• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Stellaris Dev Diary #77 - Ethics Voice Packs

Hello everyone and welcome to another Stellaris development diary. This week’s diary I’m taking charge and going to write about Voice Over’s for the (unannounced) Story Pack coming alongside the 1.8 ‘Čapek’ update! We still can’t tell you any further details about the name or release date of the Story Pack, but stay tuned for future dev diaries!

For the upcoming Story Pack we felt that we wanted to experiment with VIR, our friendly advisor, see how it would feel to have different set of VO cues depending on your Empire’s ethic. A VO Cue is a term that we use to describe a Voice Over line that triggers at a certain point in the game as for example “Hostile Fleet Detected” or “Research Complete”.

We started with a test case in-house to try it out and we concluded that it was a great experience! From then on we moved on with the process and allocated time to write unique script for each role, character description, casting, auditions and finally recording sessions. It has been personally a long and hard process but in the end I’m really pleased to finally show of 3 samples out of 10 Voice Packs!

There will be a automatic settings for the VO Packs in the game so that the VO will switch depending on what Ethic you start with in the game and also switches while you're playing if you decided with switch Ethic's in your campaign. If you're not into that you will be able to select with set of VO Cues you want to play and you will always be able to switch back to the original VO if you desire.

Now that you have heard some of the results you might ask yourself how the whole procedure works with recording VO? So I’ll describe to a certain detail how the whole process goes by. :)

First of you need to write a script and if you have talented Content Designers. and we do have in our team, there is no problem to get good a script. Once the script is complete and approved it gets handed to me and I take it to the next step: Casting!

Casting of it’s own is also a long process which takes time. With help of a Casting Director you can get in touch with several possible Voice Actors that can help you to deliver the best result out of each script. When you have picked out potential actors that you think will suit for the role, you bring them in for a audition. In an audition you let the actor read a certain part of the script which usually depict the character the most and also give the best material for the Voice Actor so that they can perform as good as possible. After all the auditions are done you pick the actor that suited the best for the role. Sometimes during auditions actors comes for a certain role to read but during the session you realize that the actor would be more fitted for another role and that happened to our Militarist! We brought her in to do a audition for another role first but while she was reading the part for the first role I heard that she might be better suited as a angry general, so I asked her to try out for the Militarist and it was a really good fit! So good that we ended up with her as the Militarist.

With all the casting/auditions done you move on to the actual recording session, get as much possible material from your actors. It is important that you’re there to act as a “director” for the actors so that you can give the instructions and guidelines so that they can give you all the right emotions and takes that you require for your character in the game.

As soon as the recordings were done I moved on to editing. There is a lot of editing when it comes to VO since it is not only about how the recording equipment sound but also the sheer amount of assets you need to go through..

VY1grVq.png

While editing you usually “zoom in” really close in the waveforms of the recordings to mess around/cutting noise such as clicks and pops. So yes, we Sound Designers tend to get really nerdy when it comes to VO editing:

aHHJbEZ.png

After you have done all the editing which is removing “clicks” and “pops”, ugly breath takes, add fade in/out, you move into adding “effects” to the VO so we can get that cool Robotic style. For each VO I gave them something else than just using the same settings as for “Default VIR”.

So in short terms that is how you record VO!

That's all for today! Next week we'll be talking about robots and robotic modification.

While the context of this statement makes it kind of rude and uncalled for, as most of the comments seem constructive and the female voice seems like a non-issue, he does have a point about the general state of the internet. Don't know how relevant that is given the importance of the context here, but hey.

Again, it has nothing to do with it being female or male. Why do you keep driving that point?

Because it does, in fact, have a lot to do with that.

To be clear, what I am saying is not that the Militarist VO is perfect and beyond all critique, what I am saying is that we had a script for the Militarist VO that called for a more 'crazy' approach, and we picked the actor (after auditioning both male and female voices) that did the role best, knowing that picking a male voice would have been a safer bet no matter the quality of the actor. So it's a bit amusing, like I said, to see the backlash and the absence of self-distance and self-reflection coming with it, because we *knew* this would happen and chose to pay that price. :)

I'm not fussed about whenever it's female or male, it's more that it feels like overacting than anything else. It's pretty bad from the clip, especially when you compare it to the Zuul from SOTS and the Zuul seem toned down. Even then if you want a female militarist, you need only look at Vice admiral Janeway for a good base to work from.

Last edited:

No, it really doesn't.

The voice actor did a really good job at being a blood knight, the problem is that the vast majority of the militarist societies are not blood knights.

The way you are trying to bring whether a person is male or female into this is disturbing, it is not nor has it ever been about that here.

No, again, it doesn't. The people complaining about the "militarist" voice are complaining that it does not sound like a professional soldier. Now, you want to go a different direction than that, fine (although I would then argue that you should drop the Shakespearean reference; that voice acting would actually make a good devouring swarm one without). What is not fine is you crying 'Misogyny!' and letting loose the yip-dogs of self righteousness.

8/10, almost perfect, but not enough cake.
"We seem to be suffering another food shortage. Rest assured, all those complaining about said food shortage have been given delicious cake. Hmhmhm."

No, it really doesn't.

The voice actor did a really good job at being a blood knight, the problem is that the vast majority of the militarist societies are not blood knights.

The way you are trying to bring whether a person is male or female into this is disturbing, it is not nor has it ever been about that here.

No, we all know what's basically being said here, is that we're angry over the VO because we've been conditioned as males to dislike agressive female voices by our patriachal society and thus must not be able to handle strong, independent women. This is standard feminist doctrine, which is immensely popular in Sweden...

Nonsense.
I have checked the entire topic again. And there has been only 1 reaction to it being a female voice.
here it is:

Sooooo Star Trek ripoff. Nothing original. A woman voiceover for militarist? Well we never saw that one.... Multiple sounds saying "we are one"? Seriously, at least a bit of originality...
And it's a bs troll reaction.

So where do you get the idea that it has everything to do with gender?
Why did you say "so it's interesting to see just how much of the criticism has focused on that" when there has been only 1 reaction like that?

Nobody cares about it being female. There have even been suggestions and examples of well done female voice acting that fits the militaristic tone more. (Santiago, you own superb Utopia Trailer)

What is there to gain for you with all this virtue signaling?

"We seem to be suffering another food shortage. Rest assured, all those complaining about said food shortage have been given delicious cake. Hmhmhm."

And/or

"To all <INSERT SPECIES NAME> test subjects, please attend the closest Purge Center. There will be cake."

Christ, I go play Stellaris for 5 hours and when I come back, the thread has devolved into an argument over why people hate the militarist voice. Just use Sidney from the Utopia trailer. Ding, badabing, problem solved. Don't turn the thread into a Tumblr storm.

This is very disappointing. Are you even reading and comprehending the comments. She did a wonderful blood knight, which would be good for fanatical purifiers and/or a warrior culture, but it doesn't suit a disciplined military culture. It has nothing to do with her being a woman. Get off your high horse and shift your mentality from needless feminism to a legitimate discussion about what are appropriate attitudes of different militaristic/warlike societies.

No, we all know what's basically being said here, is that we're angry over the VO because we've been conditioned as males to dislike agressive female voices by our patriachal society and thus must not be able to handle strong, independent women. This is standard feminist doctrine, which is immensly popular in Sweden...

*Sigh* It's sad to see that people can't stand in a middle, always in the extremes. I'm becomming very tired with all those "sexist" "racist" correctly political things... Times ago there was a strong patriarcal doctrine all over the society. Now it's turning to the other extreme... When people are going to understand that they are things that are true or wrong beside the fact that the other person is a women, black or asian... There are things that they are true despite all things. Men are generally stronger than women, women have better immunitary system, they are parts of the brain that are more developped for each one of the two sexes etc... They are things that you can't refute coz they are just science facts. Here people aren't complaining about the voice being a female voice but because of the agressivity of the voice that will, suit better to a blood thirsty horde like fanatical purificators than an organized warlike culture like empire of men or united empire. NOT BECAUSE IT'S A FEMALE! We don't fucking care!

Given the existence of subconscious/unconscious sexism (and other isms) and the unpopularity of being openly misogynist - even among other misogynists at times (very useful to hide when trying to claim moral high-ground, after all) - it wouldn't surprise me that sexism is behind some of the complaints without being outright stated, and Wiz's statements strike me as not so much wrong as undiplomatic, if anything.

Basically, saying there is 0% sexism at work overall in the criticisms seems likely to be wrong to me. By the same token, saying every criticism is rooted in sexism is just as unlikely. These things tend to be easy to obscure on an individual, case-by-case basic and almost impossible to prove, but overall trends can be pretty indicative. I'm sure many people would have the same complaints for a male voice. I'd also be surprised if the overall number of complaints wasn't lower in that case, though. Too bad this isn't a controlled environment designed to study this.

The militarist's line in particular I'm not really fond of, which is on the writer and not the VA, but the voice style/tone is interesting and hopefully indicates there will be a wide variety to the voices overall. Having a voice for the Klingon / bloodthirsty warrior / fanatic / etc. type civilizations is better than not, certainly? I'm sure there's other voices that will suffice for the disciplined, cold-calculating formation march types.

About two weeks ago I said that Wiz was the best thing to happen to Stellaris since Stellaris. After reading his comments about how "this is all because they hate women", I'm disappointing the game I've most played on PC ever is being handled by a student of the Swedish School of Feminist Frequency.

No, it does not. No one complained about the male/female aspect of it. No one at all. We all complained about the cartoon villain/completely unmilitary aspect of it, as in "the voice sounds demented, hysterical and maniacal". I even referenced Hitler in the bunker, and unless you are privy to some blockbuster gender revelation, he was not a girl. The fact that you are attempting to malign the other side in this debate by pretending that they are driven by misogyny is an ad hominem argument and as such, an officially recognized logical fallacy.

There has. Besides that though, we had a discussion while recording on how aggressive female voices will be called crazy or overacting because that literally always happens, regardless of context, so it's interesting to see just how much of the criticism has focused on that, with zero self-reflection on how a male voice with similar tone and style would get a pass. It's amusingly predictable, as is the offended self-righteousness upon pointing it out.

Always happens with aggressive females? I don't think so, and I never tought of this until now.

I will give one exemple of Aggressive Female Voice that is very praised in the Dota community:

http://dota2.gamepedia.com/Legion_Commander/Responses

One example:

https://hydra-media.cursecdn.com/dota2.gamepedia.com/f/f0/Legcom_levelup_07.mp3

https://hydra-media.cursecdn.com/dota2.gamepedia.com/4/48/Legcom_respawn_14.mp3

You can go and listen to other responses.

She's a militaristic leader of a legion of warriors. The aggressive and xenophobe type. She is perfect for this setting. Look how xenophobe she is:

https://hydra-media.cursecdn.com/dota2.gamepedia.com/d/d0/Legcom_rival_26.mp3

She have a never trust line for multiple races. She's very liked in the Dota community and she had a male -> female transformation from dota 1 to dota 2, try to imagine how much pre-conceived ideias the quality had to overcome (and it did)

Give credit to your fanbase, try to show more lines or redo this one. We just want quality.

The militarist voice is fine for a given definition of (fanatic) militarist. The problem is that the ethics are pretty vague and militarist can mean anything from crazy barbarians to highly disciplined modern army.

I'm personally fine with it since the other option is making the voice so generic that it's meaningless and you can switch freely between the other options if you hate it.

e; I also expect people getting really mad over the spiritual voice no matter what they do with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.