Stories, Match Videos and Results from Valhalla's Tournament of Champions

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Prussian Havoc

PDXCON 2019 ~ MechWarrior of the Year
58 Badges
May 12, 2017
forum.paradoxplaza.com
  • BATTLETECH - Initiate of the Order
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • BATTLETECH - Beta Backer
  • BATTLETECH - Digital Deluxe Edition
  • BATTLETECH
  • BATTLETECH: Season pass
  • BATTLETECH: Flashpoint
  • BATTLETECH: Heavy Metal
  • BATTLETECH - Backer
  • Shadowrun Returns
  • Shadowrun: Hong Kong
  • Shadowrun: Dragonfall
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Colonel
  • Tyranny: Gold Edition
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Surviving Mars: First Colony Edition
  • Surviving Mars: First Colony Edition
  • Surviving Mars: Digital Deluxe Edition
  • Stellaris
  • Stellaris: Nemesis
  • Stellaris: Necroids
  • Stellaris: Federations
  • Stellaris: Lithoids
  • Victoria 3 Sign Up
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall Premium edition
  • Empire of Sin - Premium Edition
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall Deluxe edition
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall Season pass
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Crusader Kings III: Royal Edition
  • Victoria 2
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Tyranny - Bastards Wound
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Surviving Mars
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall - Revelations
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
Welcome to the Glory and Spectacle that is Solaris VII BATTLETECH Combat!

BATTLETECH-16.jpg

Multiplayer Competitive Gaming is in BattleTech's Bones!

DNA-DEEP!

Sitting across the table from my friends and family back during Christmas late-1985 enjoying FASA's latest game BattleTech, we all FELT it. Enjoyed it. Reveled in it.

Again, but this time with Mitch, Mike and Team HBS, Jordan returns us lock, stock and smoking double PPC barrels to the Multiplayer Competitive Experience that is BATTLETECH. : )

While we already have a thread for Tournament Administration, with this thread I invite everyone to offer up their Tournament Videos, Stories and thoughts about the latest developments in Bracket pairings, Favorites and Dark Horses.

But most of all, I hope you take this opportunity to celebrate both your Tournament Opponent-of-the-Moment as well as all the fine, fine work done by Team HBS to bring us this far into a new chapter, a new offering from the BattleTech franchise.

@Jaz_Solace sparked the idea for this thread and for that I thank him. :bow:

I look forward to watching your videos, reading your stories and following your accounts of all the Big and Stompy tournament action.

And as ever, good luck and good gaming!

Spitting out blood into the front of the cockpit, Apex drew a haggard shallow breath. All her companion's battlemechs lie smoldering in heaps on the battlefield, but they had taken three of the enemy with them. Looming inches away in front of her was what was left of a shattered Jaggermech. The mech looked like it should have fallen to the wayside long ago with no weaponry left, a thin piece of structure holding up the tattered cockpit, and only one leg with any armor on it. Apex could practically see the beleaguered pilot through what was left of their mech, brutally battered and within an inch of their life. Yet her blackjack probably looked just as bad, if not worse, with no weapons or even shoulders left on her mech her last option was to try to kick for that tattered center torso to bring the heavy mech down.
With her last ounce of strength and concentration, she rocked her mech backwards and brought her mech's right leg back, the actuators creaking and groaning with every inch. "For my fallen comrades!!!" Apex screamed as she slammed the throttle bringing her blackjack's leg forward. A tremendous roar rang throughout the battlefield as the leg contacted the much larger mech and metal was torn asunder, but the strike was too low! Every bit of armor was hewn off the Jagger's left leg, but the little bit of structure left, stood there defiantly mocking her. Apex could only try to reach for the ejection lever before the other mech could stop teetering and return a blow. Frantically she shot her arm down the left side of her command chair but the head of that Jaggermech was moving toward her with all the speed it could muster, plus the help of that much maligned force... gravity.
Their side had lost the battle but hopefully there will be another chance in the war!

Great game DangerBox! I cannot believe how it ended! I wish you well and hope to get another shot.

Last edited:
Hahaha, it's been interesting to read the same story from the both sides, TitaniumBurn and TheDangerBox :D Looking forward for more (and my turn next round...), Keep them coming!

First Match! - ObLoM and I had a hard fought battle. Early on things seemed pretty even then the RNG took a turn against ObLoM. Mid-Match he lost one of his Ubries to a Double Alpha from both of my Cent 9As. The First one was a Precision strike that had almost everything hit CT, followed by the AC 10 of my second Cent hitting CT. That was the turning point of the match.

ObLoM Thank you for the Match it was a good fight. Hope to play you again some time.

The Audio seems to be messed up on the video below and my Mic was muted. So there is no Commentary, that's because I don't do this kind of stuff. I'm a youtube Newbie.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCpYqtt6Z2ThvBOKjtvioOKg

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/266319099 my round 2 ;). Can we pin this plz? or maybe @Prussian Havoc links it on Post 1 in the vallhalla threat?
Great ideas, Good Sir!

I edited the original post from the Tournament thread last night:
F64F1BE0-D2F0-40EF-B63E-277EBAA538FB.png
And added a more noticeable announcement of this newest tournament thread here.

And thank you for posting your video links! :bow:

As the tournament continues and the brackets fill out, I’ll post snapshots of the results here as well. : )

I'm not much of a storyteller, but I thoroughly enjoyed my match with @Mechwarrior Horus

We ended up doing two matches, as the initial match was interrupted a couple rounds in when Comstar decided to disconnect us. Fortunately the score was matched at this point, with both of us having lost one side torso (technically he destroyed a side torso on my light while I destroyed a side torso on his medium, but still very close), so we just started over again. The real match was just as balanced in the first half, trading limbs and 'Mechs back and forth. I ultimately had 3 'Mechs left at the end, but all were out of ammo and only one had all limbs. They averaged only a couple energy weapons apiece to finish the battle with. The factor that most influenced the result, we both agreed, was heat; his twin Kintaros had to hold their fire most of the battle for fear of burning out, and there were no breaks in the action for them to fall back and cool off. Anyhow, GG @Mechwarrior Horus

Floyd I would say the rng wasn't too brutal on either of us. My biggest mistake was not just goin straight melee. But it was a very fun match.

Evilsmirk and I just finished up I think the RNG fell in my favor on this one. No head shot decaps or anything like that but an ac10 taking out an entire half of a mech in one shot seems pretty fortuitous. Still GG @Evilsmirk if it hadn't been for the mud it would have gone much worse for me.

In my latest match against Minmaximus (@Aleksandria I believe), we both used very large caliber weapons: between the two of us 4 PPCs, 3 AC20s, and an AC10. We both agreed that RNG played a significant role in this match, in part because of those large caliber weapons which made it so that every miss was a substantial damage loss, and the location of each hit made a huge difference. Especially in the last half, where at a critical time my shots landed right where I wanted them while my opponent suffered a few misses in a row which contributed to my keeping 3 ‘Mechs standing with their primary weapons intact all the way to the end (albeit having no small amount of structure damage, such as my vindicator with 1 remaining structure in its head after an AC10 hit).

The typical Arclight pilot + Light ‘Mech combo played an important role in this battle, first because i opted not to use this combo in this match in favor of stacking 4 medium ‘Mechs (2 vindicators, 2 hunchback 4Gs) so I effectively yielded control of who went first to my opponent. In the early game this turn order control, combined with some poor positioning on my part, allowed my opponent to do more damage to me than I to them. This early damage imbalance in my opponent’s favor was further amplified when I waited too long one round and lost a turn on a hunchback on the frontlines. At least the lost turn let it remain guarded, but it had bulwark so it would have been able to fire and also be guarded if i hadn’t failed to act within the 90 second timer. However, my fortunes changed when Minmaximus made a tactical error with Arclight, moving them to the front lines for me to fire on relatively early in the match; Arclight did withdraw, only to charge back in the next round (as a commando, they needed to be close to use their weapons) allowing me to execute them. This was a key turning point, with my turn order disadvantage being removed and numbers now on my side. The tide of the battle distinctly shifted at this point. Although my opponent rightly noted that Arclight died quickly from RNG favoring my shots, their second approach to the front lines was early in the round so even if my first shots didn’t kill them I had more shots lined up to finish them that round, so i think the tactical error of putting the light on the front lines early and repeatedly played a larger role there than RNG alone.

At this point i tried to pull my hunchbacks behind cover, leveraging the sensor lock on one of them to focus on long range PPC and LRM5 sniping with my vindicators now that my opponent had lost their only sensor lock pilot. I also tried to use the terrain to my advantage, forcing my opponent to pass through rough terrain or waste time walking around while suffering sniper fire, but they expertly timed their movement to prevent me from exploiting the rough terrain stability penalty. I then lost a Vindicator to my wrongly assuming i had fallen back far enough to fire my PPC with impunity. My opponent quickly took advantage of this, focusing their fire and promptly killing the exposed target. However this also pushed me to 100 fury, allowing a called shot that cleanly disarmed their hunchback. I then turned my attention to their K2, positioning my attackers in its side arc to first critically hit then subsequently destroy one arm’s PPC (I mentioned RNG favoring me in the last half didn’t I? But I can take some credit for using the side arc to increase the odds of hitting the arm) From this point on the battle was very one sided; even if I didn't have more tonnage and more weapons intact, my opponent suffered badly from RNG causing multiple misses in a row so they couldn’t even the score with a lucky shot on any of my weakened points. The outcome became clear, it was just a matter of time until i claimed the win and advanced to the “sweet sixteen” in the no loss bracket.

Last edited:
A quick shout out to Revan. I went down, but that was a good fight. Laughed my butt off at the end - I had the zombie Vindicator that just would not die. No matter what he hit it with it just kept going, I think 5 hit locations were stripped of armor without anything getting blown off. And then...I fried it myself with heat damage, cored out my own CT. Totally worth it though :D

A great fight indeed. And nothing can kill that zombicator of yours...only itself xD it took me a couple of seconds to understand what happened.

Hope to battle against you again some other day, good sir =D

His blackjack survived with 1 HP on CT and proceeded to avoid damage the rest of the game, my jaegermech got headshot 3 times in a row and died with full structure and half armor, that is all....

P.S. The first headshot was a locust MELEE when the locust was on low ground, lil guy does not even come up to my waist, but he musta jump kicked me.

P.S. The first headshot was a locust MELEE when the locust was on low ground, lil guy does not even come up to my waist, but he musta jump kicked me.
Karate Locust, the most dangerous 'Mech around...