• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

SignedName

Field Marshal
48 Badges
May 29, 2013
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Semper Fi
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Hearts of Iron III Collection
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • For the Motherland
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Shadowrun Returns
  • Victoria 3 Sign Up
  • Shadowrun: Dragonfall
  • Shadowrun: Hong Kong
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • Europa Universalis 4: Emperor
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Stellaris
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Mount & Blade: Warband
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Victoria 2
  • Europa Universalis IV
Not an exhaustive list by any measure, but at least some dynamic names for the provinces directly bordering Korea (mostly just switching Chinese names to the Korean pronunciation). If I get anything wrong, feel free to correct me, and also feel free to add more dynamic province names as well. The ones with (?) are those that I'm not entirely certain about.

Gaizhou -> Gaeju
Ningyuan -> Yongwon
Shenyang -> Seonyang
Huncun -> Dongyang (?)
Girin -> Girim
Ningguta -> Nyongan
Ilan Hala -> Samseong (?)
Alchuka -> Hoeryeong (?)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
You have to decided whether you want to keep historical <ny> cluster or drop it in favour of modern pronounciation, where the <n> is dropped. Also which romanization scheme you prefer. For RR it should be:

Ningyuan (宁远) -> Nyeongwon (Yeongwon)
Shenyang (沈阳) -> Simyang
Huncun (Hunchun 珲春) -> Donggyeong (东京), meaning Eastern Capital. It's a historical name of Balhae era, but I'm not sure whether you would want it.
Girin (Jilin 吉林) -> Gillim
Ilan Hala (Sanxing 三性) -> Samseong - is fine
Alchuka (Huining 会宁) -> Hoeryeong - fine if you want to go with Jin-era name

Not sure which province you mean by Ninggan. Is it a new province?

Last edited:
Whoops, sorry. Meant to put Ningguta. Edited.
Ah, in this case Nyeongan is good. Note that in current vanilla setup provinces in north use McCune-Reuschauer romanization, but those in the south use Revised Romanization. On the other hand, following Koramei's suggestion, all province names will be unified to Revized Romanization.

More propositions:

Jianzhou (建州) -> Geonju
Hetu Ala (赫图阿拉) -> Onyeosan (五女山)
Yehe (葉赫) -> Buyeo (扶余)
Boduna (伯都纳) -> Samchaha (三岔河) - name of the guard instituated here by Ming; alternatively Baekdonap (伯都纳); alternatively Goseong (古城), a fortress from Goguryeo times.
Furdan (Shuangchengzi 双城子) -> Hwaju (华州) - Balhae era city; Solbin (率宾) - Balhae era prefecture name.
Iman (伊曼) -> Could stay as Iman
Yaran -> Either Jeongni (定理), Jeongju (定州), Anbyeon (安边) or Anju (安州). First and third are Prefecture names, second and fourth are city names of Balhae.
Pijin -> Anwon (安源) - prefecture name, or Nyeongju (宁州) city name.

An alternative for Huncun: Ryeongwon - a name of not city, but the prefecture.

Last edited:
I definitely agree with adding more Dynamic Province Names wherever possible, I think they add quite a bit of welcome detail. Thanks for putting some work into this!

Huncun (Hunchun 珲春) -> Donggyeong (东京), meaning Eastern Capital. It's a historical name of Balhae era, but I'm not sure whether you would want it.

I don't think Donggyeoung is an appropriate name for Hunchun. It's too ambiguous and could lead to confusion.

1. Nowadays when people say Donggyeoung, most of the Korean people get it as "Yeah, that's how oldies say Tokyo."

2. In Goryeo era, Donggyeoung(東京) was an another name for Gyeongju.

3. There are so many 東京 in Chinese history including Luòyáng(洛陽).

However if you use 'Donggyeoung Yongwonbu(東京龍原府)' it will only refer to Balhae's capital. So I suggest using this one.

Last edited:
I don't think Donggyeoung is an appropriate name for Hunchun. It's too ambiguous and could lead to confusion.

1. Nowadays when people say Donggyeoung, most of the Korean people get it as "Yeah, that's how oldies say Tokyo."

2. In Goryeo era, Donggyeoung(東京) was an another name for Gyeongju.

3. There are so many 東京 in Chinese history including Luòyáng(洛陽).

However if you use 'Donggyeoung Yongwonbu(東京龍原府)' it will only refer to Balhae's capital. So I suggest using this one.
Too long. Ryongwon/Yongwon is enough. Also it was known as Donggyeong only when it actually a capital of Balhae. There's no need for it having Gyeong (京) morpheme in its name when not being one of capitals.

2. I know. It stopped being called so in 1307 though.
3. Doesn't matter since Chinese pronounciation is different.

Too long. Ryongwon/Yongwon is enough. Also it was known as Donggyeong only when it actually a capital of Balhae. There's no need for it having Gyeong (京) morpheme in its name when not being one of capitals.

2. I know. It stopped being called so in 1307 though.
3. Doesn't matter since Chinese pronounciation is different.

Yeah, but the predicted area of Ryongwon/Yongwon is kinda far from Hunchun's area in EU4(sample picture, right most Red dot means Donggyeong and surrounding area is Yongwon: http://arim.pe.kr/liguard_bbs/aribbs/data_file/li_ancient_254_balhaejibang.jpg) That's why I came up with strangely long name.

Last edited:
Yeah, but the predicted area of Ryongwon/Yongwon is kinda far from Hunchun's area in EU4(sample picture, right most Red dot means Donggyeong and surrounding area is Yongwon: http://arim.pe.kr/liguard_bbs/aribbs/data_file/li_ancient_254_balhaejibang.jpg) That's why I came up with strangely long name.
If Wikipedia is to be trusted and old Donggyeong is now Hunchun city, then it is fine. Hunchun is a border town, so on low resolution map it is hard to exactly pinpoint its location, especially without modern borders placed.