• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

IVM.Firefly

First Lieutenant
52 Badges
May 16, 2016
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury Pre-order
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Victoria 3 Sign Up
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma Pre-order
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Imperator: Rome Sign Up
  • Hearts of Iron IV: La Resistance
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Europa Universalis 4: Emperor
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Crusader Kings II
Hello and welcome, I am a map modder mostly known for Project Parabellum and I would like to share a minimalist version of an improved map of Hungary. When making this map, I wanted to show how an improved Hungary would look if I increased the number of provinces by about 50% at most, taking into account the upcoming rework of Croatia in Emperor dlc.
I believe that many will agree with me when I say that Hungary is the sucker tag of Paradox games. In EU4, it is quite regularily hammered by their neighbours, while unable to make any real achievements. This may sound historical until you realise that within EU4 timeframe, Hungary effectively conquered Austria and made Vienna it's capital, among other things. Many vanilla provinces bear the name of historical counties, while barely having any resemblance to them. With few provinces and development, Hungary will almost c ertainly remain the Novgorod of central Europe.
20200314124654_1.jpg

Enter, my own version of Hungary I made in my free time.
New provinces provinces include Brassó, an important center of trade in Transylvania, Szeged, an important Hungarian town and a notable administrative center under Ottoman rule, Zolyóm, one of the largest sources of Europe's copper supply, Gyulafehervár,the capital of Transylvania during EU4 and Kozara a province representing the Hungarian counties in modern day Bosnia. There is of course much more that I added. For example, I renamed Hont to Kormocbánya, which during the early game was a very important mining town and is the oldest operational mint today. It would of course produce gold. I added Buda, the historical capital of Hungary on the Western side of the Danube. If Paradox believes that provinces bordering on rivers is not needed, an alternative way to do it would be keeping Buda as part of Pest and renaming the rest of Buda province Esztergom, which was a very important Hungarian city both for historical reasons and because it was the site of an Archbishopric. An optional thing I decided to include in the screenshot is Transylvania as a vassal, while I split Croatia into the 2 historical banates which existed in 1444: Croatia and Slavonia. This rework is, in my humble opinion, a clear improvement over the present iteration of Hungary and I would be very happy if I were to get a response from somebody like @Groogy . Hell, had I been given the opportunity, I would do the job necessary to make these changes fully operational in the base game.

This is how the areas could look:
20200314124654_12.jpg

I will finish this post with a note that adapting the map from my mod into this screenshot only took few hours and could be improved and adjusted as needed. A response from the devs would be very appreciated. I hope that something akin to this will soon make it to the game. Thanks for reading through all this and let me know if you would ever like to see a more in depth post :)

Some closeup shots:
upload_2020-3-15_0-39-57.png

upload_2020-3-15_0-40-21.png

upload_2020-3-15_0-40-43.png

upload_2020-3-15_0-44-12.png

upload_2020-3-15_0-44-32.png

upload_2020-3-15_0-44-54.png

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Hello and welcome, I am a map modder mostly known for Project Parabellum and I would like to share a minimalist version of an improved map of Hungary. When making this map, I wanted to show how an improved Hungary would look if I increased the number of provinces by about 50% at most, taking into account the upcoming rework of Croatia in Emperor dlc.
I believe that many will agree with me when I say that Hungary is the sucker tag of Paradox games. In EU4, it is quite regularily hammered by their neighbours, while unable to make any real achievements. This may sound historical until you realise that within EU4 timeframe, Hungary effectively conquered Austria and made Vienna it's capital, among other things. Many vanilla provinces bear the name of historical counties, while barely having any resemblance to them. With few provinces and development, Hungary will almost certainly remain the Novgorod of central Europe.View attachment 553936
Enter, my own version of Hungary I made in my free time.
New provinces provinces include Brassó, an important center of trade in Transylvania, Szeged, an important Hungarian town and a notable administrative center under Ottoman rule, Zolyóm, one of the largest sources of Europe's copper supply, Gyulafehervár,the capital of Transylvania during EU4 and Kozara a province representing the Hungarian counties in modern day Bosnia. There is of course much more that I added. For example, I renamed Hont to Kormocbánya, which during the early game was a very important mining town and is the oldest operational mint today. It would of course produce gold. I added Buda, the historical capital of Hungary on the Western side of the Danube. If Paradox believes that provinces bordering on rivers is not needed, an alternative way to do it would be keeping Buda as part of Pest and renaming the rest of Buda province Esztergom, which was a very important Hungarian city both for historical reasons and because it was the site of an Archbishopric. An optional thing I decided to include in the screenshot is Transylvania as a vassal, while I split Croatia into the 2 historical banates which existed in 1444: Croatia and Slavonia. This rework is, in my humble opinion, a clear improvement over the present iteration of Hungary and I would be very happy if I were to get a response from somebody like @Groogy . Hell, had I been given the opportunity, I would do the job necessary to make these changes fully operational in the base game.
I will finish this post with a note that adapting the map from my mod into this screenshot only took few hours and could be improved and adjusted as needed. A response from the devs would be very appreciated. I hope that something akin to this will soon make it to the game. Thanks for reading through all this and let me know if you would ever like to see a more in depth post :)

Very nice.

Seems like a very good compromise.

I would personally maybe make a few changes,

Maybe shrink Bekes by adding in Zarand and Arad.

779px-Kingdom_of_Hungary_counties.svg.png

I would use this map.

These counties remained pretty much to the 1900s.

Personally I would focus on keeping some older provinces, like Hont and Zemplen. Eger should probably be in a province of Heves or Borsod. I would also add in Kiskun south of Pest instead of Szeged. Pest and Buda should most likely remain in the same province as Budapest was united and in your setup this would not be possible.

Could you show this map with the rivers included? Similar to that, what do the states look like?

It would also most likely be wise to keep the Croatia-Hungary divide and not make it more complicated.

Very nice.

Seems like a very good compromise.

I would personally maybe make a few changes,

Maybe shrink Bekes by adding in Zarand and Arad.

View attachment 554082

I would use this map.

These counties remained pretty much to the 1900s.

Personally I would focus on keeping some older provinces, like Hont and Zemplen. Eger should probably be in a province of Heves or Borsod. I would also add in Kiskun south of Pest instead of Szeged. Pest and Buda should most likely remain in the same province as Budapest was united and in your setup this would not be possible.

Could you show this map with the rivers included? Similar to that, what do the states look like?

It would also most likely be wise to keep the Croatia-Hungary divide and not make it more complicated.
The map is anachronistic. Fortunately, I have better ones at hand. Still thanks tho. I did not take the time to sort the provinces into areas but can definitely do so. Will update the OP once I do that. As for Szeged, I believe it is more fitting than Kiskun, being a formidable town with rich history throughout the EU timeframe. Budapest did not exist for decades after the game ends so in my view it does not need to be taken into account as Danube is a good border, though Esztergóm would be a suitable substitute, as already mentioned. Thanks for feedback.

EDIT: Hont was a rather minor county and Zemplen looked nothing like the vanilla province, not to mention it was ethnically mixed. In my view, it is much better to use cities as names in such a situation. By the way, Kassa, which is the capital of vanilla Zemplen was not even a part of Zemplen. It was the capital of Abaúj county.

Last edited:
The map is anachronistic. Fortunately, I have better ones at hand. Still thanks tho. I did not take the time to sort the provinces into areas but can definitely do so. Will update the OP once I do that. As for Szeged, I believe it is more fitting than Kiskun, being a formidable town with rich history throughout the EU timeframe. Budapest did not exist for decades after the game ends so in my view it does not need to be taken into account as Danube is a good border, though Esztergóm would be a suitable substitute, as already mentioned. Thanks for feedback.

EDIT: Hont was a rather minor county and Zemplen looked nothing like the vanilla province, not to mention it was ethnically mixed. In my view, it is much better to use cities as names in such a situation. By the way, Kassa, which is the capital of vanilla Zemplen was not even a part of Zemplen. It was the capital of Abaúj county.

Jup, im aware. Its mostly the compromises you have to settle on :p.

Here is a map of a mod I am fond of.

20200314232821_1.jpg

View attachment 554134
Is that Beyond Typus? Some strange choices done in that mod, judging by this screenshot, namely Croatia having a lot of land Slavonia should have and Nitra existing. Not sure why Maramaros is Transylvanian, either. You can check out my own mod Project Parabellum, which is more based around accuracy. The screens I posted in the OP are much less detailed than that.

Sounds good to me!
Enlighten me, though:
- you want to show Transylvania as a playable independednt state, but under PU with Hungary or it's vassal to represent the level of autonomy like with Croatia?
- why are the eastern parts of Slovakia are considered as Eastern Hungary?

For example, I renamed Hont to Kormocbánya, which during the early game was a very important mining town and is the oldest operational mint today.

What about Nyitra? It's difficult to understand how can one come up with suggestions like adding / renaming to Kormocbánya and skip the largest county in the area with huge historical meaning and importance.
Also what is DES in Transylvania? Some of your choices seem very weird :)

I'd say provinces that MUST be added in Transylvania:
Feher (Alba-Iulia) - capital of Transylvania. Behind understanding how it's not in game.
Kolozs (Cluj) - possibly the most important town in Transylvania for the time frame.
Turda province can be removed / renamed.

You seem to have used some map akin to this:

53707.jpg

Although I would strongly prefer to stick with historical county names instead of towns, if there is one. I wont touch on the dynamic names for now, but some provinces like Temes and Békés could be made better imo., they seem a little bit weird, even though I get that you probably joined some historical counties to make them.

You have some interesting ideas, especially the addition of subjects.
But the naming of some provinces and areas, aswell the placement of cities and provinces are often wrong (Szeged, Buda, Szolnok, Kassa). The naming in whole Transylvania should be Hungarian. Some provinces might have Romanian culture, but the administration was still Hungarian. I hope Transylvanian Saxons will be represented once though.
Also, in the official Eu4 map, the whole Danube and Drava are drawn north to their actual flow.

I made a similar post not long ago:
https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/hungary-update.1191609/#post-25572243

52574940fc9d5a1ee301f477ef8098fd167a877415105346e4536752fd7d0e3829a206bc.jpg

20200314232821_1.jpg

This is also very interesting, even though placements are also quite unaccurate. Erdély/Transylvania, if added as a subject of Hungary, should include Szeklerland and the Saxon territorries, those only should be estates/releaseable tags.

As I doubt Paradox would add so much provinces, I created less of them in my suggestion, but these could definately serve as guidelines in case they want to create a Hungary of HRE density :3

View attachment 554134
To those asking what mod is this, i'm pretty sure it's Imperialism reinvigorated, which is basically beyond typhus but worse (aka more provinces)
to prove my point, here is a map of iberia in both mods at the most recent update as of today

Attachments

• bt vs ir.png
    bt vs ir.png
    18,3 KB · Views: 32
Buda's and Pest's capitals should be far closer to each other.

Hey, just a few things that came to my mind after taking a closer look at your map.

1. Even though the provinces in some cases follow the borders of historical counties, it doesnt look very good in comparision to other provinces outside of Hungary. This type of province drawing is usually seen in mods that have much bigger maps than vanilla EU IV and can go into detail. I would stick with the base game template of more simple provinces.

2. Consistency. Some of your provinces are named after towns while other after counties. Kassa should be Abaúj and i would also replace Kormocbánya with Nyitra.

3. Some provinces have wrong capital placement. For example, the capital of Kassa province seems to be Eperjes and the capital of Buda province seems to be Győr, which is wrong in both cases.

4. As was mentioned before, i think you made some rather weird province choices. A good example is province of Des, which i believe should be replaced with Beszterce.

Hey, just a few things that came to my mind after taking a closer look at your map.

1. Even though the provinces in some cases follow the borders of historical counties, it doesnt look very good in comparision to other provinces outside of Hungary. This type of province drawing is usually seen in mods that have much bigger maps than vanilla EU IV and can go into detail. I would stick with the base game template of more simple provinces.

2. Consistency. Some of your provinces are named after towns while other after counties. Kassa should be Abaúj and i would also replace Kormocbánya with Nyitra.

3. Some provinces have wrong capital placement. For example, the capital of Kassa province seems to be Eperjes and the capital of Buda province seems to be Győr, which is wrong in both cases.

4. As was mentioned before, i think you made some rather weird province choices. A good example is province of Des, which i believe should be replaced with Beszterce.

1. I do not seem to get your point. What do you mean by "This type" of province drawing? The changes I made make the area much more accurate, whereas most current borders in vanilla are extremely inaccurate, including the recently added ones. I could explain in depth how bad Hungary looks in vanilla... I also shifted the entire shape of Hungary to make it actually look like it looked irl (owning part of bosnia, Transylvania being clearly separated, carpathians not being giant and distortive, etc...)

2. Naming Kassa Abauj would be a travesty. Half of Abauj (the southern part) is outside of the province and therefore calling it that way would be inaccurate. Not to mention that my Kassa province also covers Zemplén, Sáros and part of Ung. That is why naming it after the undisputed capital of the province makes sense. I find it very weird that in vanilla, it is called Zemplén, and the capital is Kassa even though Kassa did not belong to it.

3. True, I made these changes trying to do it fast. I consider it a detail that is good to have ingame, but too unimportant to do in a rush.

4. I do not see what is wrong with Dés. It was a capital of a county from the middle ages up until modern times. Both it and Beszterce were important towns in the area covered by the province.