Stories, Match Videos and Results from Valhalla's Tournament of Champions

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Something else occurred to me from this match....

How did you know so much about Zak's lance before the battle? Like you knew exactly what he was, I guess from his notoriety, but he could have been something very different. Point is, you didn't properly scout your opponent's composition. You built a lance knowing exactly what you were going to face, and you ran immediately to what appears to be a pre-picked position that you knew would be un-assailable because your back was to the edge of the map.

Like... how do you explain that? You are concerned about trying to protect your back as best as possible, I understand that. But you didn't even scout him in the match. :p

Something else occurred to me from this match....

How did you know so much about Zak's lance before the battle? Like you knew exactly what he was, I guess from his notoriety, but he could have been something very different. Point is, you didn't properly scout your opponent's composition. You built a lance knowing exactly what you were going to face, and you ran immediately to what appears to be a pre-picked position that you knew would be un-assailable because your back was to the edge of the map.

Like... how do you explain that? You are concerned about trying to protect your back as best as possible, I understand that. But you didn't even scout him in the match. :p

I can answer that for him(not that he cannot speak for himself...).

Zak, as you probably know it, is very active on discord and also like to stream his matches which makes him more easily predictable. At least when it comes to his favorite lance.

I also happen to be sparing and discussing tactics with both of them on a somewhat regular basis. I don't recall telling honor that Zak would be using red dawn, as a matter of fact, I had built a new lance for Zak for that match because I believed Red dawn to be less effective since the patch, but since he couldn't get the "hang of it" (his words), he still went with Red Dawn, something I couldn't have known.

Basically, between me playing with both of them and having both of them active on discord, there's isn't much mystery left when it comes to those two.

Red Dawn is by far his(zak) best lance so it's a logical assumption to believe he'd(honor) be fighting it.

EDIT: Don't forget we're seeing the action from Zak's point of view only. Also, honor seems to like to play like that, getting Intel than going back, forcing you to come at him. From watching it, I don't see anything out of the ordinary for both of them, I mean, in what I'm used seeing when playing them.

Last edited:
How did you know so much about Zak's lance before the battle? Like you knew exactly what he was, I guess from his notoriety, but he could have been something very different.
I mean, this was a hint: https://battletech.gamepedia.com/Multiplayer_Meta_Lance_Builds
K2RcSfu.png

You built a lance knowing exactly what you were going to face
For the record, I built that lance specifically expecting him not to play Red Dawn, because he was very publicly talking about Red Dawn struggling under the new heat numbers. A lance that has to sit around flat footed and relies on bulwark is an absolutely terrible match for Red Dawn.

Hmm I see. I had no idea something like that even existed. I guess that makes a lot of sense, but it still bothers me that you assumed what he was from that, but you never actually verified it with in game scouting. You just ran for your spot, and then was confirmed he was what you thought after the fact. I'm wondering why my name is showing up there... :p

It even has the Romans up there. Interesting. And the new LLAS post patch is so cool running, huge boon for Cent AL and ENF users for sure.

For the record, I built that lance specifically expecting him not to play Red Dawn, because he was very publicly talking about Red Dawn struggling under the new heat numbers. A lance that has to sit around flat footed and relies on bulwark is an absolutely terrible match for Red Dawn.

To be fair I did say that.

I spent all week trying to put together something that worked with my play style and didn’t rely on 8 large lasers.

I couldn’t figure out anything and with 30 minutes to go I figured I’d just play the lance I’ve spent so much time practicing with.

I mean, this was a hint: https://battletech.gamepedia.com/Multiplayer_Meta_Lance_Builds
K2RcSfu.png

Yeah, he wasn't supposed to either. I was very surprised when I saw his message today that he had decided to go with it after all.

As for the article, Interesting, I've been using that wiki since day one but I never saw that page before. I'll be keeping an eye on it from now on.

I don't know if I should be insulted(because it's not there) or honored(because I've been doing pretty well with a "unknown" lance) that my lance isn't in there, seeing how well I have been doing with it so far, well, prior to the 1.1 patch that is... RIP:(

I'm surprised you guys didn't know about this, I only casually skim the "meta lance builds" channel on discord, and even I know that this stuff gets talked about all the time. You can open it up right now and skim up half a page to see a post by Zak pointing people towards that meta lance page and talking about how he recently added some more lances to it. He makes no secret of what lances he uses. I mean the love/hate/love waffling on Red Dawn after 1.1 kind of threw me off my design game, but it seems like a sincere changing of his plans, not an effort at obfuscation.

