Unbreakable Gotland - in-game story of a proud island

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

StasLatGTTT

Private
83 Badges
Jun 9, 2016
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Stellaris
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Colonel
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Stellaris: Federations
  • Magicka 2: Ice, Death and Fury
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Field Marshal
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Cities: Skylines - Natural Disasters
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Battle for Bosporus
  • Surviving Mars
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Europa Universalis 4: Emperor
  • Cities: Skylines - Green Cities
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • Imperator: Rome Deluxe Edition
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Prison Architect
  • Imperator: Rome Sign Up
  • Cities: Skylines - Campus
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Stellaris: Lithoids
  • Surviving Mars: First Colony Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Stellaris: Nemesis
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Victoria 2
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
Intro: I played as Prussia, I had Kurland as march and Sweden as ally. With the latter one we successfully divided Denmark, and while it was on the brink of collapse, Gotland got independent. For a few decades it was like that, until Sweden called me to finally conquer it.

Gotland's only ally Baden died quickly by my subjects, so i decided to watch, how Sweden would take the island on her own. And oh boy, what a show I got.

Sweden had only 12 transport ships, and Gotland had 9k troops. Sweden placed ships in the strait and landed. And then retreated back to mainland, cause easy defeat is not how Gotland works.

One landing after another same thing happened - Swedish troops were sent packing. At least ten times that repeated, until Sweden went all in. She sent all 12k troops, than immediately took 12k more and sent as a second wave. Gotland defeated first landing party, wiped it cause it had nowhere to retreat, and after that defenders were victorius yet again, having second wave retreating too.

By that moment Kurland decided, that it had enough of that nonsense and landed its own 5k. Half of them died. Marches are stupid.

Gotland by that point had no manpower, and only 6k of them remained. Sweden however built 3 more transports, and that time 15k Swedish troops landed on the island. And still heroic soldiers of Gotland secured another victory, bringing even more shame on Swedish crown.

In the meantime ate half of my cookies stockpile, while having immense amount of fun.

Kurland took another try and obviously was not lucky. But Sweden managed to synchronize, and they were late to help Baltic march by mere days. Gotland had no time to restore moral, and in the final battle 4.6k proud islanders finally met their doom against 15k swedish troops.

During that war Gotland lost 25k soldiers, but killed 44k Swedish and 4.5k Kurlandish troops. Their defense was so heroic and epic, that I want Sabaton to write song about them. They deserve it.

Gotland has an interesting and proud history of their own, before finally being integrated in the swedish real they held repute as one of northern europe's most notable trade societies* dealing with trade from novgorod to flanders

*I say society since we can't really call it state or country

Still today some gutes/gotlanders semi-jokingly calls sweden a colonial nation

Your story brings honor to the island of roses in the eastern sea