• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Yes, Indo-European is a language family, and many western European languages are distantly related to languages in India and Persia and such. It's just that I don't think those two words are cognates. Just because they sound similar doesn't mean that they have the same origin.

Yeah that's not one I've heard. It's not impossible, since IIRC Ireland and India share a water goddess named Danu.

A very cursory internet search tells me that, while like anything that old there are competing theories, Eire is considered to come from Proto-Indo-European "*piHwerjon-" with a rough meaning of "abundant land" whereas Iran comes from either "*ar-yo-" or possibly "*haerós", the latter or which may have a cognate in Old Irish "aire" meaning noble or freeman but is not thought to be related to the name of the country.

why god why must it begin again! :(

black death chaos.png

Finnish Sunni raiding host
20170216180609_1.jpg

I think what happened is, this weirdo acquired a Sunni Bedouin physician and got the religious conversion event.

And you are the pagan Holy Roman Emperor?
Not quite. I am the Fylkir of Midgard and Kaiser of the Reformed Germanic German Empire of Germania (with extra Germans).

I'm not exactly sure if the Houris are the first thing that would appear in a 7-years old's idea of an afterlife.
fhS92y3.jpg

Today's Tropes of the Day:
20170216182613_1.jpg

Unfortunate Names

20170216183448_1.jpg
Belligerent Sexual Tension

Also, apparently I had testicular cancer, because this actually worked.
20170216184103_1.jpg

And evidently the Queen of Croatia had a hankering for haggis.
20170216195518_1.jpg

And I don't even know what Cornwall is doing. Or France and Burgundy for that matter.
20170216195710_1.jpg

Playing as the Basilissa, I could matrilineally marry the heir of the Kingdom of Poland. A while later:
CF22583F90A5005B6942786FF7EDF02ACBECD2D5

How I imagine the letter:

Dear husband,
Have you been sending pirates?
Love you, Maria.

P.S. When will you be home for dinner?

3afe5790f13e8127a4178de406af3882.jpg

So overall a bit of a weird game here. We've got AI-formed HRE with almost correct borders + the papacy, a succesful Georgia, French Morocco and Norman Brittany. But perhaps the strangest bit about it is this guy; Caliph Yusuf.

He's a homosexual leader of a Shia uprising that was based in Jerusalem and he has near-signlehandedly been responsible for the destruction of Byzantium. That war with the Abbasids you may have noticed he has? It's 93% warscore on an invasion of mesopotamia. This guy really might be a true prophet, he's something else. And truth be told, I'm half tempted to reload as Byzantium just to see if I can scrape back the Roman Empire.

Truth be told though, I think the Greeks are doomed.

3afe5790f13e8127a4178de406af3882.jpg

So overall a bit of a weird game here. We've got AI-formed HRE with almost correct borders + the papacy, a succesful Georgia, French Morocco and Norman Brittany. But perhaps the strangest bit about it is this guy; Caliph Yusuf.

He's a homosexual leader of a Shia uprising that was based in Jerusalem and he has near-signlehandedly been responsible for the destruction of Byzantium. That war with the Abbasids you may have noticed he has? It's 93% warscore on an invasion of mesopotamia. This guy really might be a true prophet, he's something else. And truth be told, I'm half tempted to reload as Byzantium just to see if I can scrape back the Roman Empire.

Truth be told though, I think the Greeks are doomed.

I hope that HRE survives. I rarely ever see an HRE with near perfect borders

Do not know how strange it is, but I had to laugh quite a bit...
After my Mongol hordes conquered Rum, the Seljuks send their best to reclaim their home land...

First a jewish, ashkenasio, homosexuell wolfsblood (his wife was sitting in my prison before the realm purge):
Jewish Seljuk.png

Second a proper muslim, but possessed, stressed out Seljuk with ugly feet:
Possessed Seljuk.png

Both prepared invasions obviously failed and since then I think I killed ALL the Seljuks.

2e5imv4.png

Who said Republic of Ragusa can't exist? XD

Dandolo Ironman starting 1184. (Duke from HRE claiming Croatia, Sicily winning crusade and Byzs... nowhere to go further)

Last edited:
2e5imv4.png

Who say Republic of Ragusa can't exist? XD

Dandolo Ironman starting 1184. (Duke from HRE claiming Croatia, Sicily winning crusade and Byzs... nowhere to go further)

Not a great situation... I think you want to swear fealty to the HRE, it looks like the least bad of some fairly rubbish options.

lp13Yx2.jpg

Daym. Does that happen often?

I impregnated all the female lovers from the fertility concoction event, including my sister. Interestingly, the child didn't turn out inbred.

Last edited: