• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Arcvalons

Field Marshal
76 Badges
Feb 21, 2010
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Knight (pre-order)
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Crusader Kings III
  • 500k Club
Update: As of WTWSMS 0.9.7, the features of this sub-mode have been integrated into the main mod.

This is a small Sub-Mod that adds a little more flavor to Roman characters and realms. Included are a lot of honorary titles for characters of Roman culture, and some more for holders of the western Roman Empire. There are also several localisation "improvements", and the potato-face roman portraits (romangfx) have been replaced with byzantine portraits (byzantinegfx). I was going to add Imperial Reconquest CB and Imnperial Government Type too, but then I found out the devs are already doing that in the future.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/zegtcerxc3gam7q/WTWSMS_ImperialLegacy_v1dot2.rar

Minor titles available to all Romans, with in-game descriptions. Note that the holders of these titles must be unlanded, as they are supposed to be bureucrats:
  • Subadiuvae -Subadiuvae was a title denoting lesser court adjutants or assistants.
  • Aduitor - Adiutor was a title denoting a senior court adjutant or assistant. (Must be one of the Subadiuvae)
  • Commentariensis - The Commentariensis was the keeper of the Commentary, or the official diary.
  • Ab Actis - The Ab actis, literally "Acts Keeper", was the court archivist.
  • Cura Epistolarum - The Cura Epistolarum was the curator of correspondence in the late Roman Empire.

Minor titles available only to the Roman Emperor in the west, with in-game descriptions. Note that other than Caesar, Proconsul, and the Comes Sacrarum Largitionum, all holders must be unlanded, as these are supposed to be bureucrats:
  • Caesar - Caesar was a title usually bestowed upon a designated heir and then retained upon ascension. (Does not actually designate a heir, looking into how to do that).
  • Proconsul - Proconsul was a title bestowed upon provincial governors such as Vicars and Praetorian Prefects. (Can only be granted to King-level vassals).
  • Comes Dispositonum - The major departments of the Emperor's court and household had a chief that was styled "Comes", with an officium (staff) quite similar to that of a governor. The Comes Dispositonum was responsible for organizing the imperial calendar and preparing the correspondence for distribution to the proper offices for transcription.
  • Comes Domesticorum - The major departments of the Emperor's court and household had a chief that was styled "Comes", with an officium (staff) quite similar to that of a governor. The Comes Domesticorum was the head of the Domestici, a company of bodyguards stationed in the imperial palace with the task of protecting the emperor.
  • Comes Rerum Privatarum - The major departments of the Emperor's court and household had a chief that was styled "Comes", with an officium (staff) quite similar to that of a governor. The Comes Rerum Privatarum was responsible for the private estates or holdings of the emperor and his family.
  • Comes Sacrarum Largitionum - The major departments of the Emperor's court and household had a chief that was styled "Comes", with an officium (staff) quite similar to that of a governor. The Comes Sacrarum Largitionum operated most of the imperial finances. He controlled all of the mints, was also responsible for the yields of the mines, provided budgets for the civil service, and collected customs duties and land taxes. His competence also included several minor Comites. (Can only be granted to the Steward/Quaestor)
  • Comes Sacrae Vestis - The major departments of the Emperor's court and household had a chief that was styled "Comes", with an officium (staff) quite similar to that of a governor. The Comes Sacrae Vestis was the master of the wardrobe of the emperor.
These are most of the changes done to localisation, and reflect the late Roman Empire's administrative structure as it was in the 420s. Note that there is no difference in localisation between Ducal and Royal Viceroyalties, and actual Duchies and Kingdoms.

Titles:
(updated!)
  • A Roman Baron is called a Senator, and rules over a Castra.
  • A Roman Count is called a Prefect, and he rules over a Prefecture.
  • A Roman Duke is called a Governor, and rules over a Province.
  • A Roman King is called a Vicar and rules over a Diocese.
  • A Roman Emperor is called Imperator Caesar, and his wife is called Augusta.
  • Roman Emperors get the nickname "Augustus".
Landed Titles:
  • The Eastern Roman Empire has been renamed back to Byzantine Empire. It's shorter, and it's capital is Byzantium.
  • The Western Roman Empire has been renamed to Roman Empire. It's capital is in... Ravenna, actually. but it controls Rome, so...
Council:
  • The Chancellor has been renamed to Magister Officorum
  • The Steward has been renamed to Quaestor.
  • The Marshall has been renamed to Magister Militum.
  • The Spymaster has been renamed to Frumentarius.
  • The Court Chaplain has been renamed to Censor. (This one is actually not working for some reason, hmm)
And as I said, the potato-faces have no power here, and thus they have been banished to the darkness beyond time. As you can see here, Julius Nepos looks way sexier now:

uIGasjj.png

That's all.

Last edited:
Reactions:
Interesting! If you accept it, I think we might integrate most titles to the base mod. I don't remember if the base mod changes the names as much as this or adds any minor titles for the Roman culture, but it looks good! I think the landed_titles changes are not going to be in the main mod (or at least, I personally dislike that change and it is a bit of a personal preference). Also, the portraits are going to be added in a module eventually.

For the Government type, it was discussed here: https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/migrational-period-governements.878214/ I believe we plan on adding a Bureaucratic governement, but if you are interested in coding it now, we could integrate it to the base mod. Same for the reconquest and CB changes, as they are not currently being done (although will be soon), if you are interested in contributing with the development of that feature as it was discussed here: https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/foru...tion-federation-reconquest-discussion.848590/ you are of course allowed to do it!

Nice work with this sub-mod though!

Last edited:
Reactions:
I would love if this was integrated in the mod, I totally accept. In the base mod there was actually a conflict between some VIET localisations and some SWMH localisations (the same entries in both files, the game grabbed some from one and some from the other), and some odd choices, which is what pushed me to include the localisations in this sub-mod. Fair enough for the changes to landed_titles localisation, that was a choice based on personal preference for me. I'll go ahead and begin with the bureucratic government type and the CBs then, just have to check those threads to make sure everything is good, and then you guys can see if you want to integrate it.

• A Roman Count is called a Governor, and he rules over a Province.
  • A Roman Duke is called a Vicar, and rules over a Diocese.
  • A Roman King is called a Praetorian Prefect, and rules over a Praetorian Prefecture.
Roman provinces were much bigger than mere counties and dioceses were the same size as kingdoms or empires.

Roman_Empire_with_dioceses_in_300_AD.png

Reactions:
I would love if this was integrated in the mod, I totally accept. In the base mod there was actually a conflict between some VIET localisations and some SWMH localisations (the same entries in both files, the game grabbed some from one and some from the other), and some odd choices, which is what pushed me to include the localisations in this sub-mod. Fair enough for the changes to landed_titles localisation, that was a choice based on personal preference for me. I'll go ahead and begin with the bureucratic government type and the CBs then, just have to check those threads to make sure everything is good, and then you guys can see if you want to integrate it.

Make sure that you check the thread dedicated to the CBs, namely this one:
https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/foru...tion-federation-reconquest-discussion.848590/

I suggest, that counties should be called municipium (not the best choice, but in the late roman empire municipium was a common name for a low level administrative district), duchies provinces, kingdoms dioceses and praetorian prefect would be an honorary title.

I would love if this was integrated in the mod, I totally accept. In the base mod there was actually a conflict between some VIET localisations and some SWMH localisations (the same entries in both files, the game grabbed some from one and some from the other), and some odd choices, which is what pushed me to include the localisations in this sub-mod. Fair enough for the changes to landed_titles localisation, that was a choice based on personal preference for me.
Great! Yes, that SWMH localisation being included is somewhat of a mistake. I think it is due to one integrated mod having a compatibility patch for that mod, which then made it's way into this mod. Anyway, even if I don't think it is their actual files, I will make sure it is removed for the next version and include most of your work.

I'll go ahead and begin with the bureucratic government type and the CBs then, just have to check those threads to make sure everything is good, and then you guys can see if you want to integrate it.
OK, feel free to comment on it or ask for any details. Thank you for the aid!

These are most of the changes done to localisation, and reflect the late Roman Empire's administrative structure as it was in the 420s. Note that there is no difference in localisation between Ducal and Royal Viceroyalties, and actual Duchies and Kingdoms.

Titles:
  • A Roman Baron is called a Eques, and rules over a Castrum.
  • A Roman Count is called a Governor, and he rules over a Province.
  • A Roman Duke is called a Vicar, and rules over a Diocese.
  • A Roman King is called a Praetorian Prefect, and rules over a Praetorian Prefecture.
  • A Roman Emperor is called Imperator Augustus, and his wife is called an Augusta.
The ranks should be moved up one title - Barons should rule over Castra, Counts should rule over Civitates, Dukes should rule over Provinces, and Kings should rule over Dioceses. IIRC many of the kingdoms are actually based off of the Dioceses.

Reactions:
About the Governments in the Sub-Mod
Reading the government threads, having a separate but similar bureaucratic/imperial government for Byzatium, Persia, and Rome seems to be the most sensible option, that way scopes can be applied to each one as necessary. Everything else that remains "Feudal" would eventually be changed to "Post-Roman" or "Sub-Roman".

The vanilla Centralization and Viceroyalty Laws would seem to work just fine for these government types, though I'm also making a change to Imperial Administration, which will give more demesne size rather than even more vassals (as that seems to undermine the purpose of the Centralization laws in the first place). For the tax laws, since these characters will be able to hold both castles and cities without penalties, a new "Aristocracy vs Plutocracy" demesne law will determine whether vassals will provide you with levies or tax; you can't expect them to both provide you taxes as a city vassal would and levies as a feudal vassal would, at the same time. I'm looking into increasing retinue size and lowering costs for it, though the mod's Legion system I expect will model standing armies fair enough.

Finally, I was thinking of coding a Stability system that would replace Crown Authority, things like losing battles and having low prestige would lower it, while winning battles and having high prestige/piety/gold can increase it. Low stability leads to bad things happening, like ambitious generals doing evil stuff to you. That's still very much in the "cool idea" phase though.

Reactions:
I was thinking of coding a Stability system that would replace Crown Authority, things like losing battles and having low prestige would lower it, while winning battles and having high prestige/piety/gold can increase it. Low stability leads to bad things happening, like ambitious generals doing evil stuff to you. That's still very much in the "cool idea" phase though.

I never understood why this wasn't already a thing in the game. Devastating defeats often lead to generals rebelling elsewhere in the empire and phenomenal victories would cow them for months.

Also is it possible for you to make cities the primary holding, turn castles into castra which inside the empire only have small amounts of auxiliary troops while on the Syrian and Danubian frontiers have the majority of the empire's troops. There could be field army (comitatenses) castra at certain strong points within the empire like Antioch, Alexandria and Thrace while the emperor's demesne gets a large personal army (the Scholae Palatinae). In this way frontier duchies like Moesia Secunda would be extremely dangerous for the emperor in factions and could proclaim their own emperor. It might be a good way to simulate the late Roman usurpation system, though it obviously sounds like a fair amount of work (new titles near the frontier, building modding, new events etc.)

Yes, cities can be made the primary holdings, though the one downside to making cities be primary or secondary holdings is that city-holders will get this new custom government when t instead of the republican government form. It's like how in vanilla, since all muslims get Iqta, any muslim temple holders will be Iqta rather than Theocratic. Similarly, here since all vassals to the Roman Emperors would get Imperial/Bureaucratic, any vassal city-holders will be Imperial/Bureaucratic rather than Republic. I'm trying to find a way around this for the sake of the Roman Republic/Senate in the earlier(st?) start dates.

However, I've done some improvements in other areas. Here's a small update/preview:
  • All western Roman Emperors will be called Imperator Caesar now, and I have an event that will give them the Augustus nickname. Unfortunately, CK2 will not model the complex Roman naming conventions (which are, to be fair, rather ambiguous in the late imperial era). However, with this system, you get some of the flavor; for example, Julius Nepos as the WRE will appear as "Imperator Caesar Julius Augustus", which is pretty fancy. And yes, I'm aware that not all emperors were titled Caesar, Julius Nepos was himself Imperator Flavius Julius Augustus .
  • Following feedback on this thread, I changed some of the title ranking localisation. Kingdom-tier titles are now Dioceses ruled by a Vicar, Duchy-tier titles are now Provinces ruled by a Governor. I'm having trouble with counts and below since the Province was the lowest formal administrative unit, apparently. However, for now I've left the County-tier titles as Prefectures ruled by a Prefect, and Barony-tier titles as Castra ruled by Senators (which despite systematically losing much of their formal power, many were still rich landowners with connections in the provinces).
  • I've rearranged the geographical regions (map/geographical_regions.txt) from the mod ones, which were just the vanilla ones adapted, to better represent the regions around this era, and provide a less fickle and more permanent reference for other feautures (like the Imperial Reconquest CBs which I'll be working on now). I figure since this is the Migration Period, there would be a lot of de-iure drift going on and more rapidly than vanilla, so using de-jure titles as reference seem like a bad idea in many cases. This is the code for the geographical regions that are part of the Roman Empire (plus Scotland, Ireland, and Germany) :
Code:
diocese_caledonia = {
    duchies = {
     d_the_isles
    d_galloway
    d_western_isles
    d_lothian
    d_albany
    d_moray
    }
}

diocese_britannia = {
    duchies = {
    d_northumberland
    d_lancaster
    d_york
    d_norfolk
    d_bedford
    d_hereford
    d_gloucester
    d_canterbury
    d_somerset
    d_gwynedd
    d_deheubarth
    d_cornwall
    }
}

diocese_hibernia = {
    duchies = {
    d_ulster
    d_connacht
    d_meath
    d_leinster
    d_munster   
    }
}

diocese_hispaniae = {
    duchies = {
    d_tingitana
    d_emerita
    d_scalabitanus
    d_pacensis
    d_hispalensis
    d_lucensis
    d_asturicensis
    d_vasconia
    d_catalonia
    d_mallorca
    d_citerior
    d_bracarensis
    d_tarraconensis
    d_cantabria
    d_carthago_superior
    d_carthago_inferior
    d_gaditanus
    }
}

diocese_sevenprovinces = {
    duchies = {
    d_novempopulana
    d_toulouse
    d_aquitanica
    d_narbonensis
    d_limonum
    d_alpes
    }
}

diocese_gallia = {
    duchies = {
        d_noviodunum
        d_celtica
        d_gallia
        d_lugdunum
        d_durocotorum
        d_brittany
        d_camaracum
        d_germania_inferior
        d_germania_superior
        d_verodunum
    }
}

diocese_germania_magna = {
    duchies = {
        d_upper_saxony
        d_lower_saxony
        d_frisia
        d_ripuria
        d_vindelicia_prima
        d_vindelicia_secunda
        d_danube
        d_elbe
        d_thuringia
        d_maxima_sequanorum
    }
}

diocese_germania = {
    duchies = {
        d_germania_slavica
        d_poloniae
        d_danzig
        d_vistula
        d_angloland
        d_werle
    }
}

praetorian_prefecture_galliarum = {
    regions = {
        diocese_britannia
        diocese_hispaniae
        diocese_sevenprovinces
        diocese_gallia
        diocese_germania_magna
    }
}

diocese_italia_annonaria = {
    duchies = {
        d_bodensee
        d_euregius
        d_noricum
        d_liguria
        d_histria    }
}

diocese_italia_suburbicaria = {
    duchies = {
        d_latium
        d_flaminia
        d_umbria
        d_sardinia
        d_campania
        d_sicily
        d_picenum_suburbicarium
        d_samnium
        d_lucania
        d_apulia
    }
}

diocese_africa = {
    duchies = {
    d_caesariensis
    d_sitifensis
    d_numidia
    d_carthago
    d_tripolitania
    d_leptis_magna
    }
}

praetorian_prefecture_italiae = {
    regions = {
        diocese_italia_annonaria
        diocese_italia_suburbicaria
        diocese_africa
    }
}

diocese_pannoniae = {
    duchies = {
        d_pannonia_superior
        d_pannonia_inferior
        d_salona d_andatuonia
    }
}

diocese_moesiae = {
    duchies = {
        d_moesia_superior
        d_epidaurum
        d_epirus
        d_macedonia_salutaris
        d_thessalonika
        d_athens
        d_achaia
        d_krete
        d_nisia
    }
}

diocese_dacia = {
    duchies = {
        d_moesia_secunda
        d_scythia_minor
        d_dolor
        d_sarmizegetusa_regia
        d_rosia
        d_nitra
        d_napoca
        d_isbran
        d_apullum
    }
}

praetorian_prefecture_illyrici = {
    regions = {
        diocese_pannoniae
        diocese_moesiae
        diocese_dacia
    }
}

diocese_thrace = {
    duchies = {
        d_haemimontus
        d_rhodope
        d_europa
    }
}

diocese_asiana = {
    duchies = {
        d_hellespontus
        d_lycia
        d_lydia
        d_pisidia
        d_phrygia
    }
}

diocese_pontica = {
    duchies = {
        d_bithynia
        d_paphlagonia
        d_galatia
        d_cappadocia
        d_pontus_polemoniacus
    }
}

diocese_oriens = {
    duchies = {
        d_isauria
        d_cilicia
        d_osrhoene
        d_syria
        d_syria_salutaris
        d_phoenice
        d_libanensis
        d_arabia
        d_judea
        d_palestinia_salutaris
    }
}

diocese_aegyptus = {
    duchies = {
    d_cyrenaica
    d_amda
    d_libya
    d_arcadia
    d_alexandria
    d_arcadia
    d_thebais
    d_augustamnica
    }
}

diocese_armenia = {
    duchies = {
        d_coloneia
        d_armenia
        d_mesopotamia
    }
}

diocese_mesopotamia = {
    duchies = {
        d_arabia_magna
        d_adiabene
        d_beth_garmai
        d_asoristan
        d_atropatene
    }
}

praetorian_prefecture_orientis = {
    regions = {
        diocese_thrace
        diocese_asiana
        diocese_pontica
        diocese_oriens
        diocese_aegyptus
        diocese_mesopotamia
        diocese_armenia
    }
}

pars_occidentalis = {
    regions = {
        praetorian_prefecture_galliarum
        praetorian_prefecture_italiae
    }
}

pars_orientalis = {
    regions = {
    praetorian_prefecture_orientis
    praetorian_prefecture_illyrici
    }
}

imperium_romanum = {
    regions = {
    pars_occidentalis
    pars_orientalis
    }
}

Last edited:
Yes, cities can be made the primary holdings, though the one downside to making cities be primary or secondary holdings is that city-holders will get this new custom government when t instead of the republican government form. It's like how in vanilla, since all muslims get Iqta, any muslim temple holders will be Iqta rather than Theocratic. Similarly, here since all vassals to the Roman Emperors would get Imperial/Bureaucratic, any vassal city-holders will be Imperial/Bureaucratic rather than Republic. I'm trying to find a way around this for the sake of the Roman Republic/Senate in the earlier(st?) start dates.
Can't you just define specific realms to not be be bureaucratic?
  • I've rearranged the geographical regions (map/geographical_regions.txt) from the mod ones, which were just the vanilla ones adapted, to better represent the regions around this era, and provide a less fickle and more permanent reference for other feautures (like the Imperial Reconquest CBs which I'll be working on now). I figure since this is the Migration Period, there would be a lot of de-iure drift going on and more rapidly than vanilla, so using de-jure titles as reference seem like a bad idea in many cases. This is the code for the geographical regions that are part of the Roman Empire (plus Scotland, Ireland, and Germany) :
This has kind of been done in the dev version (using regions, not changing them). Dejure drift is going to be changed altogether in the main mod later.

I would replace Senator with Decurion personally, unofficially it'd be the leading figure on the town's consillium, who would often be a senator (but not exclusively, especially in certain areas). And i'm not sure Vicar or Vicarius is the best term to use since I think they were primarily civilian governors of small areas in the Diocletianic reforms. Kingdom tier might still be best served with Praetorian Prefectures honestly. Also i'd think about using Duces and Comes for something (maybe Commander ranks or castle holders if cities become primary holdings)

This is some pretty good stuff! We should also look at making events to simulate pretenders and generals rising against the Empire. I know Crisis of the Confederation handles independent generals pretty well.

Reactions:
Can't you just define specific realms to not be be bureaucratic?

Even further beyond that, you can make characters essentially any government using conditions, so regular republics can be rigged while allowing "feudal" rulers to hold cities by using something like "higher_tier_than = BARON" or whatever the desired situation would be.

Reactions:
http://www.mediafire.com/download/zegtcerxc3gam7q/WTWSMS_ImperialLegacy_v1dot2.rar

Here's an updated version of Imperial Legacy for WTWSMS. New feature includes "Roman" government for both the ERE and WRE, new laws for this kind of government, and a Kingdom-targerting Roman Reconquest CB for both the ERE and WRE as well as independent Kings and Emperors of Roman culture. While right now there is a Stability feature, it's still WIP, and there aren't any events in this version to actually lower it below "Normal". The remaining Roman government laws might be a tad unbalanced, not sure, as I've only tested it for a bit.

Some screenshots, just note that I'm using the Cartographic Map mod separately ( and is not obviously NOT included here):

7jXmmTm.png

s53j9ej.png

0ObKpwN.png

SSZzjfB.png

3DFw2XS.png

mR7cVI4.png

Last edited:
Reactions:
http://www.mediafire.com/download/308b959pkq3wpw3/WTWSMS_ImperialLegacy_v1dot1.rar

Here's an updated version of Imperial Legacy for WTWSMS. New feature includes "Roman" government for both the ERE and WRE, new laws for this kind of government, and a Kingdom-targerting Roman Reconquest CB for both the ERE and WRE as well as independent Kings and Emperors of Roman culture. While right now there is a Stability feature, it's still WIP, and there aren't any events in this version to actually lower it below "Normal". The remaining Roman government laws might be a tad unbalanced, not sure, as I've only tested it for a bit.

Some screenshots, just note that I'm using the Cartographic Map mod separately ( and is not obviously NOT included here):

7jXmmTm.png

s53j9ej.png

0ObKpwN.png

SSZzjfB.png

3DFw2XS.png

mR7cVI4.png

Looks just fantastic. Have you made the Glorious Imperial Reconquest CB yet?

Looks just fantastic. Have you made the Glorious Imperial Reconquest CB yet?

Not yet, just the normal Imperial Reconquest CB, though it currently does include areas like Germania, Dacia, and Mesopotamia.

Does the roman government type require the Charlemagne dlc to work? For the viceroyaltys and such
The government itself doesn't require any DLC, but the actual Bureaucratic Administration law does since it includes the Viceroyalties. Hmm, I'll have to figure something out for people without Charlemagne.

Edit: Done already, new DL link with two versions of the Bureucratic Administration law.

Last edited:
Reactions: