• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
One Step Forward, One Step Back

The first second footman stood leaned over Philippe’s shoulder with the tray of the first dish, salmon, as Philippe reached to his left, taking a piece of fish while the under butler was pouring Adrien’s wine. The conversations were mixed, and tonight Philippe would be the first to break the silence as Adrien was busy cutting into the salmon. “Sir.” Philippe began, “Now that we are to be here in France, I was wondering.” Philippe hesitated.

“Wondering about?” Adrien smiled back at Philippe, picking up his wine glass and taking a sip. It was an older wine that he had brought with him from Paris.

“As you said.” Philippe continued, taking a sip of his own, heavily watered wine. “We will be staying here in France.” A small smile visible on Philippe’s lips as he said it. “I was wondering if I could enlist in the École Spéciale Militaire de Saint-Cyr and continue my studies there. It’s the only one to rival the Theresianische Militärakademie here in France and I don’t want to spend too long sitting here and falling behind.” Philippe finished, cutting into his fish.

“You wish to continue your military studies?” Adrien said, ceasing to eat as he looked at Philippe who in turn nodded his head while chewing on a piece of salmon. Adrien just chuckled slightly and returned to his fish, “No, that is not your future, the French military is for the poor, the uneducated and the masses.”

Philippe looked up at Adrien, raising an eyebrow, “Then why was I enrolled to begin with? I want to finish what I started.”

“When we enrolled you as a cadet in Austria, you may have had a fortune but no land. Your father, the late Prince of Condé was the first and foremost landlord of France, with vast estates, princely homes, and hundreds if not thousands of farmers under him.” Adrien commented, eating another piece of salmon. “Now all of that has befallen you, you are the new Prince of Condé in all but title, and perhaps that you do not have the title is for the best. You are not your father’s legitimate son, so should the title die with him his perhaps most fitting. You will eventually receive a title regardless, most likely a peerage.”

“And why do you imagine that I will receive a title, or a peerage?” Philippe asked curiously as they both continued with their fish, the under butler refilling both their glasses.

“As I said, Philippe.” Adrien first said, taking a sip of wine again before continuing. “You are the Prince in all but title and name, you own all the land and property. You will be at the forefront of French social life. The nobility may always look down upon you for your birth, but they would never want you not to be part of them. Far better they can look down on your birth, than it can be said in the streets of Paris and France at large that the largest and richest landowner in France is a commoner. That would put them all to shame, the nobility as a whole. It would be too clear a symbol of their decline.”

“Oh.” Philippe just uttered, taking another bite, “Do you not wish for me to be Prince of Condé?” He asked his stepfather, leaning back in his chair as he did.

“I don’t know.” Adrien countered, “I think it would do you more good not to, to receive a dukedom of your own. The Principality of Condé is associated with the Royal Family and that family is no longer here. I would rather not have you be too attached to the new royal house. It brings certain advantages, but also disadvantages.” Though Philippe could not wonder if that comment came more from their latest meeting with the new King, it had gone less than smooth. “Titles are good, but they can only do so much for you.” He finished with Philippe just nodding.

“I suppose.” Philippe paused, “A new title would also be my own, a fresh start.”

“Exactly.” Adrien commented with a smile before Philippe went back to an earlier question.

“But my father was in the military, my grandfather, even you. Would you not wish for me to be in it as well?” Philippe sipped some wine before taking the last bite of his salmon.

“That was a different age, and until very recently I was not even a Baron. No, I have contacted your first tutor, to continue your Latin and keep you occupied until I structure together a proper education for you.” Adrien sat in thought for a moment while the servants cleared the plates, “Perhaps a marriage of you to a proper duchess would also do you well.” He said before shaking his head, “You never know. But don’t worry, I shall have some tutors for you before long.” He finished as the servants brought in the roasted chickens for the main course and the evening continued.

The Palais-Royal, Paris

The Condé affair had almost sapped Philippe VII's usual reserves of patience. He had done as his sister and his nephew Armentières had asked and settled the sums and properties in favor of Armentières' younger brother; it was now up to those two to deal with the younger brother's troublesome guardians. He did not want to be bothered with the matter further aside from ensuring Feuchères and Dawes did not spend or use Condé's legacy of 30 million francs and various properties in ways not permitted by the will. All this talk of money had turned the King's mind to his own wealth and how to properly distribute it. In addition to the Crown estate, the King had his Orleans appanage, and his private property to take care of it.

Due to their status as premier princes du sang, the kingdom's treasury paid for the Orleans' household of 265 staff and officers. Along with towns and buildings, the family derived income from its forests on the ducal lands at Orléans, Valois, Chartres, Beaugency, Montargis, Romorantin, Dourdan, Bruadan, Villers-Cotterêts, Laigne, Coucy, La Fère, Marle, and Saint-Gobin. This income was further bolstered by the assets of the House of Penthièvre which had come into their possession by marriage. Steps were taken even before he assumed the throne to provide for his large family and separate the assets of the appanage from being absorbed into the Crown estate. All told, Philippe VII was the richest man in all of France; even after separating out his revenues from the Civil List.

Even though Philippe VII could count on vast revenues there was a need to employ staff to manage such sums. In the past he had time to do this personally but the needs of state were increasingly taking up his time. He had recently created Alexandre Descombes (@naxhi24) a baron and his bank was on the rise. While Lafitte and his allies were at the forefront of managing the Orleanist movement in general the King thought it wise to have his personal assets and the maintenance of the appanage separate from these affairs. Thus a summons was sent to the Baron Descombes to make his way to the Palais-Royal to discuss such business before the King.

Last edited:
Thus a summons was sent to the Baron Descombes to make his way to the Palais-Royal to discuss such business before the King.

Chateau de Descombes
Doubs

The messenger knocked on the door of the Chateau, the cold December afternoon nipping on the man. A few seconds later, the door was answered by Francois, the estate's butler. "Monsieur, may I help you?"

"Letter from Paris for the Baron Descombes." said the messenger.

"The Baron Descombes is a bit pre-occupied at the moment. His father is currently suffering from a cancer of the liver, and the son has been aiding him in his everyday tasks. I will gladly give him the letter though." said Francois, reaching out for the letter.

"It is of most urgency that it is delivered to him." said the messenger, handing the letter to Francois.

"Yes, yes, I will ensure it reaches the young Baron's hands." said Francois. "Good day, monsieur." He turned and proceeded to close the door. Francois walked up the stairs towards the study and knocked on the door. Alexandre opened it. Francois saw Alexandre's father reading over some papers.

"Francois, you need my father?" asked Alexandre.

"No... I need you." said Francois, extending the letter to Alexandre. "Came just recently from Paris."

Alexandre took the letter. "Thank you Francois." Alexandre closed the door behind him as he re-entered the study.

"The firm wasn't suppose to send its report in for another day..." said Robert.

"It is not a report father." said Alexandre, as he opened the letter. He read it to himself, and his eyes went from apathy to startled in a matter of seconds. He read the paper careful, and Robert noticed that he even glanced over it a second time. "It is a summon..." said Alexandre, in a shocked tone.

"A summon? Does the bank request you? Perhaps it is Rothschild wanting to meet with you?" said Robert.

"No... it isn't either of those things..." said Alexandre.

"Then who summoned you?" asked Robert.

Alexandre hesitated, and lowered the letter. "Philippe VII..."

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Four Days Later
Paris

The Palais-Royal was as magnificent as Alexandre believed it to be. He never had been inside the Palais-Royal, but had come to know its owner, the King, as a fine man along with the rest of France. Alexandre knew that due to the fact that the summon was to the Palais-Royal, the possibility of this being a state-affair was rather slim, and it probably was a personal meeting with the King. The cold December air stung at Alexandre as he walked towards the entrance to the Palais. He knocked on the door, and waited.

A servant opened the door. "Monsieur, may I help you?"

"Yes, I am the Baron Descombes. His Majesty summoned me here..." said Alexandre.

"Ah yes, His Majesty has been expecting you. Follow me." said the servant as he led Alexandre into the Palais. He was led into a room, and was told to wait. As such, he sat down in a chair, and waited. His nervousness was rather noticeable. Before long, he would be meeting the King himself...

Excerpt from the private diary of the Marquise d’Armentières

December 9th, 1830

“Had another terrible night today, with nightmares keeping me awake most of it for fear of falling to their dark embrace once again should I dare to close my arms. The dead child keeps haunting me, and the bliss from the happy moments with Louis and Charlotte keeps eluding me as I feel a dark and powerful force slowly rising inside of me, nesting in my stomach and sapping my will to carry on with my day.

I fear of confiding in Henri, for I believe he has not noticed my bouts of despair. It might be difficult for him to understand it anyway, given that he is so strong and he bears so much on his shoulders. Surely, I would look like a fool not being able to feed myself from the happiness of two beautiful living child and rather choosing the sorrow and the curse of three dead ones.

In the meantime, I must keep going on. I have duties, to my husband, but most importantly, to my children. I have heard from my cousin today, his wife is yet again with child. Will I ever be? Should I ever be, for it seems that death has decided to nest in my womb, with pain and sorrow so great as to suffocate the twinkling light of a new life.

I must chase away such feelings, but they keep coming back. Anyways, time to write more letters, the diktats of social life are cruel masters. Time to be overjoyed by every letter. Duty awaits.”

Following a brief consultation with Duval, Armentiéres submits a revised proposal to the Chamber. He delivers the following brief statement.

"Having been made aware of concerns regarding the substance of Article 26 of the Charter, the following proposal is submitted to the Chamber for review and approval."

Amendment no.1 to the Charter of 1830
I. Article 26 is hereby abolished and replaced with the following text, "The members of the King's family who stand in the line of succession, including those designated princes of the blood, shall not be eligible to receive a peerage, nor to sit in the Chamber of Peers."

nkLwgRX.png

I. The Minister of the Interior shall appoint a committee, to consist of several notables and learned individuals, which shall be tasked with redrawing the borders of the arrondissements to ensure that their borders are appropriate to serve as electoral districts and that they contain within them a sufficient and balanced number of electors. This committee shall meet once every ten years, with its decisions to take effect in the following election.

II. Each arrondissement shall elect one deputy every five years, or at the instance of any general election, who shall be required to be a legal resident of the department which he represents. Additionally, no individual who does not pay taxes may run for election as a deputy.
IIa. If a deputy becomes incapable of holding his seat through either death or incapacity, the King may appoint an interim deputy; or the seat shall remain vacant until the next general election.

III. There shall be at least one voting station for each canton included within an arrondissement. Additionally, for every 200,000 general residents of a department, an additional station shall be required.

IV. Individuals, displaying certification of their identity, may obtain legal documents allowing them to designate an individual to vote on their behalf at their assigned voting station. If documents are received, the individual may not, under any circumstances, personally vote, and the representative vote may only be received at a designated voting station.

V. The subprefect of an arrondissement shall be responsible for the organization of elections, the selection of polling stations, and releasing information, subject to oversight by the prefect of the department.
Va. If an election organizer or any individual working under his jurisdiction is found to have tampered with the results of an election, impeded the voting of legally-capable individuals, failed to disseminate information in a timely manner, or otherwise disrupted the manner of elections as prescribed in this law, the perpetrator of the crime shall be charged with a capital offense.

VI. All citizens of France who pay at least two-hundred francs of tax yearly shall be eligible to serve as electors. Should an arrondissement contain fewer than one-hundred fifty eligible electors based on this qualification, their ranks shall be filled by those nearest to eligibility, in order of greatest tax paid to least.

VII. The Law on the Election of Deputies and all other conflicting laws and statutes are hereby repealed.

Article I. All citizens of France who pay at least two-hundred and forty francs of tax yearly shall be eligible to serve as electors. Should an arrondissement contain fewer than one-hundred fifty eligible electors based on this qualification, their ranks shall be filled by those nearest to eligibility, in order of greatest tax paid to least.
I. All electors eligible to vote in national elections shall be eligible to vote in communal elections.

II. Every five years, or the year following a general election, the communal electors shall elect from their number a communal council consisting of eleven members. On no occasion shall the general election and the communal election take place at the same time.

III. The communal council shall nominate from among its number a mayor, whose position shall be confirmed by the King, and who shall preside over the council and the commune. In communes consisting of fewer than three-thousand individuals, the prefect of the department shall instead confirm the appointment of the mayor.

IV. The mayor of the commune shall be charged with faithfully executing the laws, statutes, and ordinances of the Kingdom on the communal level and his decisions shall be subject to the approval of the communal council.
I. The National Board of Education, previously known as the Royal Board of Education, shall be the general authority on education within France. Its membership shall consist of secular officials, appointed by the Minister of Public Education and confirmed by the King, as well as one clerical liaison appointed in the same manner. It shall be headed by a President nominated from among its membership and confirmed by the King. The National Board of Education shall be tasked with overseeing the primary schools, national colleges, academies, and universities of France.

Ia. Primary schools shall provide the basic level of education and be responsible for educating their students in reading, writing, and arithmetic.

Ib. Colleges, previously known as royal colleges, shall provide the middle level of education. They shall instruct their students in ancient Greek and Latin, history, rhetoric, logic and elements of mathematical and physical sciences for further education at the academies or universities, service at national colleges or primary schools, or for service to the Nation at large.

Ic. Academies shall provide the uppermost level of education, co-equal with universities and be charged with instructing their students in the sciences, engineering, mathematics, and industry. They shall be permitted autonomy over their curricula, so long as those curricula conform with basic standards set forth by the National Board of Education.

Id. Universities shall provide the uppermost level of education, co-equal with academies, and shall be charged with instructing their students in law, medicine, the humanities, and theology. They shall be permitted autonomy over their curricula, so long as those curricula conform with basic standards set forth by the National Board of Education.

II. The costs of educating the pupils of the public primary schools shall be borne by the Nation, unless that pupil should prematurely terminate his studies, at which point the pupil and his family shall be responsible for all previous costs. Enrollment in public primary school is not compulsory. Students at the public colleges, academies, and universities shall be responsible for their own cost of education unless otherwise provided for by law.

III. The composition of the public school faculties shall consist of secular instructors, each to teach subjects in accordance with their field of specialty. No teacher shall be permitted to teach within a public school should they lack accreditation in the field of teaching.

IV. Public schools which presently include clerical or ordained staff or instructors are to be placed under secular management, and to gradually employ qualified secular instructors as they become available.

V. Private primary schools, colleges, and universities may be established and maintained using private funds. Such privately-maintained schools may be operated under alternative structures and curricula, so long as their curricula are acknowledged as fulfilling the needs of their pupils by the National Board of Education and their instructors have received accreditation in the field of teaching.

VI. The Law on the Education of the French People and all other conflicting laws and statutes are hereby abolished.
I. The Law on the Assumption of Pecuniary Control is repealed.
II. The Law on the Recognition of the Bourse is reinstated.
III. The Law on the Private Printing of Specie is reinstated.
IV. The maximum private interest rate is raised from 5% to 10%.

I. The Law on the Restitution of Property is repealed.
II. The Law of the Indemnification is repealed.
III. All indemnification payments related to those laws are to end immediately.
IV. The Committee on the Restitution of Property is to be abolished.
I. The Law on the General Security is repealed.
II. The Law on the Amendment to the Penal Code is repealed.
III. The Direction Royal de Sécurité de l'État (DRSE) is abolished.
IV. The Bill on the Governance of Voluntary Associations is repealed.
V. Those accused of political crimes or crimes of the press shall be entitled to trial by jury in accordance with the manner provided by law for other Crimes (felonies).
I. The practice of Prefects drawing up juror lists from selected members of the Electoral roll is abolished. The Electoral roll will be used as the candidate pool for a lottery of randomized juror selection in each Department.
I. All prior laws and ordinances designating the manpower of the army and the officer corps are hereby obsolete. This power returns to the legislature where it resides, in accordance with the Charter of 1830. Annually a law on army estimates will be required of the legislature.
I. Article 26 is hereby abolished and replaced with the following text, "The members of the King's family who stand in the line of succession, including those designated princes of the blood, shall not be eligible to receive a peerage, nor to sit in the Chamber of Peers."

-
A note on amendments to laws. If you vote yes/yes [original bill/amendment] it means if the amendment fails you lend your support to the original bill. If you vote no/yes it means if the amendment fails you do not lend your support to the original bill, but if the amendment passes and the original bill fails, the amended bill passes. If you vote no/no you obviously support neither.

The final law requires 2/3rds approval.

Law on Elections: Oui/No/Abst.
Amendment to the Law on Elections: Oui/No/Abst.
Law on Communal Governance: Oui/No/Abst.
Law on Public Education: Oui/No/Abst.
Law on Finance Reform: Oui/No/Abst.
Law on Deficit Prevention: Oui/No/Abst.
Law on the Civil Liberties: Oui/No/Abst.
Law on the Electoral Rolls: Oui/No/Abst.
Law on the Army Lists: Oui/No/Abst.
Law on the Abolition of Article 26 of the Charter of 1830: Oui/No/Abst.

[Bonus]
[Voted Party or Presumed Party]

- Name

Everyone, minus the specifically excluded players, may vote. Twenty-four hours.

Law on Elections: Oui
Amendment to the Law on Elections: No
Law on Communal Governance: Oui
Law on Public Education: Oui
Law on Finance Reform: Oui
Law on Deficit Prevention: Oui
Law on the Civil Liberties: Oui
Law on the Electoral Rolls: Oui
Law on the Army Lists: Oui
Law on the Abolition of Article 26 of the Charter of 1830: Oui

[Presidential Bastard, Minister: +3 PP]
[Orléanist]

- Henri d'Armentiéres

Amendment to the Law on Elections: Non

[No Bonus]
[Orléanist]

- Matéo Gagnon, Deputy for Nievre

Law on Elections: Non
Amendment to the Law on Elections: Oui
Law on the Abolition of Article 26 of the Charter of 1830: Non

[Résistance, +1.25]
[Orléanist]

220px-Arago_Francois_portrait.jpg

Name: Clément Larousse
Born: August 28th, 1781
Party: Orléanist
Profession: Deputy

Background: Larousse was born into a family of lawyers, his father Jean-Marie Larousse being a member of the Parlement du Dauphiné. Clément grew up at first in a happy and tranquil environment in his family's home in the city of Grenoble, however the Revolution upset the perfect tranquility of his house. Jean-Marie Larousse was elected as a deputy for the Third Estate to the Estates-General called in 1789 among the infamous Dauphiné delegation. Jean-Marie was an early supporter of the revolution and allied to the Marquis de Lafayette during the era of the National Assembly. However, as a member of the National Assembly he was barred from election to the Legislative Assembly and was not successful in being elected to the National Convention. After the Insurrection of August 10th 1792, the Larousse family moved back permanently to Grenoble where they continued to serve on a small scale during the revolution. Clément Larousse entered military service when he was almost 18, first seeing action under André Massena at the Second Battle of Zurich. As a man of well off background Larousse quickly rose the ranks achieving the rank of Capitaine in 1800 after heroism at the Battle of Marengo. Larousse was a faithful Bonapartist and served at Austerlitz, Borodino, and Leipzig, surviving as he did because of his rank. Before the Russian Campaign he was promoted to chef de bataillon. After the defeat of Napoleon and the Bourbon Restoration Larousse swore loyalty to Louis XVIII and was made a Colonel. He was part of the force sent under Ney to apprehend Napoleon on his return from Elba, but enthusiastically joined the Emperor during the Hundred Days. However, he did not see action in the main front of the war, being sent under General Lamarque to defeat the uprising in the Vendée. Larousse fled into exile in Switzerland after the defeat of Napoleon at Waterloo, but was allowed to return to France in 1819. He worked as a lawyer in Grenoble until the election of 1828 when he entered the Chamber of Deputies as a Chartist candidate from the Departement of Isère. During the events of the June Revolution Larousse was one of the Deputies who assembled in the homes of Durand and Lafitte to establish the new June Monarchy under King Philippe VII. Larousse is a loyal Orléanist, but is more conservative than many of his colleagues. He values order, personal liberty, and is a devout Catholic, though certainly not in favor of the extreme clericalism of the ultraroyalistes. Larousse of course harbors an innate Bonapartism in favor of his dear Emperor that informs his desire for a strong, liberal monarch that can ensure both freedom and order.

Last edited:
Law on Deficit Prevention: Non
Law on the Civil Liberties: Abst.

