• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Dr Pearceson

Captain
46 Badges
Dec 20, 2012
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Semper Fi
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Magicka
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • For the Motherland
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Magicka: Wizard Wars Founder Wizard
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • Prison Architect
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Crusader Kings III: Royal Edition
  • Europa Universalis 4: Emperor
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Stellaris
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • 500k Club
  • Victoria 2
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
It's been too long since I wrote an AAR, and the World of Ice and Fire Book inspired me to get back into the GoT Mod. Maekar seemed like an itneresting start, so I chose to play as him. His low diplomacy and mixed traits makes him an interesting challege, as does his array of potential heirs.

The Iron Dragon
Chapter One: A Rough Start to a Reign, 221 AC

DxwodFp.jpg

The throne was uncomfortable, but Maekar liked it that way. His ancestor, King Aegon the Conqueror, had designed it so no man could sit upon it and be happy.

His council and court, as well as many lords and nobles had gathered. With his brother Aery’s dead a few months ago, it was Maekar’s first time holding court as King, and no doubt everyone wanted to view the spectacle. And with Maekar’s plans for his council, it might be one.

Below him stood his four sons and the wives of three of them, as well as their unwed sister. The newly named Prince of Dragonstone, Daeron, who Maekar had been told had been nicknamed Daeron the Drunkard, much to the King’s distaste. He loved all of his sons, but Daeron liked his whores and liked his drink, shying away from fights. Vowing to try and shape his heir into a better man before it was too late, Maekar looked to the Prince’s wife, Kiera Tumitis; formerly the wife of Maekar’s nephew Valarr, who had been Baelor’s son.

Baelor…

UchcBHp.jpg
eZDlbUe.jpg

Feeling his grip tighten on the Iron throne, Maekar cleared his minds of those thoughts for now. Kiera’s father was Archon of Tyrosh, and her marriages into the Royal family had been part of paying off debts built up by Maekar’s grandfather’s rule, his bastard uncle’s war.

Next in the Royal Family was Aerion. Aerion. Maekar could still remember the distasteful events that led to his eldest brother’s death. Aerion was the most martial and bold of Maekar’s sons, but even the King was aware of the troubled aspects of his son’s personality, even if he was sure it was exaggerated. Next to Maekar stood his cousin and wife, Rhaegal’s daughter, Daenora. Rhaegal. Gods, he was dead too. All three of Maekar’s brothers were dead. He was all that was left.

OpKKuhT.jpg
32lJSQX.jpg

The youngest of Maekar’s sons was next; Aegon. Deep down, Maekar knew him to be his favourite. Prince Aegon could be soft at times, and stubborn at other times, but he could be hard-working as well, and Maekar knew he possessed a strong sense of justice. With him was his wife, Bertha Blackwood, a girl as equally stubborn allegedly, who held their son Duncan.

BpqAfYT.jpg
ErWEbrY.jpg

Duncan, named after the hedge knight. Not any hedge knight. The Hedge knight. Ser Duncan the Tall.

The King’s unwed daughter and youngest child Rhae stood beside her brothers; an outgoing girl, but also lazy and Maekar knew her to have his temper.

9UPDLLH.jpg

Off to the side stood Aemon, Maekar’s third son and Maester of the citadel for Dragonstone. The smartest son, and a good man, Maekar felt himself frown; if he knew he was ever to be king, he’d never have let him become a man of the chain.

OMn1uA1.jpg

Sighing, he reckoned it was time to start affairs. He hoped he didn’t anger anyone too much, but if he did, he had his three Kingsguard infront of him; Lord Commander Alyn Connington, Ser Roland Crakehall, and Ser Willem Wylde. All good men, all good fighters, but they were close to Maekar in age and only three. Four slots needed to be filled.

“My gathered Lords and Ladies.” Years a commander had left Maekar with a voice of authority. All looked up at their new King. “With my brother’s passing, I have decreed it is time to change the council. Lord Lucifer Darklyn, come forth.”

Muttering broke out amongst the gathered nobles as the Lord of Duskendale went to one knee before the throne. A man of a paranoid mind, it was said, but also a lazy one. “You have served the realm loyally as Master of Whispers, but it is time for you to return home.”

The man managed an ‘as you wish, your grace’ before returning to his place.

‘Now time for the true controversy.’ Maekar thought grimly. His gaze fell on his hand and uncle, Brynden Bloodraven. ‘He holds a station that should have been mine. Well it’s his no longer.’

Calling the man forth, Maekar watched as he went to one knee swiftly. The King suspected the bastard had already figured out. “Brynden Bloodraven, you have done admirably as Hand of the King, but I believe all here can agree your talents best lie in your old position in the council. I hereby name you Master of Whispers.”

8twvcio.jpg

“Very well, your grace.” Was the cold response as the bastard looked up at the throne, allowing Maekar to see his look of disdain. Bloodraven returned to his position.

Finally, Maekar had to address the issue of the new Hand. “Lord Gerold Lannister, come forward.” The Lord of Casterly Rock, and Warden of the West, strode forward before the throne. “I offer you the position of Handship. Do you accept?” The gossiping had reached a crescendo now, but the King raised his hand and soon had silence, although it took longer than Maekar would have liked.

Z0gBRVW.jpg

“I accept, your Grace.” That was good news; Lord Lannister was known as a great diplomat and administrator.

As for one final matter, the King needed to rebuild his Kingsguard. “Ser Duncan the Tall, come forward.” A gasp went up as the giant of a hedge knight made his way from the back where he had been situated. He fell to one knee.

“My son served you as a squire, and I thank you for all you have done for him. Many know you to be a great knight. I offer you a position in my Kingsguard.”

The knight looked up at the king, then to Aegon who Maekar saw nod at his friend. But the hedge knight gave a quick shake of his own head before speaking. “I’m sorry your Grace, I can’t.”

‘Refused by a hedge knight.’ Maekar thought darkly as the whispers in the crowd resumed. ‘What a wonderful start to my reign.’

***​

King Maekar, the First of his name, inherited the throne from his brother Aerys with his death. The King’s first order of business was to rebuild his Kingsguard, which had been left with only three members. However, this proved to be a harder task than initially thought. After Ser Duncan’s refusal of the White Cloak, King Maekar reached out to the Tarths, who’s heir he had wed his eldest daughter to.

Ser Quentyn Storm, Bastard of Tarth, had a reputation as a great fighter, however when he was summoned to the capital and offered a white cloak, he too refused. This was only the start of a series of complications involving the Kingsguard.

Annoyed at men’s refusal to serve him, the King turned to other matters. His youngest daughter was still as of yet unwed and rumour started to spread King Maekar was seeking a match for his daughter. In the end, discussion came down to whether it’d be the young Lord of Highgarden, Lord Denys Tyrell, or the as of yet unwed Lord Jasper Arryn of the Vale. Many speculated the Blackfyres would be the deciding factor; while the Reach had the largest army in Westeros, but she harboured strong pro-Blackfyre feelings. Also, Lord Denys was a young man of six-and-ten, while Lord Jasper was already in his mid-twenties; his grip on his vassals was stronger.

It was for these reasons a raven flew to the Eyrie, and soon it was announced Princess Rhae Targaryen was to marry Lord Jasper Arryn. However, even this would be joyous occasion was marred. A dowry was tradition, and the King fully intended to respect that to make a good showing for his vassals. However, years of a bookish King and a Hand more intrested in intrigue than finance had left the Royal coffers not empty, but not overflowing either, and the dowry sent was half of what one would expect for a Princess. Lord Arryn was said to not be pleased.

QrPA8IS.jpg

And only days after Princess Rhae left for the Vale did the next problem arise; rather suddenly, Lord Commander Alyn Connington, who some called the Pale Griffin died. This reduced the Kingsguard to but two sole members, Wylde and Crakehall.

noLoIXG.jpg

The King sent ravens and riders all over the realm with a renewed effort to find men to don the white cloak. Ideally he had wanted young, noble men who were skilled, but in his three choices each was lacking one of these traits. First came Ser Denys Pyror, a man of thirty but thankfully unwed. He carried a reputation as not only a skilled fighter, but as an honourable man, and choosing him was a boon to the Vale, hopefully healing any upset over the Dowry. Maekar’s first appointment to the Kingsguard couldn’t be more ideal. Maekar then turned to Storm’s End next. Ser Richard Baratheon wasn’t skilled in fighting, but he was competent and possessed his family’s strength. However Maekar was most interested in his name, as having a Baratheon in his Kingsguard would give it a fresh prestige.

