• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Cpoffers

First Lieutenant
31 Badges
Nov 24, 2014
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Europa Universalis 4: Emperor
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
qTQQQKY.jpg

v1.7.6.2
Last known compatibility: CK2+ v4.07.8
Compatible
INCOMPATIBLE WITH CKII+ v4.08 BETA
Checksum: WYGY

DOWNLOAD
MAKE SURE TO DELETE ANY PREVIOUS VERSIONS BEFORE INSTALLING. THANK YOU.

Rex Teutonicorum is a submod for CK2+ that was made on-and-off for over a year, aiming to add more events, mechanics and flavour to the Holy Roman Empire (and its Carolingian predecessor), along with adding all manner of other little bits and pieces such as new bookmarks, government types and more.

This submod is a work in progress, and more content is expected to be added in the future. The main features in the current version are listed below:

Features
  • A brand new 950 bookmark, set shortly after Berengar II's ascension to the throne of Italy, with 'Charlemagne' style story events involving him, Otto I of Germany and the creation of the Holy Roman Empire. These events can be turned off via game rule​
  • A slightly less exciting 888 bookmark, set shortly after the deposition and death of Emperor Charles the Fat, and the emergance of a post-Carolingian Europe​
  • Another 962 bookmark, very similar to the 950 one, except that the Holy Roman Empire has already been formed.
  • An event chain for the Investiture Controversy of the 11th century, a period where the Holy Roman Emperor and the Papacy were at each others' throats, ultimately having a major effect on the history of both. These events can end in a compromise, as they did historically, or in an Imperial or Papal victory. In addition, a 1075 bookmark has been added that will kickstart the Investiture Controversy close to its real historical date​
  • A whole bunch of other new events for the Holy Roman Empire, dealing with Papal relations, Imperial power and more​
  • A new co-crown mechanic, where Holy Roman/Carolingian Emperors with feudal elective succession can attempt to have a close family member crowned King of the Romans, ensuring that they will succeed to the imperial throne. However, should the vassals reject the proposed co-crownee, the institution of co-crowning will end.
  • A new Hussite heresy for Catholicism. In addition, a new event chain has been added, dealing with the appearance of Jan Hus and the spread of his teachings throughout Bohemia, potentially leading to the Hussite Wars. These events can be made historical (start around the end of the 14th century), random (can start whenever a Catholic kingdom of Bohemia exists) or turned off entirely via game rule​
  • Changes to how the HRE is formed. Rather than simply having a large German realm, to form the HRE requires the Kingdom of Italy and at least one other "Carolingian" kingdom (Germany, France, Lotharingia or Burgundy).​
  • An Italian instability event chain. After the Carolingian Empire collapses, the Pope will start to interfere in the Italian crown, giving out claims to the title to people he likes with the promise of a Papal crowning if he doesn't like the current holder. These events can be turned off via game rule​
  • A new Communal government type, tied to the new communal administration law that's available to Qarmatians, Tondrakians, Mazdakians or peasant leaders (or anybody with the "Communal Administration" game rule set to "Unrestricted"). The communal government involves a "peasant discontent" mechanic, wherein how happy the peasants are will provide bonuses or penalties for a ruler. This government type can be removed from a game by setting the "Communal Administration" game rule to "Off".​
  • Fixes and changes to history files, especially in India.​
  • New Treaty of Verdun mechanics for the Carolingian Empire: after the death of the Emperor, the king-vassals of the new Emperor can choose to accept or deny his power over them. Should the Emperor refuse to acknowledge their rights, there is a chance they will revolt against him. If they are then victorious, the Empire will be "partitioned", locked into minimal crown authority and go back to "vanilla" CK2+ mechanics. If the emperor defeats the upstart kings, the Empire will effectively become the HRE in all but name. In addition, the Emperor can once again claim full authority over the whole Empire again, though their king-vassals will likely not be happy about this
  • Changes to how HRE 'kingdom' titles are formed: rather than being able to create the kingdom titles whenever, if the HRE has the no-kingdoms law, the various Grand Duchies (and Bohemia) are created by raising their base duchies via decision. However, an Emperor needs to be both crowned by the Pope and have the money to do so, and the newly raised kingdom-level title goes to the duchy holder rather than the Emperor themself (unless the Emperor owns the duchy in question). Doing so will create a non-aggression pact between the Emperor and their new king-vassal, ensuring the latter's loyalty to the former
  • New Guelph and Ghibelline traits, allowing Italian Imperial vassals to choose their post-Investiture Controversy allegiance between the Emperor and the Pope
  • A "Title Merging" mechanic, where holding certain pairs of titles (Eastphalia and Westphalia, Upper Lorraine and Lower Lorraine, and Neustria and Austrasia) will "merge" and rename them (into "Saxony", "Lotharingia" and "Francia" respectively)
  • New stuff for games converted to EUIV, including Hussite, Qarmatian and Tondrakian as their own religions, plus a handful of new events and decisions
  • New character frames for characters with the Bogomilist government type
  • Restored the anti-Pope moral authority hit, though at a smaller value than in Vanilla​
  • New localisations for restoring the Roman Empire as not-the-Byzantines, both in the decision window and the event itself​
  • Other, less notable stuff
Images

HAQ (Hypothetically Asked Questions)
  • What is this?
    • Think of it as a kind of 'mini-expansion', kinda in the vein of Legacy of Rome. It adds a bunch of stuff that should, hopefully, make it a bit more interesting to play as the Holy Roman Empire.
  • Why make this?
    • I always felt the HRE wasn't represented particularly accurately in CKII, given that there was a lot that made it stand out from the average feudal realm of the time. Also, in pretty much every game I play, the HRE itself tends to blob out spectacularly, expanding into Russia and North Africa, and so I felt, given that it's a big powerful empire present for much of the game and obtainable on startup, that it needed to be nerfed with historical precedent. I felt that an expansion would be a good way to flesh out the HRE the way I wanted, but got sick of waiting for Paradox to release it and decided to make something similar myself.
  • Are you affiliated with CK2+?
    • Nope. This submod is made independently of the CK2+ team, and is made as per the CK2+ Usage Policy.
  • Is this submod compatible with/without India?
    • Yes, submod is compatible both with and without India!
  • Is this submod compatible with [CK2+ version]?
    • I think it's safe to say anything before v.4.06 is incompatible. As for future versions, I will try and keep the top of this post updated with compatibility status, marking it INCOMPATIBLE, UNKNOWN or COMPATIBLE with the current version, along with a note of the last known version it was compatible with. Please bear with me when a new CK2+ version comes out, and I'll try and update as soon as possible.
  • Is this submod compatible with [Mod/submod]?
    • Assume no. A mod of this size and type inevitably means that a lot of files have been changed, meaning that any mod that also changes those files is incompatible. In the post below this one, I will try and keep a list of mods and submods that are known to be compatible, so feel free to suggest any you think are.
  • Is this mod compatible with/without [specific DLC]?
    • It should hopefully work with or without any of the DLCs. If you find something that doesn't work with/without a DLC activated, please report it.
  • Where do I report a bug/issue or share an idea/suggestion?
    • In this very thread of course. Before reporting a bug, please try and make sure that it's one caused by the submod itself rather than a Vanilla or CK2+ one, and that you're not running any incompatible mods (checksums are listed at the top of this post, for reference). Also, if possible, if you could provide a save-file, preferably non-compressed (by unchecking the box next to the name field as you're saving) and specify if you were playing with or without India, that would be appreciated.
  • I want the bookmarks but not the other stuff in the submod. Is this possible?
    • Sure is! A submod containing only the bookmarks can be downloaded at the bottom of this post.
  • Are the bookmarks/events historically accurate?
    • Yes and no. While great, painstaking, time-consuming care was done to make as many things in this mod as historically accurate as possible, stuff like limitations due to game-mechanics, prioritising fun and ease of play and the general unwillingness of people in ye olde days to keep accurate records means that the new content isn't completely 100% historically accurate. There are a whole bunch of fictional characters for a start...
  • Can I use something in this mod for my own mod?
    • Of course, as long as you let me know amd give full credit, both to me and the CK2+ crew where appropriate.
  • Will there be a Vanilla version of this mod?
    • Possibly, but not for a long time. Bookmark modding is not exactly quick and easy, and with the amount of changes that CK2+ makes to the map, making a vanilla version of this mod would almost mean starting from scratch in a lot of places. I would also have to ask the CK2+ team for permission to use some of the mechanics I've piggy-backed off of, though this is less of an issue. I haven't written off the idea of a Vanilla-compatible Rex Teutonicorum entirely though.
  • How do I play as a communal character?
    • Communal government is tied to the Communal Administration law. Normally, only Qarmatians, Tondrakians, Mazdakians and rulers with the peasant leader trait can pass this law, but with the "Communal Administration" game rule set to "Unrestricted", anybody can pass it. Additionally, the Jannabids, who rule in eastern Arabia in any start date between 899 and 1078, and the few Mazdaki counts in the 769 start (namely the ones in Esfahan, Qohistan and Chaghaniyan) begin with communal government; this doesn't show up on character select due to the values that make a title communal only being loaded up AFTER the game has started. As soon as you hit play, they'll be communal.
  • Why can't I co-crown an heir?
    • In order to co-crown a character as King of the Romans, you must a) be crowned by the Pope, b) have the monetary cost of a Papal coronation, plus 2x the prestige and 1.5x the piety required, and c) be attempting to co-crown a close family member. Also, between 1122 and 1153, and from 1232 to the end of the game, co-crownings are unavailable due to historical stuff.
  • What are the future plans for this mod?
    • Any thoughts or ideas I have for future content is in the post below this one. Also, feel free to suggest some ideas of your own if you have any.

