surrendering or in disarray, only the auxiliary forces from other nations were stalling our advance north - within next two weeks at least 4 Hungarian and 2 Romanian divisions were surrounded and destroyed, while our losses were mainly due to occasional bombing by Italians while we were marching - there were just that many trucks and carriages laden with supplies and troops.

By the 18th of February the frontline reached the river of Tiber - Rome was close at hand.

Last edited:
The Yanks Are Coming! The Yanks Are Coming! February – March, 1943

Our forces were now being concentrated by the coast of Adriatic, with the next goal further ahead – the fortified port-town of Ancona. It was on the easternmost end of the defensive Trasimene line, an offshoot of Caesar line, stretching from Rome across the Apennines, with artillery positions, bunkers and a whole system of trenches and minefields along the Tiber.

After initial probing attack proved successful, routing ‘Livorno’ Inf. division with only insignificant losses on our side, we were tasked with securing the harbour area intact, so supply ships could dock as soon as possible, and one of the volunteer divisions was attached to us to help clear the town faster.

It was not that simple, however – we were delayed by a massive bombardment the next day, losing nearly 200 men as wounded or killed, and by the morning of Feb 20 we were met by a fresh Italian motorized division.

The attack dragged for several days after our initial assault was beaten down by a hurricane of mortar and artillery fire. February 20-28, 1943

In the end – we won, even though 700 men were lost on our side, with about the same casualties for the Italians. They ran further north, and we kept the port. Our last battle in Italy... Who could have thought?

I still recall sitting at the pier of Ancona harbour and watching first allied ship - some British cruiser, trying to dock, when I heard the radioman of my platoon rushing to me with a piece of paper in his hand and a huge smile across the face: “The Yanks! The Yanks are coming!”

And they really came. A whole army group – two armies, four corps, twenty divisions landed at Naples on the 1st of March, led by Gen.Davies.

We have long suspected, or rather, hoped, that Americans will join the fight in Europe, ever since the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbour more than a year ago, in November, 1941.

However, since then, their nose was seriously bloodied in the Philippines, Pacific Fleet scattered, and most of their Pacific islands were lost to the Japanese, with Midway changing hands at least three times by now.

True, they spearheaded operation Torch several months ago by landing paratroopers in Casablanca, but British have taken over there since then, while an attempt to land diversionary groups in western Finland last spring, in order to help Soviet advance at that time, ended in almost total disaster, when paras were dropped over the island port-town of Mariehamn, too far to south-west.

Night drop over Finland. Americans remained stranded there for almost a year now, with no way to get them out.

Overall, American – Soviet cooperation was really strong from the very start of the war, sometimes surpassing the one with the Allied countries. America was certainly less than willing to join the war when Germany was marching all over European countries, content with engaging the German subs only when their own ships were attacked. According to my brother, it was the understanding of Lithuanian diplomats at that time, that the main force behind such decision was the second-most popular American Communist party.

A slogan, popularized by the Communist Party in the USA. 1939 - 1940.

And just after when Germany and Japan attacked Soviet Union in summer 1941 the public opinion was pressed by them “to support the suffering comrades” in any way possible. And when the Japanese declared war on the US, it was a real concern and even fear not only for Lithuanian Government, but for British as well, that Americans would join Comintern camp instead, in the view that Allies’ situation was really dire in the autumn of 1941 during the battle of Britain.

Churchill and Roosevelt on the after deck of USS Augusta, in Placentia Bay, Newfoundland, discussing future cooperation. October, 1941

I recall that Churchill met Roosevelt again in Cairo last November, as that was a big event for the Brits there and much talked about in the barracks when we were stationed in Alexandria.

Allied conference in Cairo. Late November, 1942​

Then, a few days later there was a peace conference in Tehran with Stalin, when Persia’s (or Iran’s) future was decided. Apparently, the plans for further war against Axis were discussed there as well, perhaps concerning the opening of a real second front against the Germans, not only in Italy, as common declaration was announced in the beginning of December.

Axis threatened with a three-front war. December, 1942​

Last edited:
Wow, a whole US army of dozens of divisions landed in Italy?? That's going to help a lot :)

By the way what would happen to your exile government (in-game) if the Germans surrender? The UK isn't at war with the USSR, is it? Would that be game-over since you have no more common adversary?

Well, as my intent was to keep this as realistic as possible, I think several corps of Americans in European theatre is not that out of proportion. Especially as Brits were taking all the beating up until now. I really hope this will help to even-out things a little.

As for German surrender - Lithuanian Government fled from the Soviets, so I expect them to stay in London, even if Allies are not at war with the SU (yet). Besides, there will still be Japan to conquer for everybody. Of course, considering that war with Germany goes as planned, as we are still only on the outskirts of Rome.

Just so you knew, I think I have broken US AI after it actually joined Comintern after Japanese declaration of war in 1941. I felt that it would destroy my game as it was, thus, I chose to edit the save file to put them into Allies. I guess this changed their usual objectives for a war with Germany to those of the Soviet AI (all of Europe, none in the Pacific), but this is just my guess.. We will see how it goes, as I have played only for one more update, till the end of March.

Sigh sigh what have you done to my Country? ^^ :p

Sigh sigh what have you done to my Country? ^^ :p

I am sorry.. I trully hoped that the country and the people will be spared after Balbo surrendered, but..

It's all them Germans and their threats!

I expect this AAR to go on, until Lithuanian Knights, on white horses, enter the Trakai Castle, puts the Lithuanian flag on top of it, and yells out ''To Moscow!'' :)

I expect this AAR to go on, until Lithuanian Knights, on white horses, enter the Trakai Castle, puts the Lithuanian flag on top of it, and yells out ''To Moscow!'' :)

Hehe :) I guess for his to be true I will have to ask Paradox to make some HOI3->CK2 converter :D

Hehe :) I guess for his to be true I will have to ask Paradox to make some HOI3->CK2 converter :D
Haha, not that they are not used to unrealistic demands from us, the players, but that must be a first even for them. :)

The World Is Young. March, 1943

The first week of March saw us boarding the trains and heading south, to Taranto. Despite the beautiful weather, we were weary, hopelessly weary from all the fights. This last campaign took more than two months without a day for rest, and we already lost count of all the skirmishes, raids, assaults, defences and sorties that we had since the war started - how long ago that was - two, three years already? We somehow managed to live through all of that, and many didn't - almost 45 thousand were killed or wounded already. And there was no end to this in sight.

True, we now had Yankees on our side. We saw them marching north, endless lines of men, trucks, tanks, halftracks.. We saw them on passing trains, smiling, waiving and shouting to us, mostly young and, sadly, mostly without any experience in war.

American soldiers marching up the Appian Way towards Rome. March 7, 1943

By the 9th of March we were all in Taranto - our five divisions, the sailors from transport fleet and even a handful of our pilots with their squadron of surviving ANBOs and Gladiators. All this time they were based in Alexandria, training and flying reconnaissance missions over Egyptian desert and eastern Mediterranean. The planes themselves were repainted recently, but otherwise, they really looked like machines from previous decade (which they were) in comparison to British Hurricanes or American F4F Wildcats, stationed there. Despite that, this time they were assigned as our air cover for the next mission, as other Allied assets were currently tied-up elsewhere.

American, British and Lithuanian fighters at Taranto airbase. March, 1943.​

Operation 'Zeppelin'. We were aware that Americans are preparing for something really big, but noone was telling us what that was, and how does this concern us until the day of briefing, just before a command was issued to board the ships. We were to stage an attack on Albania, in order to give impression to the German command that a major invasion into Balkans is planned.

At the dawn of March 12, under disguise of twilight and light rain, we were already rowing towards the shores of Tirana for a sneak attack, when our invasion fleet was spotted by two squadrons of German naval bombers. Our planes bit deep into the bomber formation, damaging at least two or three, but before they scattered, German fighters showed-up, chasing our guys all over the sky. We had no time to look, of course, but no less than ten of our planes splashed into the waves.

Our flotilla would have been wiped out in the raid, if not protected. March 12, 1943.​

Luckily, the Germans did not return. However, sensing an easy prey, two squadrons of Yugoslavian bombers showed up next morning, but this time our pilots were not alone - three squadrons of American Wildcats had a feast, with almost a third of enemy planes burning and downed, while most of our bigger ships (even if badly battered) managed to reach Tirana that day.

By the 15th of March, Tirana was fully secured. And then we first heard the news about the Americans - they did it! Those lucky bastards did it!

Operation 'Dragoon'. March, 1943

Now the Jerries are in real trouble! I'm really curious how'll the Europe gets cut up after the Axis is gone.

It Lithuania takes on both the Serbs and Croats alone I think they will have their task cut out for them, get the mountain ring and bunker down. Do you even have so many units?

I don't know, the Balkans seem like quite a feat of strength for 2x Inf Div. and 2x Mil Div. and 1 outdated Interceptor squadron. Again, good luck you are an inspiration to us all. I wonder if there is some friendly basketball competition between the Lithuanians and Americans behind the lines?:)