However, Baratheon refused the White Cloak, and Maekar turned to someone quite the opposite. Rather than a son of a Lord Paramount, the King seeked out a young household knight in Harroway’s Town. Ser Florian was a man of five-and-twenty, known for his devotion and, despite such little wealth of his own, his charity. It was also said he was skilled with the blade, which lead to him being summoned to court and, to the King’s relief, accepting the white cloak.

eduahg2.jpg
Pc9ZL0i.jpg

Ser Rolland Crakehall was named Lord Commander of the Kingsguard; such a man of strong health was expected to serve for at least another decade. And yet only a week later he died. Whispers started to spread across court; this was Bloodraven’s revenge! Prince Aerion was killing off these men to fill his father’s Kingsguard with lesser men, to make it easier to kill him! Other’s said it was the new Lord Commander, Willem Wylde, but this was most unlikely, as Ser Willem had a reputation to be the most honourable and honest man in the realm. Finally, some claimed it to be King Maekar himself, who was set on building his own Kingsguard. All of these rumours, however, were unfounded.

QBCClaL.jpg

And anyway, they were drowned out by biggest event since the Blackfyre rebellion.

***​

The young whore stood nervously in the room, unsure of what to expect. It was a lush, beautiful room; a Myrish rug on the floor, a set of expensive swords hung up as decoration, even a white lion pelt to be shown off as well. In truth, she had heard all of the nasty rumours surrounding Prince Aerion, but she had been desperate for money and the Prince was paying well, so she had swallowed her fears and told herself she could deal with any eccentricities in the bedroom the Prince’s wife was unwilling to give. Aerion’s goons had smuggled her into the manse on the outskirts of the city.

Marya jumped as the door suddenly opened, and two figures walked in, a man and a woman. The woman held a small box, the man a knife. Her heart thundering, Marya’s fears started to return.

“Ah the sweet little thing my friends have fetched me.” Drawled the man, who Marya now realised was Prince Aerion. His hair was silver and his eyes a deep and dark purple; he stood tall and proud, as a Prince was want to do. His companion had the same silver hair and purple eyes, if they were a few shades lighter. She looked to be Marya’s age, and the whore figured out she was the Prince’s wife, Daenora Targaryen.

‘Oh, so that’s it. They both want to be pleased.’ However doubts remained as her gaze returned to the knife. Slowly, like a cat, the Prince approached and roughly shoved her down on to the bed, his wife behind him. He opened the box, but his figure blocked her view. However when Aerion turned around once more, she was relieved to see the knife was gone. ‘Maybe he wants her to watch?’ Marya thought as the Prince climbed on top of her, while Daenora moved to the side of the bed. The harsh kisses from Aerion distracted her, but she could swear she could hear the clicking of latches. The Prince arose from her lips, back straight as he looked down. Suddenly, a strange stone was placed in his arms. No not stone, an egg. A dragon egg…

Aerion placed it on Marya’s belly, who was now very confused. Daenora produced a jug and handed it to her husband, who poured it onto Marya. The liquid was green and nothing like Marya had ever seen or felt. “My houses words are fire and blood. And fire and blood will return our glory.” Aerion told Marya, a crazed look in her eyes. A pain like being punched hit her stomach, and the whore looked down to see Daenora had stabbed her. She let out a breathless scream as Daenora stabbed her four more times, blood mingling with the strange liquid. Any attempts to throw off Aerion were useless, but the Prince got off her as she strength seeped out of her. The royals stood aside, Daenora now holding a candle. “We thank you for your service to House Targaryen, as well as anyone else who perishes tonight. A begging word of mercy tried to force its way out of Marya, but it was pointless as the Princess threw the candle on her and she lit up in fire.

Aerion and Daenora rushed from the room as the fire spread, quickly making their way to observe the flames from a hopefully safe distance.

When morning broke, the mewling of a newly hatched dragon filled the air.

IcjCXJh.jpg

• 2Like
Reactions:
Well now, that is an introduction full of portent both good and bad.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Chapter Two: The Struggles of Ruling, 221 AC - 223 AC

The door to the Maester’s room on Dragonstone creaked open.

Aemon was working late into the night; he was always studying and carrying out research, and part of him was even thankful his brother Daeron didn’t have any children to teach as it left him more time for his work.

Turning to face the door, a weary smile spread across his face. Entering the room was the Prince of Dragonstone himself, Daeron Targaryen. He looked haggard and hungover, skin blotchy and red from drink. A wild look was clear in his bloodshot eyes.

Aemon recognised the look. “Another dream?” Without a word, Daeron slumped in a spare chair and nodded his head. “Do you wish to tell me?” It was never certain if Daeron would share what he’d seen in his sleep or not, but he always seeked refuge in his brother’s room; Aemon reckoned he was the one person to take him seriously.

Slowly, Daeron pulled himself up straight. “I saw a Dragon, on a regal and grand chair.” He began.

“It was an iron Dragon; it’s flesh dark, metal. It had no wings and could breathe no fire, but it was ferocious all the same; I could tell it was a monster, a thing of strength. But three spectres floated above him, whispering in his ear; a fool, a scholar, and a knight with a caved in head. And the chair, the chair was splintering and falling apart. The Iron Dragon was trying to keep it together, but he was struggling. At his feet, a pregnant woman screamed as she gave birth, but no sound came from her.”

He paused, Aemon observing him instinctively reaching for a drink. A small string of curses escaped Daeron’s lips before he continued. “Above the Iron Dragon, two other dragons thought; one was a brilliant green, so bright it hurt to look at, the other the dull colour of mud. They were making the most beautiful spectacle in the world, I hardly saw the storm.”

“The storm?” Aemon asked, curious.

His older brother nodded. “The storm; a terrible tornado of snow and water, twisting and destroying all in its path, and in the centre of this storm; a black Dragon.”

The mention of a Black dragon sent a shiver down Aemon’s spine. “Get some sleep, Daeron.”

***​

Maekar, flanked by his three Kingsguard, all that showed of the revered order, rode along the streets towards the manse. Household guard and City Watchmen guarded him, as well as the entire court. Everyone wanted to see this.

They soon arrived at where the fire had started; the city watch had contained it by tearing down surrounding buildings before stepping back and watching the fires consume what they could reach. Thankfully, only a few had died, but even still the streets were tense.

Standing before the ruins was Prince Aerion, Maekar’s most… controversial son. He wore a wild grin, and had an excited look in his eyes.

“Look, father, look!” He cried as he stepped forward, holding something in his arms. As he approached, Maekar realised the new rumours were true.

In Aerion’s arms there was a dragon.

“My son.” Maekar whispered to himself, no one hearing him. “What have you done?”

ebJ0P8H.jpg

***​

Aerion enjoyed a new popularity at court, and nobles and other people of note came from all over to marvel at his new pet. Under the advice of his Hand and Master of Whispers, Maekar took the intiative with this increased traffic in the capital and went searching for men to fill the places of his Kingsguard. In the following month alone, despite some refusals, the King got three new appointments.

First was Ser Bedwyck Wyl, a young knight of one-and-twenty, already gaining a reputation to be one of the finest fighters in all of Dorne. The younger son of a Lord in a land where even his elder sisters would inherit before him, Ser Bedwyck was more than happy to take up the white cloak. It was a safe choice.

The same could not be said about the following choice; Ser Leo Tyrell, kin to Lord Denys. Ser Leo was the youngest Kingsguard in history, joint with the Dragonknight of being six-and-ten when he joined the order. While he already had a name as a skilled opponent, and was already knighted at a young age, it was rumoured he had an appetite for women, opposing one of his sacred vows as a Kingsguard.

A third appointment was Ser Alaric Musgood from the Stormlands, an honest and charitable man, as well as skilled. He was another young choice, only two years older than Tyrell.

QDH9yE0.jpg
7zkzkpX.jpg
CSadElL.jpg

As the new year turned over into the next one, troubling tales started to arise. Bloodraven reported to the King the Lords of the North and Iron Islands, William Stark and Loron ‘the Bard’ Greyjoy, were scheming together; both wanted to crown themselves King, and it seemed they were intent on standing together in this endeavour. Even worse, it was said if the North was to remain in the realm, Lord Stark was not happy to call Maekar King, and was attempting to build support for Aenys Blackfyre, the eldest living son of Daemon Blackfyre.

There was even bad news from Dragonstone; the High Septon was reported to have visited Dragonstone, where Prince Daeron was said to be openly challenging his father’s rule. However, only a few days after this news reached King Maekar and his Council, Prince Daeron went into hiding.

It was clear there was dissent in the Realm, and King Maekar’s grip on the throne not as tight as he or others initially assumed. Upon his own volition, King Maekar sent out word to all the Lord’s of the realm he was proposing several new laws and edicts to lower the authority of the Crown and increase the rights of lords. Meanwhile, his Master of Laws Olyvar Martell was sent to Highgarden to insure Lord Denys Tyrell’s support.

As the second month of 222 AC arrived, things seemed to be going better. Maekar’s new laws had support, and many lords were seeing their King in a more favourable light, securing him more support. Around this time, Daeron came out of hiding while Ser Bryen Tollet, a brave, skilled knight in his mid-thirties took up the last spot in Maekar’s Kingsguard.

KZDdn49.jpg
BgCIq5u.jpg

Only a few times in the past had so many spots in the Kingsguard had needed to be filled so quickly, and yet all this men could be called worthy. Only one was not Maekar’s choice, the Lord Commander Willem Wylde.

Ser Denys Pryor, Ser Florian, Ser Bedwyck Wyl, Ser Leo Tyrell, Ser Alaric Musgood, and Ser Denys Tollet.

However the rest of the year was unremarkable, except in matters of misfortune. Lord Greyjoy was reported to be spreading slander of the King, but there wasn’t enough evidence to justify imprisoning the man for his actions against his liege. In Highgarden, Lord Tyrell wrote to Maekar that Olyvar was also slandering and speaking ill of the King, but Maekar was unsure if this was Tyrell’s own agendas speaking and did not act, especially considering Martell was a key ally and his cousin. By the May of that year, Greyjoy was now a part of Stark’s pro-Blackfyre cause, as was Lord Bywater in the Crownlands.

Daeron had not yet abandoned his open defiance of his father, and so to not only protect him but keep an eye on him, the King sent Ser Florian to serve as his Kingsguard protector.

Support for Blackfyre only grew, and by September of 222 AC, The High Septon and Lord Tully were also now aligned with Stark.

The rest of that year passed without incident, but as 223 AC arrived, Bloodraven’s whispers and Lord Lannister’s encouragement convinced Maekar to hatch a plot; to kidnap Aenys Blackfyre and drag him across the Narrow Sea and into the black cells; Stark and his allies could not fight for the man if the King had him hostage afterall.

H97zrVC.jpg

Plots took time, though, and the King distracted himself with matters of state. Despite the uncertainty of his rule, Maekar knew he had a duty to the realm and was content to do it; some say he even enjoyed Kingship. The crown had given him a new burst of life and in April of 223 AC, he announced he was ready to remarry.

Different noble girls were considered for the King’s hand, but in the end it was decided Teana Durwell, daughter of the Lord of Dosk, would be suitable. Eight-and-ten, she was said to be a quiet, pleasant girl. Many said there were more political matches, but those were girls who still had some years before they could properly be married, while Teana was available now and ready now.

lAxRJni.jpg
2cmBOSW.jpg

King Maekar Targaryen and Queen Teana Durwell were soon wed in a quiet, private ceremony. However, ever the attention seeker, Aerion mounted his dragon Angogon as the celebrations came to a close. The King was said to be confident on his wedding day, and yet his marriage would only last a few months…

Perhaps envious of his older brother and rival, over the months of May and June Aegon would attempt to use wildfire and then actual fire to hatch his own dragon egg, yet to no avail. For a while this would be the talk of the court, until a truly massive scandal erupted.

***​

King Maekar sat upon the Iron Throne, holding court. Only one of his sons was in attendance; Prince Aegon. Daeron and Aemon remained on Dragonstone, where Maekar feared they were hatching treason, while Aerion had opted to avoid court to fly on Angogon.

Most would find the matters of state tiring and dull, but Maekar knew it was his duty to his House, and had to show he was a just man. Farmers were given compensation, thieves had their hands removed, and landed knights had their squabbles solved. It was turning out to be a standard day in terms of ruling went, but when his Queen stepped forward, Maekar sat up a little straighter.

They had only been wed for two months, and she was still a stranger to him. As he had been told, she was a quiet girl, who kept to herself. And yet, when they were alone for the evening, a different side to her appeared…

Looking down at Taena from the monstrosity he sat upon, the King could have sworn she wore a look of fear in her eyes.

“Your Grace, I’m…” She was hesitating. What was it she wanted to say? Had she heard some treason from someone?

“Your grace I’m pregnant.”

The court erupted into talk as Maekar allowed himself a smile. It had been too long since he had been an expectant father, and it still felt as good as it had the first time.

“But the child isn’t yours… It’s Septon Osfryd’s.”

NhGttj8.jpg

The smile dropped from Maekar as the throne room went silent. His face shifted into a dark frown.

Voice cold and emotionless, Maekar spoke. “Lord Commander Wylde, seize my wife and take her to her chambers; place her under House arrest until I tell you otherwise.”

“Ser Denys, Ser Bryen, take Septon Osfryd to the Black Cells, where he will await my judgement.”

The three Kingsguard moved forward without a word as the other three stood vigilant in front of the throne. Taena burst into tears and fell to her knees. As the Lord Commander reached her, he gently picked her up into his arms. Meanwhile Septon Osfryd was hurling foul words at the King and Queen alike as Ser Denys and Ser Bryen dragged him away.

Ifnh09f.jpg

• 2Like
Reactions:
My goodness he just can't catch a break.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Chapter Three: Trial and Tensions. 223 AC

Heavy footsteps sounded out as the four men made their way through the Black Cells. The only light were the two torches, one held by the Gaoler and one by Ser Leo Tyrell. Maekar’s fists were clenched, anger coursing through his veins as Ser Bryen Tollett walked by his side in silence. Soon enough they found him, chained up and looking disgusting.

“Septon.” The King said the word like it was venom, spitting it out. Osfryd looked up at him. “The Queen has confessed your whole illicit affair; how you seduced her when she’d pray with you, goading her and taking her into your bed. She made it sound very one sided in who was wooing who.”

“It was both of us your grace, I swear! She begged me, telling me you were a cruel and harsh husband! I believed her!” The Septon cried, begging eyes looking up at the King.

No sound escaped the King’s lips as he glared down at the pitiful excuse of a man, but his anger took control and a powerful kick was delivered to Osfryd’s ribs. A yelp of pain echoed through the Cells. “I have no doubts she played her part, Septon, and is not entirely blameless. She will stand trial before my Hand. But as for you; you have committed treason. Do you know about the Toynes, Septon?” The prisoner’s eyes widened in fear, remembering how Maekar’s grandfather had a Kingsguard cut into pieces for sleeping with his mistress. “You are to be hanged. Enjoy the Seven Hells.”

With that he turned and left, his escort accompanying him, as Osfryd screamed out for mercy.

Fs0WanY.jpg

The next day the Septon’s body was hung from the Red Keep’s walls, a warning to all traitors, while the court gathered in the throne room. It was time for Taena Durwell’s trial.

The King strode down the hallway of the Red Keep, all his kingsguard barring Ser Alaric with him, as well as his two sons Aerion and Aegon. “Why even give the bitch a trial?” Aerion asked, voice cruel and sly. “Just give her to my dragon, and we’ll show the realm the justice of our House.”

Aegon looked at his brother with disgust. “Are you mad? The realm would rise up instantly if we murdered a noblewoman without trial. Father, just seek annulment from the High Septon. This whole affair can be solved without theatrics.”

Maekar shook his head. “No, there must be a trial. We must show the realm that while I am King, I will rule justly.”

They entered the throne room and all eyes fell on them. For a moment Maekar felt uncomfortable; all his life he had been in the shadows until the crown had fallen to him. However the feeling soon passed; he was a King now, a just King. With his sons and five Kingsguard he crossed the room and reached his throne. The small council were already gathered, with Lord Gerold Lannister seated in a judge’s chair.

Maekar climbed his throne and took his place, shouting out; “Bring in Queen Taena! Her trial begins now.”

Queen Taena was looking straight down at the floor as Ser Alaric Musgood led her in. There were heckles from the court as her family watched her in stoic silence. With a raised hand from the King everyone went silent.

“Queen Taena Durwell.” Began Lord Lannister. “You are here to be tried for the crime of adultery. How do you plead?”

For the first time the girl looked up. Even from atop the Iron Throne Maekar could see her eyes were red from crying, and the look she gave him was one of hate. For an instant he wondered if he should have heeded Aegon’s advice, but he soon threw away this doubt.

“I demand a Trial by Combat.” She managed to shout out with a shaky voice.

SV3Ptrc.jpg

“And I shall be her champion!”

The Queen’s father, Lord Omer Durwell strode forward. He wore a look of rage, glaring at any man to challenge him. Maekar put his age at near forty, but he was not a man of much reknown in battle. Still, with his daughter’s honour on the line, he might fight like the Warrior himself.

2wcKydE.jpg

“Very well, you have that right.” Maekar replied. He looked down at his six White cloaks. “One of my Kingsguard shall face your father. My knights, do any of you volunteer.”

Almost instantly, Ser Bedwyck Wyl moved from his position and went to one knee before the throne. “Your Grace, I ask the honour of being your champion.”

NxULJ4a.jpg

Maekar smiled to himself; Bedwyck was said to be the finest fighter in his Kingsguard. “Very well, I accept.”

The fight was to be in the Red Keep’s Godswood. Donning plain, steel plate, an axe and shield in his hands, was Lord Omer. His shield bore his family’s sigil, while the crest of his helm was a boar. No men cheered as he stepped forward, ready to fight for his daughter. For a moment, Maekar felt a pang of sympathy for the Lord; he reminded him of himself, years ago.

Unwillingly, Maekar’s mind travelled back to that fateful day. Some hedge knight had dishonoured one of his sons and allegedly kidnapped another one, and wounding a third. Such a matter had ended with the set-up of a trial by combat, but Aerion had forced it into a Trial by Seven.

And Seven had fought, including Maekar, who had felt the needed to defend his children’s honour. And it had ended with him striking down his own brother and killing him.

“Your Grace?” The voice of Lord Commander Willem Wylde, one of the men who had fought by Maekar’s side that day, brought him back into the present. “They are ready.”

Indeed, they were; Ser Bedwyck was clad in white steel, a snowy cloak cascading off his shoulders and down his back. He held a longsword in both hands, opting for no-shield. Both he and Lord Durwell were looking to Maekar.

“Begin.”

A roar echoed out of Lord Omer’s helm as he charged forward. The speed of the Lord took Bedwyck by surprise, and he stepped out of the way of several axe strikes, opting to block the weaker blows with his plate armour.

However, Wyl soon regained his momentum, avoiding strikes easier and easier. Suddenly, his pommel connected with Omer’s helm, dizzying the Lord. Following through with a stab into the gap between the chest-plate and the left pauldron, his opponent could barely get back in time, and sure enough Lord Durwell soon had blood running down his armoured chest. As Wyl maintained stab and lunge, it was clear Durwell was struggling to hold off the attacks with his shield.

Shouts of encouragement echoed out for Wyl, especially from Aerion. King Maekar, however, opted to remain silent, watching the youthful and skilled Wyl push back his inferior opponent. A low stab to the right knee hindered Durwell further, followed by another pommel hit to the helmet.

Taena was screaming for her father to fight on, but it was clearly over; Durwell was struggling to stay up while Ser Bedwyck was as fit as ever.

“Yield!” Bedwyck called out for all to hear.

Amongst the screams, Maekar couldn’t hear Omer’s breathless reply, but from the fact Wyl marched forward he could guess what it was.

Wyl made a few more strikes which Durwell just managed to keep off, but then it ended with a lunge to the throat, and the steel of Ser Bedwyck’s sword went deep into the flesh. Durwell dropped, defeated, and drowned in his own blood.

wOnkiOr.jpg

Already sensing his Small Council closing in to advise him on what to do next, Maekar waved them off and rose. His steely gaze fell on his wife. Execution crossed his mind, but the innocent child in her stomach crossed her mind. Still something had to be done. “Taena Durwell, I hereby sentence you to join the Silent Sisters; hereby you renounce any claims or marriages, and shall take a vow to never speak again. Take her away.”

uOXfNom.jpg

***​

Soon after the Trial, the Hand of the King and others started to advise the King to seek a new wife, and one suggestion was the strongest politically. Lord Clarence Bywater was rumoured to support Lord Stark’s faction to install Aenys Blackfyre on the throne, and his lands were right next to the capital; if he was to join a war against Maekar he could severely hinder the war effort. However he had a young daughter, Arianne, who was not yet betrothed. Ravens were sent, and Maekar was betrothed to a girl younger than him by almost four decades.

hXbqll9.jpg

Meanwhile, Aegon finally succeeded in something he had already tried twice.

Renting out a blacksmith’s furnace, he had thrown his egg into the intense flames. And after hours of labouring over it, it had hatched.

B2Z3eZl.jpg

However, the Maesters of the court took him aside, to reveal he was suffering from blood loss; rather than use the blood of an innocent, Aegon had near killed himself to hatch his dragon. Forced to rest for a whole week, some said it was only the presence of his dragon keeping him alive, as it grew while he healed. And when he emerged, fully recovered, he revealed its name; Galeglider.

82ddTBT.jpg

Aerion was enraged; he was the Prince with the Dragon. Already a Dragon-rider, it was said he was tempted to ride down and kill the hatching, but stern words from his father stopped his madness. Still, it was well known Aerion and Aegon hated one another, and the two having dragons created an uneasy tension; some speculated all that kept them in line now was their father, and when he passed and Daeron took the throne, the court would divide like it did before the Dance of Dragons. However, both Betha Blackwood and Daenora Targaryen were pregnant, and if there was a son to one and a daughter to the other, they may wed in time and reconcile Brightflame and the Smallfolk Prince.

With two dragons being hatched, talks of independence from the Ironborn and North, and with pro-Blackfyre sentiment on the rise, the tension in the realm was reaching a breaking point.

PyVkjto.jpg

War broke out in the Reach in October; Lord Aladore Florent pushed his brother Jon’s claim on Highgarden, with Lord’s Oakheart and Willum backing him.

However only six days later something much more drastic occurred.

***​

Some men screamed at bad news, others wept. But, Aegon observed, his father’s fury was something cold and harsh. The letter from Winterfell must have been read by him a dozen times. The Hand hadn’t even arrived, and Aegon knew what that meant; his support couldn’t be relied on. The Grand Maester had already written to Highgarden, to inform Olyvar Martell he was to return to Sunspear and rally his men.

“Father, allow me to ride my dragon and led our forces.” Offered Aerion. Aegon glared at his older brother; this wasn’t the time to go boasting and trying to impress father.

Finally, Maekar spoke. “Send out the Ravens. Let all true men fight for me.” Nodding, the Grand Maester left the Small Council chamber. “Lannister’s absence is telling, but I have more pressing issues; Lord Qarlton” The two Princes looked at the remaining Small Council member. “I know you are Master of Coin, and this wouldn’t normally concern you, but I will need you to draft up a list of men to act as Hand. My sons will assist, and will help run the capital in my absence.”

“Father I wish to fight by your side.” Aegon said, rising, upset his father didn’t want him by his side.

“As do I; our enemies will perish before me!” Boasted Aerion, clearly angry at Maekar.

“No!” Both sons backed down. Maekar glared at them both. “I need you to be safe; if anything were to happen to me, Daeron will need you both in this. Lord Commander Wylde will join me, as will Lord Humfrey Chelsted if he remains loyal. If Bloodraven returns let me know. As for now… I have a war to fight. Stark, Greyjoy, Tully. Let them raise the Black Dragon’s banner. I will crush them all.”

gVGNxCv.jpg

Note: Shorter Chapter here, not a lot to write between the trial and the start of the war, expect something longer for the Fourth Blackfyre Rebellion!

• 2Like
Reactions:
The marital discord matched the discord in the realm.

subbed!

Sorry for the long hiatus! Exams and revision has taken up a lot of time! But the AAR is still on!

Chapter Four: The Fourth Blackfyre Rebellion Part One: The Black Wolf, Fish, and Kraken, 223 AC - 225 AC

Only a few days after Stark and his allies declared Blackfyre as King Aenys the Second of His Name, good and bad news arrived in the capital; the King’s cousin, Prince Olyvar Martell, had declared himself loyal to House Targaryen, bringing with him the entirety of Dorne behind him. However, Lord Arryn, the King’s own goodson, who’s marriage to a Princess was meant to secure his loyalty, declared himself behind the Blackfyre cause, allying with Stark and his allies.

69jK6lP.jpg

With the Reach in civil war, and the West silent, the King faced four of his Kingdoms in rebellion against him with only the Stormlands and Dorne backing him.

Maekar himself would lead the royal forces, but would take none of his sons with him; Daeron was no warrior, and he did not want to risk the lives of Aerion and Aegon. If anything were to happen to them, House Targaryen would be left in a precarious position, where the Blackfyres could inherit legitimately. Troops from the nearest holds to King’s Landing, including the lands of Lord Bywater who’s loyalty had been assured by his daughter’s betrothal to the King, were to gather outside the capital. This initial host was to march north as soon as possible, under command of King Maekar, Lord Commander Willem Wylde, and Lord Humfrey Chelsted.

Already there were talks of the first action by the rebels; Lord Staedmon had marched over one and a half thousand men outside Hollard Hall and had laid siege to it.

As the shock of the rebellion died down and plans were laid out, November arrived, and with it came birth and well-received tidings. Aegon’s wife, Betha, had been pregnant for some time and on the 1st November she went into labour, giving birth to a healthy baby girl. The King was still present in the capital at this time, and was able to be present for the child’s birth. The new princess was named Vaera, and Maekar made a solemn oath to her.

0myInAE.jpg

“I will come home, small one. I will come home to see you, and all my grandchildren, laughing and playing in peace.” He had said it grimly, and it was a vow he would die for.

Only some days after this, a raven arrived; suffering from a maiming he had received in a joust some months ago, Lord Arryn was dead., with his brother Eon Arryn inheriting. Seemingly disinterested in this war, or more concerned with securing his rule over the Vale, Eon Arryn withdrew from the Blackfyre cause, opting to remain neutral. Meanwhile, Princess Rhae, the childless widow of Lord Jasper Arryn, was to return home to the capital, but she wouldn’t remain long.

0SrShDm.jpg

With nine and a half thousand men now gathered in the capital, Maekar was ready to march against Staedmon. On the day of his parting, he carried out two acts; he named Rorge Stokeworth acting Hand of the King, and declared his daughter was to marry Lord Richard Baratheon. Lord Richard had once rejected the White Cloak, and now was the Lord of Rainwood. As the second son of the Lord of Storm’s End, he was a suitable marriage for the Princess and the union was a boon for the loyal of the House. The King’s forces secured the Sept of Baelor after the High Septon’s voice of support for the rebellion, quelling any dissent in the city.

TnbuKy6.jpg
0TIbhuN.jpg

And with that, Maekar and his army marched, taking with him Ser Bedwyck Wyl, Ser Bryen Tollet, and Ser Alaric Musgood of the Kingsguard to be his sworn swords. Hollard Hall wasn’t the longest march, but nonetheless the King was eager to reach it soon, fearing it might fall into rebel hands. Matters became even worse when word reached the army that it was now Duskendale under siege.

On the 6th December, Maekar and his army clashed with Staedmon’s at the Battle of Duskendale; the superior numbers and command of the royal army proved to be devastating for the much smaller rebel host. When the battle was done, the royal forces had sustained nearly no casulaties, while Staedmon was foced to retreat behind his walls with his tail between his legs.

But Staedmon was by far the weakest of the rebels. Maekar faced the combined forces of the Trident, the North, and the Iron Isles. The de-factor leader of the rebellion, William Stark, was said to posses a keen mind for tactics, as did many of his kin and vassals. Distance would be an enemy to both sides; the Ironborn would have to sail around Westeros to reach any Royalist lands, and the North was vast and hard to rally. But Dorne was far to the south, with large deserts that took weeks and weeks to cross.

Indeed, as the year 224 AC arrived, it seemed the first major battles would be between the forces directly under King Maekar, which had been reinforced by a further three thousand seven hundred men from the Crownlands and Dragonstone, as well as five hundred men from Crackclaw point, and the Riverlands. Still, while marching north towards the Riverlands, tidings came to the King.

The Silent Sister once known as Taena Durwell had died in childbirth giving birth to a bastard son, while, more importantly, eleven thousand Riverlanders were marching into the western crownlands. Outnumbering the Riverlands army by three thousand, and reassured by the seven thousand Baratheon men marching into the Riverlands, the King changed course to meet with this force.

However, a month later in late February, the Riverland army has turned around and started to flee from their royal pursuers, with the King giving chase as more Baratheon men marched north for the Riverlands. Meanwhile the first Ironborn had arrived in the Crownlands, with one thousand five hundred Ironborn raiders landing in the southern Crownlands.

As the year reached March, the war slowed in tempo. The Ironborn raiders had been caught and defeated by a two thousand man Stormlands host, while Maekar had opted not to attack Tully’s troops across the river, sieging castles along the Riverlands-Crownlands border instead. While sieging Butterhall, joyous new was brought to the King. Prince Aerion had a son! However, the name Brightflame had given the child sent a chill down Maekar’s spine; Maegor, in honour of Maegor the Cruel. Only twenty days later, a much darker message arrived; eleven thousand Ironborn under the command of Lords Farwynd and Botley had landed at the shores of Duskendale, and had placed her under yet another siege. Responding to this, Maekar lifted the siege of Butterhall, wanting to face the Ironborn in the field.

What followed was a pursuit of the Ironborn army by Maekar along the north-eastern coast of the Crownlands, however eventually the Ironborn could flee no longer, and the Battle of Cahors was fought. It was a cruel and bitter battle, however the use of knights led by Willem Wylde charging into the ranks of the Ironborn to sow chaos among them allowed Maekar to come down like a hammer on them with his heavy infantry, shattering them. While 1,200 men from the royal army perished at Cahors, over seven and a half thousand Ironborn were left dead.

RbGxd2L.jpg

However, the war was starting to have its toll on the Royal Treasurey, and the Acting Hand of the King, Lord Rorge Stokeworth, reached out to the Iron Bank, refilling the King’s pockets so the war could continue.

And continue it did; an army from the Riverlands was rampaging through the Reach, burning crops and sacking villages. Close in size to the royal army, King Maekar knew that with the Florents still waging their war on Tyrell, it was up to him to protect the most fertile Kingdom in his realm. And so once more, he and his army marched, going along the Rose Road into the Reach.

However their scouts reported the Riverlands army was set on returning to the Riverlands; it was possible they were seeking to rally with the ten thousand Lord Stark now commanded on the Kings Road, intending to make an army the King could only hope to match if he in turn rallied with his own allies. However, the 13,000 strong Tully army was stopped in the northern reach, engaging 7,000 Tyrell soldiers. While they didn’t sustain heavy casualties, it delayed the Riverlords long enough for Maekar to reach them.

The two forced would meet in October, four months after Cahors, at Westborder, a town in the neutral Westerlands. The Riverlords commanded some 12,000 men after their battle with Tyrell, compared to the King’s own 13,000. However, the Riverman army was still recovering from a battle with Tyrell and months of smaller skirmishes, while the Royal army had recovered from its battle with the Ironborn, who now engaged the Stormlords.

Not only this, but once more Willem Wylde led the charge, crushing the Tully’s left flank. After a gruelling pitched battle, some 1,900 royal soldiers were dead. But Maekar proved himself undefeated in the field; years of military experience paid off as 4,800 Tully men had perished and their army was in retreat.

DULg0d6.jpg

Despite his victories, Maekar remained uncertain. Willem Stark was said to be a fine military commander, and still had large forces at his disposal. And what if this rebellion embolded Aenys Blackfyre to cross the narrow sea with the Golden Company and other eastern mercenaries at his back? That would shift the tide of the war strongly against Maekar.

In this desperation, Maekar reached out to Lord Lannister, his former hand, and arranged the betrothal of Vaera Targaryen, his granddaughter through Aegon, to Tytos Lannister, third son of Lord Lannister. Ideally, it would secure his loyalty, and yet after the agreement was made, Gerold Lannister remained neutral.

IgzDkRN.jpg

A small bit of luck did arrive. On the 1st December reports arrived that smallfolk, tired of the war, had risen up in rebellion in the North; hopefully one of Stark’s armies would return home to crush it. Indeed, by the middle of December Stark remained the strongest force on the field; he had 13,000 on Crackclaw Point, and 17,000 in the Riverlands. However, the royal army was still 11,000 strong, with battle-proven commanders and battle-hardened men. The Ironborn forces were no longer a threat, the Dornish now had 13,000 in the Riverlands, and the Baratheons remained loyal to the crown.

Stark must have taken all of this into consideration, because four days into the new year of 335 AC, he sent word offering White Peace to the King. Maekar, knowing he may not win if he continued down the path to war, accepted this offer. Peace returned, in the most part, to Westeros. After nearly a year and a half of fighting, Maekar demustered his troops and returned home to the capital.

577TRFh.jpg

Prince Olyvar was renamed Master of Laws, and Rorge Stokeworth stood down for Lord Gerold Lannister to return as Hand of the King, although some were said to have supported Stokeworth to remain in the role; he had managed the capital well with Maekar’s sons, or at least Aegon, during the conflict while Maekar waged war. Still, there was no denying the skill of Lannister, and people hoped prosperity could return to Westeros; it seemed the Fourth Blackfyre Rebellion was at an end, and this time a Blackfyre hadn’t even set foot on Westeros.

But the first month of the year wasn’t even over when Bloodraven reported Eon Arryn had started to seek support to name Aenys Blackfyre as King; the King’s response was rapid, sending Bloodraven and Martell to use their different expertise to win over the Lord of the Vale.

In March, a show of strength was witnessed from House Targaryen; Prince Aegon mounted his dragon, Galeglider, making him the second Dragon Rider in the living family. However, this was not enough to dissuade Stark and Greyjoy from allying once more in an independence plot.

m3JMKem.jpg

While war still raged on in the Reach, the Riverlands saw no peace too as Lords Frey and Darry rebelled against Lord Tully in August.

And then it happened.

The news arrived.

In the midst of the wartorn Riverlands, the castle and lands of Kanet had been seized. A ten thousand man force had landed there. And they carried the Black Dragon as their banner.

Aenys Blackfyre had landed, and he had named himself King of the Iron Throne.

kAF6Am8.jpg

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions:
The mirage of possible peace is thus swiftly and decisively swept away.

another Blackfyre... luckily, only three more rebellions remain in the future

• 1Like
Reactions:
another Blackfyre... luckily, only three more rebellions remain in the future

Oh god, don't remind me.

Chapter Five: The Fourth Blackfyre Rebellion, Part Two: The War of Three Kings. 225 AC - 226 AC

Slowly, Galeglider backed away into it’s den in the Dragonpit, and the heavy, iron gates were lowered down to keep him in. Daeron watched from far away, impressed with how Aegon spoke to the beast, kept it calm, and almost seemed to negotiate with it to get him in. The men-at-arms with them kept their distance, although Ser Denys Pryor was always nearby, ready to leap to the Prince’s defense.

After getting his dragon calm and settled, Aegon made his way over to his eldest brother. Daeron couldn’t help but feel a pang of jealousy; Aegon was the ideal image of a Targaryen Prince. Tall, lean, with handsome chiselled features and the House’s silver hair and purple eyes. On the other end of the spectrum was Daeron, who had inherited their deceased mother’s Dornish heritage. Brown hair, sallow skin, and he knew was a pathetic drunk he was; today he’d already had a few drinks and it was the middle of the day. He was trying to change, but he couldn’t, especially after his dreams. After his dreams he needed drink.

“I hope you’ll allow me to study Galeglider, in due time.” Said Aemon from Daeron’s side as Aegon reached them. The third brother, Aemon, was still Maester of Dragonstone and Daeron’s closest advisor. Wiser and more well learned than himself or the other two, Daeron couldn’t help but find amusement in the irony the brother most suited to rule was the one with a chain.

“Of course I will.” Aegon assured his brother with a bright smile and a hand on the shoulder, before turning to Daeron. “Brothers, it has been too long. Daeron, how fares Dragonstone and your lady wife?” Daeron told Aegon that Dragonstone was still much in the same, and that he and Kiera remained without child, unable to not feel like it was his fault; their cousin had given her two sons, and yet with him there had been nothing. What’s more, none of the whores or smallfolk he bedded came to him with bastards.

However, Daeron couldn’t dwell on these thoughts for long as heavy flapping wings could be hears, before a loud thud of something landing on the ground. Atop Angogon, wearing his favourite smug smirk, was Aerion, the second brother. Dismounting the dragon, he quickly lured her into her cage before approaching his brothers. “Drunk, Chained, Smallfolk!” He taunted, fingers playing with his sword’s pommel. “Still no children, Daeron? Should I start forging my crown now or later?”

Sensing Aegon tense up at this, Daeron played the role of diplomat. “Let’s keep things pleasant, Aerion. There’s a war on.”

This made Aerion sour. “Yes, and father still won’t let me ride Angogon into battle. We should bathe our enemies in dragonfire, not annoy them with arrows and spears!”

Stepping forward, Aegon spoke. “Have you lost even more wits? You and I have the only two living dragons. If we took them into battle, we would be risking so much. There is an opportunity here for us to usher in a new golden age for our House!”

A cruel grin spread across Aerion’s lips as Aegon spoke. “True, but I think I’d be more appealing if I was the rider of the only dragon in existence.” There was a silence; Aegon and Aerion hated one another, and if it came to blows there was no telling who would win. Out of the corner of his eyes, Daeron observed Ser Denys Pryor prepare himself to lunge between the two brothers.

“Now is not the time for arguments. Father and the Small Council await us.” Daeron said, attempting to calm them both.

But Aegon paid him no interest. “Bold words there, Aerion. Once you might have scared me. But I’m not a boy anymore, however you remain the same snivelling snake you’ve always been.”

The two seemed ready to draw their steel when a voice called out for them to halt. The four brothers turned to see their father, King Maekar, standing there clad in his armour. In leathers by his side was Brynden Bloodraven, a man who sent shivers down Daeron’s spine by just being there. Also with father was Lord Qarlton Farring, Master of Coin, as well as more Kingsguard. Appearing from the King’s side were two women.

Betha Blackwood rushed to Aegon’s arms, and the married couple enjoyed a tight embrace, apparently feeling no shame. Must have been Aegon’s smallfolk escapades. Daenora and Aerion were less affectionate, but she still wrapped herself around his arm. Jealousy paned through Daeron at the sight of this.

“Come, my sons.” Maekar said.

Later, they were all sat in the Small Council Chamber. “With all due respect, your grace.” Began Lord Commander Willem Wylde. “Is it necessary for all four of your sons to be here? I can understand Prince Daeron, but-“

Lord Dalton Farring cut him off. “It’s the King prerogative to have them here. We’re at war who cares.” With that he turned to face the King. “In regards to finances your Grace, the loan Lord Rorge and I took out during the last war should sustain us for some more years of conflict; although the Reach, Stormlands, and Riverlands are stuck in internal war, and their troops unavailable, we still receive taxes from them, boosting our income.”

Maekar nodded at this, grimly pleased with the news. However, Daeron could see something was bothering him, and his attention was drawn to letters resting in front of the King. Bloodraven spoke up next. “My spies report that Aegor Bittersteel nor his Golden Company have set sailed with Aenys. His army is made up of sellswords and opportunists. Ten thousand strong, and carving a realm out of a divided Riverlands. If we allow him to trample on our vassals for too long, men will join him.”

WiD337e.jpg

Aerion spoke up. “Let Aegon and I”

“No.” Maekar interrupted, glaring at his second son, who sunk slightly into his seat at his father’s gaze. “You and Aegon are going nowhere near a battlefield. None of my sons will be. Daeron, you will stay on Dragonstone, and you will hold Dragonstone. Raise your banners and sail them here to join my host.” Glad to be out of the fighting, Daeron gave a smile and a nod. “Aerion, Aegon, you will stay here with my Small Council; look after this city, and care for your new families. Little Vaera and Maegor need their fathers.”

The mention of Aerion’s son, Maegor, who had been born last year, unsettled Daeron. Only Aerion would name a child after the most wicked and evil King in their family history. Hopefully he wouldn’t be like his namesake, although with a father like Aerion…

It wasn’t a risk worth taking, and Daeron silently vowed to try and get Kiera with child.

Maekar continued, but his tone was darker, more sombre. “Grand Maester Royce gave me letters today, both containing ill news. Lord Willam Stark has not joined Aenys as I thought he would. Instead he has opted to crown himself King of the North.”

357iHHh.jpg

Silence fell on the table. Now there were two rebel Kings? The North had remained mostly unbloodied in the last war… or was it last part of this war? It was all getting terrible confusing for Daeron. The urge to grab some wine hit him, but, somehow, he resisted.

“What… what was the other letter, your grace?” Asked Farring, hesitant; cold rage was clear on Maekar now for all to see.

“Prince Olyvar Martell, my cousin, my Master of Laws, my old ally… Has sided with the Blackfyres.”

CiTOEAB.jpg

Aerion roared with laughter. “That goat-fucker can’t be serious. Siding with Aenys? A green boy? Father, when you take Sunspear, I beg you, bring me back a Dornish girl!”

Maekar rose, roaring. “Quiet Aerion! I’ve had quite enough of this! I bring you in here, hoping the serious nature of this would straighten you out, and yet you prove me wrong!”

Aegon couldn’t help but laugh, however Maekar turned on him too. “Quiet, Aegon. Unless you have something to say?”

Sitting up straight, and matching his father’s gaze, Aegon spoke. “I do actually. Where did Martell become a Blackfyre sympathiser? He was sent to the Vale to ensure Lord Arryn’s loyalty, no? Lord Eon’s brother, Jasper, joined the Blackfyres, and we had reason to suspect Eon later gained the same traitorous thoughts.”

Bloodraven nodded along. “At first I thought Olyvar had convinced Lord Arryn to remain loyal, and I do believe he did some convincing, but it might have gone the other way too, without my realising; Prince Olyvar knew I was stationed in the Vale as well, and would likely have remained cautious.”

Calmed for now, Maekar returned to his seat. “Very well. Smallfolk have also risen up in Rook’s Rest. Once I have an army, that’ll be my first battle, get these men prepared for the real war. Lord Commander, you shall ride with me, as shall Ser Bedwyck Wyl and Ser Bryen Tollett. Ser Florian will remain on Dragonstone as Daeron’s sworn shield. Ser Alaric Musgood, Ser Leo Tyrell, and Ser Denys Pryor shall remain here as guards for the rest of the royal family. Leaving only two behind last time was a mistake.”

“And who shall be Hand with Lord Gerold’s absence?” Aerion asked, sitting up a little taller, making Daeron scoff. The little rat actually thought he stood a chance.

“Not Lord Rorge again, the old man deserves some rest.” Maekar observed, before thinking for a while. “I’ve heard good things about Lord Robin Cave; a good administrator and commander. He shall be Hand.”

VtWk5BE.jpg

***​

Houses Greyjoy and Lannister didn’t declare for any side, as did House Arryn. Maekar had no Lord Paramounts siding with him, with one crowning themselves King and another declaring for Aenys Blackfyre, who was now styling himself King Aenys II. While not a great warrior like his father, word was spreading he was like Daemon Blackfyre in other respects. He was said to be honourable, trusting, and spoke proudly with a voice of authority. These traits, as well as his charisma, might well have been was drew Martell to his side and kept others neutral when compared to the cold, ruthless Maekar.

Less than a month after taking Kanet, another castle fell to Aenys; Gravesham Hall. Divided and weakened, the Riverlands was an ideal Kingdom for Aenys to launch his campaign from, and with Kanet being on the Western coast, it was an unexpected landing point.

A month following this, in late-October, Maekar had assembled 15,000 men at King’s Landing, under the command of himself, Lord Commander Wylde, and Lord Chelsted. Already, it was being called the War of Three Kings, but others were simply calling it the Fourth Blackfyre Rebellion, seeing it as a continuation of the previous war.

“Why not both.” The King was said to have joked.

R7gs5jQ.jpg
hCjrKWv.jpg

With this force, he marched towards Rook’s Rest, where 2,000 men led by a man named Will had rallied against Lord Staunton and the King. The 8th December saw the Battle of Rook’s Rest, a quick, easy victory for the royal forces as the outnumbered and undisciplined smallfolk fell quickly, and Will as sent to the Wall.

With the Crownlands secure, Maekar marched towards the Riverlands as the new year, 226 AC, dawned. And with it, a marriage was to take place in the small castle of Deddington.

***​

The feast hall had been set up quickly, that was clear to see. Lord Deddington had been eager to host the King for the Royal Wedding, but the limited time-frame meant he could only produce so much. Still, Maekar had no issue with this. He didn’t want a lavish feast; he wanted a marriage consummated and a Queen to show the realm. Lady Arianne Bywater, 14 year old girl that she was, was neither pleasing nor horrid to look on. She had a long face, and long nose, with bright blue eyes.

HoZ9brB.jpg

“So you are now Queen.” Maekar said, plainly, feeling awkward. The match was pure politics, keeping her father loyal to Maekar, but now it was real it was difficult.

However, to Arianne’s credit, the brunette smiled up at the King. “Yes. I hope I do well. It’s awfully frightening to think about, but I’ll try my best.” She was well spoken, if soft in tone, and seemed to be honest with her words.

“And you know all of your duties?” He asked, half-stern, half-concerned for the girl that was now his wife.

She nodded, but there was a nervousness to Arianne. “Yes, your grace. And… please be… it’s just.”

“It will be fine, I understand your fears.” Maekar knew a King being cruel to his Queen or causing her pain could lead to dire results. “It's only one night, and after tonight all men shall bow to you.”

***​

After the wedding and bedding, Maekar spent little time with his wife; all of a day and a half while his army prepared to march again. Ser Alaric Musgood, who had brought her to Deddington, escorted her back to the capital where she took up residence with Aegon and Aerion, her new sons by marriage.

Soon enough, his army was close to Aenys Blackfyre’s, who was moving through Marlet Bay.

SxHswfd.jpg

Finally, on the 4th March, 226 AC, Maekar and Aenys met in open battle. The Blackfyre had been a constant threat to Maekar’s reign from the very beginning; entire Kingdoms had backed him, thousands had died for him, and it seemed there would be no peace while he still lived.

And he was a disappointment.

***​

The Blackfyre army were the defenders today, numbering just under 10,000 strong, and set up on the hills of the land, making an attack even more difficult for Maekar and his army, which was still its original number of 15,000 men. From down the hill, Maekar could hear the booming voice of Aenys commanding his men as his battle lines were drawn. Shoddy battle lines, the King observed. The hills terrain hadn’t been taken into account, just their elevation. Their ground was uneven, disturbing the lines of Aenys’ troops. And this would be a fatal mistake.

B8wFCbS.jpg

The archers were sent round to the flanks as Maekar and Lord Chelsted lead the heavy and light infantry up the hill as arrows started to reign down on them. There was no charging, just a slow slog up and up, men screaming or choking on blood if an arrow got past their shields. There was yelling, and sellsword cavalry and hedge knights, the mounted contingent of Aenys’ forces, rode down the hill… into the trap. The Targaryen archers marching on the sides, firing bow and crossbow, let loose into the charging ranks of cavalry as pikemen and spearmen took up position, the army halting its advance. The charge broke itself on them, horses and men dying in their hundreds. One cavalryman got his lance stuck impaling Maekar’s shield before he was quickly cut down by Ser Bedwyck, another rider being taken down by Ser Bryen before he could even get close to the King.

After this failure, the Targaryen infantry carried on. Soon enough, they reached the Blackfyre lines, not charging once. Instead it became a violent attempt at pushing back their lines, taking advantage of the poor set up of the foe’s infantry. Shield gone, Maekar held his Warhammer in both hands, striking down man after man as his two Kingsguard kept him safe from other men. Eventually, they managed to get onto even ground, were the next part of the battle plan revealed itself. Behind the infantry, Lord Commander Willem Wylde had led the cavalry into a slow trot, waiting until the two armies were on even ground before kicking them into a charge, riding around the fight between the infantry before closing in and flanking the Blackfyre forces.

It was here Aenys realised the battle must have been lost. From the left flank, where Chelsted commanded, he issued orders and rallied his men, pushing through a weak point where infantry met cavalry and beginning the retreat. After the labourous climb up the hill, and the following battle, Maekar knew his army was exhausted.

“Let them flee!” Shouted Maekar to his men as the Black Dragon banner got smaller and smaller the further they ran. “The False Dragon has shown himself what kind of man he is today!” A cheer went up from the troops.

QPMMEQc.jpg

***​

Morale was high among the men, and the night following the battle was a merry one. Aenys Blackfyre, after years of scheming and plotting, had finally fought the King and had been crushed, losing over half his forces while the King lost less than 500 men. Stories started to be spread about how the King, Ser Bedwyck, and Ser Bryen had killed more men between them than the entire Blackfyre army had managed to kill.

But the joyous nature was soon lost; scouts reported the Northern army was making its way through the neck; 12,000 northerners had already crossed down into the Riverlands, while over 6,000 marched behind them in two smaller forces. However, knowing the waters of the Riverlands made marching a predictable game, Maekar and his generals made their plans.

Making camp in Stillfen, they waited, and on the eve of the 6th April, it was clear a battle would follow with the Northerners attacking. Now it was Maekar’s turn to fight using the hills to his advantage, knowing how to fully exploit them. What’s more, his army numbered over 14,000, a clear 2,000 man lead on the attacking Northern army.

MmlaiWF.jpg

But, to the Northerners’ credit, this did not dissuade them. Led by Lord Jon Flint ‘the Rash’ of Widow’s Watch, they threw themselves onto the defenders’ ranks time and time again, but to no avail.

0YQQ22U.jpg

By the time the battle was finished, 3,890 Northerners lay dead compared to 480 Royal soldiers, and Lord Jon the Rash was sent fleeing back North, with Maekar in pursuit.

MHaLsmf.jpg

Meanwhile, Lord Robin Cave and the Princes received word the Dornish had laid siege to Blackhaven with an army of over 14,000 men, the largest army fighting for Aenys Blackfyre. Word was sent to the King regarding this.

In the letter the King received, Bloodraven and Aerion warned him of Bedwyck Wyl. The man’s kin marched with the Martells, being Lords of Dorne, and his loyalties were in question. However, Maekar knew the man as a man true to his vows, and one who had championed the royal cause. And so Ser Bedwyck was left untouched.

TmjA2P0.jpg

May arrived, and another battle was imminent; the royal force met 5,100 Stark men outside the wall of Seagard. Their command was scattered and they were outnumbered. Just over 100 royal men died in the battle, while the North lost half their men in that army.

Maekar’s confidence grew and grew. Across the fourth Blackfyre rebellion, which had lasted three years now, including the few months of peace, he had been undefeated in battle. No doubt it was this reputation that finally made Lord Gerold Lannister involve himself in the war against Blackfyre, declaring for the King. Soon after this, reinforcments arrived, reinforcing the royal army and bringing her to a strength of 15,200.

qJ1F3Es.jpg

However, the Starks had rallied too. Where they once had three armies, they had now united them into one, joint force numbering 12,700 men, led by their King himself.

Camped north of the Twins, going into the Neck, they made a target for Maekar, eager to now allow them to escape. Crossing into the swamplands in July of 226 AC, the King of the Iron Throne met the King of the North in battle.

nvvnzd5.jpg

***​

The battle was going poorly. Safely stationed, the defending North archers rained death onto the advancing royal troops, who were slowed by the marshes and swamp. Men would suddenly disappear, being swallowed by sinkholes and the murky waters of the Neck. An arrow rushed past the King’s head as he neared the enemy lines.

“Your grace, we should fall back.” Advised Ser Bryen, but no attention was paid to him. Maekar could see his opponent; clad in steel plate, wolf-fur cloak on his shoulders, a crown embeded into his helmet, King Willam Stark issued commands, Ice in hand.

There was a sudden roar; the North’s right flank rushed forward, colliding with the men under Lord Commander Wylde’s command, and Maekar spotted the banner of Widow’s Watch. Lord Jon the Rash was living up to his moniker.

Maekar’s men finally reached the Northern lines, and a bloody fight ensued. Unlike previous battles, the army with the upper hand was unclear, and men on both sides were dying by their hundreds. By the march through the swamp had exhausted and demoralised the royal troops, and Maekar could sense them wavering.

“Fight on! Keep fighting!” He roared as he caved in a man’s skull with his hammer. He would be damned if he allowed Stark to win. Looking along the battle lines, he saw Willam decapitate a knight with a single swing of Ice, breaking through that section of the army as they started to rout.

Meanwhile, despite taking the offensive, it seemed Lord Jon had successfully pushed back Wylde, although Maekar observed Willem Wylde was among the last to fall back.

“The day is lost! We mu” Screamed a Targaryen man-at-arms before a spear to the gut and a mace blow silenced him forever. Maybe he was right…

No, the day was still salvageable. “Carve your way to their false, tree worshipping King!” Bellowed Maekar, his two Kingsguard by his side, swords soaked red with blood. However, even as he tried to make his way to Willam, more and more men started to rout.

“We need to retreat, your Grace!” Ser Bedwyck said. Looking around, Maekar saw it was pointless. They had lost.

“Retreat! Fall back!”

3r6FooR.jpg

• 2Like
Reactions:
With those sons he hardly has need of enemies - and he has those aplenty as well.

That battle against the Northerners - a defeat, yes, but perhaps not so disasterous. The Stark's army cannot afford many such victories.

a first defeat... now he has lost his aura.... bad omen, but victory is still at the grasp of the hand... at least in one of the wars

With those sons he hardly has need of enemies - and he has those aplenty as well.

That battle against the Northerners - a defeat, yes, but perhaps not so disasterous. The Stark's army cannot afford many such victories.

Yeah Maekar's sons sure are a handful, but are so fun to write! Aerion and Aegon being the two with dragons gives them an interesting dynamic.

a first defeat... now he has lost his aura.... bad omen, but victory is still at the grasp of the hand... at least in one of the wars

With the war basically being a pincer, Stark from the North and Blackfyre's Martell support in the South, Maekar has got his work cut out for him.

I've finally caught up to reading all this. Very good so far, though I have to wonder when Maekar is finally going to get a break.