Heck, after my last practice match with @Morfanos, @Zakhodit asked what lance I used to beat him and I gave Morf the okay to share that info with him (it was The Romans, very similar to what I actually ended up using against Zak), after all if Zak's going to publicly share the lances he's trying out, it was only fair that I let him have a peek back the other direction.

Last edited:
Yeah, my "K.O." lance isn't working anymore with the stability increase and that defeat was all the proof I needed...

Honestly, I believe it's quite nice to have a community like this that would rather discuss and share strategies rather than trying to keep it for themselves. Now I'm looking forward to testing the 3 lances suggestion I made to Zak for tournament match against you.

You'll be seeing one of them in our next match for sure ;).

I watched the replay this morning nice to see such fair play even late in the tournament. Also I believe @HonorKnight talked himself a bit into defeat and could have played the final engagment better. Jumping the Panther away was a crucial mistake. It could have blocked one of the spots on the Mountain and not to forget Panther dfas hurt and Jenners don't like taking dmg.

Jumping the Panther away was a crucial mistake. It could have blocked one of the spots on the Mountain and not to forget Panther dfas hurt and Jenners don't like taking dmg.
I agree. Leveraging the Panther as you describe would have been more advantageous, and tactics like focusing down the jenners while ignoring the wolverines until the end might have further improved my odds, though they would have remained quite low with that backstabbing lance against my lance that badly lacked mobility or the burst damage to halt their approach. I’m pretty sure defeat would have remained the far likelier outcome, but I might have raised my odds from 1% to 2%, as it were.

Last edited:
After my stinging defeat against @Zakhodit, I had quite a wait for my next match. Even when my opponent was finally determined, it took several days to find a time we were both available, due to being 8 hours off of each others' schedules. Comstar then refused to let us play in the narrow window of available time on the day we chose, so we had to wait a few more days for the next time we'd both be available.

At last, I faced @Tegatana. Right away my opponent had an initiative advantage, forcing me to move first each round, which gave @Tegatana a lot of extra damage early on. I made matters worse with a foolish move on a Firestarter that put them in range of most of the enemy lance and no Guard, costing them an arm and a lot of other spread-out damage, on just the second or third round of engagement! As I spent multiple rounds having that Firestarter retreat with jump + Guard movement, things looked quite bleak for me at this point.

Next, I tried to outmaneuver my opponent to force them to divide their damage, while otherwise just watching for a weakness to turn around what looked like a losing match for me. Finally, I saw my window of opportunity: @Tegatana had moved a Hunchback 4G into a spot where my whole lance could shoot it (similar to the mistake I made previously on my Firestarter), leaving it with only a few pips of evasion for defense. The timing of this move couldn't have been worse for the poor Hunchback, as that was the very round I reached maximum fury. I unloaded on the Hunchback with a fury called-shot, and subsequently took it from practically full armor to destroying the ammo for its main weapon before it could move again to defend itself. I now felt I was back in contention!

My opponent then tried to focus fire on my own Hunchback to even the score (including the use of their own fury called shot), but this effort exposed @Tegatana's Firestarter and allowed me first a back-stab DFA with my own crippled Firestarter, followed by a second backstab Firestarter punch, and finally a killing blow dealt by a heavier 'Mech, while about that same time I finished off his Hunchback as well. At this point all four of my 'Mechs had sustained moderate damage due to my successful effort to divide incoming damage. I say successful, but that "moderate damage" done to me included taking both arms off a Firestarter, and largely disarming a Hunchback. Meanwhile, I had focused down two of my opponent's 'Mechs, leaving the remaining two in near-pristine condition. From this point, @Tegatana began swinging to the opposite flank, getting as much distance from my disarmed Hunchback and reduced-Jump-Jet Firestarter as possible, since they were no longer able to keep up. I made a concerted effort to keep all my 'Mechs at either maximum evasion or guarded status in hopes of maintaining my numbers advantage, as we proceeded to the endgame...

@Tegatana managed for a few rounds to stay out of range of half of my lance, then killed my crippled Firestarter when it caught up. My Hunchback caught up with a series of sprints, and its punching + small laser continued to have a substantial impact, as @Tegatana's 'Mechs were too hot to jump out of its range, so the crippled Hunchback was able to walk up and punch from its choice of flanks. I systematically targeted the sides of the enemy 'Mechs with the most energy weapons, reducing how much my opponent could bring to bear as they were quickly running out of ammo. For a while we battled with ever-fewer weapons in a small forest near the edge of the map, then the grand finale took place with virtually all of the 'Mechs crippled to the point that punching was their best option for dealing damage, so we took turns exchanging mostly melee attacks using a patch of rough terrain for melee defense. I ultimately triumphed, finishing the match with a glorious decapitating head punch!

Last edited: