Really bright textures and missing borders [Linux]

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Christopholes

Captain
65 Badges
Oct 29, 2014
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Colonel
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Stellaris
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Stellaris: Necroids
  • Cities: Skylines
So first off Vir and all spaceships/stations are really bright
re5A8lR
and
aWw9HU9
for reference. Also my borders are missing
b7MwDrK

There's also some lag with ship movements. When playing on my Windows 10 partition I don't have any of these issues.

Files are below because I forgot how to forum.

Attachments

• Screenshot - 05112016 - 10:54:19 PM.png
    Screenshot - 05112016 - 10:54:19 PM.png
    1,3 MB · Views: 56
  • Screenshot - 05112016 - 10:33:41 PM.png
    Screenshot - 05112016 - 10:33:41 PM.png
    1,5 MB · Views: 51
  • Screenshot - 05112016 - 10:26:22 PM.png
    Screenshot - 05112016 - 10:26:22 PM.png
    1,4 MB · Views: 44
I have the same problem with borders (I can see the coour of explored space, but no political colours of each empire, also sectors are white transparent patches), but not with the ships I think. I run Stellaris on Fedora 23. No similar problems on Windows.

Last edited:
I use Arch Linux and I don't have any graphical issues like that. I do have serious lag and stutter problems though, which seems to be identical to the Windows users and so that doesn't seem to be OS related.

For your graphics, what kernel are you using and which graphics drivers and versions?

Kernel is 3.13.0-86 generic
My linux partition just uses the generic intel graphics driver because it has issues with the nvidia driver and my laptop has both.

Kernel is 3.13.0-86 generic
Kernel 3.13 was released in January 2014: there has been quite a few bug fixes/new features since then. It would be interesting to test with kernel 4.4, 4.5 or 4.6 to see if it still happens.
I assume the same goes for your Mesa version: trying 11.2 would be nice.

Reactions:
Edit: The problem disappeared after updating driver to later experimental one.

I have encountered no-border problems on my Linux machine just recently and I have AMD card.

From the post on the steam discussion forum, it looks like the problem does not only occur on Intel cards: http://steamcommunity.com/app/281990/discussions/0/357286033301071416/

Last edited:
Which version of Mesa do you have (you can check by running `glxinfo | grep OpenGL` in a console)? And which version of the kernel (check by running `uname -r`)?

Mesa version is 11.2.2
Linux kernel is 4.4.11

I should add that I'm not experiencing the the problem with the white textures like the OP. Just the lack of political and sector borders.

You might want to check it on Low GFX quality. On my Radeon 6670 + Mesa 11.2, country colors are visible when playing on Low - and invisible on medium/high.
I just tested this and it is true that borders will show up on the low graphics setting. They don't appear to display correctly however. I attached a screenshot showing the problem.

Sector borders even on low are not visible.

Attachments

• 20160604195923_1.jpg
    20160604195923_1.jpg
    225,3 KB · Views: 32
Mesa version is 11.2.2
Linux kernel is 4.4.11

I should add that I'm not experiencing the the problem with the white textures like the OP. Just the lack of political and sector borders.

That should be recent enough, especially regarding Mesa and I doubt this is a kernel bug.

I just tested this and it is true that borders will show up on the low graphics setting. They don't appear to display correctly however. I attached a screenshot showing the problem.

Sector borders even on low are not visible.

You should open a https://bugs.freedesktop.org, under `Product: Mesa`, `Component: Drivers/Gallium/radeonsi` (or maybe Drivers/Gallium/r600, I don't know which one you are using), along with screenshots, kernel/Mesa version, and I guess they might enjoy an APItrace of the game showing the issue (see https://apitrace.github.io/) as you can easily retest the same commands on other drivers / hardware.

I also have that problem on ArchLinux with
Kernel 4.6.4
Mesa 12.0.1
HD Graphics 520 GPU
Using low graphics settings also doesn't work for me, I think these settings don't work for me at all. It's always high. Has anyone any suggestions on how to fix that?

It's really sad that paradox doesn't want to support Intel. At least they could get a better reason for not supporting it, then saying it is too slow. Because it is perfectly playable on high and full hd for me. Except the missing borders of course.

same problem hiere with ATI Opensource drivers. As AMD not supporting newer xserver iam stuck with that, as for Linux Mint and Ubuntu there are no more ATI drivers from AMD

same problem hiere with ATI Opensource drivers. As AMD not supporting newer xserver iam stuck with that, as for Linux Mint and Ubuntu there are no more ATI drivers from AMD
You should open a bug report (cf. previous comments) with details about your hardware and which versions of Mesa (the kernel as well, maybe) you are using. Getting an APItrace would be quite handy as well.

You might want to check it on Low GFX quality. On my Radeon 6670 + Mesa 11.2, country colors are visible when playing on Low - and invisible on medium/high.
I have an AMD Radeon 6870 and can confirm this. Using the newest free/libre driver fixed that weird mouse cursor. But in order to see the borders I too have to set the graphics quality to low; otherwise I don't see them.

AMD users that have a card from the generation after ours report that with the (newest?) free/libre drivers they don't need that workaround. They see the borders just fine.