As with other mods, installation consists of downloading the .zip file and extracting it to your mod folder. After that, start the game, check the "Rex Teutonicorum" box in the mod tab (making sure that CK2+ is also ticked) and enjoy!

I Look forward to any feedback you have to offer.

Attachments

• RexTeut bookmarks v1-7-6.zip
    1,2 MB · Views: 105
  • rex teutonicorum v1-7-6-2.zip
    4,9 MB · Views: 811
Last edited:
Changelog
v1.7.6(.1/.2)
  • Tweaks to ensure full compatibility with CKII+ v4.07.7 (v4.07.8 with v1.7.6.1)
  • Fixed a bug that prevented the HRE being formed (v1.7.6.2)
v1.7.5
  • Tweaks to ensure full compatibility with CKII+ v4.07.6
  • Hussite now included in "Western Christians" in regard to Chinese Emperor's likes/dislikes
  • Aintab is now a vassal of Aleppo in 1066
v1.7.4.1
  • Tweaks to ensure full compatibility with CKII+ v4.07.5
  • Fixed an issue that caused inheritance of the HRE to go to a seemingly random character if the former HREmperor died after failing to co-crown an heir [v1.7.4.1 hotfix]
v1.7.4
  • Changes to ensure full compatibility with CKII+ v4.07.4
  • Fixed Tondrakian Uprising events firing multiple times
  • Dwin is now Tondrakian between 955 and 1050
  • Otto no longer has both "Crowned" and "Crowned by Pope" traits in 962
  • Fixed rulers being tribal despite owning feudal holdings
v1.7.3
  • Changes to ensure full compatibility with CKII+ v4.07.3
  • Otto now starts with the crowned trait in 950
  • Fixed an issue that was causing missing localisations in the event that fires upon first founding the HRE
  • Fixed Gorgora in Gondar having the wrong localisation, and therefore never having a holder
  • Cleaned up northern Africa a bit in 1066
  • Fixed heretics not having the ability to go pagan
v1.7.2
  • Very small tweaks to ensure full compatibility with CKII+ v4.07.2
  • Fixed some issues where events that were set to be fired from title changes either fired multiple times or didn't fire at all
  • Fixed a problem where some kings of Strathclyde were the wrong culture (and were thus getting the "wrong holding type" alert)
  • Made the children of Olaf (king of Northumbria in 950) his dynasty to prevent early game-overs
  • Changed the culture of early Fatimid rulers to maghreb_arabic, and gave them some event troops in the 950 and 962 starts
  • A great deal of historical changes in Persia, Khorasan and Khwarizm in the 867 and 888 start dates
  • In the history files, switched k_khwarizm with k_turan, and switched k_qarakhnid to k_khwarizm
  • Removed k_qarakhnid, but gave its colour to k_khwarizm
  • Added historical wars to the bookmark-only version of the mod
  • Fixed the Ghazanvid conquest of the Saffarids in 1000
  • Mazadki characters in 769 (namely the counts in Esfahan, Qohistan and Chaghaniyan) are now communal at game start
v1.7.1
  • Minor tweaks to ensure full compatibility with CKII+ v4.07.1
  • Fixed an issue where winning the Investiture Controversy by vassalising the Pope would result in multiple event pop-ups and a subsequent tanking of Catholic moral authority
  • Gave the province of Van another holding slot
  • Reverted Rugen back to feudal in earlier starts. In addition, the Rani (Rugen and Rostock) are independent between 867 and 1066, and start out with some event troops
v1.7
  • Update to ensure compatibility with CKII v2.8 and CKII+ v4.07
  • Massive overhaul of Treaty of Verdun mechanics: now uses a unique tributary type rather than direct vassalage, and the "Partitioned Empire" modifier has been removed
  • Breaking the Treaty of Verdun now requires a Papal crowning and low crown authority or higher
  • Overhaul of the Guelph and Ghibelline mechanics: any Italian ruler who has the Emperor as top liege can choose their allegiance
  • Added a few new Guelph/Ghibelline events involving vassals of vassals
  • The Carolingian Empire can now be formed if the Byzantine Emperor is Orthodox
  • Fixed a major bug where the Concordat of Worms event wouldn't fire for the Emperor (thus preventing the Investiture Controversy from truly ending)
  • Added the province of Perugia, split off from Spoleto
  • When forming the Carolingian Empire, Perugia goes to the Pope, rather than Spoleto
  • Three new Grand Duchies (and associated decisions) for a HRE with land in France: Burgundy, Normandy and Aquitaine
  • New Grand Duchies added in CKII+ v4.07 have decisions to raise them, except Sicily
  • Grand Duchy of Sicily has been removed, but the Kingdom of Sicily can be raised in its stead
  • Gave the Magyars some event troops in 950
  • Fixed a mistake in the code that would cause the truce from Otto's first war against Berengar to only last a year
  • Fixed a bug where adopting Imperial Administration with communal vassals would cause them to change government type
  • Nerfed the revolt risk for the "Tondrakian Stronghold" modifier
  • New colours, icons and frames for the Imperial Bogomilist and Imperial Muslim government types
  • Major changes to the history files, mainly in the 1000 bookmark
  • Deleted duplicate Ziyarids
  • Expanded Istria again, landlocking Krain
  • In 769, d_burgundy is de-jure k_burgundy (forming the Carolingian Empire makes it de-jure k_france as per usual)
  • Fixed a bug where forming the Margraviate of Brandenburg would cause its subsequent holder to become independent
  • In order to form the Margraviate of Brandenburg, the decision-taker must now be independent
  • The Carolingian Empire now converts to the HRE in EUIV (CONVERTER IS CURRENTLY INCOMPATIBLE AND SO THIS HASN'T BEEN FULLY TESTED YET)
  • Otto's first victory against Berengar should now properly make the latter a tributary of the former, even without Horse Lords active
  • Gave King Eadred of England a poopy butt
  • Muslims can only go on the Hajj if Mecca is unoccupied
  • Seljuks are now Empire-tier in the 1066 start and later
  • Added major-triggers to "major" events
  • Various tweaks to ensure compatibility with CKII+ v4.07 BETA 5
  • Slightly redid the Treaty of Meerssen events, so that there is now a delay between the titles changing hands and the initial event firing (which fixes a couple of issues)
  • With Communal Administration rules set to "Restricted", AI will only adopt communal administration if they openly follow the relevant religions
  • Cleaned up title history files, deleting files that were unchanged from vanilla CKII+ and reducing the filesize of this mod a bit
  • Expansion of Bulgaria's borders between 950 and 1000
  • Massive changes to East Africa:
    • Alodia is now an independent state
    • Makuria reduced to duke-level
    • The Zagwe dynasty now appears much, much later and with reduced land
    • Territory of the former Kingdom of Axum is split between Alodia and Semien from 960 to 1137
    • After 1137, the Medri Bahri state is now independent in Eritrea
    • The provinces of Gondar and Antalo have switched positions
    • The provinces of Akordat and Barka have switched positions
    • d_axum is now de-jure k_abyssinia
  • De-jure Kingdom of Allemania (Swabia) in 769: acts smiliarly to the Kingdom of Saxony, in that forming the Carolingian Empire reduces it to titular status (and destroys the title if the new Emperor holds it)
  • New decision icon for forming the Carolingian Empire
  • Added some ai_check_intervals to decisions
  • Fixed the dynasty of rulers in Sindh (historical Habbaris being presented as Soomras)
  • EUIV converter should now be working
  • Changes to ensure compatibility with CKII+ v4.07 BETA 6
  • Filled out missing history of Tibet in 950 and 962 bookmarks, as well as the new Saharan provinces
  • General history cleanup in the region between Mesopotamia and Khorasan
  • Changed the colour of e_seljuk_turks to better differentiate it from the new e_arabia colour
  • New "Off" value on the "Communal Administration" rule, which effectively removes communal government from the game
  • With "Communal Administration" set to "Unrestricted", the AI will now never adopt communal administration unless they'd be able to with the rule set to "Restricted"
  • Fixed a bug where changing from feudal to communal and visa versa wouldn't change the government type
  • Fixed some issues with d_zabulistan in the late 9th century bookmarks
  • Fixed Saxony and Provence being theocracies in 888
  • "Peasants ask for demesne from communal rulers" event will no longer fire for count-tier rulers
  • Removed the county of Khoy (newly added CKII+ province of Urmia now stands in as the other part of de-jure Vaspurakan)
  • Tondrakian uprising events now spawn in Dwin
  • Fixed a bug that caused the Qarmatian Uprising event to not work properly
  • Gave the Qarmatian Uprising a major buff
v1.6
  • Various tweaks to ensure full compatibility with CKII+ v4.06.8
  • Brand new co-crowning mechanic for Holy Roman/Carolingian Emperors with feudal elective succession
  • Added title localisation for communal realms
  • Fixed an issue where Indian provinces were not part of any region
  • If the Carolignian Empire becomes a different empire due to religion change/Roman Empire restoration, the new empire uses Treaty of Verdun mechanics
  • Sufficiently large dukes can now protest if the Carolingian Emperor attempts to break the Treaty of Verdun
  • Prevented AI controlled Otto from using the Carolingian reconquest CB, as he loves to invade Italy and break the story events
  • Creating the Carolingian Empire should now provide the Kingdom of Aquitaine if it doesn't already exist (which should hopefully reduce some border gore)
  • Nerfed the absorb-Burgundy-into-the-HRE events: the event that fires due to the King of Burgundy having no close heir now has a greater MTTH, and the event for helping out the King in exchange for being made heir now has more dependencies
  • Fixed even more issues from barony-level communal titles and their auto-changing succession laws
  • Further reduced the chance of the AI adopting communal administration with the rule set as "unrestricted"
  • The Carolingian Empire can now only be formed if the Byzantine Emperor is "unworthy" in the Pope's eyes: either a child, a woman, uncrowned, a heretic, or just plain hated by the Pope himself
  • Fixed a typo in the code that would prevent the Treaty of Verdun from being revokable
  • The Kingdom Lockout law should now no longer be auto-revoked from the Carolingian Empire
  • Fixed the descriptions in the Peasant Discontent modifiers to reflect the actual revolt risk they give
  • Split the rules relating to the communal mechanics into their own rule group
  • Filled out the histories of some titles in the Lower-Lorraine area
  • Fixed an issue with the event where rebellious peasants rise up to overthrow a communal ruler that was preventing the actual war itself from firing
  • If Berengar or his heir captures Rome before being defeated by Otto the second time, Rome itself returns to the Pope's control upon their defeat
  • Changed the target of Berengar/his heir after their first defeat by Otto from d_latium to c_roma
  • Fixed an issue that would occasionaly cause a newly-formed HRE/Carolingian Empire from not having the Chalcedonian Pope as a religious head
  • Added in some failsafes and maintenance events that should hopefully help with a bug where newly-independent peasant revolters against communal realms end up with "no_government" as their government type
  • When formed, the HRE now starts with free investiture, and the AI will never change it to Papal of their own volition
  • Otto in 962 starts with enough prestige and piety to co-crown his son
v1.5.4.1
  • Fixed an issue that was causing CTDs when a character adopted communal administration
  • Adopting communal administration no longer resets your Crown Authority to 0
  • Fixed a bug where getting a Papal Crowning as Carolingian Emperor before any of the Treaty of Verdun mechanics fired would replace the Carolingian Empire with the HRE, minus all the relevant title flags
v1.5.4
  • Various tweaks to ensure full compatibility with CKII+ v4.06.7
  • Fixed further issues with "merged" titles not unmerging when both parts of a pair held by different rulers
  • New story events involving the Bavarian acquisition of the March of Verona after the first war between Otto and Berengar
  • Fixed a bug with proper flags not being set up after Berengar's first loss
  • Changed the de-jure set up of the period between the Carolingian Empire's collapse and the HRE's formation
  • Changed the scope of the "Carolingian Reconquest" CB: now targets de-jure Carolingian duchies rather than de-jure HRE ones
  • New events to add Burgundy to the HRE
  • The Duchy of Barcelona is de-jure Andalusia in the 769 start
  • However, a new "Form Marca Hispanica" decision can be taken by a neighbouring Christian ruler who owns Barcelona, which changes the de-jure structure
  • Vaspurakan now has primogeniture
  • If the HRE/Carolingian Empire is replaced due to the Roman Empire being reformed by somebody else, de-jure land for either empire is changed to that of the empire that replaces it
  • When raising Lorraine or Holland to Grand Duchy status, the new Grand Duchies should now be de-jure HRE
  • Fixed some localisation issues, mainly with spelling (Statutum in FavorEm Principum... how'd I miss that for so long?)
  • AI will no longer raise Grand Duchies unless it has 1.5x the cost of the decision
  • AI will no longer raise Saxony or Lorraine to Grand Duchy status if the holder of the relevant duchies is already king-tier
  • Raising Lorraine to Grand Duchy status no longer requires the Duchy of Alsace
  • Absorbing Bohemia into the HRE via tributary status can now only happen if Bohemia borders the HRE itself
v1.5.3
  • New "Force Papal Crowning" casus belli, allowing Emperor's who have been refused a coronation by the Pope to invade the Papal State to force one
  • The Lorraine/Lotharingia titles now change names based on culture again (without affecting their names in 769), with the Kingdom of Lotharingia now being renamed to Lothringen as well
  • Filled out the history of Reims, which in turn fixes a bug in 962 with the Kingdom of France being a theocracy
  • Fixed a bug with the decisions to raise the German Stem Duchies to Grand Duchy status that meant that the decisions didn't appear
  • Fixed some missing dynasties in the bookmark-only mod
  • Fixed a bug with Francia not "de-merging" into Neustria and Austrasia in 769
v1.5.2.2
  • Fixed a CTD-causing bug occurring due to rulers adopting communal administration while holding baron-level titles
  • Altered a few of the "Raise Grand Duchy" decisions:
    • To take into account de-jure drift, raising Holland or Bohemia now needs d_holland, d_gelre and d_brabant (Holland) and d_bohemia and d_moravia (Bohemia) to be fully controlled instead of the kingdom titles
    • Raising Tuscany and Luxembourg now needs the duchy titles themselves to be fully controlled (as well as five county titles in general)
    • Raising Lorraine needs upper and lower Lorraine as well as Alsace to be completely controlled
v1.5.2.1
  • Minor tweaks to ensure full compatibility with CKII+ v4.06.6
  • Fixed a bug with the title merging mechanic where owning the duchies of Trier and Metz (aka Upper and Lower Lorraine in a 769 start) would rename them to "Lotharingia", and then, when they have different holders again, rename them to their default Lorraine names
  • Changed the Jannabid characters from the CKII+ Jannabid dynasty to the vanilla Jannabid dynasty (due to the latter having the correct religion/culture values so that the CoA on character select is the same as on game start)
  • Fixed a bug where successful peasant revolts against communal realms would set the new independent peasant leader as "nogovernment"
  • Changed the Raise to Grand Duchy decisions to fit in with new CKII+ changes: raising one of the German duchies requires you or your vassal to completely control the duchy itself, and raising Holland or Bohemia requires you or a vassal to completely control the associated de-jure kingdom title
v1.5.2
  • Polished up the Statutum in Favorum Principum events, including making sure that the faction and civil war mechanics were working properly and putting in a few more ai behaviour modifiers
  • Revoking the Statutum in Favorum Principum now requires 1000 prestige rather than 500, as well as having to be crowned
  • A HRE or Carolingian restored Roman Empire now uses HRE mechanics, including Papal crownings and Investiture Controversy events
  • A Carolingian or Holy Roman Emperor now needs to be crowned by the Pope before they can restore the Roman Empire
  • A Carolingian Emperor can no longer restore the Roman Empire if the Empire has been partitioned via the Treaty of Verdun mechanics
  • A Holy Roman/Carolingian Emperor who has won the Investiture Controversy or a Roman Emperor whose Empire was originally the HRE/Carolingian Empire can now, at medium crown authority or higher, choose to end the policy of Papal crownings, simply getting a normal crowning instead
  • New dynamic "title merging" mechanic: if a character holds certain pairs of titles that were, at some point in their history, considered parts of a single title, they are renamed to reflect that. If both parts of each pair have different holders, they are renamed back to normal. The current titles are:
    • d_upper_lorraine and d_lower_lorraine are renamed to "Lotharingia"
    • d_eastphalia and d_westphalia are renamed to "Saxony"
    • k_france and k_lotharingia before the Carolingian Empire has formed are renamed to "Francia"
  • A non-HRE, non-Carolingian restored Roman Emperor no longer destroys those titles, but instead replaces them with a new Empire, ala the "HREmperor is the wrong faith event"
  • Speaking of which, the "HREmperor is the wrong faith" event and its aftermath have undergone some changes:
    • The event in general has been heavily redesigned, with a new image and text
    • The Carolingian Empire is now included in the event, and should it be changed this way, it counts as its collapse
    • Which empire the HRE is replaced with depends on its cultural composition upon its founding (German, French or Italian) rather than the culture of the current Emperor or the de-jure kingdom of their primary non-Imperial title. (The Carolingian Empire defaults to the Frankish Empire, only picking another one if that title is already taken)
    • Vassals are more likely to declare independence from the new Empire than before
    • As long as the heathen Emperor is Christian or Pagan, they can always convert to Catholic/Chalcedonian (before, was based on geography and religion of capital)
    • The new Empire still uses the Statutum in Favorum Principum mechanics in their entirety
    • Hussite, Lollard and Waldensian are no longer accepted religions for HRE preservation (due to their largely anti-Papal doctrines)
    • Fraticelli is only an accepted religion if it's not a heresy and the Fraticelli Pope exists
    • If the HRE changes to another empire this way, it can be changed back into the HRE by a Catholic/Chalcedonian emperor, with the decision operating similar to a standard Papal crowning (i.e. you need money, prestige, piety and the good will of the Pope). The decisions is the same as the recreate-HRE-if-it's-already-been-formed decision, meaning all rulers who wish to recreate the HRE must abide by those restrictions
    • Fixed a bug where the change-HRE event fires multiple times if the heathen Emperor inherits more than just the Imperial title
  • The Kingdom of Germany can no longer be restored via decision if the German Empire has a holder
  • New Charlemagne story event, involving the 769 Aquitaine revolt (like all CM story events, only fires if the game rule is set)
  • The ruler of Aquitaine in 769 is now a different character (there's no evidence that the Hunoald that revolted against Charlemagne is the Hunoald who ruled Aquitaine until 744, despite what Vanilla will tell you)
  • Removed the German-cultures-renaming-Lorraine-to-Lothringen mechanic in favour of renaming d_upper_lorraine, d_lower_lorraine and c_lorraine "Metz", "Trier" and "Nancy" respectively in 769
  • The Duchy of Austria is now a vassal of the HRE in the history files (how the heck did I miss that)
  • Fixed some issues in the history files involving a few counties in Sicily that are not HRE vassals during the Kingdom's HRE years
  • Guelph and Ghibelline traits now affect faction creation, membership and civil war allegiance
  • If the Fraticelli Pope exists after the HRE is founded (and Fraticelli is no longer a heresy), a Fraticelli HREmperor can now get a Papal crowning from him
  • Improved the localisation on some of the chronicle entries
  • Fixed a bug where d_raguse had 0 technology in all start dates
v1.5.1
  • Minor tweaks to ensure full compatibility with CKII+ v4.06.5
  • Communal realms converted into EUIV now get unique national ideas
  • Communal realms converted into EUIV with The Cossacks active get a new Peasantry estate, complete with events and a relevant estate-takeover disaster
  • Mazdaki, Qarmatian and Tondrakian countries in a converted EUIV game now get a decision to convert to communal (Peasant Republic government type). However, doing so may well cause a backlash in provinces not of the relevant religion, especially those controlled by the Nobility estate
  • Fixed an issue in the decisions for converted EUIV games that may have been causing a problem but probably wasn't but whatever it's fixed now
  • Upped the requirements in converted EUIV games for, as the HREmperor, getting a Papal crowning and/or ending the tradition of Papal crownings. Both now require more Papal Influence, with the latter requiring the year to be at least 1500
  • Gave the EUIV Hussite War disaster a non-placeholder icon
  • The Statutum in Favorum Principum faction and civil war mechanics should now follow standard CKII+ civil war mechanics (traits, call to arms decision etc). IMPORTANT NOTE: THIS FEATURE HASN'T BEEN PROPERLY TESTED YET
  • The Qarmatian Republic now exists until 1078, and between 1077 and then is a scripted invasion by the Uyunids
  • Southern Italian vassals will now only break free from Charlemagne/Carloman's realm if he's over his vassal limit after conquering the Lombard Kingdom
  • New Caliphs of Cordoba will inherit a strong claim to the Sunni Caliphate from their predecessor (ensuring the rival Caliphate will continue for as long as the Kingdom of Andalusia exists)
  • Creating the Margraviate of Brandenburg now largely follows the HRE Grand Duchy mechanics (i.e. the title is given to the owner of d_brandenburg and an event is sent out to signal it)
  • k_brandenburg is now only active in the history files from 1157 (though it can be created by event before that)
  • d_brandenburg and d_meissen are now de-jure parts of k_pommerania until 1157
  • Filled out the history of Syria some more (e.g. filling out the histories of d_mosul and d_aleppo and changing the holder of the former in 1000 to the Uqaylids)
  • The Kingdom of Semien now has a holder in the 867, 888 and 950 bookmarks
  • Gondar and Matamma are now Jewish from 863
  • Fixed a typo in the code for the decision to convert from tribal to communal that was messing up the actual conversion process
v1.5
  • New 962 bookmark!
  • Fixed a bug that was causing problems with pragmatist councillor voting patterns
  • Altered the Abbasid vassals somewhat in 888
  • Added/moved around vassals in Byzantium in 888
  • Added/moved around vassals in Aghlabid Africa in 888
  • Restored the decision to form Hungary for those who play with Horse Lords activated. Basically, you have to be a non-nomadic, non-unreformed pagan Hungarian ruler owning a sufficient amount of territory in the Carpathian basin
  • Fixed a bug in the bookmark-only mod where the counties of Van and Khoy had their technology set to 0 in all start dates
  • Reduced the chance of the "Pope demands Emperor accepts Papal superiority" event from firing
  • Increased the size a duke's realm needs to be before they get included into the Treaty of Verdun mechanics
  • Filled out the history files for Leinster, at great cost to my time and sanity
  • Fixed the history files for c_fayoum
  • Playable Ummayad kings of Andalusia after the 950 start now begin the game with a strong claim on the Sunni Caliphate (to reflect their status as self-proclaimed rival Caliphs to the one in Baghdad)
  • Nerfed the revolt-risk penalty for the "peasants unhappy" and "peasants angry" communal modifiers
  • Fixed some anomalies in the history files
  • Fixed a bug where c_khoy had no localisation
v1.4.1
  • Minor tweaks and changes to ensure full compatibility with CKII+ v4.06.4
  • When converting to communal from tribal, holding conversion priority is now placed on castle over city (i.e. if a tribal holding has both stone hillfort and market town when the decision is taken, it should now convert into a castle, rather than a city)
  • Added and/or moved around vassals in the Abbasid Caliphate in 888
  • Removed the duplicate Jannabids who were ruling in eastern Arabia in the 867 and 888 bookmarks
  • Gave the territory of the above to Akin Zabid (who holds Bahrein in the period)
  • Oman now has a holder and is independent in 888
  • Added and/or moved around vassals in East Francia in 888
  • And and/or moved around vassals in France in 888
  • Narbonne in 888 is now ruled by Toulouse rather than Barcelona
  • Added rulers in the Carpathian basin in 888
  • Added and/or moved around vassals in Egypt (Tulunids) in 888
  • Added and/or moved around vassals in Baluchistan (Saffarids) in 888
  • The weird Karen rump state in 888 is removed (territory divided between Yabguids and Saffarids)
  • Fixed a bug where the HRE had no holder between 2nd January and 24th August 1313
  • The Magyar invasion of Carpathia is now only active in the 888 bookmark (as the historical invasion is thought to have occurred in the 890s)
  • Create a precautionary event that gives the Chalcedonian Pope the appropriate Papal State title, should the latter be despawned for whatever reason during gameplay
  • Removed the rel_head_opinion modifiers for the Guelph and Ghibelline traits (turns out those modifiers don't work for traits, who knew)
v1.4 (and v1.3.9)
  • Split c_vaspurakan into c_van and c_khoy (v1.4 only)
  • Added new duchy title Vaspurakan (d_vaspurakan), containing c_van and c_khoy (or just c_vaspurakan in v1.3.9)
  • c_khoy is Tondrakian between 955 and 1055 (i.e in the 1000 bookmark). If the Communal Uprisings game rule is turned on, it will have the "Tondrakian Stronghold" modifier between these dates (v1.4 only)
  • Moved some barony titles around to accomodate the new province (v1.4 only)
  • Increased the size of c_istria so that it looks better in earlier start-dates with independent Italies (v1.4 only)
  • Tondrakian Uprising events now begin in c_khoy (or c_dwin in v1.3.9)
  • Changed d_armenia's capital to c_ani
  • Fixed a bug where baron-level communal Muslims would auto-switch to open succession
  • Fixed a bug where the initial Treaty of Verdun events wouldn't include sufficiently powerful dukes
  • Rugen and Bornholm are now tribal in earlier start-dates
  • Rulers with temporary titles can now no longer adopt communal administration
  • AI peasant leaders can no longer adopt communal administration if they've ruled more than a year
  • Decreased the likelihood of non-Qarmatian/Tondrakian/Mazdaki rulers of adopting communal administration in general
  • Changed the colours of k_canarias and k_tassili to distinguish them from k_nubia
  • Changed the colour of d_pereyaslavl to distinguish it from d_chernigov
  • Changed the colour of d_adrar to distinguish it from d_air
  • Changed the colour of k_persia to its EUIV colour due to being too similar with k_syria
  • Changed the colour of counties in Canarias and Tassili to distinguish them from each other
  • Changed the colour of c_ghana, c_bambuk and c_gurma to distinguish them from c_aoudagast
  • d_osterreich now only has a holder from 1156 (the year Austria was historically raised to duchy status)
  • Fixed an issue where Ryazan had no holder on January 1st 1145
  • Building Cairo as the Fatimids is now done via decision, rather than happening automatically
  • c_troyes and c_nevers are now held by the Duke of Burgundy in 950 rather than the King of France
  • c_nice is now de-jure a part of d_provence
  • Made the chance of Bohemia becoming a HRE vassal if they lose territory a bit more likely
  • Fixed the history files for the Kingdom of Lanka to better represent history
  • Fixed a possible bug involving communal characters and claimant factions that might have been causing a crash
v1.3.1
  • Minor tweaks to ensure full compatibility with CKII+ v4.06.3
  • Removed "high crown authority upsets peasants" events due to balance issues
  • Fixed a bug where giving out temple baronies as a non-Muslim communal ruler would create theocratic vassals
  • Reduced the chance of rulers adopting communal administration if the relevant game rule is set to "unrestricted" (unless said rulers are eligible for communal administration under the "restricted" option)
  • Removed the "adopt communalism/feudalism" decisions due to the fact that they were totally redundant
  • Gave Tondrakian and Mazdaki vassals a 100% chance to convert to communal if their liege does
  • Communal baron vassals now only have access to open elective succession (preventing their liege from simply inheriting them)
  • Communal characters can now pass the title revocation law while at minimal crown authority
  • Fixed a bug where in the Qarmatian uprising events, the successful Qarmatian ruler would start with 0 peasant discontent
  • Giving out titles as a communal ruler to unlanded characters should now set the title's administration law to communal (note: after a 1 day delay)
  • When switching to feudal from communal government, baron-level vassals and vassals that follow you out of communalism should now have correct government types based on their capital holding
  • When switching to communal government, vassals that follow you into communalism should now start with 30 peasant discontent
  • When switching to communal government, the peasants cowed/peasants defiant modifiers should now be removed from any demesne provinces that have them
  • Reduced the revolt risk for the peasants defiant modifier from 80% to 50%
  • Communal characters should now dress a bit more modestly in their portraits
  • FIxed a bug where, upon adopting feudalism, a character's peasant discontent modifier wouldn't be removed
  • Fixed a series of bugs that occur when revoking titles from communal characters as a non-communal ruler (namely multiple province modifiers and multi-firing events)
v1.3
  • New gameplay mechanics for communal realms
  • New events for communal realms, almost entirely involving the new peasant discontent mechanics
  • Modified some existing events to take into account new communal mechanics
  • Tondrakians and Mazdakians can now become communal, and will try to do so 100% of the time
  • Communal characters can now hold city holdings without penalty
  • Communal characters can no longer hold secular feasts
  • AI Qarmatians are less likely to become communal if they don't have the heresiarch trait
  • When a communal character gives out a title, the recipient will stay communal (barring specific instances)
  • Communal realms now only get free revoke on vassal titles if said titles are feudal or theocratic
  • New job for stewards in communal realms: Organise Peasantry. Largely the same as Collect Taxes (which it replaces), but with a few differences
  • Switching to (and from) communal government is now done via Administration law change rather than decision (and resets Crown Authority to 0)
  • New decision for Qarmatian, Tondrakian, Mazdaki or peasant leader tribals to convert to communal, much like converting to feudal or republic
  • When an independent ruler converts to communal government all vassals count-level or higher get an event that allows them to follow suit or remain feudal
  • When a communal character reverts to feudalism, their vassals will get a similar event but in reverse
  • New (hopefully more visually interesting and distinct) icon for communal government
  • New localisation for communal government description
  • Removed to latent communal reduction of revolt risk due to a bug where it would be present multiple times at each level of vassal
  • Communal rulers of king-rank or above can no longer have coronations (but no longer get the uncrowned trait upon succession)
  • Communal characters can no longer give out estates, nor will courtiers ask for them
  • Slightly increased the "tax" penalty for communal realms
  • Made the communal government colour on the map slightly darker and redder
  • AI communal rulers much less likely to take the Shut the Gates decision
  • New Tondrakian event chain in Armenia: some time in the 10th century, the province of Taron, if Christian, will convert to Tondrakian, along with a modifier that reduces tax and increases revolt risk while the province is Tondrakian and ruled by a non-Tondrakian and/or non-communal character. There is a risk that the Tondrakian movement will then spread to neighbouring Christian provinces
  • Two new game rules: Communal Administration which determines whether the communal administration law is restricted or available for all rulers, and Communal Uprisings which turns on or off the above-mentioned Tondrakian events plus the Qarmatian uprising events added in v1.2
  • Tribal and republic governments (but not merchant republic) now accept communal lieges
  • Non-Bogomilist feudal governments now have free revoke on communal titles
  • Hugely increased the event troops for the Jannabids in the 950 start (to better reflect their power at the time, especially when compared to their situation in 1000)
  • Tondrakians now convert to their own unique religion in EUIV (although their EUIV icon is currently a placeholder)
  • New icon for converted Qarmatians in EUIV
  • Hussite and Qarmatian rebels in converted EUIV games now have their own flags (Tondrakians just use the Paulician flag)
  • If Berengar defeats Otto in the story events, the suspected usurper modifier is now removed
  • New story event for if Berengar or his heirs lose the throne of Italy after being defeated by Otto, wherein Otto can choose to move in and take the throne himself
  • Gave Mahmud Ghaznavid some event troops in 1000
  • During or after the Investiture Controversy, the Pope can now support a rival Emperor to the throne of the HRE. If this takes place during the IC and the Pope-chosen Emperor wins, the latter will now always submit to the former
  • An Imperial vassal chosen by the Pope as a rival Emperor can now reject the claim, allowing the Pope to choose somebody else
  • If the story event rule is on, the Italian Instability events will no longer "interrupt" them
  • Fixed a bug where the Otto/Adelaide marriage event wouldn't fire in the event of Otto not setting foot in Italy
  • Fixed a few anomalies in the history files
  • Fixed an issue where b_sanremo was in Nice's province history file, despite it not being in Nice in landed_titles.txt. Replaced it with Antibes
  • Fixed a couple of localisation issues involving missing desriptions in converted EUIV games
  • Fixed a potential bug where Otto and Adelaide would get their marriage-limiters put back on upon reloading a save
v1.2.01
  • Fixed a potential issue in CK2Plus_HRE_events involving a missing closing brace that could potentially mess up certain events
  • Fixed a typo in the scripted trigger for controlling all of Italy (if k_italy is titular) wherein d_ferrara was spelt wrong
  • Raising a vassal to Grand Duchy status can now only be done if said vassal has a realm size of 5 counties or more
v1.2
  • Minor tweaks to ensure fully compatiblity with CKII+ v4.06.2
  • New Qarmatian Uprising event, whereupon some time in the late 9th century, there is a chance for Qarmatian rebels to appear in a random duchy in Arabia, Mesopotamia or the Levant. If the Qarmatians win the subsequent war with the title holder, they gain the title and found a Communal realm. Chances of the event firing tends to favour the AI over the player
  • Added a couple of new event pictures that have been shamelessly stolen and cropped from the startup loading screens
  • Changed the pictures of a few events, and not just to the pictures mentioned above
  • The HRE Grand Duchy decisions now cannot be taken if the non-Grand Duchy kingdom versions exist (e.g. The Grand Duchy of Bavaria can't be formed if the Kingdom of Bavaria exists, the Grand Duchy of Lorraine can't be formed if the Kingdom of Lotharingia exists etc etc). In addition, the Grand Duchy titles now need to be active to be formed (which means Germany must have been split into stem duchies)
  • All instances of "Lorraine" are now renamed "Lothringen" if the relevant titles are held by somebody with German culture
  • When created, the Grand Duchies of Lorraine and Holland replace k_lotharingia and k_frisia respectively in regard to de-jure land
  • The Grand Duchies of Lorraine and Holland now become Lorraine (LOR) and Holland (HOL) respectively when imported into EUIV
  • k_frisia now properly converts to Holland (HOL) when imported into EUIV
  • If a non-German formed HRE later acquires the Kingdom of Germany, the latter title is split into stem duchies rather than remaining intact
  • New decision to restore the Kingdom of Germany: if the HRE collapses for whatever reason, a German-culture ruler with sufficiently large German realm can restore Germany as a de-jure title (all de-jure stem duchy land becomes de-jure k_germany)
  • Communal realms returned to standard succession behaviour due to excessive bugginess and instability
  • Decision to convert to united Italian culture can now be taken by the (Italian cultured) Emperor of an Italy-formed HRE
  • Conversely, the decision to convert to united German culture can now only be taken by a (German cultured) Emperor of a German-formed HRE
  • If the HRE is dissolved due to another realm restoring the Roman Empire, de-jure titles are immediately changed accordingly (de-jure land of k_grand_franconia becomes de-jure land of k_franconia etc etc)
  • If the HRE is initially formed by a member of the Carolingian dynasty, the "Carolingians control the HRE" event will no longer fire
  • Changed the icon for forming the HRE to the one in Vanilla
  • If the Kingdom of Italy is titular, all of the formerly de-jure Italy needs to be controlled instead in order to form the HRE
  • When re-founding the HRE following its collapse, the kingdoms needed to do so depend on the culture of the HRE when it was formed (if the HRE was French-formed, for example, you need either the Kingdom of France of the Kingdom of Burgundy to re-form it)
  • If the HRE collapses and was German-formed, any one of the former stem-duchy kingdoms can now re-form it
  • If a non-partitioned Carolingian Empire becomes the HRE and the Emperor owns the Kingdom of Germany, the latter is now split into stem duchies
  • If a non-partitioned Carolingian Empire becomes the HRE while having a non-elective succession type, the "erbreichsplan" event no longer fires
  • The "erbreichsplan" event now only requires a non-elective succession type, rather than having to be primo or ultimogeniture
  • Communal empires now have free-revoke on kingdom-level vassal titles
  • Barcelona and Poitou are now de-jure France in 888, rather than being weird Aquitaine holdouts
  • Fixed an issue in the story events where Berengar/his heir wouldn't invade the Papal State
v1.1
  • Added much more event pre-triggers so as to maybe add a bit more optimisation
  • Fixed more instances where a non-partitioned Carolingian Empire was not included in wider HRE mechanics
  • Fixed an issue in the Italian Instability events wherein a change in Italian king via succession wouldn't trigger the event for the Pope to choose whether to endorse them
  • Reduced the amount the Pope has to like you before you can get a claim to Italy in the Italian Instability events
  • Claims to Italy as part of the Italian Instability events are now only given to eligible rulers in the former Carolingian Empire
  • Major rewrites to the Investiture Controversy to better optimise them, because boy howdy was it obvious that they were written very early in this mod's development before I knew much about modding
  • Added a new Investiture Controversy event where an uncrowned Emperor who has won the controversy by vassalising the Pope then has a chance for a cut-price imperial coronation
  • After an Imperial victory in the Investiture Controversy due to vassalised Pope, reduced the chance of the next Pope restarting the controversy. HOWEVER, should the Emperor choose to go for the cheap coronation mentioned above, the likelihood of the Pope restarting it is much increased
  • Added a new titular Grand Duchy of Lorraine which can be formed via decision if the HRE has the kingdom lockout law (requires Emperor or vassal to own both d_upper_lorraine and d_lower_lorraine)
  • Added a new titular Grand Duchy of Holland which can be formed via decision if the HRE has the kingdom lockout law
  • Every Raise Duchy decision now has the subsequent kingdom-level title's CoA as the decision icon
  • Fixed a bug where Italian imperial vassals who only owned land in de-jure Corsica or Sardinia were unable to take the option to become Ghibelline
  • Added a new event whereupon a Guelph who is on good terms with the Emperor or a Ghibelline who is on bad terms can switch their allegiance
  • The Hussite religion is far more integrated into wider mechanics (such as events and decisions), including full secret society support
  • During the Hussite event chain, if a tolerant king of Bohemia gets the event whereupon they have the option to convert to Hussite, there is now an option to convert secretly
  • In the Treaty of Verdun events, the two or more king-vassals needed for the events to start now have to be of age, capable and not in prison
v.1.0
  • Minor tweaks to ensure full compatibility with CKII+ v4.06.1
  • Removed the renaming of Greater and Lesser Poland, both in events and history files, due to it being part of CKII+ proper as of 4.06.1
  • "is_pope_trigger" now uses d_pentarch_rome rather than k_papal_chalcedon to determine if a character is the Pope pre-schism
  • Changed event Plus.1152 from a character event to a narrative event
  • The Kingdom of Aquitaine is now a de-jure vassal of the Carolingian Empire in 867
  • The Carolingian Empire succession type changed to Gavelkind in 867
  • The Kingdom of France succession type changed to Elective Gavelkind in 987
  • If the Emperor wins the Investiture Controversy by vassalising the Papacy and the next Pope chooses to reignite it, the Papal State becomes independent (if it wasn't already)
  • The Investiture Controversy event wherein an Emperor is given the option to repent or stay the course now only fires if any vassal is in a pretender or separatist faction
  • France, Germany, Lotharingia, Burgundy, Italy and Aquitaine are now exempt from the Kingdom Lockout law for the Carolingian Empire
  • Fixed a few events, decisions etc. that involved the HRE but not a non-partitioned Carolingian Empire
  • Minor localisation changes
  • Added missing Anglo-Saxon characters
v.0.95
  • Fixed bug where story events would still fire if Berengar loses Italy
  • Added maintenance event that removes invisible cannot_marry traits from Otto and Adelaide if Berengar loses Italy before they're married
  • Removed Conrad of Arles' claim to Italy, firstly because, historically, his father gave up his own claim to Italy in 933, and therefore it didn't make too much sense for Conrad have one, and secondly because Conrad is a problem-boy who loves to break the story events by pushing his claim
  • Tweaked the event where Imperial vassals decide whether to support the Emperor or the Pope during the Investiture Controversy: now the event fires every time the Controversy fires up (even the first time), and vassals will be more/less likely to create and join pretender factions (depending on who they decided to support)
  • Fixed a bug where raising a duchy to kingdom-status via decision cost double the amount of gold required to take the decision in the first place
  • When a duchy is raised to kingdom-status via decision, the Emperor and every Imperial vassal will now receive an event (rather than just the vassal whose duchy is being raised)
  • Fixed a bug where the Emperor would never raise one of their own duchies to kingdom-status
  • If the Emperor wins the Investiture Controversy by vassalizing the Pope and the new Pope chooses to reignite the Controversy, there is now a delay before the event fires
  • If the Carolingian Empire becomes the HRE (i.e. an unpartitioned Empire becomes ruled by a non-Karling emperor), title history of e_karling is now copied to e_hre
  • New Guelph and Ghibelline traits for Italian Imperial vassals. Currently they only give opinion boosts and malluses, but there will almost certainly be unique events and mechanics in later versions
  • Nerfed the Iron Crown of the Lombards by halving its bonuses
  • Fixed some relatively minor issues with localisation and ai behaviours

