• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
b
Regarding fighting france and PLC late game: don't use ALL your troops in a fight. Morale damage spreads to all troops, even the ones who don't participate in the fight. The idea is to reinforce ongoing battles with stacks of like 60 infantry, again, again, and again. Win.
I didn't know that. What is your army composition for mid/late game?

Usually 8k cavalry, enough infantry to fill the combat width +10k to be safe, full back row of cannons. And let all other infantry WAIT in neighbouring provinces before you reinforce the fight with them.

Takes some practice to know WHEN to send the infantry to reinforce, but overall, thats hows you beat France/PLC late game.

Bait 'm into low combat width terrain with river crossing (something like the alpes with a river). They will slaughter you, but if your reinforcements arrive in time, you win. Reinforcements will replace all the worn down infantry on arrival (well, the next combat round) and your total morale of the army will increase a boatload. Only problem is France can do the same. So if you don't do this, France/plc usually wins due to their reinforcements. So the idea is to send the reinforcements at the right time, so they can lower enemy morale enough.
Its basically a struggle to get each others morale down asap... Since usually late game you got troops enough.

Reactions:
Chapter XXI - Imperialism

The Roman Empire was embroiled in a war against England. Lorraine's capital had already been occupied and currently the Roman army was besieging London, England's capital province. A second Roman army was laying siege at Metz when the news arrived that the Netherlands had joined the war against Rome!

FRU1PBU.jpg

The sieges of London and Metz lasted for many hundred days but eventually it was won. The three English provinces in the British Isles were now under Roman control. Rome now concentrated on the hostile forces of Trier and the Netherlands.
In April of 1777, the war with the English came to an end when they ceded their holdings in the British Isles to Rome and Normandy. Meccina, a Roman colonial nation in Norther America, received also some extra provinces that used to belong to the Thirteen Colonies. London and Kent went to Rome; Wessex to Normandy.

lftNP6j.png

Roman expansionism continued with a war against Ehtiopia after they left the coalition for no apparent reason. Maybe Ethiopia just wanted very badly to get annexed? It was the only logical explanation for them leaving the coalition.
The siege of the Ethiopian capital lasted for about 150 days. After it was won, full annexation was demanded and their three provinces became a part of the Roman Empire.
In May of 1779, the integration of Normandy into the Roman Empire had been completed! A glorious day for Rome!

ySj7bQA.png

Later that year, Rome declared an imperialism war on Andhra, a one province minor in India, and her ally Jaunpur. It was not just a war. It was a Holy War! A Jihad!
Rome decided to build the Suze Canal in May of 1780. Imam Gregorius felt it was a good investment. Rome had more money than it could spend and it was believed that building this canal was going to be very expensive. Some 20.000 ducats were the initial investment.

s6DJ8dw.png

Jaunpur was bankrupt. This made besieging their provinces super easy. Golkonda had unfortunately occupied Andhra already but this was ok. Rome was mostly interested in Jaunpur's territory anyways but since they were in the coalition against Rome; Gregorius had to declare war on one of their allies that wasn't.
That's why on July 29, 1781, a peace treaty was signed with Andhra in which Jaunpur had to cede a number of provinces to Rome.

jKLKMAy.png

Rome was preparing to betray its ally Tunis in 1782. In previous years, many claims had been fabricated on their provinces. In February, 1782, the alliance was canceled and in Seotenver it was time for war!
Yao and their march Timbuktu sided with Tunis. Tunis was completely unprepared for the war and their forts had a low garrison strength because they had almost all been mothballed before the war was declared.

no21cC5.png

Innocentius IX became Imam of the Roman Empire on March 1, 1784, after Gregorius died a painful death. Some said he had been poisoned by loyal Romans who wanted to get rid of their awful ruler. Well, Innocentius was not much better. His stats: 2/1/3. Rome was cursed! The last three rulers were all incompetent morons!
By the time tha Innocentius became Imam, every Tunisan province had been occupied. The Roman and Moroccan armies were moving on to conquer Yao before making peace with Tunis.

jekao3d.png

The rule of Innocentius was very, very short. he died 14 months later on an unknown cause. His successor became Urbanus VIII, a 2/3/1 ruler. Rome was cursed with bad rulers, at least so it seemed!
On January 2, 1786, Yao ceded its coastal territory to Rome. Timbuktu had to cede Taudeni to Marocco.

UlrPWw0.png

That left a completely occupied Tunis in the war. It was a no-brainer to demand full-annexation. Tunis was utterly defeated. Morocco received control of their entire realm. Rome now ruled over the entire North African coast! The backstab was complete!
A diplomat was sent to Marakesh. His mission was to integrate Morocco into the Roman Empire. This was process was believed to last for more than two decades!

JGvau9W.png

Urbanus released Crimea, a one province minor based in Yedishkul, as his vassal in May of 1786. Theodoro and the Commonwealth owned many of Crimeas core provinces and it was quite a convenient coincidence that they were allied with one another! Naturally, war was declared on Theodoro to reconquer the Crimean cores.

BokwbmD.png

As expected, the Commonwealth joined Theodoro and so it was possible to fight both in one war without triggering a punitive war. Kiva joined them, too, but was annexed pretty much immediately after the declaration of war.
In February of 1791, the Suez Canal had been finished! Roman ships were now able to travel from the Mediterranean Sea to India much faster.

DtsWumv.jpg

In 1793, the war with Theodoro and the Commonwealth was in its seventh year already, Rome had a total war score of %68% but with the Commonwealth it was only +31%. Urbanus wanted more war score. It was important to make an acceptable peace treaty. The problem was that the Commonwealth had lots and lots of lvl 8 forts. Even with artillery it took ages to besiege them. Luck, defensive mentality and high power projection made things even harder. And then call for peace started to become an issue but it really was not time for peace just yet!

JtKLyuu.jpg

The situation got worse when revolutionary rebels spawned in both Theodoro and the Commonwealth. This was probably due to the high war exhaustion that both countries suffered from. Theodor's was at 17.69 and the Commonwealth's war exhaustion at 11.99 in July, 1974.
74.000 revolutionaries besieged a fort that the Romans had occupied!

2iSBVuq.png

Later that year, the war came to an end with a single peace treaty. A separate peace treaty with the Commonwealth was not on the table.
TheTreaty of Rome stated that the Commonwealth and Theodoro had to cede a total of 14 provinces to Crimea.

hvaXrW9.jpg

Urbanus decided to focus on Expansion Ideas in 1795. Rome had now finally access to a colonist! The colonist was sent immediately to colonize some inland provinces in Africa like Al-Junaynah.

Rx5soZK.png

Saxony had become Emperor of the Hoyl Roman Empire and they were embroiled in many wars which prevented them from protecting the Hansa. And so in the winter of 1795, 58.000 Roman mercenaries invaded first Oldenburg, a Hanseatic ally.
Next to Oldenburg, Cleves and Münster joined the Hansa.
Soon Urbanus noticed that 58.000 soldiers were not enough and so reinformcents from the British Isles were transported by ship to Oldenburg. On the British Isles 61.000 mercenaries had awaited Urbanus's orders.

hH8ZeZJ.png

The siege of Oldenburg lasted for only 33 days. From there, the Roman sell-swords marched on Münster first because forts had blocked a land route to the Hansa.
Most of Münster had been occupied by October, 1797. Urbanus ordered his armies to now take the fight to the Hansa.
Urbanus commissioned a fleet of 100 Three Deckers to fight the Hanseatic fleet. Rome was now also a true naval power!

Vx2bOqt.png

In March of 1799 the war with the Hansa came to an end. The defending forces ceded together nine provinces to the Roman Empire. Urbanus gave orders to construct the Kiel Canal after the signing of the peace treaty. Even then the Roman treasury was still full: More than 44.000 ducats were at Urbanus's disposal.

Z5GO0EQ.png

On February 1, 1800, the integration of Morocco into the Roman Empire had been completed!

cuA9bUl.jpg

Comments:

What a productive chapter! We won a major war against the Commonwealth, ounded a Roman enclave in Northern Germany and backstabed & conquered our ally Tunis.

There are only 21 years left in this campaign. Either there will be one long final chapter chapter or it might get split it into two (unlikely).

Is Ragusa still allied to too many strong factions or are you strong enough to beat them? You are by far the strongest country, after all, and Ragusa are a purple blip in an ocean of white - it would look better if it was erased...

You've also done a fantastic job all in all. Will you be going for India or Sub-Saharan Africa in the last (two) chapter(s)?

Reactions:
Is Ragusa still allied to too many strong factions or are you strong enough to beat them? You are by far the strongest country, after all, and Ragusa are a purple blip in an ocean of white - it would look better if it was erased...
It's not that Ragusa is very strong but they joined the mighty coalition against the Roman Empire. I don't see much purpose in attacking the entire coalition. Fighting a coalition war might take me 7+ years and I'd gain just a few provinces in it. That's why in the entire campaign I never declared war on the coalition. My military is ok but honestly, the Commonwealth and other countries have better troops in a 1vs1. I only win because of I outnumber them.
After I post the final chapter I will think about my next AAR. It will most likely be a custom-nation AAR. I've experimented with a few custom nations so far. Not sure if it would be fun for readers since many people don't seem to like custom nations. I'll present my custom nation that I want to do an AAR with in the final chapter and will ask for feedback. If feedback is negative I might do an AAR with a 'standard' nation.

You've also done a fantastic job all in all. Will you be going for India or Sub-Saharan Africa in the last (two) chapter(s)?
Thank you so much! I don't know yet - haven't played any since I posted chapter XXI. I think I will attack the area which I believe is easiest to make progress in. Many sub-Saharan countries are in a coalition against me so I might invade China or India. Not sure yet :) What would you like me to do? :D I'll start playing later tonight.

I'd like you to erase Ragusa, Burgundy and Bavaria for pretty + Traian borders, but that may not be possible. India is your best bet then.
I'll think about a plan to make it possible but can't make any promises. Hadn't had any time to play today but will try to get it done tomorrow or Thursday.

Reactions:
So I thought about it some more. In order to conquer Ragusa and/or Bavaria I would have to fight the entire coalition which is composed of 40! countries. All Bavarian and Ragusan allies are also in the coalition and so I cannot declare war on one of their allies with the attempt to drag them into that war. Every independent nation in Europe is in a coalition against me. A tricky situation, to be honest..

Could I beat the coalition? Most likely no. My army, including my vassals has a total of 673000 soldiers.
The entire coalition has an army of 1023285. That's 350285 soldiers more than I have at my disposal :(

Edit:
So I decided to start playing today and in 1802 something bad happened. The AI cheated on me; or should I say one of the tooltips did not inform me properly. Now I am fighting the entire European coalition; unprepared; unintended and just because of a wrong tooltip. Seems like (intentionally?) misinforming the player is one way to make the AI "good" in EU IV @Wiz :(

Basically what happened was that I declared war on a protectorate whose overlord was already at war with me because I had declared war on their ally. The overlord of that protectorate was in a coalition against me. And the entire coalition, besides the overlord who was already at war with me, then came to defend the protectorate who was not part of the coalition! The tooltip did not warn me that this will happen.
I can make separate peace treaties with every defender but oh well :(

Last edited:
Chapter XXII - Screw the AI!

The Roman Empire was overextended in 1800. 107% Overextension were enough for separatists sentiment to spread through the Roman Empire. It was a minor inconvenience that made expansion more difficult because of rebel uprisings throughout the realm.

jC6Gdgp.png

Workers reported that weak leadership severely delayed the construction of the Kiel Canal. Very unfortunate but the realm could not afford to spend administrative power on such matters.
On July 1, 1801, Rome declared war on Golkonda to continue their expansion in India. They were joined by Bahmanis and the goals as to annex both countries in one war.

1SQfzsF.png

About half a year later, war was then declared on Garjat, another Indian nation. Garjat was a protectorate of Bahmanis but because Bahmanis was already at war with Rome they could not try to defend them. At least that was what he Imam Gregorious believed. But the Magic was working against Rome. The entire coalition came to support Garjat! (the tooltip did not warn me about this; see comment section below). This meant that Rome was now at war with every independent nation in Europe..
Rome was not prepared for this - Rome was screwed!

jnwO7d8.png

The defending forces heavily outnumbered the Roman army and even a white peace was not on the table, according to skilled Roman military adviors. The enemy was simply too big.
Forts were being built in northern Italy to strengthen the defense but it seemed like a pointless effort.
At least the war with Bahmins came to an end. They were annexed by the Romans. Gokonda paid some gold. Rome now focused solely on the coalition. Maybe there was a way to survive it without ceding too much land? Doubtful.

CIL34LN.jpg

The few provinces that Garjat owned were all occupied by April of 1803 but it was no surprise that war score was negative. The strategy that the Imam was pursuing was to increase their war exhaustion to a point in which they accepted a white peace. Was this plan going to work? Probably not but it was worth a shot.
Rome lost a major battle in 1803 in Hunyad. At the Battle of Hunyad the combined forces of Scandinavia, Trier, Kazan, Ansbach, Mecklenburg, Austria, Lorraine, Wurttemberg and Anhalt defeated a Roman army. What was especially surprising to the Romans was that they lost not a single artillery unit. Rome had the better general, too. Especially, the Roman Infantry fought like crap.

667uk7M.png

In July of 1803, a separate peace was signed with Malwa. They ceded six provinces to Rome. A first success in this coalition war! The Roman armies in India then moved on to Jaunpur and Yarkand. This seemed like the better idea instead of sending them to die in Europe.

5PltAxY.png

In India, the Roman forces won many battles. This helped tremendously in securing a potential white peace. The Indian forces fought even worse than the Roman forces and Rome's troops did horribly compared with other European countries. Maybe it was AI magic?
The Battle of Doaba and the Battle of Lahore resulted each in the annihilation of an entire hostile army. War Score was now at +8%! Luck was on Rome's side!
Gujarat was annexed in March of 1804; Delhi ceded one province in April of 1804. These were the second and third successful separate peace treaties during that war!

FC2cec0.png

Another victory was achieved over Bukhara. They ceded three provinces in October, 1804, to Rome. Meanwhile Rome's European provinces fell one after another to the enemy.

LqfqAD2.png

Yarkand was forced to cede some territory to Rome's vassal Multan in December of the same year. Victory after victory in Asia. Macina ceded Denkkyira to Rome in 1805. Now the Roman army in Africa concentrated on Portugal.

7N6nC6d.png

A sneak attack was conducted on Barrois, the capital of Burgundy, in March of 1805. 50.000 mercenaries were shipped from London to calais and from there they used forced march to quickly occupy Barrois which only had a level 1 fort. Unfortunatly, Rome could not defend the province well and it was quickly reconquered by hostile troop.

mom13Pz.png

In June of 1805, the siege of Gold Coast was won. Gold Coast was the capital province of Portugal and the sieged had lasted only for 73 days! That was enough to demand the full annexation of Portugal. This coalition war started to make the Roman Empire stronger and stronger!
In January 1806, Jaunpur then ceded ten provinces to Rome. This was another crucial victory for Rome.
White peaces or were signed with some countries; others had to pay war reparations. These included Norway, Friesland and the Netherlands.

Gf5KrlR.png

Some of Sweden's ports were blockaded by the Roman fleet of Three Deckers. This generate enough war score to force them out of the war. The Roman fleet that attacked Sweden consisted of 95 threedeckers. The same strategy had early been used on the Netherlands and also on Flanders. Blockading ports was a strong method to force opponents out of the war.

4NCK0OI.jpg

Comments:

The UI really screwed me over. I thought the rule was that you cannot be at war with one countries in two simultaneous wars. That's why I declared war on Garjat, given that their overlord was already at war with me. And I was right, Bahmanis did not join them. However, Bahmanis was a coalition member and the entire fu*king coalition came to defend Garjat! And the tooltip did not daay anything about that. This is the dumbest thing ever. I can peace out with each and every one of them. So the coalition mechanic triggered wrongly. (see screenshots below). This is seriously stupid.

NmRowxI.png

Garjat is not part of the coalition.

HO2q9YT.png

As you can see, I am clearly at war with Bahmanis.

jnwO7d8.png

Retarded UI did not warn me that the entire coalition will come to defend Garjat and the mechanic is obviously broken because the war is not considered a coalition war since separate peaces are possible.

I'd love to hear your thoughts on this matter.

Through wise choices, I managed to actually gain land from this coalition war. As you can see, Rome is heavily outnumbered and my army fights like crap, especially in one on one against Europea nations. Nevertheless we made good progress in Asia.

Game-wise this was a short chapter, about five in-game years but I wanted to document this coalition war well and so it is covered more detailed than any of the other wars Rome fought.

