[WIP] Stellaris Zero Parliamentary Bonaza, or (probably) the most advanced Democracy simulation

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Yard1PL

Second Lieutenant
9 Badges
Apr 6, 2016
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Stellaris
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Stellaris: Lithoids
  • Hearts of Iron IV: La Resistance
  • Battle for Bosporus
Hey guys,
Very few of you may recall me helping out with LEGoS mod when Stellaris first came out. Sadly, the scope of the mod and real life commitments have overwhelmed both me and machineking. Recently, I decided to come back into modding. Since internal workings of governments are my pet peeve, and in anticipation of the Banks update (which will render most of this stuff obsolete xD), basing myself off the excellent Stellaris Zero mod, I tried to implement a true, Victoria 2 style Parliament. Here are the results so far:

http://imgur.com/a/vI8Vj

Almost everything written below has already been implemented, only the localization is missing in some places. Every change is made on Stellaris Zero mod, and this changelog assumes that.

• Each policy has a separate configurable cooldown
  • Fully simulated parliament with separate elections (every 6 years) using advanced algorithms in order to provide a realistic outcome
  • Parties can demand policy changes in addition to ethic changes
  • Ethic changes require over 50% seats in parliament
  • Expanded party faction options and modifiers
  • A party can now be banned, preventing it from partaking in parliament but will cause the party to militarize very quickly
  • Democracies have a new policy - Executive - Legislative Power Split which controls the power of parliament over the country:
    Executive Dominance: Parties can only demand ethic change and change of the Power Split policy (not allowed on Good or Incorruptible democratic tradition)
    Pro - Executive: Parties cannot propose new policies but vote on changes of policies by the player, parties can demand ethic change
    Balanced: Both parties and player can propose new policies, parties can demand ethic change
    Pro - Legislative: Both parties and player can propose new policies, parties can demand ethic change, no possibility of vetoing (reduces authority as well - this is a punishment policy instituted if a player makes a party angry by vetoing it repeatedly)
  • Executive - Legislative Power Split can be increased in favor of executive by spending influence or if the ruler's party has a majority
  • Quite well modeled executive-legislative interactions (esp. AI Weights - an AI ruler won't veto their own party, but will veto the opposing ethos party more often)
  • Some small rule changes, eg. synths can only vote if they have citizen rights and so on

EDIT:
Policy change restrictions in place, as well as Executive - Legislative Power Split changing:
http://imgur.com/a/nFEFP

What do you think? This probably won't be released soon, and even if, I will need permissions from the creator of Stellaris Zero, Lord_bobyness.

Last edited:
Seems cool, I'm really hoping you get the permission

Right, pretty much every system is now in place and done. I would like to add some extra mandates for the presidential elections and maybe some more flavor changes. Also, some balancing may be needed, especially with influence costs. If you want to oppose democracy, you'll burn through influence like crazy. Also, gotta test for bugs!

Here is a showcase of how policy change works now:
http://imgur.com/a/nFEFP

Last edited:
9to5f3P.png

You too can perform selective democracy!

Right now I am conducting bug tests, then I'll try to introduce some new hot mandates. Some already done mandates (but not tested and made compatible) are:
  • Liberate country!
  • Guarantee country!
  • Preemptive strike on a hostile empire!
  • Humiliation rival!
  • Stop atrocity!
  • Do not start any wars!
  • Sign a migration treaty!
  • Break a migration treaty!
  • Close borders!
  • Increase number of minority species pops!
  • Decrease number of minority species pops!

I'll need to balance it out so each party has at least one unique one, and then throw in some generic ones as well.

If you have any mandate suggestions, make sure to post them! I'll see what I can do.

Also, about influencing Parliament - the AI can also spend influence to push policies, and will do so under certain circumstances (mostly depending on ruler's party).

How about mandating subject intergration? seems like something xenophiles or collectivist would want.

EDIT: Or something to do with trade sanctions or trade agreements. Thats the aspect of zero I'm focused on right now.

Last edited:
Subject integration sounds good! I'll add that to the list.

Also, I have considered adding advanced versions of governments with bonuses, just like in vanilla, as well as changing the icons a bit. I have also started planning ahead for new governments - dictatorships (inter-party struggle), and possibly a noble republic oligarchy with bonus and malus giving factions (think Estates from EU4). I also have code that automatically converts a sector to a vassal when created, could be useful for space feudalism.

BTW. If you want I can set up a github if you want to take a look at the code I have so far :D It's very extensive, with complete replacements of both vanilla and SZ policy files, pop_factions and couple of edits to existing events. I can't wait to Banks to come out so I can weep at the incompatibilities.

Quick update - a scandal effect can occur (MTTH 25 years, changes depending on democratic tradition), which can either lead to small scandal (reduces party attraction by 20% for 3 years), or a big scandal (55% for 3 years and 20% for next 3). If the scandal occurs in the ruling party (the one the Ruler is a member of), there is either a possibility to spend influence to reduce the duration of the malus in case of small scandal; or to resign and save face or stay in power at a cost of democratic tradition, in which case maluses get extended to 8 years.

1d4bef70a0.png

Furthermore, I have managed to fix the event that was scrapped by Lord_bobyness that puts a leader of yours on trial - you can either agree to remove them or rig the trial, once again losing democratic tradition. MTTH of 35 years, also depending on the current democratic tradition. I am planning to extend the leader corruption system a bit, possibly onto different governments as well.

And as a last thing, leaders for all factions (including separatists, nationalists, etc.) can be generated with a higher skill level than 1, and the higher the skill level, the more attraction the party has. Same effect is given by the Charismatic or Man of the People traits - this is to simulate how powerful leaders can gain more popularity quickly.

Mandates are still untouched, I'll need to overhaul the way pops vote in executive elections as well - right now the changes to that are very minor.

Last edited:
Furthermore, I have managed to fix the event that was scrapped by Lord_bobyness that puts a leader of yours on trial - you can either agree to remove them or rig the trial, once again losing democratic tradition. MTTH of 35 years, also depending on the current democratic tradition. I am planning to extend the leader corruption system a bit, possibly onto different governments as well.

Space Chilcot?

Oh my god. So excited for this. I've pretty much been waiting for this mod since Stellaris was first announced. Now we just need someone to implement Victoria's economy as well...(Hey, I'm allowed to dream!)