[Je ne sais pas]
[Rallied Légitimist/Orléanist]

- Louis de Rohan, Prince de Guémené

Amendment to the Law on Elections: Oui

[No Bonus]
[Orléanist]

((Private - @naxhi24))

To the representative of Descombes and Company, Alexandre Descombes,

I am contacting you this day to assist me with a matter of dire need. I have need of a loan, and I have heard that your bank has proven most amiable towards the plight of the nobility in the past. For my purposes, I require a loan of one million francs. I am aware that this is no small sum, but I pray that it is not outside the realm of possibility for you to provide. I must admit that I am not familiar with the process of acquiring a loan, and I am certain you meet many others like me of the similar vein. If you are open to offering up such a loan, I look forward to making said arrangements with you.

I can assure you that you should not fear me defaulting on this loan. I do possess the means to repay the amount if necessary, but such would likely irreparably damage any future income for me and my family. I would prefer to seek other methods of procuring the funds, but I would never deign to cheat an honest businessman.

If this is all agreeable to you and your bank, I shall make myself available to sign all the necessary paperwork.

- Louis de Rohan, Prince de Guémené

A Letter to the Prince de Guémené ((@Michaelangelo))

Your Excellency.

Descombes and Company offers you a personal loan of a million francs at an interest rate of 2% a year. The only thing left needed for the bank is some form of collateral from your excellency's assets in the event that you are unable to pay off the loan. This is not a mark of distrust, it is a common practice the banking industry does in regards to loans of such magnitude. Once collateral is offered, we will gladly sign a contract for the loan at the given interest rate.

-Alexandre, Baron Descombes

Law on Finance Reform: Non!

[Starving Artist, +0PP]
[Anti-Orleanist Liberal]

[None]
[Orléanist]

-Alexandre, Baron Descombes

The trial of the Ministers remains open.

[Mouvement, Minister: +2.5 PP]
[Orléanist]

- Thibaut Duval

Four Days Later
Paris

The Palais-Royal was as magnificent as Alexandre believed it to be. He never had been inside the Palais-Royal, but had come to know its owner, the King, as a fine man along with the rest of France. Alexandre knew that due to the fact that the summon was to the Palais-Royal, the possibility of this being a state-affair was rather slim, and it probably was a personal meeting with the King. The cold December air stung at Alexandre as he walked towards the entrance to the Palais. He knocked on the door, and waited.

A servant opened the door. "Monsieur, may I help you?"

"Yes, I am the Baron Descombes. His Majesty summoned me here..." said Alexandre.

"Ah yes, His Majesty has been expecting you. Follow me." said the servant as he led Alexandre into the Palais. He was led into a room, and was told to wait. As such, he sat down in a chair, and waited. His nervousness was rather noticeable. Before long, he would be meeting the King himself...
"Ah, yes M. le Baron," welcomed the King. "We have been expecting you. Come here and sit. There are certain accounts I have discussed with M. Laffite and M. Detend that ought to be shifted to other banking houses. I have three private accounts, to the total of ₣4.5 million, that I wish to transfer to your bank and a further expectation of ₣600,000 thousand per annum depoisted to be split three ways and then to be deposited into each account. These accounts help to furnish expenses on my private estates and pay for their improvement. I have directed that no revenues from the Crown estate through the Civil List shall be used to pay for my private properties. Therefore it is essential that this money is stored in good hands."

"Ah, yes M. le Baron," welcomed the King. "We have been expecting you. Come here and sit. There are certain accounts I have discussed with M. Laffite and M. Detend that ought to be shifted to other banking houses. I have three private accounts, to the total of ₣4.5 million, that I wish to transfer to your bank and a further expectation of ₣600,000 thousand per annum depoisted to be split three ways and then to be deposited into each account. These accounts help to furnish expenses on my private estates and pay for their improvement. I have directed that no revenues from the Crown estate through the Civil List shall be used to pay for my private properties. Therefore it is essential that this money is stored in good hands."

"Your Majesty, it would be an honor for myself, my father, and for Descombes and Company, to accept your request. We shall see to it that the accounts are transferred to Descombes and Company protection and shall ensure the money transferred per annum is split into their proper accounts." said Alexandre.

[Salon Archoness, Miscarriager-in-chief .75PP]
[Orléanist]