Maybe after all, this coalition war is not as passed it initially seemed and it may be the only choice to conquer Ragusa, Bavaria and Burgundy. The next chapter will tell whether the Romans will manage to beat the Europeans in that coalition or if the war will end with a white peace. I am confident that by forcing out coalition members through blockades or by simply offering them a white peace after the war is long enough, I will be able to reduce the defending forces to such a small number that I will be able to occupy Ragusa, Burgundy and Bavaria. The plan is to occupy Ragusa first, then annex and core them while fighting others. I hope it will work.

Last edited:
Maybe this "coalition" war was a gift from the heavens, in return for so many bad rulers?
That sounds like the most plausible case! I first thought that Allah was punishing the Romans for conquering too much but now it looks more like Allah has sent a gift from heaven to the Romans to reward them for spreading the Sunni faith through the world.

Little spoiler about Chapter XXIII
I'm currently playing the campaign. This coalition war will end with an epic victory. There is no doubt that without this bug I would not have been able to conquer so much of Europe in those last two decades.

Reactions:
Chapter XXIII - A Happy Ending

Roman forces that were stationed in Africa assaulted the Spanish capital, Fernando Po, in August of 1807. It was a short siege given how weak the local fortifications were.
More white peace offers from countries like Württemberg were accepted. However, there were still 20 countries at war with Rome.

WsE613D.jpg

Roman forces moved from Anatolia to Ragusa and quickly laid siege on various provinces. Soon Ragusa was going to be fully occupied!
During those sieges, another Roman army had been busy at fighting Bengal and their efforts paid off in November, 1807, when the Bengali ruler agreed to cede two provinces to Rome. Spain was annexed by Rome at the end of that month.

oWE8ZhI.png

Ragusa was completely occupied in Mid-May, 1808 and consequently they were annexed by the Roman Empire. Ragusa was no more!
Just a few months later, in July, Clemens VII became the new Imam of the Roman Empire. His skills were superior to those of the previous three Imams: 4/3/3. Finally someone competent!
One of the first actions that Clemes VII did was to the demand the full annexation of Lorraine.

WomE4Jn.png

Rome won battle after battle in Europe and continued to accept white peace offers from countries in whose provinces Rome had no interest in. This was a workable strategy. Brittany ceded two of its provinces in Asia to Rome. Victory was closer and closer with each separate peace treaty.
Meanwhile in Europe, Roman armies had won the sieges of Munich and Landshut and were now knocking at the gates of Memmingen. Another Roman army besieged the Archbishopric of Augsburg. The siege of Augsburg ended in August, 1810, with the full annexation of Augsburg.
Austria had to cede Ostmarch, Pest and Sopron in November. This reduced the Habsburgs to a one-province-minor in Stralsund.

dr8cbD9.png

In November of 1811, Bavaria was defeated but Clemens did not make peace yet. Overextension was a problem. He wanted to annex four of Bavaria's provinces, including München which was the Bavarian capital. That's why some time had to pass before peace could be made.
In April, 1812, Rome then seized those four provinces from Bavaria. For six months, the realm was overextended by more than 100%. Rebellions happened more frequently during those months.
The last remaining target of interest was Burgundy and that is where the Roman armies began marching to in July. In the meantime, many of the white peaces with coalition members had already expired again. The majority of those countries formed a new coalition against Rome. How silly of them to think that this was going to save them in any way.

3tMhLtg.png

The war against the coalition was in its eleventh year. The Roman manpower had long ago hit the zero mark. Mercenaries were now doing most of the work. By late July of 1813, the Roman forces had successfully occupied the Burgundian capital Barrois as well as Luxembourg, Liege and Artois. They were laying siege at the forts of Namur and Cambary.
Clemens had a feeling that the war was going to be won soon. Indeed, in September, the siege of Cambary was won, too, and the army that had been besieging the province moved on to lay siege on Picardie.

ZNfWqng.jpg

After the walls of Picardied were breached, two Roman armies launched an assault and within hours the city was under Roman occupation and soon also a Roman possession. On January 1, 1814, Rome signed a peace treaty with Burgundy in which Rome received control over Picardie, Artois, Cambary, Rethel, Barrois and Namur. Once again, Rome was facing rebel problems for a brief time because of overextension. These could almost be neglected though.

J6Qh8Wf.png

The only two parties left in the war were England and Garjat. Unfortunately, Mexico had occupied England's capital and therefore it was not possible for Rome to conquer it but then Mexico decided not to it and a Roman army sailed to Sao Tome where it arrived on April, 22, 1814, and by June the province was Roman! England also had to cede Nias, an island in Asia. Furthermore, they renounced some of their claims on the British Isles.

cFYGVox.jpg

The coalition war ended on July 17, 1814, with the full-annexation of Garjat. Victory, at last!
Back at peace, diplomats began working on integrating Multan and Crimea into the Roman Empire.

10fk8oO.png

Europe in 1814

zZuRXGY.jpg

Comments:

What an unbelievably successful coalition war this turned out to be! We annexed Ragusa, Portugal and Lorraine. We conquered most of Bavaria, Austria and Burgundy. Furthermore, we gained territory Africa, India and South-East Asia. The odd thing is that we were highly, highly outnumbered when this war started. We basically won the war by focusing first on Asia, knowing that we'd triumph there.
The more years passed, the more countries left the war either peacefully or by force. This weakened the coalition to the point where our forces gained the upper hand.

The next chapter will be the final chapter, I know I said that this was going to be the last chapter but I said so before the coalition war had started and so many events happened in it that I decided to opt for another instalment of this AAR. There are only six years left in this campaign.

Cheers and thanks for reading!

Reactions:
I agree that you experienced a bug (in your favour) because you were able to peace out the coalition members individually but I'm surprised that you say the war declaration screen didn't warn you.

In my 1.13 Spain run where I got Master of India I tried the same thing (attacking a Protectorate whilst already at war with the overlord) and the screen warned my that the overlord would get involved (which I knew wouldn't happen) and also that the coalition would get involved. Like you, I didn't think the coalition would actually get involved because I am conditioned to not trust the UI in this game but, in fairness to the game, the warning was there.

Reactions:
Wow that's awesome how it turned out! Is Hungary a good target to attack? Rome must* conquer across the Danube.

*If possible, of course.
Hungary is in a coalition against me. Maybe I can find a way to conquer some of their territory but there are only six years left. Can't make promisses.

I agree that you experienced a bug (in your favour) because you were able to peace out the coalition members individually but I'm surprised that you say the war declaration screen didn't warn you.

In my 1.13 Spain run where I got Master of India I tried the same thing (attacking a Protectorate whilst already at war with the overlord) and the screen warned my that the overlord would get involved (which I knew wouldn't happen) and also that the coalition would get involved. Like you, I didn't think the coalition would actually get involved because I am conditioned to not trust the UI in this game but, in fairness to the game, the warning was there.
I'm sure that in my case the UI did not warn me that this woll happen. It said only that the overlord will join (which was wrong information in the first place)

Short announcement:
My next AAR will be mildly interactive (received approval already). I hope to see many of you back there once it starts. Haven't decided on the nation yet. Suggestions for a country in Western Europe are welcome.
I'm also tempted at creating a custom nation with western tech with capital in Alexandria. Thoughts?
What would you like to see?

How interactive would it be? I have no problem with giving analysis to your current situation and possible military endevours, but everything else would really be boring. That's just me.

I'd perhaps try and go with Brittany, Navarra or the Irish minors because they are rather hard starts. A bit harder would be to start as one of the many OPM's in the HRE - If you wish to start there, the only choice is Ulm without question.

You could also try a WC as Aztecs. That woud be really difficult to pull of but you've pulled of damn difficult things before. But it's OK if that doesn't sound appealing to you.

Reactions:
I'm not sure yet how much interactivity there will be.
The readers will be able to vote on certain aspects of the campaign. For example I might make a poll and ask which idea group we should take next, or if we should convert religion, etc. I've never done a mildly interactive AAR before so this is as new to me as it might be to some of you.
If the interactivity turns out to be something that makes the AAR more boring instead of more interesting then the AAR will be contiuned as a regular one.

Chapter XXIV - No Happy Ending
Imam Clemens VII was informed by the Roman diplomatic corps that there were currently five wars being fought throughout the entire world. The Münster-Hessian Nationalist War was the one with the most participants. It was a war that Münster was losing to the defending Hessians. This update on the political situation was from December 1, 1814.

fbxK5Nk.jpg

That same month, a Roman invasion of Golkonda happened after a rebellion of Bastari Separatists was put down.
In 1815, there were many people in the Roman Empire that believed hat the clergy should no longer be exempted from paying taxes. Some of the Imam's advisors suggested that it was for the good of the nation if the clergy finally paid taxes to fund military campaigns and they were sure that Allah was not going to mind. Clemens was generally speaking a pious man but he agreed to his advisors' proposal.

W5fZwiZ.png

Good news arrived from Holstein in November, 1815. The construction of the Kiel Canal was finally completed! Ships were now able to travel from the Baltic to the North Sea faster.
On March 8, 1816, the siege of Golconda was over. The full annexation of Golkonda was demanded the day after.

igCFX1v.png

In Adjust Clemens then called for an Imperialism War against the one-province-minor Brunei which had been forced away from its homeland, Borneo, by Sunda. This was a a very short war. In fact it came to an end in November of the same year and resulted obviously in conquest. Yolngu was now a Roman province.

7Az2bt1.jpg

One year later Rome went to war with the African nation of Macina which was a regional power in Central Africa. Rome also decided to opt for a naval invasion of Brittany which had successfully relocated to Siberia.
In December, 1817, the integration of Multan into the Roman Empire had been completed. This left the Romans just with Crimea as vassal.

64b7MZy.jpg

Brittany was also at war with Breton Brazil and Yeren. Two wars which the Bretons were both losing.
Rome began occupying some Breton provinces and was also doing good progress in Africa.

9b2CYWH.jpg

Something unexpected occurred on May 19, 1819: Cleves declared a punitive war on Rome! This was doomsday but Rome decided to fight bravely with the intention of not ceding any territory to the enemy. Separate peaces were no option this time.
That's why in June the war with Macina came to an abrupt end. Nevertheless, they had to cede about twenty provinces to Rome.

GVHuRjk.jpg

Out of nowhere, Spain declared independence. None of the provinces in Iberia were under rebel occupation. Lots of land was suddenly lost to Spain. Nobody in the realm could explain what just happened. Some believed that this was the work of the evil Christian God.

oFldVq7.jpg

Rome had no chance to win that punitive war, especially the involvement of Ming and Russia was problematic. In January of 1820, the first forts fell into enemy hands.
The armies of Clemens managed to win some battles here and war score stayed positive at about 9% in May, 1820. However, the size of the hostile armies was too large. Nobody believed in victory.

r08ds6n.jpg

In Asia looks particularly bad. Doomstacks from Ming were rampaging through Roman India.

QiskHm0.jpg

Clemens committed suicide on January 4, 1821. He saw no way out of winning the war and left the Roman Empire in turmoil and chaos...

adZ9ohx.jpg

The world in January, 1821.

vv6W6qW.jpg

UiTeQU0.jpg

ivgLdL6.jpg

nzes9Uz.jpg

t3ZNG7U.jpg

yUIszMf.jpg

955ITzK.jpg

jNzkWce.jpg

Comments:
I don't know how Spain suddenly became an independent nation. There was no event and Iberia was NOT occupied by rebels..

I accidentally took a screenshot of the war with Macina instead of the newly started punitive war. I only noticed this when I began cropping the screenshots. Since this is ironman I could not reload to re-take the screenshot. Sorry about that. The attackers had an army about 3-4 times as large as mine.

All in all I am happy with this campaign. As I said earlier, it was some sort of 'learning campaign' for myself because this was my first real campaign after I had returned from a long AAR break.

Thought the course of this AAR, the most Catholic nation in EU IV has become the largest Sunni Empire in the world.

If some of you want to see more screenshots of ledger entries then I can take them and upload them later but I wasn't sure if that was interesting so I did not take any yet.

I'd love to hear your thoughts on this campaign. Feedback is highly appreciated, no matter if positive or negative! What should I have done differently, both gameplay and writing-wise?

What's next? As previously mentioned, I will start a new mildly interactive AAR in the near future and hope to see you back around.

Thanks for reading!

Reactions:
So close, yet so far.

You almost restored the roman empire, but you failed in your mission.

You forgot Belgium.

So close, yet so far.

I'm happy with the result give that my goal was to turn the Papal State into a Sunni country.

You almost restored the roman empire, but you failed in your mission.

You forgot Belgium.

But yes, I 'failed' at restoring the borders of the Roman Empire at its height. That shall be for another AAR :) Belgium is not the only region that is missing. I also miss a few provinces that are held by Theodoro. Trier was also a Roman city.

Cheers!