List of known bugs and issues
  • Possible issues with the new Treaty of Verdun mechanics: currently the only known issue is that newly formed kingdoms as a result of elective gavelkind succession are automatically independent, but other bugs may arise
  • Possible issues with the new Guelph/Ghibelline mechanics involving opinion modifiers not being applied and/or being applied multiple times
  • For whatever reason, title localisations (e.g. "Sultanate of") are occasionally getting messed up due to the communal title localisations [POSSIBLY A VANILLA CKII+ PROBLEM?]
  • The new communal mechanics might possibly still be a bit buggy. Be aware of stuff like feudal characters suddenly switching to communal, communal characters suddenly switching to feudal, modifiers appearing where they're not supposed to and variables/flags not being imported between character properly
  • Possible balance issues with content converted to EUIV

Possible future plans/ideas
  • A mechanic where, as centralised power of the HRE declines over time, Imperial vassals become tributaries rather than direct vassals (similar, but not identical, to the new Treaty of Verdun mechanics added after CKII v2.8), making the HRE of the late game more like how it is in EUIV (de-facto independent rulers, nominally united under an Emperor-in-name-only who has the opportunity to potentially restore Imperial authority). Currently the only thing stopping this from being implemented is how to deal with Imperial succession in a way that isn't too unintuitive
  • Some manner of event chain involving the Avignon Papacy and the Western Schism, whereupon Catholic rulers can support rival Popes
  • A Comintern-esque society for independent communal rulers, with the aim of inciting peasants in other realms to rise against their feudal masters and spread communalism
  • Events involving the creation of the Old Swiss Confederacy: I'm thinking permanent non-aggression pacts and alliances with Imperial vassals in de-jure Switzerland/of Swiss culture, with the option of becoming a united realm should the members of the confederacy agree to it
  • Some manner of "Hoftag" mechanics, wherein the HREmperor can call meetings of vassals in order to get support/deal with internal problems/whatever
  • More EMF for Italy within the HRE, including the Lombard League (possibly a faction?)
  • Ability for the HREmperor to emphasise either the "Roman" or "German" aspects of the Empire, with bonuses and malluses to doing either
  • More EMF for vassals in the HRE
  • More EMF for a HRE that won the Investiture Controversy (other than the current staying-as-the-unfettered-big-grey-blob-of-vanilla)
  • More EMF for non-German formed HREs (right now the cultural composition of a newly-formed HRE is recorded (based on culture of vassals, provinces and the primary title of the founder), but this has little effect on gameplay)
  • Events for interacting with the Byzantines and the thorny issue of Translatio Imperii (maybe have similar events for the Latin Empire, if it exists?)
  • Split the "on" game rule for story events into "Historical" and "Random": currently, the AI is very railroaded, and so the "Random" option would let thing play out based on ruler personalities and circumstances rather than history
  • Also, in addition to the above, add more possible events for if the story goes off the rails

List of compatible mods and submods (IMPORTANT NOTE: needs updating)
IMPORTANT NOTE: While the mods in the following list are confirmed to be compatible, they will change the game's checksum. Use with caution!

Last edited:
:eek:

...two bookmarks. That means it took you about a year to do this? Amazing

EDIT: silly me, it says so in OP.

What do you mean by "EMF". That's a mod that's part of HIP.

:eek:

...two bookmarks. That means it took you about a year to do this? Amazing

EDIT: silly me, it says so in OP.

What do you mean by "EMF". That's a mod that's part of HIP.

It's an abbreviation of "Events, Mechanics and Flavour", but now that you mention it I can see how that could cause confusion...

Just... amazing.

Btw. you don't need to set capitals like that for hamburg. b_dithmarschen is capital by default since it's listed as the first holding.

Thanks for the kind words so far everyone :D

Anyway, as I was working on this, I figured that the 950 bookmark was probably going to be the thing that would get the most interest (it was the thing that involved the most work by a fairly substantial margin at least). And so in the spirit of promoting that, and maybe giving people some ideas for future campaigns, I present to you all

A whistle-stop tour of the new 950 bookmark

The 10th century was a time of great change, not just in Europe but throughout much of the world, both before and after the year 950. Events such as the formation of the Holy Roman Empire, the rise of Shia Islam, the collapse of the three-empire status quo in India, the conquests of the Seljuks, the formation and Christianisation of the Scandinavian kingdoms, the settlement of the Magyars in Carpathia and so on and so forth, the omission of the 10th century in CKII always struck me as weird. Below, I'll point out some of the more notable realms in 950...
uoo7RWc.jpg

The Former Carolingian Empire
41JglsA.png

After a long period of instability with a succession of meddling Popes, the Iron Crown of the Lombards has been obtained by Berengar II after the very unexpected and extremely convenient death of his predecessor Lothair II. Given that Lothair was little more than Berengar's puppet, there are whispers of murder and usurpation, and the new king of Italy's position isn't exactly secure...

A4e8fL3.png

After the death of Louis the Child in 911, the German dukes opted to elect their own, non-Carolingian king. The current king of is Otto, duke of Saxony, who, having successfully subjugated the duchy of Lotharingia (who would often switch allegiance between France and Germany) finds his power continuing to rise. Assuming he can keep the powerful dukes in line of course...

XpsDeei.png

West Francia, aka France, is the last holdout for the Carolingian monarchy. The French kings have largely been at the mercy of their vassals, and the current one, Louis IV, is no exception, with dukes such as Hugh the Great of Paris and the relatively new Duchy of Normandy on the northern seaboard being obstacles towards a revival of French monarchical power.

aGjyL25.png

Nestled between France, Germany and Italy is the Kingdom of Arles. Formed by the union of the Kingdoms of Upper Burgundy and Provence in 933 (said union being a result of the constant squabbling for the Italian crown), time will tell if Arles will retain its independence, or be torn apart by its neighbours.

54xAOia.png

The Duchy of Brittany retains the independence the peninsular won back in 851, though having lost some land to their new Norman neighbours, and with said independence under potential threat should France become something other than a gaggle of barely united feudal lords.

zCuoqfw.png

Formerly the Marca Hispanica, the weakness of the French crown has allowed the Duchy of Barcelona to gain de-facto independence. Whether they can uphold their independence against France or their Islamic neighbours to the south remains to be seen...

The British Isles
9nMHWwC.png

The lands of the Anglo-Saxons were united by Aethelstan in 927, and now, as of 946, the kingdom is ruled by his brother, Eadred. Meanwhile, some of the ealdormen who rule the land have grown quite powerful, and the question of whether the new king can maintain control is still up in the air.

K6EZXCC.png

While England was united in 927, this was more of an informal thing, and upon Aethelstan's death in 939, the Kingdom of Northumbria broke off and elected its own king. The current ruler is Olaf Cuarán, a veteran ruler of petty kingdoms who hopes to retain his crown in the face of potential English encroachment.

VovQ8hp.png

Almost all of Wales was briefly united under the rule of Hywel the Good in 942. Upon his death earlier in 950 his territories were divided between his sons. At least, that was the plan before Iago and Idwal, sons of Idwal Foel who ruled Gwynedd before Hywel deposed him, retook their father's old land.

LIJichx.png

Most of Scotland is owned, as you would expect, by the Kingdom of Scotland, currently ruled by Máel Coluim I and coming out of its tribal period. To the south-west is the old Kingdom of Strathclyde, which has managed to survive the best part of the Viking age, albeit with their independence now at risk from their larger Scottish neighbours. The west of Scotland is still ruled by the Kingdom of the Isles, which extends into the North Sea as a collection of islands that could potentially be hard to defend.

EaXkaj3.png

Most of Ireland is nominally united under the High King of Ireland from his seat of power at Meath, though the kingdoms of Ulster and Connacht have the potential to cause him trouble if they're unhappy at his rule. Munster and Leinster, for example, have refused to acknowledge the High King's authority, and are perfectly happy independent. Dublin, meanwhile, is its own independent kingdom, the last of the old Viking kingdoms of Ireland. It's ruled by Gofraid mac Sitruic, the brother of Olaf Cuarán of Northumbria, though who can say if the brothers will ally or be at each others' throats.

Southern Europe
p3UWG8q.png

In 929, Abd-ar-Rahman Umayyad III claimed the title of Caliph and established the Caliphate of Cordoba (though game mechanics fail to show this but whatever). While the new Caliphate has lost ground to the Christian armies of northern Iberia, it still remains a regional power, provided it can stay united.

VjmJ5zo.png

The Kingdom of Asturias became the Kingdom of León when the capital was moved in 910, but it's situation is hardly the best it could be. In 931, the County of Castille, a former border march, rebelled against its Leónese overlords, achieving a level of autonomy that amounts to de-facto independence. To the east, the Basque kingdom of Pamplona (or Navarre if you'd prefer) continues to survive at the base of the Pyrenees, having nothing to do with the squabbles in the west.

c8WCJcT.png

The Pope continues to rule the territories around Rome, with the Papacy having spent decades interjecting into Italian affairs. The south of the peninsular is a patchwork of Lombard duchies, Byzantine holdings, Islamic territories and the odd city state, all vying for influence.

ZqqKQYe.png

Venice, despite everything, manages to remain an independent merchant republic, largely isolated from the political upheavals going on elsewhere. With the Republic seemingly safe and stable, it's in a great position to expand its trade network beyond the Adriatic.

Northern Europe
UjgGjRu.png

Denmark was united as a single kingdom by Gorm the old in 936, who still sits on the throne, living up to his name. While the kingdom still follows the Old Ways and has plenty of opportunity for expansion, the threat of the increasingly powerful Christian kingdoms to the south means that the way of the Cross is looking increasingly tempting to the Danes...

cvB87nA.png

The Kingdom of Norway was united in 872. Its current king, Haakon the Good, is thought to have spent some time in the court of Aethelstan, whereupon he converted to Christianity. Having come to the throne in 934 after deposing his brother Eric Bloodaxe, he hopes to convert Norway to the ways of the Cross, though whether his vassals will accept it is another matter...

7RpeZKl.png

Unlike its neighbours, Sweden remains a collection of petty kingdoms. However, the Jarldom of Svithjod, ruled by Björn Eriksson, is in an excellent position to do so, assuming that Denmark and Norway don't swallow up the other jarls themselves.

yklCxhe.png

Finland is split up into tribal areas, largely isolated from the worries of the rest of the world. At least for the time being.

ZykFvBQ.png

Far to the north, Iceland is settled, but yet to be united under a single ruler, largely being divided between east and west.

Eastern Europe

qVGgRRD.png

Following the collapse of Great Moravia in the early 10th century, the most notable successor state was the Duchy of Bohemia, who secured their independence in the 870s by falling under the East Frankish sphere of influence. While Bohemia has relatively recently expanded the territory under their control, further expansion is limited due to being surrounded by increasingly strong neighbours on all sides, each of whom could cause problems later down the line.

4KV58Zu.png

Of the Polish tribes, the Polans, ruled by Duke Siemomysl Piast, are easily the most powerful, threatening the smaller Mazovian and Vistulan tribes with a united Polish realm under Polans suzerainity. If such a thing should happen, it is likely that the tribes in Pommerania and Pruthenia to the north would then be at risk, standing between the new kingdom and the sea.

cVEpnrg.png

The Baltic is made up of a cluster of pagan tribes, none of which in a particularly better position than the others for uniting all those of the Baltic faith into a single realm.

3Sp2eIO.png

Formed in 882, the Kievan Rus is close to reaching the peak of its power. Consisting of the Principality of Kiev, the Principality of Novgorod and all the Slavic tribal land conquered between them, the current ruler is the young Sviatoslav who, should he survive his childhood to rule his realm directly, has plenty of opportunities to expand it.

0zl2Mus.png

The Khazars are still around, but very much on a decline. While they have managed to bring Alania back under their control, the latter having been used as a proxy by their neighbours to weaken them, their days as the major regional power are most likely over.

CEs1lLF.png

With the weakness of the Khazars, Volga Bulgaria has broken free of their influence. An island of Islam in a sea of pagans, the Bulgars are in a good place to spread their own power.

Carpathia and the Balkans
AQCRMEY.png

The Carpathian basin has been settled by the Magyars, who have been launching raids into western Europe and generally causing trouble. With their more settled lifestyle, however, they are becoming increasingly susceptible to Christian missionaries. In the eastern part of the basin lie tribal areas currently out of Magyar control, namely Temes and Transylvania, both of whom hope that their more powerful neighbour will keep its attention westwards.

nMlO4Ng.png

Croatia managed to reach kingdom status in 925, and has recently had some successful expansion northwards. The downside, of course, is that they now share a border with the Magyars. Serbia, meanwhile, has managed to unite under the rule of Caslav, and should he keep his realm together, is in a great position to become a kingdom itself.

jI2e6Mk.png

North of the Danube and east of Carpathia, the Pecheneg tribes have settled where the Magyar left. Given that they have historically been used by more settled realms as allies against external enemies, it's likely that the Pechenegs may be able to increase their influence further.

Greece, Anatolia and the Caucasus

ABAV9kS.png

The First Bulgarian Empire (though a kingdom in-game) is another realm that has seen better days. Previously the bane of the Byzantines, the Bulgarians are in the middle of a decline, being surrounded by several powerful and aggressive neighbours. There is still time to reverse its fortunes, but unless something changes, Bulgaria seems to be on the way out.

nPzTiFJ.png

The Byzantine Empire is flourishing both culturally and militarily under the Macedonian dynasty, and is reaching the peak of its post-Islam strength, eyeing the Emirate of Crete and the Muslim-owned northern Cyprus while expanding their influence eastwards.

4TmxGvL.png

In the Caucasus, the Kingdom of Armenia has broken free of Islamic control, but while some smaller emirates to the east offer possibilities for expansion, the west is largely blocked off by a resurgent Byzantine Empire. To the north, Georgia is split into two kingdoms, south and north (aka Abkhazia). Whether the two can be reunited, through inheritance like real life or through military conquest, is still up in the air. In the middle of it all is the Kaysite Emirate. Having recently been united under a single rule, it doesn't look likely to last with its powerful Christian neighbours breathing down its neck.
CONTINUED BELOW

Continued from above Lousy image limits...

The Middle East and Iran

d5xpYuV.png

Syria is ruled by the Shia Hamdanids, with twin emirates centred on Aleppo and Mosul owned by two different dynasty members. While they are fairly powerful in their own right, the Hamdanid Emirs will have to put aside their differences and work together if they hope to survive against increasingly powerful neighbours.

6jSI8xO.png

The Shia Buyid dynasty, ruled by the young 'Adud al-Dawla, owns Persia and Mesopotamia, including the Abbasid Caliph, whose power barely reaches beyond Baghdad. The Buyid Empire mainly consists of three emirates, and while 'Adud rules in Shiraz, Ray and Baghdad are owned by other members of the dynasty, who may well seek to undermine their young overlord...

V95cXM2.png

In Arabia, the collapse of Abbasid authority has allowed many areas to assert their independence, including the Ibadi Azdids in Oman. The most notable regional power, however, is the Qarmatian Republic, effectively ruled by the Jannabid dynasty, centred around Bahrain. Having set up a communal republic in 899, the Qarmatians have been terrorising the rest of the Islamic world, including their raid of Mecca in 930, wherein they slaughtered many pilgrims and stole the Black Stone from the Kaaba.

ReIkyAZ.png

Far to the east, the Samanids have supplanted the Saffarids as the largest and most powerful regional power. The Saffarids themselves, however, have managed to regain power in Sistan after a period under Samanid control. If the Samanids should be weakened, either by rebellious vassals or from external threats, the Saffarids may even be able to claw back some of their former glory. A bit further east, the Soomra dynasty rules over the Indus Valley, an Islamic presence on the borders of India.

Africa
3u0bzvO.png

The wealth of Egypt is owned by the Ikhshidid dynasty, de-jure Abbasid governers, but given the Caliph's weakened position, they are de-facto independent, spreading their rule into the levant and Hejaz. The current Ikhshidid ruler is Abu'l-Qasim, though he is a fairly weak ruler, dominated by court intrigue. To the south, several Nubian kingdoms vie for dominance amongst themselves.

F28cb10.png

Formally established in 909, the Shia Fatimid Caliphate dominates northern Africa, including having absorbed the Emirate of Sicily into their realm. While Ikhshidid Egypt will be a tough nut to crack, the wealth and prestige of doing so is more than a little tempting for the Shia Caliph...

v8mrGeQ.png

The Idrisid dynasty is still hanging on in Morocco, despite having spent some time under direct Fatimid rule. Their position is hardly strong, however: the Fatimids have occupied Fez, forcing the Idrisids to move to the more tribal areas to the west. Even if they do manage to resist further Fatimid encroachment, the Ummayads to the north are also a potential problem.

YtUcgm4.png

In West Africa, Ghana remains the main regional power, surrounded by smaller tribal states. While currently the old pagan ways rule supreme, there's no telling how long this will remain with the spread of Islam from the north.

XU2T5zS.png

In eastern Africa, the Kingdom of Abyssinia is supreme, with the Shirazids being a tasty target and a potential spring-board into Arabia.

India
92h1dcX.png

In the early 10th century, the power of the Pratiharas declined due to feuding for the throne, and sure enough a large number of vassals took advantage of this to break free from their empire. While the Pratiharas themselves still rule a diminished kingdom, the rest of the region is a patchwork of small states, which means that western India is now vulnerable to encroachment from the east...

oWCknvN.png

In south India, the formerly powerful Rashtrakutras have seen something of a decline, made worse by the rise in power of their neighbours, the Chola.

XU7dQC4.png

To the east, the Pala dynasty is also having difficulty, suffering something of a slow decline after their peak in the 9th century. However, there is still a chance of revival for the last major Buddhist dynasty in India.

The Steppe
zkhpWn3.png

In Khwarizmia, the region around the Aral sea is occupied by the Turkish Oghuz Yabgu state, while to the north, the Cumanian confederacy stretches to the west.

JMRYo1Z.png

In Mongolia the main regional powers are the Buddhist Qocho Kingdom and the nomadic Kirghiz realm. The Karakhanids are also perched on the edge, seeking to expand their holdings.

AWESOME!
I always wanted to play as one of the Otto's, since indeed it was rather an important part of history in that region, and it always bugged me the bookmarks missed that time.
And now the sheer scope of this... wow, just wow.

With all the stuff that is currently going on, I think we are having a "Golden Age" of submods for CKPlus :)

Started a quick test run, and it looks good so far. I'm especially impressed that the bookmarks have changes even in areas like India, which the other events don't even touch... Well done!

However, I have had a small issue with the story events:
20170514125513_1.jpg
I was playing Otto and got the event, but maybe because Berengar had already been subjugated by someone else, the event did nothing. Probably needs some safety-checks somewhere...

When do you think when the bug fixes will be completed? I really want to play that 888 bookmark.
Hard to say, as right now we need to actually find any bugs that need fixing. There doesn't seem to be anything game-breaking for what it's worth, so I think it's safe to say that this mod is in a playable state if you wanted to jump in: really, it's more a case of "there might be bugs/issues" than "there will be bugs/issues".

However, if you don't want to risk it and just want to play the new bookmarks, there's a file at the bottom of the OP that has them and nothing else (rt bookmarks.zip for reference).

Either way, thanks for your interest!

Well I played for a while, and can confirm that this mod is working fine.
I didn't encounter any real issues, apart from the one I mentioned above - but that one didn't "break" stuff. The problem was merely that it did nothing, which likely isn't WAD but does not impede normal gameplay in any way.

Hi everyone, hope you're enjoying playing Rex Teuronicorum. There's still enough that I feel needs testing that I'm not quite comfortable pulling it out of beta yet, but it's definitely getting there.

Anyway, on that note I've released the next version (v.0.9.5), in which I've fixed a few bugs, tweaked a couple of things and even added the foundations of a brand new mechanic. The new version can be downloaded in the OP, or via the link below:
Here is the changelog for your reading pleasure:
  • Fixed a bug where story events would still fire if Berengar loses Italy
  • Added a maintenance event that removes the invisible cannot_marry traits from Otto and Adelaide if Berengar loses Italy before they're married
  • Removed Conrad of Arles' claim to Italy, firstly because, historically, his father gave up his own claim to Italy in 933, and therefore it didn't make too much sense for Conrad have one, and secondly because Conrad is a problem-boy who loves to break the story events by pushing his claim
  • Tweaked the event where Imperial vassals decide whether to support the Emperor or the Pope during the Investiture Controversy: now the event fires every time the Controversy fires up (even the first time), and vassals will be more/less likely to create and join pretender factions (depending on who they decided to support)
  • Fixed a bug where raising a duchy to kingdom-status via decision cost double the amount of gold required to take the decision in the first place
  • When a duchy is raised to kingdom-status via decision, the Emperor and every Imperial vassal will now receive an event (rather than just the vassal whose duchy is being raised)
  • Fixed a bug where the Emperor would never raise one of their own duchies to kingdom-status
  • If the Emperor wins the Investiture Controversy by vassalizing the Pope and the new Pope chooses to reignite the Controversy, there is now a delay before the relevant event fires
  • If the Carolingian Empire becomes the HRE (i.e. an unpartitioned Empire becomes ruled by a non-Karling emperor), title history of e_karling is now copied to e_hre
  • New Guelph and Ghibelline traits for Italian Imperial vassals. Currently they only give opinion boosts and malluses, but there will almost certainly be unique events and mechanics in later versions
  • Nerfed the Iron Crown of the Lombards by halving its bonuses
  • Fixed some relatively minor issues with localisation and ai behaviours

Remember, if you think you've found a bug, a problem with balance or some other issue that you don't think is WAD, post them in this thread. I try to keep the "Known bugs and issues" tab in the second post updated, and will mark if they've been fixed for the next release. Similarly, if you have any ideas or thoughts on how to improve this mod, please don't hesitate to share them.

In other news, from what I can tell, @LordPeter's submods "CuthroatTradeDevelopment" and "Interface Redone Lusciously" both seem to be compatible with Rex Teutonicorum. However, playing with additional mods will change the checksum and cause the "Incorrect Checksum" event to fire, so just bear that in mind. Once again, the "Compatible mods and submods" tab in the second post will be kept updated, so if you find one that you think works fine, let me know and I'll stick it in there.

Thanks again for the positive reception this mod has had so far :)

Last edited: